REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Mr.HappySilp 01-27-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8972473)
Right, the goal is to figure out how many people are actually sick. They used that model, saying China reported about 5%. I would believe that number in a second, and in fact it is possible a huge underestimate if anything.

More estimates coming in, HKU head Gabriel Leung (who got egg on his face earlier for dumb comments) spoke about it today
https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/status/1221691687212208128

He says 25,000 cases in Wuhan, with a possible up to 43,000

Locking down Wuhan isn't going to work anymore

Each major city in China is going to have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of very sick people in the next few months.

Blocking people from Wuhan isn't nearly enough. The whole point of "two systems" is so HK can protect itself from this sort of thing. There is literally no argument against it, other than "losing face"

This may push the protests straight into chaotic riot territory

I mean when other countries US, Canada, UK aren't banning Chinese tourist HK really have no ground to outright ban all Chinese tourist unless WHG deemed is dangerous.

Y2K_o__o 01-27-2020 09:29 AM

a little off-topic but
face mask price on craigslist went 3 times more expensive
price gouging happens everywhere....

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...062346138.html

MG1 01-27-2020 11:00 AM

I’m in Bellingham right now and there’s a shitload of N95 masks at Hardware Sales. Everything from standard 3M to Moldex Organic vapor masks. Nobody seems to give a flying squirrel about masks in this part of the world. However, Harbor Freight is out of them.

I don’t care about the masks. I have a box full of the medical masks I use when I go over to visit my mother in law.

Edit: Lowe’s in Bellingham has them, too. I imagine Home Depot would, as well.

Hehe 01-27-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8972518)
I’m in Bellingham right now and there’s a shitload of N95 masks at Hardware Sales. Everything from standard 3M to Moldex Organic vapor masks. Nobody seems to give a flying squirrel about masks in this part of the world. However, Harbor Freight is out of them.

I don’t care about the masks. I have a box full of the medical masks I use when I go over to visit my mother in law.

Edit: Lowe’s in Bellingham has them, too. I imagine Home Depot would, as well.

HD is out as far as I know last week. I was grabbing a few boxes for wife as she was heading back and that's pretty much all families in China asked. But she ended up canceling the trip as the situation seemed to be deteriorating.

Mind you, I was at HD Canada before the whole thing hit the fans (01/14 to be exact, and HD in South Surrey had a surplus of these masks, got 2 boxes because in-laws were heading back for CNY and I told them better safe than sorry even though they didn't feel it was needed), and when I head back again on the 22nd, there was none left. According to the HD guy, some "asian dude" came in and cleared the shelf. Fucking scrappers. So I ended up ordering online for US store pickup as I was heading to Bellingham that night.

And I clearly remember that they had like 20+ boxes for all brands and types each. When I checked again after the news came out, they were all gone. haha

Euro7r 01-27-2020 03:35 PM

Went to London Drugs today to get some hand sanitizer for my work bag to carry around for work everyday, literally everything gone. Even the travel size packs all gone. Unbelievable....

Y2K_o__o 01-27-2020 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8972539)
HD is out as far as I know last week. I was grabbing a few boxes for wife as she was heading back and that's pretty much all families in China asked. But she ended up canceling the trip as the situation seemed to be deteriorating.

Mind you, I was at HD Canada before the whole thing hit the fans (01/14 to be exact, and HD in South Surrey had a surplus of these masks, got 2 boxes because in-laws were heading back for CNY and I told them better safe than sorry even though they didn't feel it was needed), and when I head back again on the 22nd, there was none left. According to the HD guy, some "asian dude" came in and cleared the shelf. Fucking scrappers. So I ended up ordering online for US store pickup as I was heading to Bellingham that night.

And I clearly remember that they had like 20+ boxes for all brands and types each. When I checked again after the news came out, they were all gone. haha

you mean this?

Mr.HappySilp 01-27-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8972540)
Went to London Drugs today to get some hand sanitizer for my work bag to carry around for work everyday, literally everything gone. Even the travel size packs all gone. Unbelievable....

Order on London drugs website

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2020 04:55 PM

Macau has deported 150 people from Hubei, and are trying to find the remaining 500 who haven't left yet, who they will arrest into quarantine.

Taiwan has banned all Mainland tourists, regardless of visa status

threezero 01-27-2020 05:39 PM

Chinese Media been circulated news about an individual with confirm Coronavirus in Burnaby.

Apparently they self reported having symptoms. Went to VGH for diagnosis but was send home when VGH refuse to do any testing. This person had family in china that has been confirmed with the virus.

They send themselves back to Shanghai on Jan 25th. Shanghai hospital confirmed that they were indeed infected.

This was reported by a local MP.

Haven't notice this being pick up by English Media yet. Officially this does not count as a confirmed case. The individual has identify all the places he has been to in Richmond/Burnaby.

Dunno what to say...

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8972557)
Chinese Media been circulated news about an individual with confirm Coronavirus in Burnaby.

Apparently they self reported having symptoms. Went to VGH for diagnosis but was send home when VGH refuse to do any testing. This person had family in china that has been confirmed with the virus.

They send themselves back to Shanghai on Jan 25th. Shanghai hospital confirmed that they were indeed infected.

Haven't notice this being pick up by English Media yet. Officially this does not count as a confirmed case. The individual has identify all the places he has been to in Richmond/Burnaby.

Dunno what to say...

People outside China/Asia are NOT taking this seriously enough. Every time I see it on reddit people are like "meh it's just like a bad cold we're fine"

Even people here were trying to dismiss it. Hell we had someone say SARS wasn't a big deal :seriously:

I wonder if people purposefully stop themselves from having perspective of others in bad situations, in order to just not have to worry about anything. I wonder if that's a result of a safe, peaceful life

threezero 01-27-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8972559)
People outside China/Asia are NOT taking this seriously enough. Every time I see it on reddit people are like "meh it's just like a bad cold we're fine"

I don't want to bring up the race card. But just like SARS. It seems like nobody will care until someone of non-asian ethnicity get infected.

By that time it is already too late

Manic! 01-27-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8972560)
I don't want to bring up the race card. But just like SARS. It seems like nobody will care until someone of non-asian ethnicity get infected.

By that time it is already too late

Just like AIDS. no one cared at first because it was only being spread amongst homosexuals.

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8972561)
Just like AIDS. no one cared at first because it was only being spread amongst homosexuals.

In men It's still like 90% homosexuals when you take out drug use (which is like 3%)

If anything, people were more afraid of it than they needed to be. If you weren't gay or a drug user, there was a much lower chance of getting it.

(not saying that's a bad thing at all btw)

Alpine 01-27-2020 06:11 PM

Its already here, or it will be here soon enough. Just do what you can to limit your own risk to it.

RiceIntegraRS 01-27-2020 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Dunno what to say...

This was circling on a bunch of whatsapp groups im in and alot of people are choosing not to believe it

https://www.revscene.net/forums/atta...1&d=1580181247

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2020 06:33 PM

Yeah this falls into "totally unconfirmed rumor" territory, don't pay too much mind to it

ilovebacon 01-27-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8972569)
This was circling on a bunch of whatsapp groups im in and alot of people are choosing not to believe it

https://www.revscene.net/forums/atta...1&d=1580181247

I got the same message today but in chinese...

spoon.ek9 01-27-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Dunno what to say...

This is the part of the story I have trouble believing. Local health authorities in conjunction with the hospitals they oversee, are all on high alert.

twitchyzero 01-27-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8972571)
Yeah this falls into "totally unconfirmed rumor" territory, don't pay too much mind to it

this is the infected individual doing due dillgence: diagnosis confirmed and informing the public where she's been

how's that the same thing as pulling a wildly speculated number of infected cases?

danned 01-27-2020 09:32 PM

https://i.redd.it/3fi9yuc8lbd41.jpg

SkinnyPupp 01-27-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8972598)
this is the infected individual doing due dillgence: diagnosis confirmed and informing the public where she's been

how's that the same thing as pulling a wildly speculated number of infected cases?

No, it's a forward going around whatsapp about "a Burnaby resident"

I will say that it's plausible - not that they "refused" to test for it, but that they got a false negative. So far most tests have shown to be negative and then positive. Also they have found that a throat swab often isn't enough, as the infection occurs deep in the respiratory tract.

So it's plausible, but still, don't pay too much attention to it until actually confirmed.

It's funny because just a few pages ago you went after me for "misinformation" while I posted preliminary modeling from epidemiologists in UK (later models in HKU showed similar results).

So like... what? That's not even taking into account your making jokes about killing Chinese babies. .... What are you even doing? :seriously:

SkinnyPupp 01-28-2020 12:23 AM

Press conference taking place. I'm sure there will be a writeup soon, but here are some notes:

They're going to suspend individual tourist visas for mainland people in 49 cities (says they need approval from beijing first). These tourists account for about 50% of mainland tourists to Hong Kong.

They are shutting down 6 border points, including the high speed rail and all ferries

canceling half of all flights from china

more temperature checks at ports

And they are canceling the waived fees for non residents (to take away incentive for people to come for free treatment)

ALSO today, Leisure Services have closed all public facilities. That includes sports centers, pools, beaches, gyms, museums, libraries. Also government workers can work from home if possible

ilovebacon 01-28-2020 12:33 AM

Trump is offering a hand to China, this is good news.

SiRV 01-28-2020 12:41 AM

For comparison - Flu virus between October 2019-January 2020

15-21 million infections world wide
140,000-250,000 hospitalizations
8200-20,000 deaths

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

68style 01-28-2020 01:07 AM

^ apples and oranges man

Might as well compare gun related deaths too, that’s how similar it is