REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Uber/Lyft in 2019 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715580-uber-lyft-2019-a.html)

Traum 01-27-2020 02:30 PM

I am more interested in how the Surrey Mayor is continuing to stand firm on issuing $500 fines to Uber drivers when he clearly lacks the legal authority to do so.

This has to be a new level of stupid... FailFish

stewie 01-27-2020 03:43 PM

I'm sorry but how many fucking pot shops in his city were being run without a license for years yet he draws the line at Uber???

Guy is an incompetent clown.

twitchyzero 01-27-2020 03:50 PM

am i the only one who's glee that the taxi industry is finally about to get a taste of competition/21st century?

Hondaracer 01-27-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8972545)
am i the only one who's glee that the taxi industry is finally about to get a taste of competition/21st century?

Definitely not lol

I’m actually getting mad at friends/family who are still using cabs

My wife didn’t like it too much when she messaged me good morning and that she took a cab to work because she had too much shit to carry on the bus

“We aren’t a cab family.”

TouringTeg 01-27-2020 08:11 PM

Taxi industry not going down without a fight:

Metro Vancouver taxi companies seek injunction to stop Uber, Lyft from operating

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lyft-1.5442614

Ch28 01-27-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8972581)

Metro Vancouver taxi companies seek injunction to stop Uber, Lyft from operating

They can fuck right off.

These motherfuckers have had YEARS to adapt and grow their business while the Liberals kept ride sharing out of the entire province. Instead of improving their services and having higher customer service standards, they've instead doubled down on their complete level of assholery to the point where it's just fucking pathetic.

ImportPsycho 01-27-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8972581)

as if taking it to the court worked in other cities...
which city taxi companies successfully stopped ride sharing?

IMAO, if they want to compete and survive, all GVR taxi companies need to push Gov to have just one provincial license so they can pick up passengers in different cities.
I was told, because taxi license is by the cities, they cannot pick up passengers in cities they don't have license in, meaning taxi from DT to Surrey, has to come back to Vancouver empty. Not only is that a waste of gas, they are more likely to turn down rides to far out and fare is higher to make up for two way trips. Notice Uber price is almost half of taxi fare since uber only charges for one way.

JSALES 01-27-2020 10:53 PM

I saw a petition on facebook to save taxi drivers jobs, like you guys brought this on yourselves with your shitty service lol

teggy604 01-28-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 8972604)
I saw a petition on facebook to save taxi drivers jobs, like you guys brought this on yourselves with your shitty service lol

shitty service, and outrageous pricing. Now they are scared because of a little competition? Although I still think taxi companies have their place. Picking up late drunk ppl from clubs and bars. I doubt any Uber or Lyft driver would risk those type of ppl destroying or vomiting in their nice cars.

Manic! 01-28-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teggy604 (Post 8972609)
shitty service, and outrageous pricing. Now they are scared because of a little competition? Although I still think taxi companies have their place. Picking up late drunk ppl from clubs and bars. I doubt any Uber or Lyft driver would risk those type of ppl destroying or vomiting in their nice cars.

That's there bread and butter. Best part about Uber is being drunk 3 in the morning in a foreign country not knowing the launguage or where you are and hitting a button and getting a ride back to your hotel.

Mr.Money 01-28-2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 8972604)

whoever enjoys getting fucked in the ass by taxi companies :fulloffuck:

GC8 01-28-2020 07:21 AM

I used Uber for the first time in Vancouver. My ride arrived in 2mins... but I swear the driver was an ex taxi driver lol he drove abit aggressively but not in a terrifying way.

Mr.HappySilp 01-28-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8972537)
I am more interested in how the Surrey Mayor is continuing to stand firm on issuing $500 fines to Uber drivers when he clearly lacks the legal authority to do so.

https://twitter.com/martinmacmahon/s...32835776258048

This has to be a new level of stupid... FailFish

Love to see all the Uber drivers files a class action lawsuit again Surrey and force Surrey to pay millions in compensation.

stewie 01-28-2020 09:30 AM

Resignation

I know it means squat all but I'm curious to see how many votes they'll get on this :lol Hopefully it keeps counting after 500.

sonick 01-28-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teggy604 (Post 8972609)

The passenger rating aspect of it would dissuade users from destroying the cars. Enough low ratings you won't get picked up or you'd get outright banned from using the service.

underscore 01-28-2020 11:05 AM

Do the drivers actually get paid decently now? Last I checked you were losing money by doing it once you factored in vehicle maintenance.

AstulzerRZD 01-28-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8972647)
Do the drivers actually get paid decently now? Last I checked you were losing money by doing it once you factored in vehicle maintenance.

Driver pay is pretty good for the first year or so when they enter a new market.

I suspect they'll continue to be good for a little longer in that in BC given the Class 4 requirement restricting supply of drivers.

Euro7r 01-28-2020 12:03 PM

Ever since I started working in downtown again, reminds me how irritating when I see taxi drivers, driving like a complete asshole. Red stop light apparently means green to them and they just flash hazards and pull over blocking traffic whenever they want.

If the service was great, people will tend to stay with you no matter what circumstance, if your service is shit, quit whining like bitches. Everyday read stuff like Taxi association threaten this and that, why don't you actually just shut down and don't work then, no one gives a damn. Everything in life there is competitors, companies that want to win will work "extra" harder to become better, not sit there and whine about this and that not being fair. Nothing is fair in life.

68style 01-28-2020 01:05 PM

I'm not pro-taxi by ANY stretch of the imagination... but I think there's no question the pricing is lowball out of the gate, with all the impediments (costs) the NDP has put in to prevent Uber and Lyft from succeeding completely there's no way they can provide their service at the rates they're showing without subsidizing things heavily in the beginning.

I think prices will go up substantially once they are established... or they'll decide it's not worth it and just pull out and we're back to square one again.

6793026 01-28-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8972647)

this has not changed.

phase 1, no drivers = incentive bonus if you do more than 2 trips etc.
phase 2, when there are tons of drivers, the bonus gets phased out.

It's NOT a thriving business as you are a contractor and you have to deal with taxes and your own benefits.

68style 01-28-2020 03:34 PM

Well... nevermind the fact Uber has proven to be a total asshole of a company (not sure about Lyft).......... but I still want some sort of solution here that isn't a taxi cab!

teggy604 01-29-2020 09:48 AM

I see Uber and Lyft as more of a car pooling service than it is a taxi service. IE if you are going say Metrotown for shopping, and you see on the app users close by also going there, you can make a few bucks since you are going there anyways with a empty car.

Bouncing Bettys 01-29-2020 12:12 PM

One caller into CBC on the subject of the cab companies threatening to end services for disabled customers: they have been handed opportunity for a monopoly with those customers if they adapt their business model wisely.

AstulzerRZD 01-29-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teggy604 (Post 8972766)
I see Uber and Lyft as more of a car pooling service than it is a taxi service. IE if you are going say Metrotown for shopping, and you see on the app users close by also going there, you can make a few bucks since you are going there anyways with a empty car.

I wonder when they will introduce Lyft Line and Uber Pool - it's usually half the cost at UberX and kinda works like a true ride sharing

Hondaracer 01-29-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8972774)
One caller into CBC on the subject of the cab companies threatening to end services for disabled customers: they have been handed opportunity for a monopoly with those customers if they adapt their business model wisely.

lol yea nice tactic, cut off the one market you still have cornered with vehicles already equipped with the proper equipment lol

Just goes to show the peice of shit mentality these operators work on