REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #8176
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
This is why it is even more infuriating, again, no fines or arrests. Vancouver art gallery is like ... do whatever the f*ck you want zone! I'll give you one guess to, who sang the National anthem ?!

Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #8177
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
kind of off topic, but maybe on topic.

How many of you are parents and are considering pulling kids out of school for the first 2 weeks. So sending them back on Jan 18th instead of Jan 4th.

Since it takes up to 14 days for the symptoms to show up, wife and I are worried that we wont see the result of the chaotic holiday gatherings until/upto Jan 18th.

Of course I have the benefit where my wife is a full time mom that stays at home, so there are no complications to keeping them home. But what are your thoughts?
If you are at all worried about it then why risk it? Sounds like u've already come up with a pretty logical theory and since your wife is already gonna be home sounds like a no brainer to me.

Ive kept my kid out of daycare cause i 100% dont trust the other kids and their parents to be clean and safe.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #8178

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
You're leaving out a lot of important information in that over-simplified synopsis.
You're right. My apologies. Mind you, it doesn't seem doctors agree universally on much of anything regarding this virus.

I still personally think that by the end of it all, it'll be something we just have to live with while mitigating risk.
The Spanish flu killed many more people and was twice as fatal yet we never developed a vaccine for it. Life ended up moving forward, as there wasn't much choice.
And our choices are only as reasonable as our alternatives.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 01-01-2021 at 10:52 AM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #8179

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
my kids are grade 3 and kindergarten... and yes, they can be infected if exposed....
Oh I knew they could be infected. Just thought the studies had shown they couldn't transmit it.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #8180
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,725 Times in 893 Posts
Yes, it's pretty easy to see what demographic on tv or the news who isn't cooperating with this after a year. When was the last time you saw an anti mask hugging party at Aberdeen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I think you totally misunderstood what he said. I took it as the local community (like richmond, who I personally saw adopt masks OVERNIGHT back at the end of January)
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #8181
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Yes, it's pretty easy to see what demographic on tv or the news who isn't cooperating with this after a year. When was the last time you saw an anti mask hugging party at Aberdeen?
@320icar

Still think I misunderstood him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #8182
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I guess he can be both at the same time lol. Understood @punkwax
Old 01-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #8183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
It’s clear she’s just the face for communication. The people making the calls are always behind the scenes.

-Norm Franz
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #8184
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Oh I knew they could be infected. Just thought the studies had shown they couldn't transmit it.
why wouldn't they transmit it if they are infected? Do they not talk, cough and breathe the same air as adults?

My only guess as to how they may not transmit as much as adults is that they are physically shorter, so their droplets will not as easily get into other people's noses/mouths.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #8185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
why wouldn't they transmit it if they are infected? Do they not talk, cough and breathe the same air as adults?

My only guess as to how they may not transmit as much as adults is that they are physically shorter, so their droplets will not as easily get into other people's noses/mouths.
If that were the case, children would be spreading it to each other though.
I don't think they really have an answer to that question yet. Only data collected globally that show the trends.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3
-Norm Franz
Old 01-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #8186
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
For the general public maybe, but my toddler sneezed directly into my face today
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #8187
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
smaller viral load?

or kids running higher temp than us

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #8188
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
You're right. My apologies. Mind you, it doesn't seem doctors agree universally on much of anything regarding this virus.

I still personally think that by the end of it all, it'll be something we just have to live with while mitigating risk.
The Spanish flu killed many more people and was twice as fatal yet we never developed a vaccine for it. Life ended up moving forward, as there wasn't much choice.
And our choices are only as reasonable as our alternatives.
You realize that the Spanish Flu was from a century ago, right?

The issue with that is 100 years ago, people didn't realize that the Spanish Flu was caused by a virus. They sure tried to develop it but the science was no where close to what we have today.

Your comparison is essentially asking why didn't civil war era soldiers use high capacity rounds and automatic rifles when they're so much more effective.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #8189

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You realize that the Spanish Flu was from a century ago, right?

The issue with that is 100 years ago, people didn't realize that the Spanish Flu was caused by a virus. They sure tried to develop it but the science was no where close to what we have today.

Your comparison is essentially asking why didn't civil war era soldiers use high capacity rounds and automatic rifles when they're so much more effective.
So you tell me what the alternative is then.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #8190
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
The alternative is the vaccine, which we have. I mean, it’s possible that it won’t be effective enough, but that’s the path they have chosen.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #8191
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input, I have emailed the school and asked for 1 week off, so kids will start on Jan 11th instead, we will observe the covid numbers next week and reassess if I want to lengthen our winter break even longer...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #8192

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,180 Posts
The way I reason with school is this... just go... or don't go at all.

Because it doesn't matter what happens, you run into risks as soon as you send kids out.

The school my kids go to has been lucky that no cases have been reported and I think all the parents and staffs are taking as much care as they possibly can. It has been almost a year already.

And I send them to school with the expectation that they might get it and it's a risk I was willing to take vs. keeping the kids at home and seeing how that affect their developments. And the virus, generally speaking, is less dangerous (in term of symptoms) to kids. That's why I think between the possibility of getting the virus vs. the sure wreckage of kids development by keeping them home, I chose the former.

The kids need to run around. They need to social and they need to build self-confidence at this age. The alternative can be so much worse because one thing is by chance, the lack of social interaction by keeping them home is for sure.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #8193

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The alternative is the vaccine, which we have. I mean, it’s possible that it won’t be effective enough, but that’s the path they have chosen.
The vaccine is little more than a prophylaxis at this point. There's no indication it prevents infection.
This virus has apparently mutated more than 12,000 times already. It would be extremely difficult to eradicate entirely. I think more and more scientists are drawing that conclusion.
I'm not saying it won't be manageable, likely through treatment and/or vaccine. But I wouldn't count on it being eliminated. That's a pretty rare thing to achieve.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #8194
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
The vaccine is little more than a prophylaxis at this point. There's no indication it prevents infection.
This virus has apparently mutated more than 12,000 times already. It would be extremely difficult to eradicate entirely. I think more and more scientists are drawing that conclusion.
I'm not saying it won't be manageable, likely through treatment and/or vaccine. But I wouldn't count on it being eliminated. That's a pretty rare thing to achieve.
You do know that a vaccine doesn't prevent infection but just reduces its effects on you because your immune system has a playbook on how to destroy it, right?

It's more protection than it is prevention.

Do you have an understanding of how the science of any of this work? Because your posts have shown how clearly you're missing fundamental concepts and making completely inappropriate comparisons.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #8195

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You do know that a vaccine doesn't prevent infection but just reduces its effects on you because your immune system has a playbook on how to destroy it, right?

It's more protection than it is prevention.

Do you have an understanding of how the science of any of this work? Because your posts have shown how clearly you're missing fundamental concepts and making completely inappropriate comparisons.
You know if you want to point out the flaws in my comparison, or my posts, that's fine. I can agree. But there's no need to be a condescending dick when you do it.
I think I've been fairly respectful in my posts. If you actually wanted to engage in thoughtful discussion, I'd think you could try and do the same.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #8196
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
You know if you want to point out the flaws in my comparison, or my posts, that's fine. I can agree. But there's no need to be a condescending dick when you do it.
I think I've been fairly respectful in my posts. If you actually wanted to engage in thoughtful discussion, I'd think you could try and do the same.
I think people want to, but then they see you post stuff like this. Honestly I don't know what to think.. Are you trolling in that thread? Or do you actually believe that? What about other threads? Do you actually read sites like that all the time, or just when you're looking to troll?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #8197

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I think people want to, but then they see you post stuff like this. Honestly I don't know what to think.. Are you trolling in that thread? Or do you actually believe that? What about other threads? Do you actually read sites like that all the time, or just when you're looking to troll?
Yeah jeez I didn't realize it was so difficult to just show a little decency with the people you disagree with. I guess common courtesy isn't so common anymore.
And yes, that was a (obvious) joke
-Norm Franz
Old 01-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #8198
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
To be fair, that joke wasn't obvious coming from you man.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #8199
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,815 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Yeah jeez I didn't realize it was so difficult to just show a little decency with the people you disagree with. I guess common courtesy isn't so common anymore.
And yes, that was a (obvious) joke
Obviously based on your other posts over the past 4 years, it was no longer obviously a joke... So now's the time to admit it or not... Let's start over in 2021?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #8200
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
If you guys just stopped quoting him I could enjoy my ignore list in peace.