REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Uber/Lyft in 2019 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715580-uber-lyft-2019-a.html)

stewie 02-07-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teggy604 (Post 8973708)
So the taxi association lost in court. Should be a clear sign to Surrey mayor to stop ticketing Uber/Lyft drivers. Its a waste of Surrey resources and a waste of tax payers money when the drivers fight the ticket in court.

Aaaaand Surrey lost today, as expected. Rip those fines up and chuck them in the garbage.
That mayor needs to resign and check himself in to an old folks home.

Mr.HappySilp 02-07-2020 11:37 AM

Took uber yesterday. Good experience waited for 5mins ride cost $20 almost the same a taxi but the car is a lot cleaner, driver sis more talkative and friendier. Overall good experience.

donk. 02-10-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8972936)
so the UBER back from YVR to surrey..... went a bit...odd.

waiting at YVR uber zone for 10mins

from YVR, the app directed driver into vancouver along marine towards knight instead of hwy 99.

dude didn't load my luggage lol...

i guess the rain hampered his vision but he ran a 4 way stop and almost collided with a pickup truck. I saw it all happening and told him 'whoa whoa..slooow sloww....wait...' and he caught it a second before impact.

You must be an overentitled woman

CivicBlues 02-10-2020 08:04 AM

Tried Uber for the first time in Vancouver on Saturday just before my $5 discount expires. Downtown --> Downtown. Guy who picked us up was from Surrey but I had to give him directions because the app was giving him some wonky route (due to construction). Other than that it was fine I guess. Pretty expensive for short hops around town but I'd consider it for Airport runs.

twitchyzero 02-10-2020 08:08 AM

not loading luggage is just poor service

winson604 02-10-2020 12:10 PM

Tried on Saturday at 10pm, I was downtown at Bayshore trying to get back to Shaughnessy. Tried simultaneously using Uber and Lyft, after 10 mins finally connected to someone on Lyft who was in East Van by PNE with a 25min arrival. 5 mins in the app automatically found me a driver who was downtown.

$15 a little cheaper than taxi but that isn't the point for me. Aside from taking a while to find a driver which is to be expected right now it was smooth.

Expresso 02-10-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8974013)
not loading luggage is just poor service

I don't have an expectation for an uber/lyft driver to load my luggage anymore. I would say 70% of the time they don't. If you want someone to load your luggage taxi drivers do about 95% of the time for me.

JDął 02-11-2020 10:51 PM

If you can carry your bags to the point of being picked up you can lift them in to the car. It's not like they're helping you move a couch. The lazy entitled garbage people complain about these days FailFish Harden the fuck up.

mikemhg 02-12-2020 10:31 AM

^I agree.

I don't even let the taxi driver take out my luggage.

I'm a strong guy. How can I let Sukdeep, all of 60-something years old, get out of the car to pull out my damn suitcase?

Your job is to drive me to a location, not carry my shit.

People are weak.

winson604 02-12-2020 12:54 PM

I just came back last month from Japan for the first time and one thing I found interesting was quite a few times when we were hailing a cab they would not get out to help with my luggage. Would unlock the trunk and let me figure it out and even had a cold attitude towards us but when we would arrive at our destination its like a switch flipped and suddenly their demeanor changed and they also would get out almost instantly to help unload after we paid.

I don't really care if you help or not but I did find it interesting that it was a fairly consistent experience in that regard.

twitchyzero 02-12-2020 09:11 PM

i'm sorry North American service standards are low; do the bare minimum and still expect tips

what does having an able body have anything to do with service? do you run to the kitchen at the restaurant and serve yourself just because your hands and legs are functional?

in Japan the taxi door pops open inviting you in

in Taiwan minimum wagers greet you both in and out of a 7/11, the guides comes RUSHING to take your luggage...most dont expect tips and some even refuse tips

you dont have to go out of your way to suck my dick but holy shit if you're in the service industry at least make SOME effort...come out to greet and at least OFFER to help

winson604 02-13-2020 06:49 AM

One thing I already miss from my recent trip is no tipping. I'm not a cheap guy, I'll tip but the NA mentality of tipping is crazy. Slowly over the years it seems almost everyone in the service industry expects tips. Food, massage therapists, taxi's, haircuts, even the dog groomers do now. What next am I going to see the tip option come up on the machine when getting an oil change like holy fuck.

As twitchzero pointed out ok whatever that aside, I'm not expecting you to worship me like a god but make some fucking effort and don't be fucking entitled and pissy if you get no or shitty tip.

Peturbo 02-13-2020 09:35 AM

Good service habit or not, I find it weird having someone else load my luggage for me while I am able-bodied .
I always tell them its okay and load it myself.

Hondaracer 02-16-2020 10:10 AM

Well, unfortunately nothing but bad experiences for me so far lol. Tried to take an Uber/Lyft on Friday night around 6pm just wanted to get across downtown

First Uber was 18 minutes away and then cancelled about 7 minutes in. Second one it connected me to was 25 minutes away so said fuck it, waived down a cab in a few minutes

We went and ate at campagnola on main then tried to get a Lyft, booked it right at the restaurants address and then within about 10 minutes it says the driver is here

I walk outside don’t see the vehicle, buddy phoned me and is like “Do you see my blinking lights?!?!” I’m like uhhh...? I said we’re at the address I put in..we’re also heading north on main so we are on the correct side for our destination.. I hang up

Wait another like 5 thinking wtf... he phones me back again, “hey man do you see me?!!!” I look and there is the van parked like 3 blocks away at Main and Terminal with its hazards on on the curb lane..

I just told him fuck it, forget about it..

Manic! 02-16-2020 10:51 AM

Anyone know if Uber or Lyft are fully working in Surrey now?

6793026 02-16-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDął (Post 8974223)
If you can carry your bags to the point of being picked up you can lift them in to the car.

I have beef with my X on this. You can pack qty 2 of your 50lbs luggages and haul it downstairs to the door for a vacation, but the MOMENT you see me picking you up in a car, all of a sudden you become handicap and complain to me its too heavy and expect me to take care of you to lift your shit.

Am I kryptonite to you where you just loose the ability to do your own shit once I appear? /endrant

twitchyzero 02-16-2020 11:22 AM

lolol didn’t know this luggage debate was a thing

keifun 02-16-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8974616)
lolol didn’t know this luggage debate was a thing

Exactly! Seems like it's a hot topic.

The whole taxi/Uber/Lyft driver loading and unloading your luggage is really up to them. It's a service courtesy. Similar to a bellman doing the same when you arrive at a hotel and takes it up to your room.

Blah_Teggie 02-16-2020 05:47 PM

Anyone on RS a Uber or Lyft driver? I’m considering doing it on a PT basis. How’s the pay? The customers?

TypeRNammer 02-16-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie (Post 8974643)
Anyone on RS a Uber or Lyft driver? I’m considering doing it on a PT basis. How’s the pay? The customers?

Better jump on the bandwagon before the market becomes too saturated. I believe there's a back log of getting your class 4 license.

Some of my colleagues are doing it, works out to be $25 to $40 ish dollars an hour. Lots of variables to go with it.

6793026 02-17-2020 11:35 AM

^ I want to know the delta & insurance coverage you have to pay extra.

Vansterdam 02-17-2020 02:34 PM

choked about these late fees lol

I stood outside for 5 mins waiting for this dude until I realized he was parked way up the street from me .

another time I was standing outside and waiting before the guy even came and it still counted as a late fee like wtf

Ch28 02-17-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 8974654)
Better jump on the bandwagon before the market becomes too saturated. I believe there's a back log of getting your class 4 license.

Some of my colleagues are doing it, works out to be $25 to $40 ish dollars an hour. Lots of variables to go with it.

Is that after they factor in the cost of gas?

underscore 02-17-2020 07:04 PM

^ and maintenance

lilaznviper 02-17-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8974707)
choked about these late fees lol

I stood outside for 5 mins waiting for this dude until I realized he was parked way up the street from me .

another time I was standing outside and waiting before the guy even came and it still counted as a late fee like wtf

send them an email. they will give you back the money. happened to me several times in LA and they just refunded me the late fee