REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
I'd be curious to see what the real world performance turns out to be when they actually get produced. XBox being ahead of Playstation would be a surprise given how far behind they were the last 2 gens.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Rockstar re-re-re-releasing GTA V for PS5.

Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'd be curious to see what the real world performance turns out to be when they actually get produced. XBox being ahead of Playstation would be a surprise given how far behind they were the last 2 gens.
XBOX One X is WAY WAY more powerful than PS4 pro.

360 was more powerful than PS3 graphics-wise

Xbox One and PS4 were around the same
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
XBOX One X didn’t come out until most gamers had already converted to Playstation.

PS3 was a better package than 360 (free online, Blu-Ray player, built-in wifi, rechargeable controllers, etc). 360 nickled and dimed you to death.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #30

I know, I just wanted to post a correction on the idea that the Xbox consoles have been "far behind" PlayStation going generations back. It has actually been the opposite. PS3 had to render games in SD resolutions to keep up. Luckily they had a really good upscaler.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #31

Size reference

Old 06-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
PlayStation has so many more exclusives that interest me compared to XBOX that I can't even consider it even if it was twice as powerful. The differences will be minimal as far as third party games I'd expect.

The design of the ps5 is definitely interesting, wasn't expecting that.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #33

The exclusives and simply the marketing success allows Sony to release a console that is way bigger, slower CPU, slower GPU, and less hard drive space, for probably the same price (there's actually a good chance it'll cost more) than the XBOX.

But it's important to only buy something that suits you. I am still torn about this, but there's no way anyone is getting one right away without significant effort. So it's impossible to be able to wait for benchmarks to come out (if that matters).

The huge size is an issue that I hadn't thought of before
Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #34

The size isn't a huge concern of mine unless it doesn't fit in my tv stand which would mean it's bigger than an old VCR.

The Canadian price could get ugly though.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Rockstar re-re-re-releasing GTA V for PS5.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #36

Why do they show console standing vertically in all the promo shots? I can't say I know anyone that has theirs set up like that at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
XBOX One X is WAY WAY more powerful than PS4 pro.

360 was more powerful than PS3 graphics-wise

Xbox One and PS4 were around the same
I've never looked at the X and Pro, but the 360 was miles behind the PS3 design-wise. On top of the stuff already mentioned don't forget the analog-only video output, stereo audio, no included HDD, and don't forget that 43% failure rate. If you ever opened up a 360 and a PS3 it was pretty obvious which one had far more thought put into the design. Similarly with the One they cheaped out on stuff like the internal HDD so games load faster off an external drive. It also had a more bloated OS so games didn't run quite as well (granted I doubt anyone would be able to tell and I think they fixed that later on).

I also hated how my cats tail would trigger the power button on the One but that's more of a personal grievance lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why do they show console standing vertically in all the promo shots? I can't say I know anyone that has theirs set up like that at home.

I've never looked at the X and Pro, but the 360 was miles behind the PS3 design-wise. On top of the stuff already mentioned don't forget the analog-only video output, stereo audio, no included HDD, and don't forget that 43% failure rate. If you ever opened up a 360 and a PS3 it was pretty obvious which one had far more thought put into the design. Similarly with the One they cheaped out on stuff like the internal HDD so games load faster off an external drive. It also had a more bloated OS so games didn't run quite as well (granted I doubt anyone would be able to tell and I think they fixed that later on).

I also hated how my cats tail would trigger the power button on the One but that's more of a personal grievance lol.
I agree (and so would Microsoft) that the 360 was poorly designed. Obviously, it cost them millions to fix the issue, and they are only just getting the trust of the people back.

But I was only referring to graphics hardware capability.. I guess that's not the best thing to do, since a product is a lot more than just the amount of pixels it can put out.

You make great points that I should have noticed, especially considering I was just shopping for a new phone recently, and came across this very issue (there is a LOT of cheap garbage out there with very high specs) Thanks for setting me straight
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #38
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Everyone designing all their shit to put ON TOP of consoles and entertainment units rather than inside like it’s some kind of trophy or show piece ffs.. I hate components being out of my unit itself or having to be buried behind somthing

All these consoles and stuff like google home etc. Are all eye sores imo.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I agree (and so would Microsoft) that the 360 was poorly designed. Obviously, it cost them millions to fix the issue, and they are only just getting the trust of the people back.

But I was only referring to graphics hardware capability.. I guess that's not the best thing to do, since a product is a lot more than just the amount of pixels it can put out.

You make great points that I should have noticed, especially considering I was just shopping for a new phone recently, and came across this very issue (there is a LOT of cheap garbage out there with very high specs) Thanks for setting me straight
It's difficult for consumers, because until you actually own the thing, what else can you go on but the specs and their potential? Especially buying close to launch, before the real world usage feedback starts coming in.

In the end though I think a lot of it comes down to exclusives or what your buddies own and almost nobody cares about any of that stuff I mentioned anyways
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #40

The majority of people buy the brand, not the specs. It's fun to argue a bit over which console is actually more powerful but in reality people buy what they are used to, and what the majority of their friends play on. Let's be honest, even if XBOX is "superior" spec wise they are close enough where no one that buys a PS5 is going to feel shafted, you wouldn't notice unless you had them hooked up side by side.

Unless Sony totally fucks up the pricing of this console I predict another PlayStation win, they have a lot more momentum going into the next gen than XBOX.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #41
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
The pinnacle of next-gen gaming

Old 06-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The majority of people buy the brand, not the specs. It's fun to argue a bit over which console is actually more powerful but in reality people buy what they are used to, and what the majority of their friends play on. Let's be honest, even if XBOX is "superior" spec wise they are close enough where no one that buys a PS5 is going to feel shafted, you wouldn't notice unless you had them hooked up side by side.

Unless Sony totally fucks up the pricing of this console I predict another PlayStation win, they have a lot more momentum going into the next gen than XBOX.
This.

My neighbour is a MASSIVE Xbox guy. He's an executive editor at Xbox Addict and is always trying to get me to buy one. Short of one or two titles, I can play everything I want on my Playstation. I've had an Xbox in the past but I just don't see the need to get a new one over the PS.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
looks quite underwhelming in terms of hardware
every PS generation was a huge leap but this feels like 4.5
has raw GPU power equivalent to top-end PC from almost 4 years ago when it launches end of 2020
i mean it's not bad for the next year or three but this is a platform they have to work with for another 7 years
1TB NVMe is sweet though, about time storage is taken seriously in consoles

then again the xbox has all the hardware firepower but no must-have apps to own it

Last edited by twitchyzero; 06-12-2020 at 11:56 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #45

lol it definitely has that high end router look to it. They could have played it safe and made it look like a black box but as long as the design doesn't add to the price I don't care. The design should cater more to keeping it cool than anything else, whatever keeps it from sounding like a jet engine should be the design.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^ hahaha that... friend actually plays on headphones for that reason loololol

i personally love the design (full on playstation fan boy here), when the unveil happened i was hyped... and it does look.like smth from the future...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #47
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
All PS designs have been mocked to death once announced.

I like it. Enough to convince my wife that's the fancy 4k Bluray player that we needed to buy.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #48
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
All PS designs have been mocked to death once announced.

I like it. Enough to convince my wife that's the fancy 4k Bluray player that we needed to buy.
I told my wife we needed the DVD function for the PS4 in order to play discs from Japan for our kid....lol. .. I need a new strategy for the PS5 since we've been streaming everything...
JDM GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #49

Releasing at $299 November 5th and series X at $499 November 6th. Pre orders may go live sept 9th
Old 09-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #50