REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #15526
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Ah, so that's back to my original comment. I have faith and believe our BC Health officials are looking at the data and making the correct decisions based on that or things would still be mandated.
If you think the decisions are politically motivated, then you're removing all credibility of our health officials.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #15527
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Ah, so that's back to my original comment. I have faith and believe our BC Health officials are looking at the data and making the correct decisions based on that or things would still be mandated.
If you think the decisions are politically motivated, then you're removing all credibility of our health officials.
Why else do you think the rules are, as you put it, counterintuitive or straight up conflicting?

Science should be intuitive and non conflicting..
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #15528

So then who's right? Which side is more politically charged?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #15529

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:

I don’t agree with that at all. They are reading public reaction to their rules and suggestions with the understanding that an angry, spiteful public will make it far more difficult to impose or suggest any health restrictions moving forward.
It’s an understanding that you can only disrupt public life so substantially for so long before the pushback makes people cut off their nose to spite their face, especially in todays political climate where people seem to value freedom over quality of life in many aspects.
Although I don’t believe that necessarily makes it politically motivated. It’s an important look at the psychology of making things most effective.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #15530
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
So then who's right? Which side is more politically charged?
Not sure what you mean by who is right? Who as in who?

Maybe Westopher is on the right track, and this is being done mostly to prevent bus drivers and passengers from getting spit on or physically assaulted. Maybe the truckers won after all? I have no idea
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #15531

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I don’t agree with that at all. They are reading public reaction to their rules and suggestions with the understanding that an angry, spiteful public will make it far more difficult to impose or suggest any health restrictions moving forward.
It’s an understanding that you can only disrupt public life so substantially for so long before the pushback makes people cut off their nose to spite their face, especially in todays political climate where people seem to value freedom over quality of life in many aspects.
Although I don’t believe that necessarily makes it politically motivated. It’s an important look at the psychology of making things most effective.

One can certainly hold that opinion. I do not, and say it's not politically motivated or our that would just remove all confidence in our health professionals. All along the messaging that we got from our BC officials is that people not following the order were idiots, that this province was not going to be looking at other provinces or the federal government to make its decisions and plot it's own course. It would be quite the about-face if at the end of it all they just decided to cave to public pressure.
Unless you can produce actual evidence that what you say is what led the decisions they made... Maybe there's a tape of a heated discussion between Horgan and Henry on this decision, and Hulk comes out "Dammit Bonnie, people can't handle this any longer, this is how it's going to be".
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 04-21-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #15532

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Not sure what you mean by who is right? Who as in who?
The federal side or the provincial side
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 04-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #15533
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Well if hospitals were still completely maxed out would they have removed mask mandates just because people are upset about masks? I doubt it. I imagine someone with more information than us looked at the numbers and made a decision that isn't likely to affect the health of most citizens.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #15534

No they wouldn’t of, of course. They look at reasonable concessions to make, and make them. There is obviously a risk assessment involved.
It’s not black and white yes or no question. You balance decisions on multiple factors. If it was just safe or unsafe, they’d say yes or no, not, yes with caveats and suggested courses of action.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #15535

I do believe their choices have been dictated more by science than public pressure. It's all risk assessment, and the risk just isn't what it used to be. I can't imagine they just decided to say fuck it based on a random bus attack.

I had more support for masks when it was mandated everywhere. At least then it made sense, if you're around people you're wearing a mask. This whole "mask here, no mask here" phase we've entered just seems sloppy, and I can't imagine it's working too well to slow the spread of a highly contagious virus.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:34 AM   #15536
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Well if hospitals were still completely maxed out would they have removed mask mandates just because people are upset about masks? I doubt it. I imagine someone with more information than us looked at the numbers and made a decision that isn't likely to affect the health of most citizens.
Alberta did that last summer and pretty much declared covid over just as the science was showing Delta infections were starting to increase.

I believe every decision is politically/financially motivated. Not for what's best for the people, but what minimizes financial loses, not letting the medical system crash, while staying in people good books and hopefully get re-elected on the next election.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #15537

All I’m really trying to say, is public support is also part of the science.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #15538
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
Ask anyone in Alberta if Jason Kenny was making decisions based on science or re-election chances lol

Canadian version of Ted Cruz... who is also sort of Canadian, embarrassingly enough
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #15539
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
With how “poorly” Alberta handled the whole thing they saw only 1000 more deaths than BC through the entire thing.

While people will go off about that being significant, I’d say over a 2 year period it’s not that bad considering restrictions were essentially lifted twice as often as other places.

