REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #7826
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
From what I’ve read it prevents serious cases.

It also closes that gap of the 99.4% death rate in that its adding that 94% efficacy rate into the remaining .6 which exists in normal cases.

I know people here get triggered in seemingly any questioning of the vaccine, however I find it kind of funny that the complete opposite is true in that people are completely willing, and in fact, begging to be injected with somthing they haven’t the slightest clue as to what it actually does.

Edit* I also think there is a very important conversation that has not, and is not happening and that is asymptomatic transmission within these care homes. What? Are people bringing it in on their shoes?
Advertisement

Last edited by Hondaracer; 12-14-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #7827
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
It will be real interesting to see what happens when the elderly in long term care homes start getting their second dose 3 weeks after the first in a large scale. Hopefully good news
Old 12-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #7828
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
I thought a vaccine was just a weakened form of the virus? Your body still has to fight it off, but the symptoms are mild and the benefit is that you end up with antibodies that can effectively combat future exposures to the virus. A vaccine isn’t designed to prevent transmission of the virus though... that’s what washing your hands, not touching your face, etc. does.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #7829
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
^ ... not this vaccine. That's the traditional way but this vaccine uses mRNA.

How mRNA works
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ines/mrna.html
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #7830

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ ... not this vaccine. That's the traditional way but this vaccine uses mRNA.

How mRNA works
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ines/mrna.html
Cool, thanks for the link; interesting stuff! Based on the article, this vaccine gives your body instructions on how to build a harmless version of the virus that your body subsequently learns to fight off. Again, there’s nothing there that addresses the prevention of transmission though.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:22 AM   #7831

Vaccines in a way create herd immunity breaking the chain of transmission.

So before vaccine, let's say you get the virus and then you infect 3 people. The 3 infects 9 .... 9 infects 27 ...and so on. Because you took the vaccine, you prevented multiple others from getting it.

Last edited by whitev70r; 12-15-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #7832
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
The mutated version of covid in the UK has mutation to the Spike protein (what the mRNA vaccine uses) theyre saying the mutation to the spike protein may be what's allowing this new strain to spread even faster, though they don't think it's effected the severity of covid itself

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...-say-1.5231639

So if the spike has changed, does that mean the vaccines effectiveness is waned
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #7833

^ nobody knows, as the phrase goes, 'building the airplane while you're in the air'.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #7834
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So relatively strict measures for more than a month now, yet the deaths going up more per day than ever.

And we’re still not addressing where all the deaths are happening, well done.
That is not a huge surprise since deaths lag cases by several weeks. See https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...es-and-deaths/

Quote:
seems like kind of an important thing to deduct from a 44,000 person test group no?

to circle back around on the discussion on previous pages, the test groups for the vaccine were more than enough to convince people its safe, but it wasn't adequate to determine the efficacy in preventing transmission?
You are still hung up about the test population huh?

Quote:
From what I’ve read it prevents serious cases.

It also closes that gap of the 99.4% death rate in that its adding that 94% efficacy rate into the remaining .6 which exists in normal cases.

I know people here get triggered in seemingly any questioning of the vaccine, however I find it kind of funny that the complete opposite is true in that people are completely willing, and in fact, begging to be injected with somthing they haven’t the slightest clue as to what it actually does.
What it does is prevent you from getting COVID-19 symptoms and improve mortality and morbidity. I think everyone knows that.

Quote:
Edit* I also think there is a very important conversation that has not, and is not happening and that is asymptomatic transmission within these care homes. What? Are people bringing it in on their shoes?

Asymptomatic individuals still produce aerosol when they breath and talk. Aerosol that can carry the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Cool, thanks for the link; interesting stuff! Based on the article, this vaccine gives your body instructions on how to build a harmless version of the virus that your body subsequently learns to fight off. Again, there’s nothing there that addresses the prevention of transmission though.

I mean if you have reduced symptoms, you are less likely to generate and spread aerosol that could infect others.
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #7835
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
Initial results indicate possible sterilizing immunity from Moderna's Vaccine:

Quote:
Moderna’s analysis, posted by the FDA, also included new data suggesting that the first dose of its vaccine can reduce infections that don’t cause symptoms. If this finding holds up in further analysis—including after the second of the two-dose regimen—it could mean that the vaccine not only protects individuals from disease, but also curbs transmission of the virus from person to person.

A vaccine that prevents asymptomatic infections and curbs viral transmission could hasten the end of the coronavirus pandemic, if enough people get vaccinated.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/moderna...on-11608028201

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #7836

on the same day that Horgan comes out and says they will do everything within their power to punish anyone not following the rules and having family gatherings at christmas, bonny henry loosens restrictions and is allowing some yoga and fitness classes to resume.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #7837
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
on the same day that Horgan comes out and says they will do everything within their power to punish anyone not following the rules and having family gatherings at christmas, bonny henry loosens restrictions and is allowing some yoga and fitness classes to resume.
I believe data (as least from some sources) have shown that the vast majority of transmission is from household and social gathering and not from gyms or restaurant. It makes sense to target activities and settings in which transmission occur.
stylez2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #7838
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
on the same day that Horgan comes out and says they will do everything within their power to punish anyone not following the rules and having family gatherings at christmas,
So the province will issue eight tickets instead of the usual 4 per week?!

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #7839
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I heard Quebec is gonna have a full lock down after Christmas for 2 weeks wonder how that's gonna play out with Lee french people
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #7840
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez2k4 View Post
I believe data (as least from some sources) have shown that the vast majority of transmission is from household and social gathering and not from gyms or restaurant. It makes sense to target activities and settings in which transmission occur.
Well of course, when 1 brown person gets infected the whole house of 20 also gets infected....
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #7841
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:

This might spark some fear in peoples mind if those responsible for handing out tickets actually did their job. Church of a 150 people - church gets a 2300$ fee. Everyone chip in 20$ and we'll be here same time next week.
Anti mask protest - police are there to educate and inform instead of giving out tickets. Cops show up to a party of 30 people? 1 person gets a fine... again, everyone throw in 50$ and lets make this party worth it.

In a province of 5 million people, what's the percentage of people you think will still end up going to visit their parents on Christmas day and will actually be given a ticket?

What the province should be telling people is that they know damn well people will be breaking these rules they've put in place so instead of attempting to issue 50000 tickets on Christmas day and clogging courts from every disputed ticket, just tell people to be as absolute safe as possible.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #7842
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
What the province should be telling people is that they know damn well people will be breaking these rules they've put in place so instead of attempting to issue 50000 tickets on Christmas day and clogging courts from every disputed ticket, just tell people to be as absolute safe as possible.
This.

Trying to stop people on Christmas is as impossible as it sounds. May as well just roll with it and inform people on what to do when(not if, when) they visit.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #7843

Yup. A little education instead of leading by fear would go a long way. Instead of "You are the cause of people dying and we will punish you" maybe they could try "If you must gather at Christmas, keep your groups to your immediate family bubble and here is the precautions to take to be safe"

Some of you keep saying restaurants and home depot are safe because they have precautions in place. The government has provided those businesses with specific instructions on how to implement those precautions. Normal citiizens haven't ever had an outline on how to be safe in their own homes other than washing your hands and not picking your nose, just pure fear and empty threats.

The problem with ruling by fear, is after 10 months, people get tired of hearing the same thing without seeing the actual thing to be afraid of. And the more you push, the more push back there is. Leading by positivity and guiding people on how to live safely and healthy is always the path to real meaningful improvement and compliance.

Tell people to keep their visit short and keep space between you and wear a mask if possible and don't share food and wash your hands. Most people will follow those guidelines, and the ones that wont follow them, are probably getting together against the rules anyway.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #7844
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Horgan is announcing tougher enforcement of provincial health orders.

No nonsense from the Premier.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12...9-enforcement/

There are those who are not prepared to bend a little bit in their personal lives to the benefit of all of us collectively,” he said. “We’re going to ask you to be working with law enforcement to ensure that our public health orders are in place, and being acted upon. That means holding rule breakers accountable.”

If you do not pay the fines, we will send collections after you. This is serious. This is not a lark. This is not something we do lightly,” Horgan said.

I want you to have a great holiday season, but I also want you to be safe,” Horgan said. “I want you to recognize and understand that your actions could not just save your family members but it could save other people’s family members as well. It’s not too much to ask
Old 12-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #7845
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
The churches racking up fines be like, here’s our mailing addess..

It’s too bad Horgan is this NDP die hard because I kind of like him as a leader otherwise lol
Old 12-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #7846
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I bet they will still do Jack shit cuz vpd don't want to escalate the situation and give tickets during Christmas, but Vis are still serious business.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #7847

the 'organizer' of a smallish anti-mask protest outside in downtown Kelowna got a $2300 fine last weekend. No cases reported from the protest. Same day, 60!! big white workers test positive, all stemming from 2 parties at worker housing. Covid inspectors say Big White is following all covid precautions.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #7848

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
I don't doubt that Horgan is going to put tougher enforcement measures in place for the provincial health orders.

-getting tired of reading news about these fuckers partying with 10, 12, 15 etc. of their friends in their condos.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #7849

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
the 'organizer' of a smallish anti-mask protest outside in downtown Kelowna got a $2300 fine last weekend. No cases reported from the protest. Same day, 60!! big white workers test positive, all stemming from 2 parties at worker housing. Covid inspectors say Big White is following all covid precautions.
I asked someone I know who’s currently working up at big white (Has his own place thankfully) but he says most of that is the workers who live 10-12 people in a single dwelling (like snow bunnies at whistler). Not necessarily parties but non-related people/seasonal workers in tight living spaces and not being safe. Just what he said so don’t bite my head off if it’s wrong
Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #7850

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
This.

Trying to stop people on Christmas is as impossible as it sounds. May as well just roll with it and inform people on what to do when(not if, when) they visit.
Meh, I mean all my family and my wife's family cancelled dinners we're all just doing dinners within our bubbles it's doable if your willing.

That said I think it's pretty optimistic to expect that from everybody, if you're going to get together at least try and keep it somewhat small and manageable.

For the people that are still getting together with all their family, brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, cousins aunts, uncles ect. all in the same house I think those people are the ones that are going to be the problem.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote