REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

RiceIntegraRS 03-24-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8979612)
Anyone looking to defer mortgage or car payments a colleague at work said he was able to login to his lenders website and defer them through the online system for both rather than waiting on hold for hours etc

Sorry if it's been discussed before but is there penalties, fees or interest that needs to be paid for deferring your mortgage?

MG1 03-24-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979617)
I think the fact that it was even attempted is cause for concern.
Give it another month. could be just dipping a toe in the water.

Dip your toes and fall in?

WWII all over again? I hope not.

Instead of Internment Camps, infected camps. Martial Law. Then take away property and businesses in the name of national security.

Yeah, my father saw all that. Although he was Polynesian/Hawaiian, he had Japanese blood in him. Plus, he was a fisherman. Spying for the Japanese, they thought. Anyway.......... trying times.

CRS 03-24-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8979625)
Sorry if it's been discussed before but is there penalties, fees or interest that needs to be paid for deferring your mortgage?

Yes.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...6YxB000u8UpmgY

MG1 03-24-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979620)
I personally wouldn't be going to a Costco at this point. Mind you, I'm not sure of your alternatives where you are.
Make your trips few and far between at least, if you must.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8979436)
RS is already low on members we can't afford to lose anyone.

Wow................... this goes to show you that in difficult times, we all come together.

Virtual group hug?

Manic, I've never been touched like this before............ you actually care. You two are more alike than not. Differing points of view, but.........

World peace can be achieved.

OK, I'lll just go back to the corner now.

MG1 03-24-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8979628)

Banks rarely care about their clients, unless it brings in good PR, which leads to more profits in the end. It's in their nature. Bankers and politicians........ do not trust.

Manic! 03-24-2020 11:37 AM

I went to coastal community credit union. The bank was closed to the public. I was able to go into the area where the ATMs are. I talked to a person behind a glass door. I was not allowed in but she did take the deposit. They will be closing.

Costco had a huge line up so I just dropped off the cigarette list and will go back around 6 p.m

Digitalis 03-24-2020 11:38 AM

I'll bet liquor stores are still an "essential service"

MG1 03-24-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalis (Post 8979634)
I'll bet liquor stores are still an "essential service"

Of course, you need to drown your sorrows in something.

Better that than some home brewed, moonshine.

Hondaracer 03-24-2020 12:03 PM

There was an article posted from some Toronto journalist about how liquor stores can be as important to alcoholics are a pharmacy would be for most people. Like, serious chance of dieing if you can’t feed your addiction as sad as it is

In reference to mortgage deferrals etc. I’d say if you can it’s best not to do it because as mentioned above, banks ain’t gonna be looking to help anyone out for free. We will be paying all bills etc as per usual and paying off any credit cards as we use them. No point to get behind or complacent in your finances at these times.

subordinate 03-24-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979620)
Watching the varying responses to this virus from different countries has been very interesting.
India started with a 14 hour lockdown. Kind of get the citizens used to the idea and see how that goes.
Now 21 days. Reassess the situation afterward.
I think it's very smart.

I personally wouldn't be going to a Costco at this point. Mind you, I'm not sure of your alternatives where you are.
Make your trips few and far between at least, if you must.

The Costco's I've seen limit shoppers, constantly sanitize, etc.

And you can stock up for a good couple weeks. Costco is better than most. And buy things to get your hobbies on too!

twitchyzero 03-24-2020 12:14 PM

Italy posted almost 750 deaths in a day
at the current rate, US will overtake Italy and China for case loads (~20k new cases in the last ~36h)
WA state finally announced official shutdown technically enforceable by police/guardsmen

underscore 03-24-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979610)
Bit dramatic there.

In what way? It's projected to infect 30-70% of the population, not everyone gets serious symptoms but those that do are of no use to anyone til they recover. Countries that are spreading it out and have decent health care are hitting a ~4% fatality rate. The US does not have good healthcare so if they don't take any action and everyone gets hit at once 10% sounds like a very attainable number.

edit: updated per later posts

MG1 03-24-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8979638)
The Costco's I've seen limit shoppers, constantly sanitize, etc.

And you can stock up for a good couple weeks. Costco is better than most. And buy things to get your hobbies on too!

Also, those people who give out samples are now cleaning and handing out wipes as you go through the front doors. Keep them paid and doing something to improve the situation.

Thumbs up, Costco.

yray 03-24-2020 12:28 PM

my work is hiring and operating as it will be essential

no one calling in :lawl:

Harvey Specter 03-24-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8979641)
In what way? It's projected to infect 95% of the population, not everyone gets serious symptoms but those that do are of no use to anyone til they recover. Countries that are spreading it out and have decent health care are hitting a ~4% fatality rate. The US does not have good healthcare so if they don't take any action and everyone gets hit at once 10% sounds like a very attainable number.

I wouldn't hang on every word and number the WHO is reporting. Go back and look at the numbers they reported for the Ebola outbreak, they were way way off and anyone that challenged them during that outbreak was called a conspiracy nutjob.

UnknownJinX 03-24-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979645)
Quote:

In what way? It's projected to infect 95% of the population, not everyone gets serious symptoms but those that do are of no use to anyone til they recover. Countries that are spreading it out and have decent health care are hitting a ~4% fatality rate. The US does not have good healthcare so if they don't take any action and everyone gets hit at once 10% sounds like a very attainable number.

I wouldn't hang on every word and number the WHO is reporting. Go back and look at the numbers they reported for the Ebola outbreak, they were way way off and anyone that challenged them during that outbreak was called a conspiracy nutjob.

Agreed here. Every region is collecting numbers differently. Some are counting probable cases and adding it to the denominator(of the death rate calculations), some are not testing the sick unless they absolutely have a reason to, which decreases the denominator. Some are testing the dead, which adds to the numerator. It's all over the place, and when you add these numbers from different kinds of standards, the meaningfulness of the result is highly debatable.

Some people use Diamond Princess as an example as it's the only closed population that has 100% of the population tested, and it's found that 1.5%(10 people) of the cases died as a result. Of course, that has its own flaws such as the sample size not being large enough and the more confined nature of it makes transmission easier.

Maybe South Korea could be an indicator if their testing program keeps growing.

CivicBlues 03-24-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Ninety Five Percent? Where did you pull that number out of? I've seen projections of 30-70% but never any numbers approaching 95%, that's some nice alarmism there.

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2020 02:54 PM

40-70% is the number I've commonly seen for US by the epidemiologists I've been paying attention to.

It's still very, very high. But once you hit that 60-70% range, herd immunity starts kicking in. It's very tough to get 95%, unless we do literally nothing about it, and almost nobody dies from it.

MG1 03-24-2020 03:22 PM

If anyone is desperate for hand sanitizer. The Dollar Store across from the New West Station has some. It came in yesterday. Limit of 10. $7.50 each for 8 oz. with pump. Made in Canada, not Wuhan, guloloL.

I took pics but can’t upload atm. Whole end cap full. Probably enough to last till tomorrow is my guess. They have more in the back. If “The Dollar Store” is a chain, then those locations might also have it.

I only purchased one bottle. Not 100% sure it is effective or not. 66% alcohol. And it says on the bottle, (Kills 99.9% of germs). It could be snake oil. Anyway.

underscore 03-24-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8979645)

I've been pulling info from this thread, though some of that may have come from the WHO one way or another. The numbers are artificially low out of China and now Italy as well since they stopped recording deaths in nursing homes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8979662)
Ninety Five Percent? Where did you pull that number out of? I've seen projections of 30-70% but never any numbers approaching 95%, that's some nice alarmism there.

That was the number I saw earlier in this thread, I don't recall who posted it or what the source was. If the thread wasn't 105 pages long I'd go back and find it.

Even at "only" 30-70% getting infected, with no action and how the US is they're likely to be at the higher end of that. Hard to say thus far how that number splits into asymptomatic/mild symptoms vs severe cases but you're still going to end up with a large number of people out of action for quite a while and a lot of people dead if you dump them all on the health system at the same time.

327 million people x (30 to 70%) = 98 to 229 million infected. Say 1 in 10 has a severe reaction, that's 9.8 to 22.9 million.

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8979670)
I've been pulling info from this thread, though some of that may have come from the WHO one way or another. The numbers are artificially low out of China and now Italy as well since they stopped recording deaths in nursing homes.

That was the number I saw earlier in this thread, I don't recall who posted it or what the source was. If the thread wasn't 105 pages long I'd go back and find it.

Even at "only" 30-70% getting infected, with no action and how the US is they're likely to be at the higher end of that. Hard to say thus far how that number splits into asymptomatic/mild symptoms vs severe cases but you're still going to end up with a large number of people out of action for quite a while and a lot of people dead if you dump them all on the health system at the same time.

327 million people x (30 to 70%) = 98 to 229 million infected. Say 1 in 10 has a severe reaction, that's 9.8 to 22.9 million.

Also with a 0.3% death rate that's 687K dead :heckno:

1.3 million dead if using the higher estimated rate of 0.6%

twitchyzero 03-24-2020 04:02 PM

67 new cases in BC, 28% of all cases have since recovered

welfare 03-24-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8979673)

28%?
Are you sure about that number?
From the latest update i could find:
Cases- 2,751
Deaths- 27
Recovered- 112

blkgsr 03-24-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8979673)

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...-617-1.4866419

uh try 145

mj_39 03-24-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979674)
28%?
Are you sure about that number?
From the latest update i could find:
Cases- 2,751
Deaths- 27
Recovered- 112

From the presser today and link posted above 617 total cases in B.C. with 173 recovered