REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #101
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
If they want people to sign up for Game Pass, don't expect them to release the same games on Playstation.... Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Quake, etc, are MS games now

It would be like Netflix produced shows being on other channels.. Not gonna happen.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #102
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If they want people to sign up for Game Pass, don't expect them to release the same games on Playstation.... Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Quake, etc, are MS games now

It would be like Netflix produced shows being on other channels.. Not gonna happen.
You could be right but I don't think it's 100% set in stone. They are spending huge coin here and there has to be a payoff at some point. Cutting out Playstation means cutting out millions of copies being sold on games that were once multi platform. My guess is they crunch the numbers and go with what makes the most money.

There's so many routes they can go. Full exclusive, timed exclusive etc.

I'm kind of surprised it's taken MS so long to do something like this, just walk in and throw major cash around that your competitors can't compete with and buy libraries of games.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #103

The payoff will be 40 million people paying $10-15 a month every month for years on end

I can see them doing non exclusive for select titles. They are doing that with Minecraft

But this was their way of addressing "no good exclusives on xbox". Instead of starting a bunch of studios and hoping they make hits, they just bought one that had a bunch of hits already.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #104

Quote:
The payoff will be 40 million people paying $10-15 a month every month for years on end

I can see them doing non exclusive for select titles. They are doing that with Minecraft

But this was their way of addressing "no good exclusives on xbox". Instead of starting a bunch of studios and hoping they make hits, they just bought one that had a bunch of hits already.
This is already going to boost their game pass subscriptions by a shit load. The fact remains Sony will still most likely outsell Xbox this generation and that's a lot of revenue to abandon on games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls that are proven to sell well.

XBoxs own Phil Spencer,

“I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience [exclusive] games”, he told GamesIndustry earlier this year. “Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device.”

Now he could be totally full of shit because they never had games lots of people wanted until now, but it gives a bit of insight in his thought process.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #105

If Netflix has an exclusive, they miss out on all the HBO subscribers

If Sony has an exclusive, they miss out on the XBOX and PC owners

I'm not sure what you're arguing here... Exclusives make the platform more desirable.

And remember, Microsoft's platform is Game Pass now, not necessarily the XBOX itself. It includes PC and cloud gaming as well. The goal isn't for the XBOX to outsell PS5, it's to get millions of people to play their games on whatever platform they want. They want PS5 owners to also get Game Pass. So they will likely have some games on Sony's platform, but not huge titles like Doom, etc.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #106

My argument is we don't know what Xbox is going to do yet you're acting like I'm stupid for even thinking it's possible that they might still sell these games on another platform at some point.

Game Pass is what they see selling. They could say "Hey for 15 bucks a month you can play the new Fallout and Doom on DAY ONE, or you could wait and play in somewhere else next year."

It's not insane to think they'll want to steal some gamers right away as well as make money off the ones that won't leave PlayStation as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
My argument is we don't know what Xbox is going to do yet you're acting like I'm stupid for even thinking it's possible that they might still sell these games on another platform at some point.

Game Pass is what they see selling. They could say "Hey for 15 bucks a month you can play the new Fallout and Doom on DAY ONE, or you could wait and play in somewhere else next year."

It's not insane to think they'll want to steal some gamers right away as well as make money off the ones that won't leave PlayStation as well.
I'm not calling you stupid or acting like you're stupid. I'm just disagreeing that MS would pay $7.5 billion for one of the biggest publishers to NOT use their huge titles exclusively.

I am just wondering what gives you the idea that they wouldn't. I don't think you're stupid, I just wonder why you think that.

There is only ONE reason for exclusive titles to exist, and that's to make the platform it's exclusive to more desirable. It's not to "sell as many copies as possible"
Old 09-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #108

Quote:
I'm not calling you stupid or acting like you're stupid. I'm just disagreeing that MS would pay $7.5 billion for one of the biggest publishers to NOT use their huge titles exclusively.

I am just wondering what gives you the idea that they wouldn't. I don't think you're stupid, I just wonder why you think that.
I think they'll do what makes the most business sense. It sounds great to say that they'll make everything exclusive and everyone will flock to Xbox and rake in the cash. I think they'd make more money by making them timed exclusives at least in the immediate future. If Game Pass turns into some juggernaut that gamers can't live without then they could twist the knife a bit.
I'm sure even MS has it's limits on what they want to invest in Xbox and if this 7.5 billion doesn't get them the subscriptions they are looking for then they'll want to get that revenue from somewhere.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #109
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I don't know what games pass is but it sounds like subscription gaming? Thru an app (cloud gaming)? Or is it console dependant? If it doesn't depend on the console couldnt they offer it on the playstation too?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #110

It's a subscription that currently is for XBOX and Windows, but will be on cloud soon, so anywhere really.

All first party titles are available day 1. So that would include games like Halo and Gears. And new Elder Scrolls, Doom, Quake, etc. There are tons of 3rd party games as well, and they have added EA Access, so it'll include all their games as well. I have enjoyed SO many games I otherwise would have ignored, all for $5 per month
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #111
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
There are a few Sony exclusives I'd like to play still... Spiderman, God of War... That's about it actually. Maybe FF7 Remake but I think that's coming to PC anyway
dont sleep on Ghost of Tsushima

was skeptical of the east asian period made by an American studio (sly cooper/infamous) but might just be my favourite ps4 piece
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
dont sleep on Ghost of Tsushima

was skeptical of the east asian period made by an American studio (sly cooper/infamous) but might just be my favourite ps4 piece
Yeah that's another one I was pretty interested in, although I heard it gets pretty repetitive and boring.

BTW don't sleep on westerners doing tribute to Asian stuff these days; if devoted and researched enough, they can do just as good of a job. In fact the ability to be ignorant of certain biases could make it even more accurate at times.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #113

Seems like the series X is quite popular too, soldout almost everywhere

BestBuy n ebgames still show it as available but when u try to checkout their page crashes

The series S seems to be plentiful tho
Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #114
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Managed to preorder an Xbox Series X from MS store
BlackV62K2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #115
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
if u r serious about getting one on launch day i have 2 disc versions preordered from different places. u can have one of them at cost.
PM 'd !

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
Managed to preorder an Xbox Series X from MS store
what a shit show. my cousin was able to get one from the MS store

best buy has been a joke

edit: my wife was able to get me one

Last edited by blkgsr; 09-22-2020 at 10:31 AM.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #117
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Hmm this Bethesda thing makes it an even harder choice..
Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #118

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
^Maybe they'll finally get back to making good games... Looking at you Fallout 76, what a joke.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #119

Which Fallout was considered good? I played Fallout 4 and recall it feeling like a grind just to finish the campaign. Not my type of game perhaps
This post thanked by:
Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Which Fallout was considered good? I played Fallout 4 and recall it feeling like a grind just to finish the campaign. Not my type of game perhaps
Fallout 2

Was able to get a series X from thesource everywhere else was just crashing constantly
Old 09-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #121
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
I thought 3/New Vegas and 4 were all great games. I thought with 4 they had finally dialed in the open world concept and perhaps with the next instalment they would go back to more RPG elements. But then then released 76 which was fucking brutallllll so I don’t have much faith in then reviving the franchise
Old 09-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #122

Now that MS owns both Obsidian and Bethesda, we could see a Fallout New Vegas 2
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #123

The best Fallout is 2, by a long shot, was made by Black Isle, which I believe is now Obsidian.

Fallout 1 was great as well, heck I even liked Fallout Tactics at the time.

Fallout 3 was alright, New Vegas was definitely the best of the first person iterations of the game.

Fallout 4 was the first Fallout game in which I stopped playing and didn't bother finishing after about 10ish hours in. Not sure why but it didn't captivate me, Boston didn't feel like "Fallout" to me, and the base building seemed silly. The game felt way too much of a first person shooter, and not the RPG I fell in love with as a teenager.

Really wish they'd go back to isometric turn-based, but alas, I'm an old fart I guess.

As Skinny said, with Microsoft owning Obsidian and Bethesda now, my dreams of a good Fallout is definitely possible now.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #124

Fuck I'm having a dilemma here, I've always owned a PS, now I'm wondering with this Bethesda purchase if I should go XBOX?

My buddy's don't play video games that much, and I never play online, as I prefer single player games, so multiplayer is irrelevant for me.

Is this the time to jump ship from Sony, and grab the new XBOX instead? I can't say I really played many PS exclusives outside of Rockstar games releases (GTA/RDR).

Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #125

If you're not into any of PlayStations exclusives I'd definitely get an XBox. Any Rockstar game will come to both systems (unless Microsoft decides to buy them too in which case I'd probably jump ship as well lol.)

The only reason to get a PS is for the exclusives, otherwise XBox has a way better deal with Game Pass, a more powerful system, and it's actually a bit cheaper on top of it all.
This post thanked by: