REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Next Gen Thread PS5 and XBOX (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716720-next-gen-thread-ps5-xbox.html)

SkinnyPupp 12-31-2019 06:52 PM

Next Gen Thread PS5 and XBOX

It's 2020 now, and both new consoles will launch later this year. MS already announced the XBOX, and showed off the first model, the Series X:

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-conte...-x-640x360.jpg

Other "Series" are expected to follow in the coming years, including an online-only version with lower specs.

No specs have been announced though, but some pretty juicy leaks came out just before NYE.

Here's how they look:

https://i.imgur.com/hGGTTT6.png

https://i.imgur.com/gAkXIVP.png

Both very similar architecture, using the latest AMD tech. As you can see, the XBOX Series X should be significantly faster than the PS5, and that's just hardware - they've announced some pretty interesting platform designs that will essentially give the CPU and GPU direct access to memory. I doubt many games will take advantage of it immediately (except maybe Hellblade 2 and other exclusives) but once they do, the Series X should leave anything else in its dust - including top end PC's.

My thought going into this was if I was going to get back into console gaming, I'd grab a PS5 for exclusives, and do most of my gaming on PC. After all, Microsoft has significantly updated their support for PC gaming - basically everything that comes out on XBOX will be on PC as well. But man when I found out what the performance is going to be like, I might just want to do ALL my gaming on the XBOX. If it's $500, there's no way a $500 GPU can compete. Not for long, at least.

twitchyzero 12-31-2019 07:31 PM

one X already trounces the PS4p

and guess how many games i've played on it in 2 years: one (wasn't an exclusive either)

hardware aint shit if there's no titles

looks like my console days are over, i might grab like a ps5p down the road but just to play a few exclusives then dump, not something i keep forever/nostalgia

danned 12-31-2019 09:41 PM

speaker xbox???

Mr.Money 01-01-2020 11:53 AM

rumors have it ps5 is backwards compatible with ps4 games.

that might be a game changer like back to the old days.

SkinnyPupp 01-01-2020 05:15 PM

Same architecture, and in th at article I posted, they see the GPU clocking down to match PS4 speeds. So as of now, it looks like PS5's backwards compatibility will play the games as a PS4, rather than enhancing the games like XBOX does. However that means games should be automatically compatible.

New XBOX should be backwards compatible going back to the 360, with the games that are added to the 360 > XB1 backwards compatibility list, and these games will be enhanced as well. At this point, we're not sure if XB1 games will be enhanced in a similar way when played on an XBOX.

MarkyMark 01-01-2020 07:31 PM

I'll grab a PS5 at some point. Xbox will probably need to come in significantly cheaper than Sony if they want to have a chance at taking the crown next gen.

quasi 01-10-2020 02:29 PM

I like console for sports games, other than that I'd rather play on PC.

I'm sure my son will ask for a PS5, when it comes to console I think the most important thing for most the younger people is what your friends play on. If most of them are on playstation you'll want that and if they are on Xbox vice versa.

underscore 01-10-2020 03:33 PM

I'm so far behind on games I'm *just* getting back into PS4 stuff. I mostly game on the PC but for as much as possible I'd much rather be on a couch holding a controller.

Assuming the controller is the same size as normal (and not a throwback to the OG XBox gorilla hands things) that's a very compact design. Designing it to be stood up like that seems a little odd as that won't fit most peoples TV stands and stuff, hopefully you can at least put it on one side even though the logo will be weird. But hey, as long as it isn't hideously ugly nobody is going to notice it while playing anyways.

Hehe 01-10-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8970191)
I'd grab a PS5 for exclusives, and do most of my gaming on PC. After all, Microsoft has significantly updated their support for PC gaming

This here... is why MS lost the last-gen and will continue to lose this gen. They got cocky after the 360 success and wanted everyone, both the developers and gamers to bend backwards and hence so many fucked-up decisions.

They still haven't learn... you can't have it both ways. MS thinks that by making it closer between console and PC (since they are so big on PC), it will give them the advantage they need.

However, the opposite is true IMHO. If you support the PC gaming as well as the console, then any incentive to buy the console is gone for anyone who has a decent rig.

For their console to succeed, they HAVE to differentiate it with PC.

I haven't been paying much attention to next gen's news... but from the little I read, it seems that there are already exclusive titles on the PS5 announced?! This is how you work on a console. Secure as many exclusives as you possibly can... not making them as accessible as they can.

SkinnyPupp 01-10-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8971036)
This here... is why MS lost the last-gen and will continue to lose this gen. They got cocky after the 360 success and wanted everyone, both the developers and gamers to bend backwards and hence so many fucked-up decisions.

They still haven't learn... you can't have it both ways. MS thinks that by making it closer between console and PC (since they are so big on PC), it will give them the advantage they need.

However, the opposite is true IMHO. If you support the PC gaming as well as the console, then any incentive to buy the console is gone for anyone who has a decent rig.

For their console to succeed, they HAVE to differentiate it with PC.

