REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #3326
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
my smoked repeaters/sidemarkers (on a dark grey vehicle) have DOT SAE on them but no reflective properties, got them mainly for poor weather/evening visibility because the LED strips are much brighter than stock

Spoiler!

safe from VI?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #3327
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Can you post a pic of the car? 4k to fix a mk4 sounds insane.
Sure, here's a picture from April. It isn't lowered anymore and the smoked lights are gone (except for the tail lights ofc).

I can't remember all of it, but the dealership (I assume) wanted to replace the entire exhaust system, as they found a leak, claimed it had no catalytic converter (it has a high-flow cat) and didn't like the rear O2 spacer I have it on to prevent a CEL from the cat. So that's likely where most of the cost came from. They also claimed the left front strut was installed incorrectly (not sure how that's even possible?) after I had the stock springs and shocks put in, and there's an oil leak at the turbo. There were some other minor things but that was the major stuff they didn't like. The other shop passed it as the dealership failed it, except for replacing a worn rear brake line.

https://i.imgur.com/pwhgVmM.jpg

Last edited by Slikk; 07-03-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Slikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #3328

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
my smoked repeaters/sidemarkers (on a dark grey vehicle) have DOT SAE on them but no reflective properties, got them mainly for poor weather/evening visibility because the LED strips are much brighter than stock

Spoiler!

safe from VI?
I've been told the VPD hate any smoked lights - and as I previously mentioned the cop that pulled me over didn't like my factory tail lights and claimed they must be aftermarket - but as your car looks relatively stock otherwise they might not bother you just for that. It all depends on the cop that sees you though, everything is up to the officer's discretion.

They really don't like reflectors being made non-reflective, that's one of the things the cop who pulled me complained about with both my front side markers and fender repeaters (even though the factory repeaters aren't reflectors and aren't required to be), apparently it's a big safety issue as it lowers the visibility of the car (sarcasm, but that's what the cop told me). I'm not sure how Europe gets by with no front side markers at all, it must be total anarchy over there.

It's my opinion that most of the reason I was pulled over was because my car was so low. The rest was just easy pickings after the cop had me pulled over.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #3329
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,689 Times in 3,124 Posts
Can't believe this shit is still going on. I'd figure Cain's vendetta would blow over within a few months but here we are still dealing with this shit half a year later.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #3330
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
It's actually coming close to a year, in about 2/3 months

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #3331

even though they look like something a high school kid would put on a prelude they blend in pretty well with dark grey exterior and i'm on stock 4x4 height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikk View Post
It's my opinion that most of the reason I was pulled over was because my car was so low. The rest was just easy pickings after the cop had me pulled over.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #3332

Quote:
even though they look like something a high school kid would put on a prelude they blend in pretty well with dark grey exterior and i'm on stock 4x4 height
That's why I prefer the smoked lights, they look far nicer on a black car than the factory bright orange.

I'm hoping I'm not worth the VPD's time now that my car is SUV height, not sure I want to test the theory by putting all the smoked lights back though.

I do plan to swap the headlights back at least, as I much prefer the HIDs over halogens (and yes they are euro certified projector housings with correct beam pattern for LHD).
Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #3333
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Curious what the rules are on side markers and the issue with them being blacked out as my car doesn't even have side markers from factory (Canadian 2009 lexus isf). Did they happen to reference something in the MVA?
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #3334

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Curious what the rules are on side markers and the issue with them being blacked out as my car doesn't even have side markers from factory (Canadian 2009 lexus isf). Did they happen to reference something in the MVA?
It does appear to have them from pictures I found, they're just integrated into the headlights. They're the orange strip on the side of the headlight assemblies.

Not sure about the MVA to be honest, after checking this is all I could find:
Quote:
Side-marker lamps
4.12 (1) A vehicle may be equipped with

(a) 2 side-marker lamps, mounted on each side of the vehicle near the front, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light, and

(b) 2 side-marker lamps, mounted on each side of the vehicle near the rear, that are capable of displaying only amber or red light.

(2) The side-marker lamps referred to in subsection (1) may operate in conjunction with turn signal lamps or the hazard warning signal.

Reflective devices
4.21 (3) Only amber reflectors may be mounted on the front or side of a vehicle.
It doesn't seem to indicate anywhere that reflectors are required, just that they're allowed and must be amber. It might be in the CVSE instead, I don't have access to a copy of that. It could also be a US requirement, and as such we just get them as well. In any case VPD seems to like to apply the MVA and CVSE interchangeably as it suits them, or just plain make shit up.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #3335
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
In any case VPD seems to like to apply the MVA and CVSE interchangeably as it suits them, or just plain make shit up.
I had this pain... The CVSE mandates it, but MVA states if there is reflectors they must be proper color.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #3336
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
It does appear to have them from pictures I found, they're just integrated into the headlights. They're the orange strip on the side of the headlight assemblies.
Ah, okay. That makes sense then. I was looking for separate ones on the fender like the Golf pic above. Funny enough, the European IS's come with an actual indicator/reflector on the fender so it's something that they explicitly excluded on the N.A. models. I'm sure there are other cars that are like this as well.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #3337

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Ah, okay. That makes sense then. I was looking for separate ones on the fender like the Golf pic above. Funny enough, the European IS's come with an actual indicator/reflector on the fender so it's something that they explicitly excluded on the N.A. models. I'm sure there are other cars that are like this as well.
That is funny, especially as the European Mk4 Golf had no side markers/reflectors on the bumper, and neither do European BMWs. I guess the Germans and Japanese have different ideas about how it should be done
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #3338

i believe all modern cars sold in US has it, either on fender or integrated into headlamp/taillight assembly

and of course it costs too much money to also import models without them for a small market like Canada so we get them too (like the California emissions sticker under the hood)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #3339
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When I was stopped at a roadblock, the first thing the officer looked at on my car were the front side reflectors to make sure they were amber.

I was lucky, cause I actually decided to switch out my clear side reflectors back to the amber ones that morning too.

It might also depend on the officer whether they will give you a ticket for it or not.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #3340
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
i believe all modern cars sold in US has it, either on fender or integrated into headlamp/taillight assembly

and of course it costs too much money to also import models without them for a small market like Canada so we get them too (like the California emissions sticker under the hood)
I have reflectors on my front bumper and they have a little LED in the corner of the headlight unit that's also on. Though a lot of people disable the little LED. My taillights have the reflector built into the assembly so nothing on the rear bumper.

Not my picture

https://i.imgur.com/6U6p19r.jpg
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #3341
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Jesus Christ, your VW looked stock...
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #3342

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Jesus Christ, your VW looked stock...
I wish haha. I can fit my whole fist in between the tire and fender now on all four corners.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #3343
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
I have a question, my old goat of a neighbor is trying to get the cops involved because whenever i turn on my car or come back home she complains it's too loud. I try and accommodate by leaving as quick as possible but she still complains, she won't even let me idle the car for 30 seconds to warm up the motor and supercharger.

Granted my garage is facing the back alley and her 100 year old house is right in front of my garage; the garage makes the car sound louder than it actually is. When i drive its nowhere near as loud as most cars, it's only when im in the garage.

So my question is, can they issue a VI or a ticket for excessive noise even if the exhaust is not louder than it actually is????

I have a Jaguar XFR-S with an aftermarket x pipe and mufflers, the only difference is the stock exhaust had a bit larger mufflers and a resonator on the x pipe.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #3344
Need to Seek Professional Help

The frequency from your exhaust might be causing her physical discomfort. My wife has a stock wrx and we park in an underground lot. On startup she says the frequency and vibrations hurt her ears.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #3345
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Two modified cars received Box 1 VIs with plates taken at a Timmies meet in Victoria Friday night. What's funny is people still call it Revscene because it has been going on for 20 plus years. Police were there waiting at 830pm for the 9pm start with 7 cruisers and 15 officers. Low and behold a 240sx VI says to take it to a certified Nissan facility. An Eagle talon was told to take theirs to a certified Chrysler facility.

Sounds like they have learned from Vancouver PD and have decided to go after loud or modified vehicles in Victoria.

Police also allegedly said they would be at the meet with tow trucks every Friday night.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #3346
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 5,108 Posts
^
I read on Facebook people said Saanich police have been doing this for weeks now
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #3347

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
I have a question, my old goat of a neighbor is trying to get the cops involved because whenever i turn on my car or come back home she complains it's too loud. I try and accommodate by leaving as quick as possible but she still complains, she won't even let me idle the car for 30 seconds to warm up the motor and supercharger.

Granted my garage is facing the back alley and her 100 year old house is right in front of my garage; the garage makes the car sound louder than it actually is. When i drive its nowhere near as loud as most cars, it's only when im in the garage.
just don't open the garage gate until you're warmed up

i think when i turn into an old goat, i'd be a little annoyed too if it's at like 6:30am
Old 07-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #3348
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^i guess so, i leave for work at 8:30am and come back at 8pm and weekends i barely go out, half the time i get a ride. Yet she claims my car is waking her up at midnight a lot. Shitty part is i apologize to her and tell her I'll be gone in a few more months but she doesn't care. (Moved into my parents house as i was living and working on the island until last August, but my apartment here isn't going to be ready until end of this year)

Apparently she's a bit of a neighborhood natzi. the other house across the street told me they had numerous complaints and threats about their Harley road glide which is completely stock. A young couple who bought house behind me, who share the same alley also got complaints for renovations they were doing to the house by themselves.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #3349
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,434 Times in 5,108 Posts
Nothing wrong with 8:30am tell her to pound sand
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #3350
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
^i guess so, i leave for work at 8:30am and come back at 8pm and weekends i barely go out, half the time i get a ride. Yet she claims my car is waking her up at midnight a lot. Shitty part is i apologize to her and tell her I'll be gone in a few more months but she doesn't care. (Moved into my parents house as i was living and working on the island until last August, but my apartment here isn't going to be ready until end of this year)

Apparently she's a bit of a neighborhood natzi. the other house across the street told me they had numerous complaints and threats about their Harley road glide which is completely stock. A young couple who bought house behind me, who share the same alley also got complaints for renovations they were doing to the house by themselves.
Honestly they can't do shit if "noise is not excessive" and the noise is reasonable during the hours, I recall 7am-9pm. Also as long as your not jack hammering noise loud, there's nothing for you to worry about. I start up and drive down the block to idle/warm up before I leave everyday. Not that I did anything wrong, just don't want to create nuisance from my loud car =P. End of the day, sounds like neighbour just complaining to you or other neighbours directly? Doesn't sound like city is involved because there is no way city would do anything from the sounds of the situation because the noise isn't happening at midnight disturbing others from rest.

Plus cop can't do jack all because your car is inside your own house in your own private property. Until your car is on the city street, that's another story.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote