REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #3551
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
For the exhaust test, how far should the device be and what's the maximum dB? I'm curious because of all the press cars I get access to I want to test to see how loud some of these stock exhaust are.
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #3552
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I’d bet every single new BMW, Benz and Audi that has any sort of sport package at any model will be over the decibal limit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #3553
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
For the exhaust test, how far should the device be and what's the maximum dB? I'm curious because of all the press cars I get I want to test to see how loud some of these stock exhaust are.
Iirc 1 meter away, one meter to the left or right, and 1 meter off the ground
Old 10-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #3554
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
For the exhaust test, how far should the device be and what's the maximum dB? I'm curious because of all the press cars I get I want to test to see how loud some of these stock exhaust are.
They did mine at 19 inches. I recorded the whole thing and how the copy got in my car and revved it without my consent.
Rays95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #3555
My homepage has been set to RS

hm yes the test should be 20 inches at a 45 degree angle from your exhaust...finally somebody recorded a vi incident....
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #3556
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays95 View Post
Was pulled over just recently for loud exhaust and got a BOX 1 (plates stripped & towed)
The vi paper says unnecessary noise from exhaust and window tint (front side windows have very light tint film)

ATM was approaching an intersection near Science world.
Pressed on the brakes to slow down (was not speeding). The car down shifts and revs up a bit and i guess that's what the cop heard.
He was hiding somewhere on a motorcycle.
Pulled me over... said that i was "racing" and "stunt driving" (while in traffic... yea ok)

Asked for license and reg papers. (Provided both)
Pulled out his Decibel meter, asked me to rev to 4-4500 rpm.
I was hesitant to go as high as he wanted. I don't rev my car like that. But revved to 2-3000 rpm.
He told me to get out and he'll do it himself.
He called for back up. Another cop showed up in a suv.
He showed the other cop where to hold the decibel meter.
I asked him if he is allow to enter the vehicle and operate it without my consent. (he said yes) (2 lawyer firms I spoke with said that's not true)
And while he was revving it I'm sure he went over 4-4500 rpm. Maybe even redlined.

The decibel meter read 113.
Handed me a vi for loud exhaust and front side window tint.
And a violation ticket for both those things.
- Unnecessary noise $109 + 3 points. (7A.01)
- Window tint (film) $109 (73.05(8))

He didn't look at the rest of the car, just underneath (exhaust area). There was nothing else to look at really. He was more concerned about the exhaust mostly.
The cop was nice up to the point where he was forcing me to rev the car higher. That changed his mood quickly. While idling the exhaust sounds like stock.
He didn't really know much about exhausts. All he knew was what a muffler looks like. What caught his attention was my exhaust tips (Akrapovic). So he wrote down on paper that i have Akrapovic exhaust system. But in fact it is not. The brand name was right in front of him and he didn't even notice it.

My car is stock height
Oem wheels are in spec
Just some minor cosmetic mods.. (window visors, chrome delete, plate re locator) things like that
Functioning DRL
Functioning Airbag
no CEL
The front side windows have a light tint to it. Nothing too extreme. (It came like that when I bought the car, 5 years ago)
I can't think of anything else that he saw or noticed that would've made him believe that this deserves a BOX 1

I have my full class 5 license, 10+ years driving experience. Last speeding ticket was 5-6 years ago.
My car has been the same for the past 2 years no changes even up until present. And I have driven to downtown Vancouver multiply times with no issues from cops.

Based on all this I don't think this (loud exhaust/tint windows) justifies receiving a BOX 1. I feel this is completely unreasonable and abuse of power.
I was left stranded with no car, had to pay $200-300 tow fee.
Cancel my insurance because he took my plates.

This is just a brief description of what happen and my experience, I will post pictures later.

("h.Do not seize the license plates unless there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the order will be disobeyed and the vehicle will be driven,")
https://vancouver.ca/police/policebo...t-2019-004.pdf
Did those two law firms tell you the reason why it wasn't allowed? I'm not a lawyer nor do I know much, but I'm assuming it was against your Charter Rights or your "right to privacy"
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #3557
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,431 Times in 5,107 Posts
I wonder in that situation, what can they even do if you just refuse to comply with the decibel test? Tow your car? He's already doing that so who the fuck cares. I don't think the legal system looks too kindly upon the police putting citizens in situations where they're incriminating themselves. Even drunks can refuse the breathalyzer. This whole thing is bordering on stupidity from the police side overtly punishing people as a hobby more than any interest in serving the public.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #3558
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Post pic of car.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Post pic of car.
post video
Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #3560
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays95 View Post
Was pulled over just recently for loud exhaust and got a BOX 1 (plates stripped & towed)
The vi paper says unnecessary noise from exhaust and window tint (front side windows have very light tint film)

ATM was approaching an intersection near Science world.
Pressed on the brakes to slow down (was not speeding). The car down shifts and revs up a bit and i guess that's what the cop heard.
He was hiding somewhere on a motorcycle.
Pulled me over... said that i was "racing" and "stunt driving" (while in traffic... yea ok)

Asked for license and reg papers. (Provided both)
Pulled out his Decibel meter, asked me to rev to 4-4500 rpm.
I was hesitant to go as high as he wanted. I don't rev my car like that. But revved to 2-3000 rpm.
He told me to get out and he'll do it himself.
He called for back up. Another cop showed up in a suv.
He showed the other cop where to hold the decibel meter.
I asked him if he is allow to enter the vehicle and operate it without my consent. (he said yes) (2 lawyer firms I spoke with said that's not true)
And while he was revving it I'm sure he went over 4-4500 rpm. Maybe even redlined.

The decibel meter read 113.
Handed me a vi for loud exhaust and front side window tint.
And a violation ticket for both those things.
- Unnecessary noise $109 + 3 points. (7A.01)
- Window tint (film) $109 (73.05(8))

He didn't look at the rest of the car, just underneath (exhaust area). There was nothing else to look at really. He was more concerned about the exhaust mostly.
The cop was nice up to the point where he was forcing me to rev the car higher. That changed his mood quickly. While idling the exhaust sounds like stock.
He didn't really know much about exhausts. All he knew was what a muffler looks like. What caught his attention was my exhaust tips (Akrapovic). So he wrote down on paper that i have Akrapovic exhaust system. But in fact it is not. The brand name was right in front of him and he didn't even notice it.

My car is stock height
Oem wheels are in spec
Just some minor cosmetic mods.. (window visors, chrome delete, plate re locator) things like that
Functioning DRL
Functioning Airbag
no CEL
The front side windows have a light tint to it. Nothing too extreme. (It came like that when I bought the car, 5 years ago)
I can't think of anything else that he saw or noticed that would've made him believe that this deserves a BOX 1

I have my full class 5 license, 10+ years driving experience. Last speeding ticket was 5-6 years ago.
My car has been the same for the past 2 years no changes even up until present. And I have driven to downtown Vancouver multiply times with no issues from cops.

Based on all this I don't think this (loud exhaust/tint windows) justifies receiving a BOX 1. I feel this is completely unreasonable and abuse of power.
I was left stranded with no car, had to pay $200-300 tow fee.
Cancel my insurance because he took my plates.

This is just a brief description of what happen and my experience, I will post pictures later.

("h.Do not seize the license plates unless there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the order will be disobeyed and the vehicle will be driven,")
https://vancouver.ca/police/policebo...t-2019-004.pdf
What type of car do you drive??
Jogadoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #3561
I don't get it

Anyone knows whats up with VI inspections? I have a mitsubishi and the ticket says I can take it to mitsu or nissan.... every place but surrey mitsu says they dont have the tech's that can do the inspection. I havn't havn't tried Nissan yet wtf would they know about mitsu?

Other mitsu dealers have pointed me to canadian tire but not sure thats allowed since they specified the dealer?
Any tips for Evo owners that have dealt with this?
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #3562

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Why don't just call Canadian tire or Nissan?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #3563
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Supposedly, any CVSE-licenced inspector should be able to perform the VI for you. The inspections are not looking for brand-specific items -- they are supposed to be looking at general safety and function items. This is why the police-designated inspection facility is so full of BS.

To comply with the order, I'd just book an inspection at a Nissan dealership and be done with it.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #3564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Anyone knows whats up with VI inspections? I have a mitsubishi and the ticket says I can take it to mitsu or nissan.... every place but surrey mitsu says they dont have the tech's that can do the inspection. I havn't havn't tried Nissan yet wtf would they know about mitsu?

