REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #6126
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,612 Times in 5,175 Posts
Sgt salary in the military is $65-71k... that's weird, because that's the same as my salary... and I'm not forging receipts to avoid eviction and homelessness for my family. And I live in Richmond, where houses average $2M a home... not Trenton frickin ON where houses are $400,000 lol

Must be just lucky... or it will be the Libs fault for sure if I do end up like that. Or maybe your story lacks a LOT of pertinent details about a certain Sgt's latent issues and/or lack of anything resembling financial planning. I'm guessing the latter.
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:42 PM   #6127
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Sgt salary in the military is $65-71k... that's weird, because that's the same as my salary... and I'm not forging receipts to avoid eviction and homelessness or my family. And I live in Richmond, where houses average $2M a home... not Trenton frickin ON where houses are $400,000 lol

Must be just lucky... or it will be the Libs fault for sure if I am. Or maybe your story lacks a LOT of pertinent details. I'm guessing the latter.
Yeah? And how many times have you been forced to displace and move yourself and your family across the country? How long have you been in the same home you probably bought years ago and probably at a much lower interest rate? How many times have you actually had your pay cut, and then had any work related expenses over $10,000 not paid back to you for months? You're also off by almost 200k for the Trenton, Quinte West, Belleville avg housing costs.

Your ignorance and arrogance is insufferable. "Just throwing out wild accusations with no basis or backstory to make simpletons with no critical thinking skills angry" - then I provide sources proving you wrong and you do the exact same thing. Classic
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:04 PM   #6128
Performance Moderator

Your backstory isn't accurate though, so it is just a wild accusation.

Also the general public doesn't get their moving expenses paid for. Or their realtor fees. Including free transpo of any vehicles they may or may not own. Only RCMP and Army get all that shit covered for them and that's a huge expense. I'm not $200k off, I went on realtor.ca and there are plenty of detached houses in the $400k range.. but sure make it $600k! Still less than the price of a CONDO in a major Canadian city bud.

I spend a lot of time around military guys, work with active ones and work with ones who left to civy jobs, the ones who can't hack it or are doing shitty are the ones who fuck around drinking their faces off and partying... the ones who aren't idiots are doing just great. Don't make excuses for stupid people.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2024, 05:38 PM   #6129
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,406 Times in 3,476 Posts
This whole age verification thing for adult sites is so stupid. Are we going to have to show ID to log on the RS because it has a NSFW section? How are they going to get the pirate bay and other pirate sites to enforce it? What about AI. You can run AI image generators on your PC that can produce adult images. Are they going to ban those. This is going to cause an inconvenience for a short time before people find away around it. VPN companies are probably really happy about this.

The arrivecan scandal is going to look like peanuts compared to how bad this is going to be.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:09 PM   #6130
Performance Moderator

I'm super for it, if the Cons contract this out it's going to get hacked for sure and I for one can't wait to see the list of all the gag ball tied up tighty whitey pegging videos PP watches
Old 02-27-2024, 07:51 AM   #6131

Thanked 8,950 Times in 3,888 Posts
I'm sure a bunch of people will get hit by the people who do those sextortion scams every time one of those sites gets hacked. Then you'll have the people who don't really know what they're doing trying to use a sketchy free VPN having all the problems those can give you.

And then anyone vaguely smart will learn to use a proper VPN service.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 08:32 AM   #6132
in the butt

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,189 Posts
"we have your ID, we have located all your family members through your social media account. We have the full video of you beating your meat through your monitor / phone front camera, pay us 80,000 dogicoins to wallet X74Aa443So7903 within 24hrs or we release the video"

For extra flavor, their include your bug eyed driver's license as an attachment in the email

Then once you have paid, they use AI to slap your face onto cape horn, and proceed to send you the video, and ask for another 80,000dogicoins or they will share it, knowing they have you by the balls

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2024, 10:26 AM   #6133

I know someone who fell for one of those through a dating site, this way it'd be even easier since they don't need to take the time to trick someone into it or have a girl video call them. Just say to pay up or their license and the list of what they watched will be sent to everyone they know on social media.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 02-27-2024, 04:46 PM   #6134
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
If you want to get off on a crime, hope you’re in an RCMP jurisdiction

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/road-rage-murd...-1.6784878?cid
Old 02-27-2024, 05:33 PM   #6135
in the butt

Thanked 3,244 Times in 1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you want to get off on a crime, hope you’re in an RCMP jurisdiction

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/road-rage-murd...-1.6784878?cid
Wow its turning into USA here

Continue the handouts!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:24 PM   #6136

Sounds about right for the RCMP these days. A while back my neighbours place got broken into, the next day a cop comes around asking for security camera footage so I go and pull everything from that time frame and email him the clips of a guy walking down the street along with my address. A month goes by and another cop comes and asks the same thing and has no idea I already sent it in. Excellent coordination.

Someone else I know got a notification from their camera system in the middle of the night, checked and found their whole gun safe missing from the garage, then called the cops all within a couple minutes of it happening. It still took them over an hour and a half to show up. To a report of guns stolen in the last 5 minutes.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2024, 09:04 PM   #6137
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,213 Times in 2,421 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...20universities

CBC investigation finds that it was mostly public universities that have been driving the increase of international students to Canada, not the random fake diploma "private* universities as most assume.

The only private University in the top 10 international permit students was University Canada West in BC
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:09 AM   #6138
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
Of course larger institutions will have larger numbers of foreign students, but when you see all these schools on Granville st, 20 of those with 500 students still has a bigger impact than UBC having 5000 foreign students.
I think the main issue is though, is that if people are coming here for education, there is no problem with that, but we don't want these private entities basically churning out useless diplomas just to take advantage of foreign students either. That's affecting everyone negatively except the business.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 02-29-2024 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Missed some of the graphs at the bottom
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2024, 05:47 AM   #6139
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Also the person who is going to UBC from India isn’t the same as the person going to Alexander college in a parking garage
Old 02-29-2024, 06:16 AM   #6140
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,815 Times in 3,176 Posts
COMING SOON!!!! to steal your money and give out fake degrees

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:14 AM   #6141
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
The fact that no one has defaced that monstrosity with all the shitty publicity recently boggles the mind. And on that corner too.

You ok Vancouver?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:09 AM   #6142
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
I am honestly surprised that Conestoga College is at the top of the international student college mill list. Some 20 years ago when I was studying in Onterrible, I knew someone that went to Conestoga. He seemed like a perfectly normal person, and my impression from him about Conestoga was that it wasn't too difficult from any other smaller public community college you'd find here in Vancouver.

Of course, that was some 20 years ago, and based on what I've read in the news, the current Conestoga president totally seems like a conceited douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...20universities

CBC investigation finds that it was mostly public universities that have been driving the increase of international students to Canada, not the random fake diploma "private* universities as most assume.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:25 AM   #6143
linguistic ninja

Yup my aunt went to one of the Ontario colleges on that list, probably 30+ years ago now. Has a perfectly serviceable career in Finance now. Enshittification for everyone else.

Imagine if UBC and SFU went that route, how many pissed-off people would there be now. Maybe all us Alumni can start another class action?

Old 02-29-2024, 09:33 AM   #6144
Performance Moderator

It also helps there's a fair number of careers out there that anyone with a bit of intelligence could do regardless of whether they went to school for it or not and just learn on the job or understudy someone else, but every employer wants to see that piece of paper.

Finance would be one of those jobs I would say falls into that category.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:43 AM   #6145
linguistic ninja

yah plus boomers back in the day could literally fall into almost any non-professional career with just a HS diploma if they were persistent enough. These days, not so much. I feel sorry for all the people who graduated <10 or so years ago with degrees from those colleges.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:50 AM   #6146

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It also helps there's a fair number of careers out there that anyone with a bit of intelligence could do regardless of whether they went to school for it or not and just learn on the job or understudy someone else, but every employer wants to see that piece of paper.

Finance would be one of those jobs I would say falls into that category.
There's also a fair number of careers where having the piece of paper doesn't actually mean you know how to do the job.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:52 AM   #6147
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
yah plus boomers back in the day could literally fall into almost any non-professional career with just a HS diploma if they were persistent enough. These days, not so much. I feel sorry for all the people who graduated <10 or so years ago with degrees from those colleges.
While true ... I find those, especially boomers, flatline in terms of skill. I mean imagine teaching a boomer recent tech, software, or systems ..
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:13 AM   #6148
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
I dunno, I feel like my 70 year old dad has a lot more tech skill with using computers and devices than most of the millenial and Gen X clods that I see around in the construction industry.

Like one of the larger victoria region mech contractors in town, started up around for 16 years ago, still doesn't even run their own DNS alias for emails. Everyone in their company still is just @shaw.ca.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2024, 12:06 PM   #6149
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
COMING SOON!!!! to steal your money and give out fake degrees

not credible? so can i get a degree in "keepin it real" or a masters in "thug-enomics"?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:17 PM   #6150
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
??!! Why? Do we really want to soften the millenials in Surrey?

Surrey schools pull To Kill a Mockingbird and other books from recommended reading curriculum
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ing-curriculum

“We did a comprehensive review of these resources that determined that the merits of these novels do not outweigh the potential trauma and harm they may cause to some students,” she said.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: