REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #6576
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You go to where the fight is and not wait for the fight to come to your front door. Also that PPE was about to expire.
Yes, but do you send everything you've got to the frontline while leaving nothing at home or make sure you'd have enough if shit hits the fans.

JT clearly didn't take it seriously. Even after SARS hit Canada as well. I'd think if he took another few days for his panel of experts to come up with simulation models and make a safe estimate for supplies.

In those worst few weeks, we were basically hunting down anything we could... and it still wasn't enough. All we did was to compromise the safety of our health professionals by making them wear PPE beyond their recommended time as a way to ration the supply.

You can continue to be that lefty saint all you want, but try selling that idea to those frontline heroes/heroines who risked their own life trying to keep everything under control.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #6577
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
So you're saying you'd prefer the China model, where they tell everyone to just go fuck themselves. Me, Me, Me, Mentality. We need less of that in the world, not more.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #6578
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Yes, but do you send everything you've got to the frontline while leaving nothing at home or make sure you'd have enough if shit hits the fans.

JT clearly didn't take it seriously. Even after SARS hit Canada as well. I'd think if he took another few days for his panel of experts to come up with simulation models and make a safe estimate for supplies.

In those worst few weeks, we were basically hunting down anything we could... and it still wasn't enough. All we did was to compromise the safety of our health professionals by making them wear PPE beyond their recommended time as a way to ration the supply.

You can continue to be that lefty saint all you want, but try selling that idea to those frontline heroes/heroines who risked their own life trying to keep everything under control.
The stuff was about to expire and we did not send everything. Just imagine if we had stopped it in China.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #6579
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
So you're saying you'd prefer the China model, where they tell everyone to just go fuck themselves. Me, Me, Me, Mentality. We need less of that in the world, not more.
Yea love just bending over backwards for everyone else while neglecting our own countrymen
Old 10-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #6580

Dunno if this has been posted but finally some sanity from literally the top doctors in the field:

https://gbdeclaration.org
Old 10-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #6581
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
What I got from that sounded like the 21 year old college kids in Florida for spring break going “if I die I die, corona ain’t gonna stop me from partyin’ “. In fancier words it just said I should live my live normally and let myself get sick. Not sure I agree with that
Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #6582
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If someone wants to risk it, I get it. The issue is that those people that risk it, make those who don’t want to have to risk it as well. Individual rights and freedoms only apply when it doesn’t infringe upon the rights of others.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #6583

Whether you agree with it or not it’s the opinions of the top experts in the field from the best schools in the world. But we’ve swayed so much into insanity that the opinions of people like this are resulting in death threats to them etc.

Covid is the peanut allergy in schools times a billion. You can’t even leave your home because someone else’s 95 year old grandmother might catch it?
Old 10-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #6584

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If someone wants to risk it, I get it. The issue is that those people that risk it, make those who don’t want to have to risk it as well. Individual rights and freedoms only apply when it doesn’t infringe upon the rights of others.
Release the detailed statistics.

Also, and this is a 100% serious question, have any of the hospitals in the country actually been “over run” with covid to the point of capacity + +? (And yes I understand that regardless of whether or not a hospital is overrun or not, the fact they have to brace for covid cases results in delays in other services, X-ray, surgery, etc.)

Quebec has been banging out thousands of cases a day for months and their hospitals are not. So if you have 300 cases a day with 50 people in hospital province wide there should be zero discussion about additional “lock downs” imo. And Bonnie Henry even seems to echo those sentiments as she said a few days ago she does not foresee further lockdowns.

I agree with you that if you’re some dickhead that is riding the sky train without a mask and making a big deal about the virus being a hoax etc. Then sure, you might be infringing on the rights abs safety of others.

But if you’re a responsible, healthy, adult, you should be able to make the decision yourself as to whether your business remains open, whether you can travel, who you come into contact with, etc. If you are a responsible person and you are vulnerable or imuno compromised then it is on you and your family to deal with the circumstances. Frankly it’s not the general public’s requirement, nor is it in their best interest to be going out of their way to protect an incredibly small portion of the population.

And before we circle back to “the long term health effects” what doesn’t have long term health effects? We allow people to smoke, to be over prescribed opioids (which is frankly a far bigger health crisis by the numbers than covid)promote and live incredibly unhealthy lifestyles, etc etc. I think the people who suffer long term health effects from covid infections is a drop in the bucket compared to the general issues the healthcare system deals with before and after this pandemic.

Kinda weird how “outbreaks” only happen in care facilities and not high rises that have 10-50 times the amount of residents with virtually zero protocols for cleaning and sanitation comparably.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 10-31-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #6585

The reason hospitals haven’t been over run is because there has been mitigation in place. That’s not going to happen if they just let shit fly. Look at what happened in Italy? Where nurses and doctors selected who would have a chance to live or just let die based on age and likelihood of survival. You don’t have to look very hard to see that it’s happened.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #6586

Also you think people are responsible? Look at how fucking stupid people have acted throughout this whole thing! People saying a mask infringes on their body autonomy and calling it a hoax to influence an election or instil communism.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #6587

Well yea, that’s the issue people are idiots.

I’m actually trying to have constructive discussion with my points above I’m honestly not trying to just be some contrarian. But yes I agree that people in general are too dumb to be trusted to do the right thing.

I wear my mask seemingly more than a lot of people. I’m always out in public due to my job and I do my best to be courteous and safe for the sake of others regardless of my thoughts because it’s not a big ask to wear a mask to continue to enjoy things outside my home.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #6588

Totally. And that’s why we can’t leave them to fend for themselves and make the right decisions.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #6589

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I agree with what you say Honda, and your link. The thing that stands out to me is the fact herd immunity is key. It seems there are many who suspect antibodies leave the body so quickly this isn’t even possible?

I still stay by my very first opinion when this shit all started. Live your life but be smart. Follow the direction of our experts. Overreacting can have a much bigger impact then the effects of the virus.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #6590
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Dunno if this has been posted but finally some sanity from literally the top doctors in the field:

https://gbdeclaration.org
gbd has already been debunked and revealed that it was setup by a right wing think tank

It's like when the Fraser institute comes out with a report saying we're going to hell and should become more like the usa
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #6591

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:

Covid is the peanut allergy in schools times a billion. You can’t even leave your home because someone else’s 95 year old grandmother might catch it?
Old 10-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #6592

Imagine being the person who believes their right to not wait 3 hours to get home to eat their peanut butter cookie outweighs someone else’s right to live? If we are using analogies and all.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #6593

I will admit, not a great analogy
Old 10-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #6594

I get where you’re going though. People can’t give up their entire livelihoods to keep people safe.
I run a restaurant. I’m one of the people who has the potential to be the most financially affected by this, so I don’t want rolling shutdowns, reduced capacity, etc.
People need to understand that giving up conveniences and some of their lifestyle though is required by EVERYONE, to get through this with the least possible damage to the economy and people’s lives. Anti maskers and people who can’t give up partying for a few months are the issue, and until they are punished whether it be by the government in the form of laws and fines/punishments, or by society, this will just keep getting worse as it drags.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #6595
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
First France and Germany, now England going on full lockdown for a month

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #6596

Fuck all those restrictions and they could have just avoided the whole thing if they went on RS and read DR. Hehes guidelines for virus mitigation.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #6597

Lol...Really interesting to look up some of the population densities in these places

England has 55 million people in 130,000 square kms

Comparatively BC has 5 million people in 950,000kms.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #6598

That doesn’t paint a very accurate picture though. No question though even our cities are less densely populated, but need to consider how much of that 950000 sq/kms basically has no one living in it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #6599
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Lol...Really interesting to look up some of the population densities in these places

England has 55 million people in 130,000 square kms

Comparatively BC has 5 million people in 950,000kms.
Yeah and half of those 5 million live within 2800 km

90% live within 3 densely populated spots (GVRD, Victoria, Okanagan)

And Taiwan has 24 million in 36,000 square km

Sparse population is a thing, but not everything.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #6600

Canada doesn’t have anything close to a city like London though. Even Toronto only has 2.3 million while London is pushing 9+