REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #151
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Bombardier is sort of cool, because they sort of make a DeHavilland, but not really. And DeHavilland's being the best plane of all time; makes Bombardier sort of cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I was just about to post a similar article. If that is true, now we are into some serious Boeing doo doo, and I will be the first to say I could be wrong.
Never thought about physically being unable to manually trim out a plane... That's a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I don't see how the plane can get re-certified with this type of actual design fault.
They'll find a way i'm sure. I mean, there's a float plane that's certified for passengers where it's near impossible to open the back/passenger doors from the inside haha.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #152
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
But Embreaer is Brazillion. That says enough. Lol. I think the 190/175 was a good plane. Have a few hours in that bird too. But it’s no Boeing, but the 190 being the largest Embraer is substantially smaller (fuselage diameter) then any Boeing. Different class. But Bombardier makes good planes and I’m excited to get my hands on the new one. Err Airbus. Yuck. I hate airbus. Lol
Just have to say, I really enjoy your input here, and I hope you keep posting!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #153
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Lol well thanks Skinny. Don’t think I add that much. Certainly don’t take my word as gospel. I just realized I lied about Boeing/Embraer comparison. The Boeing 717 is probably considered a competitor to the Emb 190. Not my fault though, no one bought those things except for that Hawaian airline.

There is lots of good knowledgeable people in this thread. Gabby up there is all over it too.

... but besides that. Do we really need a reason to like Bombardier? Show some Canadian pride! Playing with the big boys from our own home.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #154

The goods from the preliminary report. The fact the crew did everything possible gave me goosebumps. The fact the MCAS was able to overpower any manual trim input is scary. I am truely amazed this aircraft was not grounded immediately (by Boeing, knowing the power of the system). The “Stabilizer cutout” system is basically disconnect the power cable from the power trim system from what was taught. A “manual trim” system is taught to always be there just in case. I suppose that is what happens when we get further away from cables and rods, and more into electronics. RIP, and I’m sorry for having any doubt in the crews actions.

I am going to have to review the Lion air preliminary report. I was 90% sure the crew did not take appropriate action. This is a whole other level. I’ve encountered an uncontrollable stickshaker just after takeoff. It was incredibly distracting, nevermind any other issues.

“2 INITIAL FINDINGS
On the basis of the initial information gathered during the course of the investigation, the following facts have been determined:
 The Aircraft possessed a valid certificate of airworthiness;
 The crew obtained the license and qualifications to conduct the flight;
 The takeoff roll appeared normal, including normal values of left and right angle-of-attack
(AOA).
 Shortly after liftoff, the value of the left angle of attack sensor deviated from the right one
and reached 74.5 degrees while the right angle of attack sensor value was 15.3 degrees;
then after; the stick shaker activated and remained active until near the end of the flight.
 After autopilot engagement, there were small amplitude roll oscillations accompanied by lateral acceleration, rudder oscillations and slight heading changes; these oscillations also
continued after the autopilot disengaged.
 After the autopilot disengaged, the DFDR recorded an automatic aircraft nose down (AND)
trim command four times without pilot’s input. As a result, three motions of the stabilizer trim were recorded. The FDR data also indicated that the crew utilized the electric manual trim to counter the automatic AND input.
 The crew performed runaway stabilizer checklist and put the stab trim cutout switch to cutout position and confirmed that the manual trim operation was not working.”

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-04-2019 at 09:17 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #155
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
So even some of the people who have worked on Boeing’s new 737 MAX airplane were baffled to learn that the company had designed an automated safety system that abandoned the principles of component redundancy, ultimately entrusting the automated decision-making to just one sensor — a type of sensor that was known to fail.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ed-on-the-jet/
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #156
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Hopefully I’m not the only one who doesn’t know, but what does “trim” mean in this airplane context?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #157

The only way I can somehow relate it to a vehicle (easier said with a boat)... but....

A trim system uses an aerodynamic advantage to ease the control forces of a control surface. In simple terms...

Let’s say you are driving down the road and you want to put on your make up, and eat your Big Mac but your steering wheel keeps going left. A trim system would be an “on the fly” knob (manual trim) or some buttons (electric power trim) which could adjust your alignment so your car is now straight as an arrow down the road. The MCAS would be like a lane departure system. If it senses things it doesn’t like, it will use the power trim system (powered on the fly alignment) to put the car back in the lane. So if there is a failure in the lane departure system (MCAS), a driver has been taught to shut off the electric alignment system (power trim) so they can use a manual system to get the car straight again. Once it is straight you can use the steering wheel to make your inputs. The thing is with this preliminary report, is that manual knob appears to have been disabled when the lane departure system was doing its job(whether in error or not).You now put down your mascara, and even drop the Big Mac to use your man strength to hold the car in the lane. The thing is, the faster your going the harder and more severe those inputs are. You don’t have much time to correct, and or are not physically able to do so. Due to how an aircraft literally flies, a trim system is required even on the smallest of aircraft. There are huge forces on the control surfaces and we little humans can’t physically control the plane with out this “trim”.

Hope that helps. I had to edit it about a million times.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-04-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #158
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
The goods from the preliminary report. The fact the crew did everything possible gave me goosebumps. The fact the MCAS was able to overpower any manual trim input is scary. I am truely amazed this aircraft was not grounded immediately (by Boeing, knowing the power of the system). The “Stabilizer cutout” system is basically disconnect the power cable from the power trim system from what was taught. A “manual trim” system is taught to always be there just in case. I suppose that is what happens when we get further away from cables and rods, and more into electronics. RIP, and I’m sorry for having any doubt in the crews actions.

I am going to have to review the Lion air preliminary report. I was 90% sure the crew did not take appropriate action. This is a whole other level. I’ve encountered an uncontrollable stickshaker just after takeoff. It was incredibly distracting, nevermind any other issues.

“2 INITIAL FINDINGS
On the basis of the initial information gathered during the course of the investigation, the following facts have been determined:
 The Aircraft possessed a valid certificate of airworthiness;
 The crew obtained the license and qualifications to conduct the flight;
 The takeoff roll appeared normal, including normal values of left and right angle-of-attack
(AOA).
 Shortly after liftoff, the value of the left angle of attack sensor deviated from the right one
and reached 74.5 degrees while the right angle of attack sensor value was 15.3 degrees;
then after; the stick shaker activated and remained active until near the end of the flight.
 After autopilot engagement, there were small amplitude roll oscillations accompanied by lateral acceleration, rudder oscillations and slight heading changes; these oscillations also
continued after the autopilot disengaged.
 After the autopilot disengaged, the DFDR recorded an automatic aircraft nose down (AND)
trim command four times without pilot’s input. As a result, three motions of the stabilizer trim were recorded. The FDR data also indicated that the crew utilized the electric manual trim to counter the automatic AND input.
 The crew performed runaway stabilizer checklist and put the stab trim cutout switch to cutout position and confirmed that the manual trim operation was not working.”
Scary. Very scary.

Gumby - in addition to hud's explanation, in aviation terms:
An aircraft at a specific speed, in order to remain in level flight, will have a tab or stabilizer on the elevator (up and down control) that will keep the aerodynamic forces where they need to be to maintain that attitude (straight and level). As you speed up or slow down the trim helps alleviate forces on the pilots controls as a result of the aerodynamic forces of the airflow over the flight controls. This video shows how it works:

In these crashes the MCAS (automatic trim) was pushing the nose forward excessively and the pilots could not reverse it. They were pulling back on the controls that were fighting them with more than 100lbs of force. It was so much force, and the aircraft was at such a speed and accelerating in a dive, that they could not manually re-trim the aircraft to regain control. They were being aerodynamically overpowered. They actually turned the MCAS system back on in hopes of that allowing their manual nose-up trim inputs through the system to work. MCAS reacted to its bad sensor input and pushed the nose forward even more. The pilots had no way of regaining control of the aircraft despite going above and beyond the recommended emergency procedures for the situation. Hope this helps your understanding.

The first lawsuit against Boeing and the FAA was filed in the US today. I expect many more to follow, they are going to win.

RIP to all the victims, those pilots fought hard.

Last edited by JDął; 04-04-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #159
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
appreciate the ones here that tryna explain technical details/mechanisms to interested layman

web forums should be about educating the poorly-informed instead of mocking them
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2019, 02:26 AM   #160
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Exactly, that's why I mentioned how I appreciate Hud's posts. He only really talks about what he knows, explains it well (and a lot of the time the topic is fascinating) along with some informed opinions which may or may not be correct but are still more valuable than a layperson's. At the very least, the perspective is valuable and appreciated.

The findings are sad and scary. I only ever wanted to err on the side of caution until we knew more. I didn't assume the worst, I just thought it might be possible and wanted to see. And it looks like grounding the craft was the right move.

I also didn't like the comments from that guy's pilot friend about supposed low quality of inexperienced, non Canadian pilots. I don't care if they came from a pilot or anyone else - I hated the idea of blaming people without knowing more, and now that we do, you can see why. That's a perfect example of two people who can both provide valuable insight, but one chose rumors, speculation, and bad faith assumptions instead.

I didn't even want to bring up all the people talking about how much money they planned to make buying Boeing stock... I hate stock trading and this is an example why. It seems that you have to lose your humanity in order to make money on crises like these, and I don't see how that doesn't just make your skin crawl when doing so. BTW I am NOT hoping for Boeing to die so all the greedy investors lose money (because a ton of people who don't care about stock prices would suffer even more), but come on.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-05-2019, 05:09 AM   #161

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Brutal. Got goosebumps reading through the flight recorder transcript.

All the internet armchair pilots scoffing and blaming it on the "third world crew" need to eat their words.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Scary. Very scary.

In these crashes the MCAS (automatic trim) was pushing the nose forward excessively and the pilots could not reverse it. They were pulling back on the controls that were fighting them with more than 100lbs of force. It was so much force, and the aircraft was at such a speed and accelerating in a dive, that they could not manually re-trim the aircraft to regain control. They were being aerodynamically overpowered. They actually turned the MCAS system back on in hopes of that allowing their manual nose-up trim inputs through the system to work. MCAS reacted to its bad sensor input and pushed the nose forward even more. The pilots had no way of regaining control of the aircraft despite going above and beyond the recommended emergency procedures for the situation. Hope this helps your understanding.

The first lawsuit against Boeing and the FAA was filed in the US today. I expect many more to follow, they are going to win.

RIP to all the victims, those pilots fought hard.
From your understanding, it sounds like the manual trim was still operational, just not successful in correcting the situation. I haven’t actually read the whole report yet, but “confirmed that the manual trim was not working” makes me believe it was innopriative. There is obviously a huge difference between the two.

For those who don’t quite understand.
1) the manual trim still works, but the aircraft is in such a state it cannot be recovered quickly enough. This could have been remedied by quicker action of the cutout switches, stopping the erratic trim operation earlier on, hoping the aircraft is in a decent state.
2) the manual trim is no longer operative. The aircraft lost that control input completely.

Big difference. If you look at the data analysis of the “trim indiciation”, there is a huge flat spot where it is stated the manual trim is not working. You would think, even a little turn of the manual trim would be indicated. It also does not state the cutoff switches were returned to normal, but the data shows electric manual and the MCAS were used after. Not a lot of info in the report.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-05-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #163

Boeing takes the blame.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3361880002/
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #164

Well, i'll be the first to admit that this didn't play out the way I foresaw it.

Scary stuff. Very scary...

I think i'm going to stick to my smaller/bush planes for a little while longer haha. At least there it's all on me.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #165
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Man they had just over a minute from the report to do everything they can and they did and still wasn't enough.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #166
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
From your understanding, it sounds like the manual trim was still operational, just not successful in correcting the situation. I haven’t actually read the whole report yet, but “confirmed that the manual trim was not working” makes me believe it was innopriative. There is obviously a huge difference between the two.

For those who don’t quite understand.
1) the manual trim still works, but the aircraft is in such a state it cannot be recovered quickly enough. This could have been remedied by quicker action of the cutout switches, stopping the erratic trim operation earlier on, hoping the aircraft is in a decent state.
2) the manual trim is no longer operative. The aircraft lost that control input completely.