Other mitsu dealers have pointed me to canadian tire but not sure thats allowed since they specified the dealer?
Any tips for Evo owners that have dealt with this?
didn't you get VI'd earlier this year? you got another one? all i know is that metrotown mitsubishi doesn't have a decibel meter.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #3565
I am Hook'd on RS

Check this out... Amended Sept 2019 - not sure "noise" with mufflers been changed.
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Exhaust muffler
A vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.
An exhaust system shall not have loose or leaking joints, seams or holes.
A muffler shall not have loose interior baffles or patches.
The exhaust system and its elements must be securely fastened.
The exhaust system shall not be located so that a person may be burned when entering or leaving the vehicle.
No part of an exhaust system may pass through a passenger compartment.
An exhaust system must not discharge excessive fumes or smoke.
Flexible hose used in an exhaust system shall be of a heavy duty type acceptable to the inspector.
[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]
Vehicle noise
A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.
The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.
When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.
[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]
Table 3
[am. B.C. Reg. 656/76, s. 2.]
Class of Vehicle
Maximum Allowable
Sound Pressure Level
DBA
Light duty
Gasoline-driven heavy duty
Motorcycles
Diesel-driven heavy duty
Carguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #3566

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
^ section 22 and 27 that you've pointed out don't seem to have changed since Oct 2018. Could have been in there longer, but I only looked as far back as Oct 2018. I think Sept 2019 made changes to some sections about commercial vehicles in regards to chains.
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #3567

Quote:
noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.
Alright. I get the spirit of what’s being written here. But they went into some prettybspecific detail. So I’m suppose to let a beat cops knowledge of cars be the decider.

So a normal officer will know the difference between a regular 2.0L focus at 12:1 vs the 2.0t ST at 9.3:1 vs the 2.3t RS at 9.37:1 ??? If they mean to tell me an officer can use all of that against me on a roadside test, then they should prove their knowledge
Old 10-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #3568
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So a normal officer will know the difference between a regular 2.0L focus at 12:1 vs the 2.0t ST at 9.3:1 vs the 2.3t RS at 9.37:1 ??? If they mean to tell me an officer can use all of that against me on a roadside test, then they should prove their knowledge
That's the thing, they don't have to according to how VI works. They'll just say "oh I'm not an inspector but I believe it doesn't comply so you have to go to an inspector"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #3569
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
That's the thing, they don't have to according to how VI works. They'll just say "oh I'm not an inspector but I believe it doesn't comply so you have to go to an inspector"
Bringing us all the way back to square one and the problem with the entire process. This is literally a guilty until proven innocent mindset which our entire judicial system is against.

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 10-18-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #3570
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Alright. I get the spirit of what’s being written here. But they went into some prettybspecific detail. So I’m suppose to let a beat cops knowledge of cars be the decider.

You're missing the first part of that sentence

Quote:
The opinion of an inspector
it's still a pretty weird statement since there are hard limits listed in the table. I think the use of "or" means it can't be louder than comparable vehicles from one of those categories, which again is odd because the inspector just picks one?

Using your RS as an example do you compare it to small hatchbacks (probably fail), vehicles with 350hp (that would include a big diesel pickup so probably pass), vehicles with 2.3L engines (probably fail) or vehicles with 9.37:1 compression ratios (no idea how you'd even look up a list of that)?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #3571
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I think what bugs me the most is the fact an officer can walk up to any car he wants, any at all and write an inspection notice for it, with no recourse.

I know this is beating a dead horse but how is ANYONE allowed to wield that much power never mind some bullshit beat cops. This can be LIFE ALTERING for those who can't afford a V.I., tow fees, storage fees, or time without a car if it's a box1 which is completely within the discretion of the cop. Giving a box1 for Exhaust or window tint is fucking Bullshit in it's purest form.

Berz out.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #3572

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You're missing the first part of that sentence

it's still a pretty weird statement since there are hard limits listed in the table. I think the use of "or" means it can't be louder than comparable vehicles from one of those categories, which again is odd because the inspector just picks one?

Using your RS as an example do you compare it to small hatchbacks (probably fail), vehicles with 350hp (that would include a big diesel pickup so probably pass), vehicles with 2.3L engines (probably fail) or vehicles with 9.37:1 compression ratios (no idea how you'd even look up a list of that)?
I disagree. An actual inspection centre will use a decibel meter and scientifically prove whether it passes or fails. The MVA is referring to a roadside inspection via an officer without the measurement devices
Old 10-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #3573
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
The way it's all mangled in the post made it hard to read, on the actual site that makes way more sense that it's for at the roadside. Calling the officer an inspector in that context is super confusing though. As is everything but comparable size of vehicle, I can't imagine anyone using any of those other things to compare a car at the roadside.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #3574

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
..... The MVA is referring to a roadside inspection via an officer without the measurement devices
Source?
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #3575

Basic logic?