I haven't been paying much attention to next gen's news... but from the little I read, it seems that there are already exclusive titles on the PS5 announced?! This is how you work on a console. Secure as many exclusives as you possibly can... not making them as accessible as they can.

They're both pretty close to the PC now. It probably wouldn't take much work to make a PS4 game work on the XBOX One and vice versa.

The thing is MS is taking a different strategy of having everyone buy their games whether it's for a PC or their console. They are finally looking at the PC as a serious gaming platform, so it's pretty much combined with XBOX now. For PC gamers, it would make little sense to own two platforms (XBOX and PC) as it would be like owning two identical consoles (say, PS4 and PS4 Pro)

So it doesn't really hurt MS anymore if a PC gamer doesn't buy their console, since they will pretty much buy into their platform anyway, via Game Pass or MS games on their store,.

Hehe 01-11-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8971047)
They're both pretty close to the PC now. It probably wouldn't take much work to make a PS4 game work on the XBOX One and vice versa.

The thing is MS is taking a different strategy of having everyone buy their games whether it's for a PC or their console. They are finally looking at the PC as a serious gaming platform, so it's pretty much combined with XBOX now. For PC gamers, it would make little sense to own two platforms (XBOX and PC) as it would be like owning two identical consoles (say, PS4 and PS4 Pro)

So it doesn't really hurt MS anymore if a PC gamer doesn't buy their console, since they will pretty much buy into their platform anyway, via Game Pass or MS games on their store,.

Then they shouldn't have planned on a console, but rather, a (hardware)powerpack of some sort that goes into any modern PC (so there's a common platform) and work on a more integrated version of Steam.

By doing it accessible on the PC (as you said, it's an easy port give the hw structure), they will simply forego the console and use whatever it costs to upgrade their PC, affecting console sale. The less the console sale, the less 3rd parties. And it ends up affecting both sides.

I guess the benefit is that for ppl who have serious rigs, they probably have lil incentive to get console anymore when all major platforms are basically PC. :D

6793026 01-11-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8970993)
I like console for sports games, other than that I'd rather play on PC.

That is one thing you can never replace and the biggest differentiator, is when you're having friends over for football etc, you are going to turn on your console to play NHL, NFL, FIFA... no way would you be doing that over a PC.

6793026 01-11-2020 01:52 PM

when was backward compatibility ever a selling point. Seriously, I might have tried to put in an old game and i'm like.. holy F, graphic sucks, the game dynamics sucks, i couldn't get thru 1/2 hr and i wnet to the more modern version.

Manic! 01-11-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 8971079)
when was backward compatibility ever a selling point. Seriously, I might have tried to put in an old game and i'm like.. holy F, graphic sucks, the game dynamics sucks, i couldn't get thru 1/2 hr and i wnet to the more modern version.

Plus if you have your old games you would still have your old system.

SkinnyPupp 01-16-2020 02:44 PM

It's starting to happen on the Sony side as well

Mr.Money 01-16-2020 03:01 PM

whos knows what it will do sales wise...4k gamer will be happy as hell.
i had my long share of it on ps4 with many hours,i won't be double dipping...amazing detailed game but i'm over it and had my fun already.

SkinnyPupp 01-16-2020 03:15 PM

I definitely want to check it out, along with Spiderman and God of War. Hope they all come out for PC! In that case I won't need a PS5 or XBOX, just stick to PC :awwyeah:

SkinnyPupp 04-07-2020 02:45 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...da5ebc8_3k.jpg

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

MarkyMark 04-08-2020 12:26 PM

Looks a little chunkier like the Xbox controller. Layout still the same so I'm sure it'll feel fine if you're used to PlayStation

Hopefully there's an all black version or at least something that's not white at launch

european 04-09-2020 08:52 AM

^^
Yup! I agree, just looks like an XBOX controller. But, I have a feeling it won't resemble that as much if it is available in darker colours.

jackmeister 04-09-2020 09:40 AM

I'll wait until they come up with GTA 6 before buying PS5.

No other reason

SkinnyPupp 04-09-2020 04:23 PM

I'm sure they'll have a million colours, and I assume white/black will be the default. They really need to do an all black though. This will look so dated in about 5 years.

twitchyzero 04-09-2020 06:08 PM

gimme boomerang

https://i.redd.it/j6rvc9hoff031.jpg

vyrospec 06-11-2020 01:24 PM

https://i.imgur.com/S5Q2RI8.jpg

looks sleek

SkinnyPupp 06-11-2020 03:03 PM

:heckno:

No pricing yet, each one waiting for the other to pull the trigger

If they are the same price, I think XBOX is the way to go, in terms of hardware. Sony just had to squeeze way too hard to get performance out of theirs, with overclocking in specific scenarios. It's going to be riding on the edge the entire time. The XBOX will just fucken GO. Storage performance will be a bit better on the PS5, but it will only be significant in exclusives. XBOX has Game Pass which is an insane deal. Every exclusive is included!

That being said, Game Pass will also be on PC, so if you have a gaming PC and want a console, it's kind of redundant to get an XBOX. That's pretty much the only reason I'd consider the PS5.