REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #76
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Just heard a little intel this could be a loooong process. I take back my guess of Boeing going up in a few days. Crazy
The Max was supposed to save an already troubled Boeing. This could finish them off completely
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #77
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
It’s also not just the 737 max, this has delayed the debut of the brand new 777 which was suppose to he yesterday I believe
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It’s also not just the 737 max, this has delayed the debut of the brand new 777 which was suppose to he yesterday I believe
And they're still $23 billion in the hole on the 787
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Just saw my dads friend today who is an ex Air Canada pilot and I asked him about all of this.

He said that the 1st officer was a noob who only had like 200 hours of flying time. He said the 1st officer was pretty much the same as a kid with his learners license. If there was a problem with the aircraft, that first officer was pretty much useless.

He said that before AC would even entertain his application (30 years ago) he would need 5,000 hours of flying before. He also mentioned that pilots in the last 10 years are HIGHLY needed and that it isn't uncommon for developing countries and China to take pilots that aren't as experienced as they should because they need flight crew. Case in point, having a first officer that only has 200 ish hours of flying, he was utterly surprised by that.

He also said that there were many times when he was flying that the first officer was so useless he felt like he was flying the entire trip himself.

He pointed out that after the Lion air crash that every pilot in the WORLD should have gotten that air directive and should have brushed up on how to turn off that MCAS, he also said that MCAS isn't a new type of system, the captain should have known to shut it off right away. He's thinking that the manual switch didn't work to shut it off, or the pilot and first officer was too scared or in too much shock to even shut it off. He said it can get scary up there and if you don't keep a level head, you can get into a lot of trouble.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 03-13-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #80
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Regarding MCAS...

Quote:
"The CFM International LEAP engines of the 737 MAX have a higher bypass ratio and have a larger nacelle than the engines of previous Boeing 737 models, so the engines are placed higher and further forward in relation to the wing than on previous models.

This destabilizes the aircraft in pitch at higher angles of attack; to deal with this the MCAS flight control augmentation system is fitted to the 737 MAX.

Former Boeing engineers expressed the opinion that a nose down command triggered by a sensor single point of failure is a design flaw if the crew is not prepared, and the FAA was evaluating a fix of the possible flaw and investigating whether the pilots' transition training is adequate."
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #81
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Your dads friend is correct. It is a super simple drill. But you can’t really judge don’t know unless you are there.

If the plane is out of trim it is physically difficult to pull the nose back up. Perhaps the 200 hour wonder (or captain) wasn’t able to physically (together) pull the plane out of this dive. Perhaps the two of them took priority in trying to yank it out of a dive prior to doing the drill. Who knows Every second they didn’t do the drill made it even more difficult to physically maneuver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 319F6D9E-E64E-474E-8DEE-EF9C096DE8CF.jpg (73.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #82
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Once you leave North America pretty much all the big airlines will have some sort of co-pilot program/cadet program that puts 200hr wonders into a wide or narrow body jet. That's just reality. BUT, don't think we're immune here in Canada; Jazz is throwing 200hr pilots in the right seat.

Problem with that is they don't learn the instinctual hands and feet you learn by either spending time in the bush or flying smaller stuff for a bit. Sure they might be encouraged to hand fly a departure or approach from time to time but for the most part the auto pilot is doing everything (because it will fly an ILS better than most humans) and will also be smoother for passenger comfort.

I was talking about this to one of my Captains yesterday. For me personally I am happier and more comfortable tossing a plane around, low level, in shitty weather than I am doing a circling approach on autopilot. And it situations where the plane is doing something weird my first instinct is to mash the autopilot disconnect button (which disables the electric trim as well) and hand fly. My assumption is these 200hr wonders, or people who have solely done big jets, will ride out the auto pilot because that's what they're comfortable with.

One mans biased opinion haha.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #83
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
so its like trying to manhandle the plane in vnav mode

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #84
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
So it sounds like from Boeing’s point of view, they will say the pilots have inadequate training. But from everybody else’s POV, they will say the plane’s design is flawed?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Just saw my dads friend today who is an ex Air Canada pilot and I asked him about all of this.

He said that the 1st officer was a noob who only had like 200 hours of flying time. He said the 1st officer was pretty much the same as a kid with his learners license. If there was a problem with the aircraft, that first officer was pretty much useless.

He said that before AC would even entertain his application (30 years ago) he would need 5,000 hours of flying before. He also mentioned that pilots in the last 10 years are HIGHLY needed and that it isn't uncommon for developing countries and China to take pilots that aren't as experienced as they should because they need flight crew. Case in point, having a first officer that only has 200 ish hours of flying, he was utterly surprised by that.

He also said that there were many times when he was flying that the first officer was so useless he felt like he was flying the entire trip himself.

He pointed out that after the Lion air crash that every pilot in the WORLD should have gotten that air directive and should have brushed up on how to turn off that MCAS, he also said that MCAS isn't a new type of system, the captain should have known to shut it off right away. He's thinking that the manual switch didn't work to shut it off, or the pilot and first officer was too scared or in too much shock to even shut it off. He said it can get scary up there and if you don't keep a level head, you can get into a lot of trouble.
All hearsay and conjecture
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2019, 02:44 AM   #86
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The Max was supposed to save an already troubled Boeing. This could finish them off completely
Never going to happen.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #87
HELP ME PLS!!!

Agreed, they are financially strong. Their annual reports post pretty good numbers.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #88
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
They are right up there with banks etc in the “too big to fail” category
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #89
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
There just aren't enough pilots from what I heard less and less people wanted to be a pilot . You don't really make much money in the beginning because you have to fly smaller jets to get the hours and to be a pilot there are some pretty strict physically rules.

Maybe coz of the pilots shortage airlines are throwing pilots who needs to training inot jets they shouldn't be piloting?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #90
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So it sounds like from Boeing’s point of view, they will say the pilots have inadequate training. But from everybody else’s POV, they will say the plane’s design is flawed?
I’m rated on the Max. The release of the MCAS system does not change the way I operate the aircraft. It brought awareness to the situation. It is nice to know information, but without that information it doesn’t change much. I have 3-4000 hours in other Boeing aircraft and they were operated the same way.

Potentially there is faults with the system which is putting these airplanes in an undesirable state. But pilots should have adequate training to deal with this. In reality, that is our job. To deal with the situations which can’t be controlled by automation.

Really, I need to state again no one really knows what went wrong. It could be as simple as the auto trim function, or it could be way more complex. Who knows. The planes are grounded, and the best thing about accidents is things usually change for the better in the eyes of safety.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-14-2019 at 01:48 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #91
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:
Armchair engineer/pilot here - sounds like a software update might rectify the MCAS system which self-adjust too easily. Or take that system off completely ... I heard that some pilots were not even aware MCAS was embedded into the autopilot.

I'm buying into BA ... reminds me a bit like the VW diesel fiasco, buy low and give it a year or two and it will bounce back. Only drawback, it is so damn expensive at $370 US.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #92

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
All hearsay and conjecture
Of course it is. It's his opinion. Isn't this entire thread hearsay and conjecture?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Armchair engineer/pilot here - sounds like a software update might rectify the MCAS system which self-adjust too easily. Or take that system off completely ... I heard that some pilots were not even aware MCAS was embedded into the autopilot.

I'm buying into BA ... reminds me a bit like the VW diesel fiasco, buy low and give it a year or two and it will bounce back. Only drawback, it is so damn expensive at $370 US.
A software update was in the works after the Lion Air crash but it was delayed due to the government shutdown affecting the FAA.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/polit...are/index.html

Quote:
Boeing announced Monday it had been working on a software fix for the 737 Max aircraft over "the past several months and in the aftermath" of Lion Air Flight 610 that went down in late October over the Java Sea off Indonesia, killing 189 passengers. The process was underway before the Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 crash over the weekend, which killed 157 people and also involved a 737 Max. Both flights crashed minutes into their journeys.
The circumstances of the crashes remain under investigation.
Boeing, which said it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration "on development, planning and certification of the software enhancement," said the fix will be on 737 Max planes no later than April.

But the company's software update had initially been expected in early January, the Journal reported.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #94
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
A software update was in the works after the Lion Air crash but it was delayed due to the government shutdown affecting the FAA.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/polit...are/index.html
I hesitate on trusting anything that CNN puts out... they would do anything to pull together strings to say that it was Trump's fault.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I hesitate on trusting anything that CNN puts out... they would do anything to pull together strings to say that it was Trump's fault.
They are literally reporting on what Boeing announced... If you're into Trump's "fake news" rhetoric do some research on your own then.

This took a 5 second google search:

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-re...ts?item=130402
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #96
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
They are literally reporting on what Boeing announced... If you're into Trump's "fake news" rhetoric do some research on your own then.

This took a 5 second google search:

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-re...ts?item=130402
It does not mention anything to do with the government shut down delaying this process, that's what I was referring to.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
It does not mention anything to do with the government shut down delaying this process, that's what I was referring to.
Ok so the article is citing US officials as sources regarding that point but let's just say they have no journalistic integrity and it's all fake news...

Lets put two and two together...Boeing says they were working very closely with the FAA regarding the software update since the Lion Air crash. FAA is part of the US government.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #98
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
I’m rated on the Max. The release of the MCAS system does not change the way I operate the aircraft. It brought awareness to the situation. It is nice to know information, but without that information it doesn’t change much. I have 3-4000 hours in other Boeing aircraft and they were operated the same way.

Potentially there is faults with the system which is putting these airplanes in an undesirable state. But pilots should have adequate training to deal with this. In reality, that is our job. To deal with the situations which can’t be controlled by automation.
This. For those not in aviation 'Runaway Trim' is a Red Page (must commit to memory) emergency in every aircraft with electrically or hydraulically assisted trim. From what I've read the MCAS is NOT connected exclusively to the AP so simply turning that off will not have the desired effect. Unless there's something else that keeps the MCAS in operation even after killing the trim via switch and/or circuit breaker, the investigation will likely prove this incident to be pilot error in mishandling the emergency. The fact that the emergency is happening with frequency is a different argument altogether.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #99
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Most planes have inherent flaws... Some of them deadly.

Quote:

Really, I need to state again no one really knows what went wrong. It could be as simple as the auto trim function, or it could be way more complex. Who knows. The planes are grounded, and the best thing about accidents is things usually change for the better in the eyes of safety.
So, uh, I'll shoot you a PM in a few years when I'm ready to apply? haha

Exactly. Everyone is going down the rabbit hole but until a report is released we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Of course it is. It's his opinion. Isn't this entire thread hearsay and conjecture?
...no? Some people brought that in, but the rest have been trying to use quality sources top get a grip on what's going on with this whole situation.

Adding a post with a bunch of baseless speculation with a touch of nationalist superiority brings down the quality of the thread, even if it's from a pilot.

Compare that post to hud 91's post and you'll see what I mean. hud's is pure quality, and contributes a lot to the thread. It's not as dramatic though so I get it