Big difference. If you look at the data analysis of the “trim indiciation”, there is a huge flat spot where it is stated the manual trim is not working. You would think, even a little turn of the manual trim would be indicated. It also does not state the cutoff switches were returned to normal, but the data shows electric manual and the MCAS were used after. Not a lot of info in the report.
It's still a bit gray. From what I saw/read the use of the manual trim was ineffective and they pointed to the aircraft's speed and heavy pilot input on the controls as limiting the ability of the manual trim, so they turned MCAS back on in hopes that it would give more authority to their trim inputs in order to recover. Didn't specifically say 'not operational'. Obviously with MCAS having a single point of failure flaw in its design it just made the situation worse and put them in to a steeper dive. It alluded to Scenario 1 but until ALL data is released the exact chain of events is still speculative.

Last edited by JDął; 04-05-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Fucking RS keeps logging me out as I type
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #167

I'm curious if a full fly by wire system would have allowed them to put in the correct amount of control input. Or if the plane would essentially stop them from over g'ing the plane... I know that fly by wire pushes back on the pilot to give the "sensation" of control forces, I wonder how strong the system is able to push back against the pilot.

Regardless I know I wouldn't be comfortable flying a plane where I couldn't 100% manually control and make it do what I want it to do when shit hits the fan.

Sounds like a question I'm going to ask in ground school one day haha.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #168

You can easily G these things out. I see it all the time recovering from unusual attitudes in the sim. The odd acrobatic maneuver does it too.... when they do it wrong. Not that I’ve never screwed up

After reading the report, there is certainly lots of holes and missing information. Interesting things I’d like to know is if the FDR actually record the action of the cutoff switch. If you notice in the report, it is a verbal confirmation. Whether the FDR records manual trim input. These two things would tell a lot more of the story.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #169

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/m...x-crashes.html

Excellent article, it took me a good 30 minutes to read, but I suggest anyone who was interested in this accident give it a long thorough read. Long story short, it goes back to our initial thoughts on the crews performance and decades of industry cost cutting, industry expansion and lack of due diligence.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 09-21-2019 at 11:24 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #170
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Excellent article, it took me a good 30 minutes to read, but I suggest anyone who was interested in this accident give it a long thorough read. Long story short, it goes back to our initial thoughts on the crews performance and decades of industry cost cutting, industry expansion and lack of due diligence.
Not to sound alarmist and I do implore you to take this with a grain of salt, but this is why I avoid on trips to Asia, when possible, certain carriers. Its gotten to the point where you are playing roulette with your life on specific airlines. Pilots for these companies have low levels of airmanship and overly rely on automated systems. When shit hits the fan, these guys are not the types of pilots you want flying the aircraft manually. Look no further than the Asiana crash in SFO.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #171
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Not to sound alarmist and I do implore you to take this with a grain of salt, but this is why I avoid on trips to Asia, when possible, certain carriers. Its gotten to the point where you are playing roulette with your life on specific airlines. Pilots for these companies have low levels of airmanship and overly rely on automated systems. When shit hits the fan, these guys are not the types of pilots you want flying the aircraft manually. Look no further than the Asiana crash in SFO.
It's true, you get what you pay for. Air Asia is another low cost airline that has their own training academy. They however do fly A320s that according to this article is more forgiving to lack of pilot skills.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #172
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
which ones to avoid?

air asia, lion air, allegiant air, ryanair

the 30 min $25 flight i flew in africa seemed okay
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #173
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
which ones to avoid?

air asia, lion air, allegiant air, ryanair

the 30 min $25 flight i flew in africa seemed okay
I think the stat is like 1 in 300 million to die in a plane crash. It's just your chances go up quite a bit to maybe 1 in 50 million with an airline that doesn't have the best safety records.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #174

you can't avoid
if you have to die, you have to die
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #175
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:

If this is consensus view, why are the 737 Max still grounded? And why delay after delay to get them back up in the air?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote