REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:07 PM   #6276
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,926 Posts
All along, I thought that the carbon tax, $$ collected by the government was used to reduce emissions or to clean up environment. So essentially, it is just a 'deterrent', gov't collects the tax and gives it back to the people with lower income. The thinking is that the tax will be a deterrent to use fossil fuels.

Really ??!! What a stupid idea ...
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:01 PM   #6277
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
the carbon tax can't win.. the conservatives have already succeeded in making it the biggest election issue and there's nothing the liberals can do but to watch it all get undone once they lose the election. the rebates only apply to those who make a hair over minimum wage, and the revenue collected doesn't even go into carbon initiatives, it just goes into general revenue. they can't even spin it in any way to make it popular, it's done unless the liberals pull off a miracle election win.
Turd has nobody but himself to blame for the downfall of the carbon tax. It was an unpopular tax to begin with, but at least it was something the greener people could get behind / bear for the sake of doing something, since the Cons were drawing a complete blank on the environment / carbon footprint reduction front. But then Turd has somehow thought it was a good idea to give the Atlantic provinces a 3 year break on carbon tax for heating oil. That started the precedence of making an exemption out of their own signature climate policy, and *everyone* started crying foul because Turd was playing favourites (where mostly only the Atlantic provinces use heating oil, and Atlantic Canada just happens to have strong Liberals support).

Alberta started crying even louder against the carbon tax, and Saskatchewan openly announced that they will violate federal law and not collect (and not remit) carbon tax, and all hell broke loose.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2024, 09:06 PM   #6278
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,401 Times in 3,474 Posts
What Danielle Smith use to think about the carbon tax.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:59 AM   #6279

The platform for BC Cons seems like a joke.

https://www.conservativebc.ca/ideas

On of the people trying to get nominated in Nanaimo.

https://www.conservativebc.ca/gwen_o...imo_lantzville

Quote:
In the summer of 2023, she met with members of CAWsBar in Toronto at the “Keep Prisons Single Sex” protest. She was shocked to learn that biological males could be transferred to women’s prisons by simply self IDing as women. In the fall of 2023, Gwen agreed to moderate a panel discussion on Women’s Spaces, SOGI, Women’ Sports and Gender Ideology. The panelists’ testimonies pertaining to their experience with “cancel culture” were extremely concerning to Gwen and she lobbied her party to look into these issues.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:16 AM   #6280
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
Ahhhh thank god people are putting forward the ideas we really need here!
Let's put time and resources into this idea that doesn't even really exist in the real world, and if it did would make absolutely no difference to anyone whatsoever when it may or may not happen once in a 20 year span.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:31 AM   #6281
RS controls my life!

Why are you so triggered lol? There's nothing even remotely related to trans listed on the cons platform that manic posted. Also, who are we to judge what issues are "real" vs not for people? Politicians are mentioning these issues because there is a large enough vocal constituents that wants this addressed. I couldn't give a fuck about anything transgender related but I'm also not going to gatekeep what issues people should care about.

"Let's put time and resources into this idea that doesn't even really exist in the real world, and if it did would make absolutely no difference to anyone whatsoever when it may or may not happen once in a 20 year span." <- Would you really say this to someone's face who could be seriously impacted by whatever current policy is in place? Again, I'm not an expert on this issue and its not my topic of interest but we should be careful not to dismiss wholesale what could be legitimate issues for people.

Quote:
https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/rights-a...isk-in-prison/

Evidence is emerging that in Canada, the CD100 policy change actively places women at risk, actively undermines their rights, and actively disadvantages minority women disproportionately. Sex segregation may be an historical legacy, but its continued practice is grounded in evidence about the differences between male and female offending, and in recognition that women prisoners have different needs and vulnerabilities to men and that the security risks they pose are different to those of men.

Poverty, ethnicity, and victimization are the main drivers of womenÂ’s criminality. For many women who end up in the criminal justice system, their offending takes place against a backdrop of poor pay and higher poverty (relative to men), disproportionately high rates of violent victimization, and hugely disproportionately higher rates of sexual assault. The decision to include anatomical males who identify as women in a population of female prisoners creates a new layer of vulnerability for an already vulnerable group.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #6282
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,608 Times in 5,172 Posts
I don't think westopher's post sounded triggered at ALL... lol... just pointing out a focus on stupid things that affect .01% of the population instead of actual issues. I don't know about you, but I'm not particularly worked up about what might possibly maybe one day happen to someone in a prison.

It's painfully obvious their real goal is some right wing agenda to try and get rid of trans rights by relating people to a story of how it can go wrong and be hurtful or negatively impact someone else. Funny how they don't do that with things like, say, guns for example though... it's always the bad users for those incidents, not guns as a whole... suddenly clarity on an issue becomes so easy when it suits them.

That's what the extremists on both right and left do, they focus on stupid issues that make for incredulous headlines and get people all worked up focusing on these non-issues while they bend everyone over on stuff that actually matters for their own profit/power grabs.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:02 AM   #6283
RS controls my life!

The argument that because this only affects (insert arbitrary small number)% of population therefore its a "stupid " issue that isn't real is a bad take. There are a ton of important issues that only affect a small minority and its important that are folks who want to be champions for those issues. Also disagree that I've bought heavily into this; I really couldn't care less what the country decides to do with trans in prisons.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:05 AM   #6284
Performance Moderator

Well, you can't service everyone. Hundreds of thousands of people are affected daily by a lack of trans rights.

A couple people might be affected one day in a prison by a trans person gone rogue.

Which side are you picking here? You cared enough to respond and look up an article?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:12 AM   #6285
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
this is a typical political tactic. they take the social issues that are divisive and galvanize their base with hypotheticals.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:12 AM   #6286
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
Can we just focus on keeping the tampons in the men's room freshly stocked first before worrying about shit like this
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:14 AM   #6287
RS controls my life!

Nice attempt at shoehorning a hypothetical scenario that you've completely made up? Why does it have to be one side vs the other? Is it not worth a dialogue to try to meet the needs of both groups? That's my whole point
Old 04-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #6288
Performance Moderator

You're bringing up a hypothetical situation are you not?

Where has there been a documented case of a trans person assaulting someone in prison? And, if in fact there is one, what policy would change that? On the surface it would appear to be a situation where you deal with the individual in question, not the group as a whole.

The MLA listed above is focusing on removing the rights of a group based on a hypothetical possibility. Your article also talks in a hypothetical manner.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:12 AM   #6289

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
Westopher is right.

This whole trans garbage is astroturfing. Plain and simple.

I bloody worked in the correctional system at NFPC, let me tell you, there aren't a litany of male inmates trying to tuck their peepee between their legs and get into a female jail.

That is utter nonsense, but like child trafficking, or men participating in women's sports, these are issues we all agree on for the most part, whether left or right, we're all on the same page.

The right has weaponized this topic to create this fake polarizing framework, where if you don't vote Conservative, then you agree children should be sold into destitute, and that Billy Bob should be punting vollyballs in little girl's faces.

It's all bullshit and distracting people from the real issues.

I'm tired of it.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 10:25 AM   #6290

Gwen O’Mahony was the NDP MLA for Chilliwack-Hope for 2012 to 2013

O’Mahony who resigned her NDP membership yesterday, cited her former party’s position on decriminalization as one of her motivating factors. O’Mahony, who moderated a meeting of trans-exclusionary radical feminism activists in Nanaimo in the fall of 2023, also cited B.C.’s SOGI-123 policy.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:37 AM   #6291

You want to know how that whole story is bullshit? Read the facts:

https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/politiques...-cd-en.shtml#6

Prison officials are given the explicit ability to reject the transfer of "male" inmates into female prisons. Full stop.

So if you're a 6'6 rapist that suddenly in prison had an epiphany that you're now a lady, you can have you request easily rejected.

No case is ever black and white.

This is more distraction based culture war crap predicated by the right. At the same time, if you're some post-op little Asian twink, you probably shouldn't be in a male prison with the general pop.

These Cons need to use their bloody minds.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 10:55 AM   #6292
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Gwen O’Mahony was the NDP MLA for Chilliwack-Hope for 2012 to 2013

O’Mahony who resigned her NDP membership yesterday, cited her former party’s position on decriminalization as one of her motivating factors. O’Mahony, who moderated a meeting of trans-exclusionary radical feminism activists in Nanaimo in the fall of 2023, also cited B.C.’s SOGI-123 policy.
lol... Karens Anonymous
Old 04-05-2024, 11:12 AM   #6293

Not even summer and Alberta is already doing rolling blackouts. Good job UPC.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #6294
Performance Moderator

Guess I better buy a Honda generator when I get to Calgary lol
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #6295
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Really wish I had been born a trans-refugee, would have been in line to take over for Crystia Freeland by now
Old 04-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #6296
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
Quote:
Danielle Smith is just gonna blaming Turd even harder, and use the rolling blackouts as justification for expanding natural gas powered electricity generation plans.

Meanwhile, she won't say a word about how their most recent restrictions on solar power generation could have helped with relieving the power shortage...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:27 PM   #6297

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Why are you so triggered lol? There's nothing even remotely related to trans listed on the cons platform that manic posted. Also, who are we to judge what issues are "real" vs not for people? Politicians are mentioning these issues because there is a large enough vocal constituents that wants this addressed. I couldn't give a fuck about anything transgender related but I'm also not going to gatekeep what issues people should care about.

"Let's put time and resources into this idea that doesn't even really exist in the real world, and if it did would make absolutely no difference to anyone whatsoever when it may or may not happen once in a 20 year span." <- Would you really say this to someone's face who could be seriously impacted by whatever current policy is in place? Again, I'm not an expert on this issue and its not my topic of interest but we should be careful not to dismiss wholesale what could be legitimate issues for people.
I don't even know how to respond to such a stupid rationalization of something like this being stated in a fucking political platform. Cons have absolutely openly campaigned and attended rallies, pushed these ideas in public forums.
Do you know how government works? Did you know they do things on a regular basis that don't need to be advertised as a key point?
Just because I think this is beyond retarded to be something that someone would actively campaign upon, doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed to take a stance on it.
What's fucking ridiculous is that politicians use these tactics to get the absolute dumbest fucks to hang on their platforms because it's the flavour of the day issue.
I had a random dude literally come up and start complaining to me about kids being too young to choose their gender and how everyone is cutting their dicks off and regretting it. Like, that isn't even real? Is that what your hot button issue is? Worry about poverty and inequality and food security and racism and housing and things that actually exist. The government has shown they don't have nearly enough resources to worry about what matters so don't waste fucking time on this please.
Morons like that are who this is aimed at. There's a difference between being triggered and calling out stupidity.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 04-05-2024 at 12:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 01:18 PM   #6298
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Really wish I had been born a trans-refugee, would have been in line to take over for Crystia Freeland by now
Actually you'd be super far behind thanks to all the discrimination you'd have faced, be underemployed, probably working in the service industry IF anyone would have you due to your appearance and you definitely wouldn't own a house with a basement to rent out, you'd be the one trying to make rent on the basement every month... definitely wouldn't be on a trip to Vegas right now.

Not sure where you think either of those 2 categories of people are benefiting in this world more than you or I have.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 01:39 PM   #6299

Quote:

https://twitter.com/NagwanYYC/status...73812188778826
Guess another energy producing state known for its rolling blackouts? Texas.

I've been harping about this incessantly. This is what rightwing libertarian style politics brings you. Shitty infrastructure, corporate hands outs, tax cuts for the wealthy, and overall enshitification for the mass majority.

These people do not know how to govern.

For an energy producing province like Alberta to have rolling blackouts, the same as Texas is ludicrous, and is an indictment of what happens when a government only focuses on cutting taxes, whittling down services and governance, and abdicating their actual jobs in office.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2024, 01:48 PM   #6300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Actually you'd be super far behind thanks to all the discrimination you'd have faced, be underemployed, probably working in the service industry IF anyone would have you due to your appearance and you definitely wouldn't own a house with a basement to rent out, you'd be the one trying to make rent on the basement every month... definitely wouldn't be on a trip to Vegas right now.

Not sure where you think either of those 2 categories of people are benefiting in this world more than you or I have.
He's just thinking of all those trans immigrant CEOs of Fortune 500 companies I think.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: