REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #9076
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Was 6% of Canadians yesterday as per the radio and only 65% of people over 75

We are last in the G7 in basically every vaccine related statistic.

We're actually not. As much as it may feel like we're slow in a vacuum, in comparison with the States that we hear a lot about. We're not too far off the rest of the G7 nations right now. And the crown winner of slowest rollout goes to Japan. They just approved the vaccines, and only 1(2?) I believe weeks ago when everyone was already getting shots in arms.

Here's a fun tidbit, some (not insignificant) part of the Japanese population think they have special genes/DNA different from the literally every other human in the worlds population. And therefore with this culture, a stupid amount of resistance and scrutiny is placed on vaccines in general. Add to that the slow as molasses bureaucracy (seriously, its like going back to the 1980s) and you have the slowest rollout. And to think, the vaccines arrived in perfect time for the Olympics. If they had played their cards right and gotten first in line and set up mass vaccination at 100% speed, Japan could have been the shining beacon of 2021, fully vaccinating their population and welcoming the world to mark the end of Covid-19 for the Summer Olympics but no we got this atrocity. Ok. I'll stop there as that's a discussion better suited elsewhere. /endrant
Advertisement
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #9077
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
And the Japanese Olympic committee just went ahead and banned foreign visitors/ticket holders from attending the Olympic, seemingly based on public opinion.

This Olympic Games could be a devastating boon to the country
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #9078
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Japanese people are in general more anti-vaxx than Americans. It's pretty whacky

I was looking at a Korean newspaper the other day, and practically every story was an anti-vax story. Stories that exaggerated symptoms, only talked about deaths (no causation), etc. I'm not sure if that reflects public opinion, but it was quite shocking to see. These aren't Op/Ed articles, but actual news stories.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #9079
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
cant call it 3rd wave when we never left 2nd

for once i actually dont blame tam/henry..the restrictions going past 4-6 months was not feasible and now the bet is on warmer weather/vaccines
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #9080
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post

Here's a fun tidbit, some (not insignificant) part of the Japanese population think they have special genes/DNA different from the literally every other human in the worlds population. And therefore with this culture, a stupid amount of resistance and scrutiny is placed on vaccines in general. Add to that the slow as molasses bureaucracy (seriously, its like going back to the 1980s) and you have the slowest rollout. And to think, the vaccines arrived in perfect time for the Olympics. If they had played their cards right and gotten first in line and set up mass vaccination at 100% speed, Japan could have been the shining beacon of 2021, fully vaccinating their population and welcoming the world to mark the end of Covid-19 for the Summer Olympics but no we got this atrocity. Ok. I'll stop there as that's a discussion better suited elsewhere. /endrant
Can confirm, I have 3 friends who were born in Japan and grew up there/currently live there and in the last few weeks talking to them in chat here and there the topic of vaccines came up and all 3 are totally opposed to it and said it’s not necessary for “true” Japanese but couldn’t really elaborate when I pressed at what that exactly means? I didn’t push too hard because I don’t want to burn bridges or ruin friendships over it but doesn’t bode well for their society which is already pretty xenophobic and isolated in general being an island and feeling like they have no friends around them with an aggressive China and North Korean threats always looming besides the obvious earthquake risks.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #9081
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
We’re letting the world go first. How polite and oh so Canadian of us.
I'd take this with a small grain of salt since the story is coming from the former GSK Canada CEO, but according to him:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-15

Quote:
“Trudeau has badly botched Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine procurement,”

“First, he blamed Harper for his own failings. Then he blamed Mulroney and then he blamed the provinces. Then he actually turned on his own vaccine task force. He blamed them for about a day or two. Then he blamed the companies — Pfizer for delaying the delivery of its vaccines in January,”

Canada is at the back of the line in the industrialized world and is even behind some developing countries because Trudeau’s government signed a deal with CanSino Biologics and the Chinese military to develop a COVID-19 vaccine in partnership with the Canadian Centre for Vaccinology at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Given the toxic state of Canada-China relations and the propensity of China to steal intellectual property and break deals, it was a bizarre partnership.

On May 16, 2020, Trudeau announced that the federal department of health had entered into a deal with CanSino. According to documents obtained by Calgary Conservative MP and Opposition Health Critic Michelle Rempel Garner, three days later the government learned the deal fell apart.

Despite knowing on May 19 that China was breaking its deal with Canada, the Trudeau government waited until the end of August to enter into vaccine contracts with Pfizer, far behind other countries. On July 16, Trudeau pretended that the partnership with China was still a go.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #9082

^ i referenced this interview in the politics thread. Pretty telling.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #9083
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Doesn’t surprise me that Trudeau blames everyone but himself
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #9084
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
whenever i heard about stuff like this about him i just remember his opponents' campaign

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #9085

dug a little deeper to clue in as why we're sucha train wreck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...ency_of_Canada

our public health branch is less than 20 years old (created from SARS aftermath), has an AWFUL track record of vacancy/resignations of leadership, heavy reliance on china and who

they're also responsible for natural disasters...god help us if the big one happens this lifetime
Old 03-21-2021, 11:56 PM   #9086
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
The attempted crackdown comes as Florida has thrown open its doors to tourists after a year of coronavirus lockdowns and restrictions around the country. Gov. Ron DeSantis has bragged that the state is an "oasis of freedom" during the pandemic -- and the stir-crazy are flocking to the state's restriction-free beaches and nightlife.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....vid/index.html

Florida really is the overflowing sewage dumpster of wasted human life in America..
Old 03-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #9087
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Just got home from first injection. Took about 15 minutes from arriving, plus they make you wait 15 minutes under observation. Place was practically empty. Practically everyone we know isn't getting theirs... They aren't anti-vaxx, but they want to "wait and see" or simply "don't trust the HKSAR government" (some won't even use the masks they provide). I'll be pretty annoyed if this govt put together this amazingly effective and efficient system, only for people to neglect it, causing us to have to fuck with covid longer than we have to, or even cause another wave.

TBH I felt pretty shitty right away.. Pretty light headed an hour later... But it could just be anxiety just from looking for symptoms

My wife has a sore arm (all the way down to her fingers) from the injection after an hour, but nothing other than that

Edit: My symptoms are gone, feel totally normal now. Wife's arm is getting more sore, and now her leg a bit too But nothing too bad
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #9088
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
hongers like to diu 7 everything

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #9089

Adrian Dix was just on CKNW

Essentially said if you’re part of the “essential work force” roll out you’ll be getting astra Zeneca. However, if you wanted to wait and turn down the workforce based vaccine and go based on the age brackets, then you’ll get Pfizer or Moderna..
Old 03-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #9090
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Worth noting that AstraZeneca has a 79% efficacy rate of preventing symptomatic infection and a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT efficacy rate of preventing severe symptoms or death.
Not sure why everyone is like “mE nO WaNt AsTerOid VaCcIne”
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #9091

Well I think the fact that he even laid out that option has the possibility to creating delays in the vaccination program
Old 03-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #9092

They will redistribute as necessary I’m sure. Vaccine rollout seems like there’s kinks for sure, but to be honest as long as they aren’t sitting on a stockpile it doesn’t really matter. For us, who are basically last in line it’s not gonna change things for us, and if someone chooses to wait for the vaccine they like, it’s their problem that’s gonna just delay their lives from going back to normal sooner. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #9093

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i got mine few days ago...moderna

never taken a flu shot in years, felt like my arm was punched & bruised laying on it on the next day, I'm a side sleeper.

Tired af like an old man with a headache, i tried eating a ton of food cause it felt like i lacked fuel to burn with a strong lazy feeling, i couldn't even sit at the desk without wanting to lay down, what i did later & passed out.

the side effects its your body ramping up the antibodies preparing for a battle ASAP they say... so your immune system is completely ramping up causing all this, possible inflammation too.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 03-22-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #9094

Does that record card actually have your information on the back or is it just that generic card?
Old 03-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #9095

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Does that record card actually have your information on the back or is it just that generic card?
has all my info on the other side including name.

"date given"

product name:

lot#

provider or clinic

then one half has dose #2 blank. my timeline they gave for 2nd shot was 4 months.

early reports say after two weeks you are 86% protected from covid 19 with moderna with one dose, so i think they are very limited supply getting them out to more people than worrying about 2 doses for 95%

Any Sort of protection is better than none at all is their mindset why i think it's not a rush to get 2nd dose, i was concerned but know that i know its quite high up there its fine with me..
im feeling 100% on third day for sure, so 24 to 72 hours feeling off is right by them.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 03-24-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #9096
I STILL don't get it

I found this video from VOX to be very useful in explaining why there are different efficacy rates for the vaccins:

TLDW:
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held in USA only (covid variants were low during this time)
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held during the summer when case counts were low.

• AZ and J&J vaccines held trials in USA, South Africa, and Brazil where covid variants emerged
• AZ and J&J vaccines trials were held later (fall & winter 2020) where case rates were tripled compared to summer 2020
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #9097
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Hmm, wondering if I have to now book a couple days off to get the vaccine to recover from the side effects.

Got the flu shot in October, felt nothing but a slightly sore arm for a week.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #9098

if you got too many vacation days to burn i'd save them more for the 2nd shot, not the 1st
Old 03-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #9099

That’s what sick days are for bros
Old 03-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #9100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
I found this video from VOX to be very useful in explaining why there are different efficacy rates for the vaccins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A

TLDW:
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held in USA only (covid variants were low during this time)
• Moderna and Pfizer trials were held during the summer when case counts were low.

• AZ and J&J vaccines held trials in USA, South Africa, and Brazil where covid variants emerged
• AZ and J&J vaccines trials were held later (fall & winter 2020) where case rates were tripled compared to summer 2020
Excellent watch. Everyone who tries to "hold out" for their favourite vaccine should be forced to watch it to make an informed decision.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: