REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Badhobz 01-25-2020 04:36 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOzpt9yWkAUPo0u.jpg

Brilliant !!!!

ImportPsycho 01-25-2020 05:44 PM

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/01...ws-conference/

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2020 06:42 PM

Chinese official count of infected is up to 1975 (up 600 from yesterday). Actual number possibly 40K

Official death toll 56 (up 15 from yesterday), meaning actual number around 1100

Ocean Park and Disneyland just closed in HK. I believe movie theatres are still operating.

Xi calls this a "grave situation". Carrie Lam still refusing to do anything other than political grandstanding. Says she has to wait for factories in China to start operating before attaining masks for the public (despite there being some mask manufacturers in Hong Kong)

ilovebacon 01-25-2020 07:22 PM

Apparently there is 90k infected.. I'm not sure how reliable this source is but you can judge the video yourself.

Hondaracer 01-25-2020 07:23 PM

Lol spread the misinformation!

Problem is no one will know. Likely even the Chinese govt. is in the dark

Hehe 01-25-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8972298)
Lol spread the misinformation!

Problem is no one will know. Likely even the Chinese govt. is in the dark

They are not in the dark... it's just they don't want to run the chance of a total chaos if they release a figure say 90,000.

Rumor has it that Chinese officials "convinced" the WHO to narrowly voted down to declare this as an emergency. (because when WHO declares it, it would put the whole China-world logistic into lockdown).

But I've gotta say, if this coronavirus spreads further, the blood is on these people at WHO. Because they valued economy more than human lives. When the whole goddamn idea of WHO is to promote worldwide health.

ilovebacon 01-25-2020 07:39 PM

A friend of mine who lives in shanghai told me that everyone is scared and people are advised to stay home and not to go out.

Hondaracer 01-25-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8972299)
They are not in the dark... it's just they don't want to run the chance of a total chaos if they release a figure say 90,000.

Rumor has it that Chinese officials "convinced" the WHO to narrowly voted down to declare this as an emergency. (because when WHO declares it, it would put the whole China-world logistic into lockdown).

But I've gotta say, if this coronavirus spreads further, the blood is on these people at WHO. Because they valued economy more than human lives. When the whole goddamn idea of WHO is to promote worldwide health.

Even these days there is a chain of information that is behind the reality.

That video that’s been going around with all the excavators “building a new hospital” is some sort of propaganda or some shit..literally anyone who has ever run an excavator would know that is simply a show

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8972307)
Even these days there is a chain of information that is behind the reality.

That video that’s been going around with all the excavators “building a new hospital” is some sort of propaganda or some shit..literally anyone who has ever run an excavator would know that is simply a show

They claim they did the same thing for SARS in 2003, building the Xiaotangshan Hospital in 8 days

I made sure to find an article from that time, since most articles about this new one refer to it, but I haven't come across any pictures of the completed hospital.

The only picture I've found dated between 2004 and 2019 after an admittedly quick google, is this one which is not exactly inspiring, but if you look at the rest of the pictures, it looks like it was in use and then abandoned.

I've also seen tweets of alleged prebuilt walls being shipped into Wuhan.

I don't know how useful the hospital will be, but I don't think it's just for show

Mikoyan 01-25-2020 08:41 PM

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/24/...ancet-studies/

twitchyzero 01-25-2020 08:46 PM

reposting rumours aren't helping...please take most of the crap off youtube/twitter with skepticism

i think you'd be surprised at how efficient the Chinese are if the gov't wants to build infrastructure....city trams, dams can be built rapidly

i believe given the scale of the situation it's being handled pretty well, good to know they've learned from sars

snowball 01-25-2020 09:03 PM

The numbers are too tidy. Expecting another "15" deaths tomorrow and ~500 official infections tomorrow. If it keeps going at this "rate" no way are the numbers even close to the reality.

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8972312)
reposting rumours aren't helping...please take most of the crap off youtube/twitter with skepticism

i think you'd be surprised at how efficient the Chinese are if the gov't wants to build infrastructure....city trams, dams can be built rapidly

i believe given the scale of the situation it's being handled pretty well, good to know they've learned from sars

Unfortunately if the reproduction number is really 3.8 or around there, they acted way too late to contain it. Instead of trying to hide it and putting people who spoke about it in jail, they needed to do this stuff immediately.

They didn't really learn from SARS at all, they tried to do the same thing. Problem this time is, this virus is even worse than SARS, so they couldn't hide it for as long.

What they're doing now may prevent apocalyptic catastrophe, but it's still going to be very bad.

SARS killed 800 people and shaved 2% off China's economy. We could be in the thousands already.

Badhobz 01-25-2020 09:32 PM

world war z incoming.

StylinRed 01-25-2020 10:41 PM

Didn't Carrie lam rate this a 3rd degree emergency or something (max severity) and every shop, pharmacy, corner store, 7-11 has a bazillion boxes of masks for sale, just bought a case for like 100hkd

BIC_BAWS 01-25-2020 10:58 PM

This isn't reposting a rumor. This is a plea for help.

At around 7 mins, he admits that it's a pretty shit and poorly run country. He and his friends aren't dumb or brainwashed (re: HK thread), but what can they do? They're human against tanks (guess that analogy is re: Tianamen?)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2713ca6d74.jpg

HonestTea 01-25-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8972326)
Didn't Carrie lam rate this a 3rd degree emergency or something (max severity) and every shop, pharmacy, corner store, 7-11 has a bazillion boxes of masks for sale, just bought a case for like 100hkd

Surprised people aren't buying them and shipping them back to China

6793026 01-25-2020 11:50 PM

The hospitals are not fake that were built for SARS. They were temp. and of course, when SARS was all said and done, no one wants to deal with the mess. Who would want the SARS left over infrastructure right.

It was built for quarantine, infections and isolation control. Ventilation bare minimum was with air con and bare basics. So I doubt it would have full use afterwards.

I don't understand what people want Carrie Lam to do. She is a mofo puppet. You think she has the ability to just say "fuck u wuhan, we are going to block off SZ's border and bar all flights into HK". Now, if US & Germany and 5 other countries are banning all flights (with the blessing of World Health Org.). THEN we got something to worry about. I cannot see HK being the first city to ban anyone from China.

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2020 12:48 AM

Bro she already blocked Wuhan. People want it to be more comprehensive, since the disease is already spreading all over China

Also of course it's political, with her continuing to pursue the mask ban in times like these (BTW it is now compulsory to wear masks in public in Guangdong) and other significantly idiotic bullshit.

You and I know she's a puppet, but being a puppet also makes her THE target for any backlash against china. After all, it's not like they can vote someone else in.

Times like these perfectly show how bad things are here, and why HKers have been fighting since June.

StylinRed 01-26-2020 01:15 AM

First confirmed case for Canada, in Toronto

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2020 02:25 AM

Quoting this again:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8972142)
U also forgot about the Chinese factor, like they give a fuck

Taiwan fines coronavirus patient $10000 for 'hiding' illness

Quote:

Man fails to disclose symptoms then visits nightclub after returning from Wuhan
Self reporting is not enough. Another couple in HK tried to escape a hospital as they attempted to quarantine them.

Borders need to be closed now. Just for a couple weeks. HK first, maybe other countries can consider it later.

StylinRed 01-26-2020 02:37 AM

HK should be the first to close borders, if any place were to, since HK is basically the front lines, but I doubt they'd block all travel, no way in hell

Everyone's wearing a mask here, so I feel safe walking around without one since everyone's covered :lol

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2020 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8972343)
HK should be the first to close borders, if any place were to, since HK is basically the front lines, but I doubt they'd block all travel, no way in hell

Everyone's wearing a mask here, so I feel safe walking around without one since everyone's covered :lol

Exactly! Everyone else wears a mask, so we don't have to Kappa

Probably saw about 95% people wearing masks at malls today.

Actually hand sanitizer would be way more important than masks, but that's sold out everywhere I looked.

StylinRed 01-26-2020 02:57 AM

Yeah same here, even the malls sanitizer dispensers for the public are empty -_-

SkinnyPupp 01-26-2020 03:15 AM

Macau SAR to kick out everyone from Hubei out of the city, or arrest them and put them in quarantine.

Just to show how seriously things SHOULD and COULD be taken in Hong Kong.