Quebec has double the population of Alberta yet they had almost 3.5 times as many deaths as Alberta. No one seems to bring up Quebec who also seemed to have more severe restrictions etc. did they do a “good” job?
Old 04-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #15540

Lol Alberta’s restrictions were way harsher than ours most of the time but they went with a model of massive restrictions followed by none. 25% more deaths, 30% less population, indoor dining closed for months on end. They did an objectively much worse job of handling it.
Quebec did an absolutely garbage job as well. Same model as Alberta. That plays well into my theory of taking public opinion into consideration as well. Nobody would tolerate what was happening in Quebec with the absolute bullshit restrictions like curfews. That’s why everyone was just hanging out with other people in their homes with no consideration for the rules and driving infections.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #15541

Than BC, yes.

BC basically walked this tightrope and it worked out. I’ll give them credit for it
Old 04-21-2022, 10:13 AM   #15542
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
1000 more deaths with 700,000 less population is a lot... and they also had way MORE restrictions than us at times to clamp back down on being stupid lifting things too early a couple times.

Basically 1000 more people died so Kenney could get some votes.

Even when he had to hammer restrictions back on worse than BC's, he blamed it totally on his version of Bonnie Henry (sorry I forgot her name)... that poor woman ate so much shit for him.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #15543

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
Just came back from Phoenix yesterday, boy it was refreshing.

I'm out of the loop here, you guys still arguing about masks?

TSA has scrapped their mandates, along with most companies (Uber days ago).

It's a moot point now. I can acknowledge I was very much on the left when it came to COVID mandates back in 2020, my opinion has evolved over time -- it's a shame that some of us have attached our own identity to the subject as an extension of one's self, that rigidity some are carrying begets common sense at this point.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #15544

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
To me (this part is important, as everybody is different), common sense dictates that I should wear a mask in a variety of situations. Yes, it can be a hassle, but I don't find it uncomfortable, so why not decrease the chance (even by the tiniest bit) of me passing germs to others, or others passing germs to me?

Kind of like wearing a seatbelt. Besides the chance of getting a no seatbelt ticket, why do you wear a seatbelt? How likely are you going to get into a severe accident?

Edit: I’ll concede that mask vs seatbelt is a bad comparison.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 04-24-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #15545

No seatbelt and a bad accident is for going to fuck you up or kill you. No mask and catching Covid at this point I'm most likely getting a runny nose if I even have any symptoms at all. Not the best comparison.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #15546
GS8

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
I just wear a portable airbag when I'm pushing dat samosa and tadka filled buggy around the Newton Walmart

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #15547

I’d say it’s more akin to wearing a helmet while driving as opposed to your seatbelt.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:29 AM   #15548

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
That's fucking hilarious

The news here has been:

Govt plans to do universal testing over 9 days. Everyone tested 3 times, then RAT daily, and positives go into isolation

China wants them to do full lockdown during this time. What this means, nobody knows, but most likely it'd basically be like a typhoon lockdown, something we do 1-3 times a year. Grocery stores, pharmacies, etc would remain open.

Govt leaked these 2 stories with 2 different dates to the press (March 17 and March 27), and people lost their shit and started panic buy. Most grocery stores were cleared out of fresh and frozen food. Still lots of canned food and snacks and rice. We had to buy frozen chicken breasts for instance

Experts have been saying universal testing is pointless during the peak, they already missed their shot at it having any effect. They'd essentially find over a million positives and tell them to stay home.

So the universal test is on hold for now, but they may use it to kill off the wave once it starts to die on its own. Experts keep saying it's pointless except in specific scenarios, but China really wants them to appear as if they're doing something. They still do building lockdowns, and when they do they find between 10-20% of the residents are positive.

They are still building isolation facilities, a new one in a shipping port with thousands of isolation pods that look like prison cells (complete with barred windows)

Man oh man, after more than a month in Shanghai lock down, looking at your old post makes that cell seem like heaven haha. It was and still is an absolute shit show. Unbelievable how political opposition and turmoil can turn a "world class" mega city into a shit show. Everyday you'd see and experience shit that you would not imagine can ever happen. Just yesterday the morgue went to a retirement home and hauled away a old woman, she was all covered and zipped up, then while loading into the truck one of the retirement home workers realized she was still alive and moving haha. They then bring her back out and back into the home... A lot of the quarantine places are nasty AF and impossible to get rest as you are all sealed up with hundreds of people in a communal room, all snoring, lights always on, no showers. Even with that a lot of people in the early weeks was begging to go because they couldn't get any food to feed themselves. It's so crazy...
Old 06-10-2022, 09:09 AM   #15549

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I got back from Vegas yesterday, was starting to feel run down, getting winded from 1 set of stairs. Tested when I got home, positive. Who would have thunk playing poker in a room with 5,000 other people. Feel worse today for sure.

I wonder what percentage of people at WSOP end up with it? Over/under 25% ? Less than 2% masked would be my guess if you're curious.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:24 AM   #15550

I mean at this point if you're going out daily or traveling you've accepted that you're going to get Covid or you've probably already had it.
This post thanked by: