REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,810 Times in 8,187 Posts
Next Gen Thread PS5 and XBOX

It's 2020 now, and both new consoles will launch later this year. MS already announced the XBOX, and showed off the first model, the Series X:

Other "Series" are expected to follow in the coming years, including an online-only version with lower specs.

No specs have been announced though, but some pretty juicy leaks came out just before NYE.

Here's how they look:

Both very similar architecture, using the latest AMD tech. As you can see, the XBOX Series X should be significantly faster than the PS5, and that's just hardware - they've announced some pretty interesting platform designs that will essentially give the CPU and GPU direct access to memory. I doubt many games will take advantage of it immediately (except maybe Hellblade 2 and other exclusives) but once they do, the Series X should leave anything else in its dust - including top end PC's.

My thought going into this was if I was going to get back into console gaming, I'd grab a PS5 for exclusives, and do most of my gaming on PC. After all, Microsoft has significantly updated their support for PC gaming - basically everything that comes out on XBOX will be on PC as well. But man when I found out what the performance is going to be like, I might just want to do ALL my gaming on the XBOX. If it's $500, there's no way a $500 GPU can compete. Not for long, at least.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
one X already trounces the PS4p

and guess how many games i've played on it in 2 years: one (wasn't an exclusive either)

hardware aint shit if there's no titles

looks like my console days are over, i might grab like a ps5p down the road but just to play a few exclusives then dump, not something i keep forever/nostalgia
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

speaker xbox???
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
rumors have it ps5 is backwards compatible with ps4 games.

that might be a game changer like back to the old days.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #5

Same architecture, and in th at article I posted, they see the GPU clocking down to match PS4 speeds. So as of now, it looks like PS5's backwards compatibility will play the games as a PS4, rather than enhancing the games like XBOX does. However that means games should be automatically compatible.

New XBOX should be backwards compatible going back to the 360, with the games that are added to the 360 > XB1 backwards compatibility list, and these games will be enhanced as well. At this point, we're not sure if XB1 games will be enhanced in a similar way when played on an XBOX.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I'll grab a PS5 at some point. Xbox will probably need to come in significantly cheaper than Sony if they want to have a chance at taking the crown next gen.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I like console for sports games, other than that I'd rather play on PC.

I'm sure my son will ask for a PS5, when it comes to console I think the most important thing for most the younger people is what your friends play on. If most of them are on playstation you'll want that and if they are on Xbox vice versa.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
I'm so far behind on games I'm *just* getting back into PS4 stuff. I mostly game on the PC but for as much as possible I'd much rather be on a couch holding a controller.

Assuming the controller is the same size as normal (and not a throwback to the OG XBox gorilla hands things) that's a very compact design. Designing it to be stood up like that seems a little odd as that won't fit most peoples TV stands and stuff, hopefully you can at least put it on one side even though the logo will be weird. But hey, as long as it isn't hideously ugly nobody is going to notice it while playing anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'd grab a PS5 for exclusives, and do most of my gaming on PC. After all, Microsoft has significantly updated their support for PC gaming
This here... is why MS lost the last-gen and will continue to lose this gen. They got cocky after the 360 success and wanted everyone, both the developers and gamers to bend backwards and hence so many fucked-up decisions.

They still haven't learn... you can't have it both ways. MS thinks that by making it closer between console and PC (since they are so big on PC), it will give them the advantage they need.

However, the opposite is true IMHO. If you support the PC gaming as well as the console, then any incentive to buy the console is gone for anyone who has a decent rig.

For their console to succeed, they HAVE to differentiate it with PC.

I haven't been paying much attention to next gen's news... but from the little I read, it seems that there are already exclusive titles on the PS5 announced?! This is how you work on a console. Secure as many exclusives as you possibly can... not making them as accessible as they can.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
This here... is why MS lost the last-gen and will continue to lose this gen. They got cocky after the 360 success and wanted everyone, both the developers and gamers to bend backwards and hence so many fucked-up decisions.

They still haven't learn... you can't have it both ways. MS thinks that by making it closer between console and PC (since they are so big on PC), it will give them the advantage they need.

However, the opposite is true IMHO. If you support the PC gaming as well as the console, then any incentive to buy the console is gone for anyone who has a decent rig.

For their console to succeed, they HAVE to differentiate it with PC.

I haven't been paying much attention to next gen's news... but from the little I read, it seems that there are already exclusive titles on the PS5 announced?! This is how you work on a console. Secure as many exclusives as you possibly can... not making them as accessible as they can.
They're both pretty close to the PC now. It probably wouldn't take much work to make a PS4 game work on the XBOX One and vice versa.

The thing is MS is taking a different strategy of having everyone buy their games whether it's for a PC or their console. They are finally looking at the PC as a serious gaming platform, so it's pretty much combined with XBOX now. For PC gamers, it would make little sense to own two platforms (XBOX and PC) as it would be like owning two identical consoles (say, PS4 and PS4 Pro)

So it doesn't really hurt MS anymore if a PC gamer doesn't buy their console, since they will pretty much buy into their platform anyway, via Game Pass or MS games on their store,.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
They're both pretty close to the PC now. It probably wouldn't take much work to make a PS4 game work on the XBOX One and vice versa.

The thing is MS is taking a different strategy of having everyone buy their games whether it's for a PC or their console. They are finally looking at the PC as a serious gaming platform, so it's pretty much combined with XBOX now. For PC gamers, it would make little sense to own two platforms (XBOX and PC) as it would be like owning two identical consoles (say, PS4 and PS4 Pro)

So it doesn't really hurt MS anymore if a PC gamer doesn't buy their console, since they will pretty much buy into their platform anyway, via Game Pass or MS games on their store,.
Then they shouldn't have planned on a console, but rather, a (hardware)powerpack of some sort that goes into any modern PC (so there's a common platform) and work on a more integrated version of Steam.

By doing it accessible on the PC (as you said, it's an easy port give the hw structure), they will simply forego the console and use whatever it costs to upgrade their PC, affecting console sale. The less the console sale, the less 3rd parties. And it ends up affecting both sides.

I guess the benefit is that for ppl who have serious rigs, they probably have lil incentive to get console anymore when all major platforms are basically PC.

Last edited by Hehe; 01-11-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Hehe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I like console for sports games, other than that I'd rather play on PC.
That is one thing you can never replace and the biggest differentiator, is when you're having friends over for football etc, you are going to turn on your console to play NHL, NFL, FIFA... no way would you be doing that over a PC.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
when was backward compatibility ever a selling point. Seriously, I might have tried to put in an old game and i'm like.. holy F, graphic sucks, the game dynamics sucks, i couldn't get thru 1/2 hr and i wnet to the more modern version.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
when was backward compatibility ever a selling point. Seriously, I might have tried to put in an old game and i'm like.. holy F, graphic sucks, the game dynamics sucks, i couldn't get thru 1/2 hr and i wnet to the more modern version.
Plus if you have your old games you would still have your old system.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #15

It's starting to happen on the Sony side as well

Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
whos knows what it will do sales wise...4k gamer will be happy as hell.
i had my long share of it on ps4 with many hours,i won't be double dipping...amazing detailed game but i'm over it and had my fun already.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #17

I definitely want to check it out, along with Spiderman and God of War. Hope they all come out for PC! In that case I won't need a PS5 or XBOX, just stick to PC
Old 04-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #18

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Looks a little chunkier like the Xbox controller. Layout still the same so I'm sure it'll feel fine if you're used to PlayStation

Hopefully there's an all black version or at least something that's not white at launch
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #20
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
^^
Yup! I agree, just looks like an XBOX controller. But, I have a feeling it won't resemble that as much if it is available in darker colours.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'll wait until they come up with GTA 6 before buying PS5.

No other reason
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #22

I'm sure they'll have a million colours, and I assume white/black will be the default. They really need to do an all black though. This will look so dated in about 5 years.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
gimme boomerang

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #24
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

looks sleek
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #25

No pricing yet, each one waiting for the other to pull the trigger

If they are the same price, I think XBOX is the way to go, in terms of hardware. Sony just had to squeeze way too hard to get performance out of theirs, with overclocking in specific scenarios. It's going to be riding on the edge the entire time. The XBOX will just fucken GO. Storage performance will be a bit better on the PS5, but it will only be significant in exclusives. XBOX has Game Pass which is an insane deal. Every exclusive is included!

That being said, Game Pass will also be on PC, so if you have a gaming PC and want a console, it's kind of redundant to get an XBOX. That's pretty much the only reason I'd consider the PS5.