REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #2151
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Now that things are being reported to be returning to normal (ish) in China, what did they do that Italy hasn't?
What can we learn?
And I'm not talking about placing blame on reactions anywhere. What do we need to do tomorrow, what does the government need to do tomorrow?
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #2152
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
They created hospitals to quarantine everyone that was *suspected* to be infected and made attempts to pretty much test EVERYONE. Country was on lockdown for nearly two mounths and they also had communism on their side.

Italy is in lockdown and hopefully it works. The thing that is killing people in Italy atm is the lack of healthcare for people due to it being overcapacity. It appears that the only way to control this virus is either test everyone and quarantine them or have a complete shutdown.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #2153

Thanked 3,855 Times in 889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Now that things are being reported to be returning to normal (ish) in China, what did they do that Italy hasn't?
What can we learn?
And I'm not talking about placing blame on reactions anywhere. What do we need to do tomorrow, what does the government need to do tomorrow?
Lie?
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #2154
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMofo View Post
How is everyone else's workplace dealing with closing and paying their employees?

Specifically salary employees.

We're trying to keep our shop open as long as possible cause my employee's including myself want/need to work.
As far as my company goes. Some dept are strictly working from home, others are on rotation schedule so some will come in MWF and others TTH and switch every week. Others like myself are still working in the office but it could change the next day. We are getting laptops setup for us to work at home when needed. Techs are also on a rotation and is only new installs and no service service calls only. No upgrades or other BS service calls (customer wants a tech to go in to relocate where their router is etc etc). As far as I know some people are scare to come to work in case they get infected. I am not too scare even though I took the skytrain while other drive. Once I get to the office first thing i do is wash my hand and same when I get home. I also work the 7am shift so I get on the skytrain at aorund 5:50am and there are hardly anyone at the time anyways. I also have wet ones wipe to use when I can't wash my hands so I am good. Might start wearing mask to work when it gets worse.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #2155
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
My wife works at Vancity HQ, she was informed that she will have to work from home for 2 possibly 3 months.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #2156
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,335 Times in 5,646 Posts
Italy’s population is also pretty old and (just looked it up 25% of the population is over 65)

My wife remarked when she was in Europe years ago a heatwave hung over Italy for a month and literally hundreds of elderly died during that time.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #2157
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
Lie?
I'd second this. Don't trust China's number one bit. Or at the very least, the Chinese number is not an apple to apple comparison to the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post

A friend of mine who's Chinese works IT for Pirelli in Italy. He basically got out before the pandemic blew up but he said Italy is a no go for anyone Asian for a long time. Even before the pandemic he would tell me how co-workers would say he was stealing info to make replica tires in China and in general would never be welcomed when he went out. He might not return to Italy or Europe and instead look for work locally.
You should blame the CCP for this.

Under CCP's regime, China cared nothing but economic growth, aka, money. Not moral value, discipline, etiquette, ethic... just money.

The act of corporate espionage and the stealing of IP is encouraged in China's corporate environment. Because it's not a society governed by law, where there's a boudary, or a rule of game, but about who has a better connection to the Chinese elite.

There is no cooperation with them. All they care about is their own financial success. When they are willing to "work" with you, it means that they are trying to benefit themselves. There's no such thing as a win-win situation. You either benefit them, or you don't. They don't care. It's a rat-race. I don't think every Chinese/Chinese company are like that, but I've seen way too many times in my work life to still have any faith or even the slightest courage to trust when working with Chinese/ChiCom.

So much so that I'd go out of my way, to tell my suppliers that if they are working with any ChiCom on my project, we can just call any potential deals off because it's a risk I'm no longer willing to bear. (I worked in the IT consulting business, and had way too many cases where Chinese competition or even clients themselves simply stole our idea from somewhere of our own company or our suppliers) Because they think if they can get away with this, they can make xx amount more on this project.

This is why Chinese or ChiCom get such a bad rep... even though many of them might very well actually be good people, the prejudice on Chinese (as in China) is just too big, when even their government endorse such an idea.

Edit: just to clarify, the "Chinese" here are actually Chinese from China, rather as the ethnicity. I don't hate Chinese, I married one and have many good friend from China. But I've had many bad exp. working with Chinese/ChiCom in my professional life that I simply gave up on them.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #2158

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Yea no. This curve is just a little too flat .

But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #2159
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
I can smell the bologna numbers from here. Im guessing its about a weeks time we see the US numbers spike dramatically. Not sure about Canada, I think its going to be much slower here in comparison to US especially when you see things like all of Florida go to the beach.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #2160
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The curve is definitely strangely flat. I don’t trust China at all, but they did take serious measures (did we forget the stories of welding doors shut already?).

If they were actually able to quarantine infected, and suspected individuals in a short period of time, that would effectively flatten the curve completely, no? The halfway approach everyone else is going, is going to have a dyno graph like a B16. China’s big block V8 looks quite appealing
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #2161
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Italy is going to surpass China in deaths by tomorrow, and what's more shocking is that Italy isn't counting deaths from nursing homes, because they won't even test them for corona, but reportedly there are many nursing home deaths due to a flu

Just reported on bbc
Ah an article

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2152V0

Quote:
MILAN (Reuters) - As the official death toll from Italy’s coronavirus outbreak passes 2,500, a silent surge in fatalities in nursing homes, where dozens of patients a day are dying untested for the virus, suggests the real total may be higher.
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #2162
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
I can smell the bologna numbers from here. Im guessing its about a weeks time we see the US numbers spike dramatically. Not sure about Canada, I think its going to be much slower here in comparison to US especially when you see things like all of Florida go to the beach.
Which is funny because right now, Florida is fifth highest for active cases at 320 (8 deaths so far). Considering how many old people live in Florida, I worry...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #2163
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Yea no. This curve is just a little too flat .

That peak in China happened when they changed the requirements for someone to be considered a COVID-19 patient. The day after they did that tally, they switched to another counting method

Anyway, whether it's BS or not (obviously it is and always was), as soon as they try to open up again and "live their lives" another breakout will occur in another city. It's practically guaranteed as long as there are patients in the country that haven't been found yet.

It IS technically possible for the curve to be that flat, but they'd have to be lying about the amount of deaths. There's a non 0% chance that they're just killing people and not calling it a coronavirus death.

"Saving Face" is literally the most important thing to the party these days, and they will do ANYTHING to do that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #2164

Of the 43 cases today, what is the breakdown of where the cases were found? Is there a website that tracks where the cases are from?

I also received a forwarded message today. I am wondering if anyone else received this?

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS** March 18/2020: 15 cases of Coronavirus linked to Metrotown mall in Burnaby, B.C.
Everyone who visited the following stores within the last 3 days needs to go to hospital or self isolate at home as soon as possible because even if your not feeling symptoms you could still be carrying and unknowingly spreading the virus.

- Nike
- Footlocker
- Aldos
- BlueNotes
- Below the Belt
- Banana Republic
- Guess
- Gap
- Jack & Jones
- Le Chateau
- TOPMAN

Everyone please spread this message because things could get out of control and call the Coronavirus hotline 1-833-784-4397. BC Government.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #2165
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Is it time to change title of thread to just Coronavirus?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #2166
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
China's approach: Lie and weld people in buildings
USA/Russia approach: Don't bother testing
NK approach: Just kill them

All are good for numbers, but bad for actually keeping people alive.

Canada isn't doing full testing either, the gov't will need to start locking things down hard because people still don't have a clue what is going on in the rest of the world. Today I've had to try to tell my parents to stop worrying about reno's (they've been running all over town, had the internet guy there yesterday, a plumber coming in for quotes tomorrow), had my neighbour say (from a distance) everything is a big surprise, saw friends posting about their vacations and that they aren't coming back yet, other friends saying how they're enjoying how less busy all the stores are and they're fine with it cause it's only gonna kill old people which frees up medical wait times and housing.

Meanwhile I'm trying not to panic too much about my older relatives or the ones with pre-existing conditions, or how badly it'll go if anything happens to my family that requires hospital care when things get beyond maxed out, or if I'll even be able to get the things my family needs if the supplies in warehouses start running out.

Sorry for the small rant but everyone being completely oblivious to how fast this can get bad is stressing me out. Granted I might've been too since most of the info I've gotten (especially earlier on) was thanks to this thread. Forums still trump everything else for sharing information.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #2167
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
The curve is definitely strangely flat. I don’t trust China at all, but they did take serious measures (did we forget the stories of welding doors shut already?).

If they were actually able to quarantine infected, and suspected individuals in a short period of time, that would effectively flatten the curve completely, no? The halfway approach everyone else is going, is going to have a dyno graph like a B16. China’s big block V8 looks quite appealing
There's literally a video of a government official in a hazmat suit forcing people into a metal cube/cage in the back of a truck because they're infected.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #2168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post

I also received a forwarded message today. I am wondering if anyone else received this?
Received from my friend, who received from another friend. I don't see anything on any news outlets at the moment.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #2169
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
What can we learn?
We need to track trace and quarantine aggressively. Something that all Asian countries that has successfully flatten the curve have been doing. For example, in Vietnam, all inbound air traffic from Europe are quarantined for 14 days at an isolated military campus, regardless of nationalities. They test people multiple times and feed them proper meals daily for 14 days.
This is something that the Trudeau and Trump government have failed to do and are still failing to do. It comes at a high economic cost for the government, that is no doubt. But the cost of closed businesses and unemployment are even higher.

Our government are also not testing aggressively, as WHO recommended. There is no reason you can test at a drive-through in South Korea in 10 minutes like getting a McDick and it costed $1,100 USD + $3500 ER fees to test in the US (only recently made free). The most dangerous spreaders are the people who have no symptoms. They aren't self-quarantine. They are out and about spreading the plague. China have test kits. Re-engineer them, do whatever you must, but get those tests out there to us plebs, symptoms or not. Don't waste anymore time re-inventing the wheel. Time we don't have.

Disinfecting public places. People thought it's funny when Chinese have 4 trucks in parallel rolling down the street spraying disinfectant. It worked. A lot of other countries are disinfecting neighborhoods the same way.

Vaccine are at the minimum a year away. Can't wait for that.

Summary:
- Track, trace, quarantine
- Test, test, test
- Disinfecting
- Take it seriously. It's the "just the flu" people that got us into this mess.

You already have exhibit A of countries who have successfully flatten the curve. You literally don't have to re-invent the wheel. Do the same damn thing.

And you have exhibit B of countries who have failed to do so like Italy. Italy's medical system got completely overwhelmed. It's over for them when care-providers like doctors and nurses started fallen ill. Once they are fallen ill, they are out for 14 days. That's a long time for this plague. And we need time. Flattening the curve is basically buying time for the medical system to do its work and treat pneumonia. As a result, their curve is still growing exponentially.

---------------------------------------
Rant: Trudeau government have failed us. The same way Trump government have failed the American people. Closing border to essential services only and aggressive quarantine measure should have been done a long time ago, not last week. Everyone knew about the plague mid January. We are only doing something today. It's a joke.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #2170

Quote:
Of the 43 cases today, what is the breakdown of where the cases were found? Is there a website that tracks where the cases are from?

Unless it came from a government agency, you can probably ignore it, like most text forwards

Good to check with others before reacting
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 PM   #2171
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Received from my friend, who received from another friend. I don't see anything on any news outlets at the moment.
There was also an image circulating of a memo from Vancouver Coastal Health about not taking Ibuprofen (Advil); I think it turns out this image was fake so that's pretty ballsy. I would really double check every forwarded message before you forward to more people.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #2172
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Sen. John Cornyn Says China ‘Is to Blame’ for Coronavirus Because They ‘Eat Bats and Snakes and Dogs’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/se...akes-and-dogs/

A friend of mine who's Chinese works IT for Pirelli in Italy. He basically got out before the pandemic blew up but he said Italy is a no go for anyone Asian for a long time. Even before the pandemic he would tell me how co-workers would say he was stealing info to make replica tires in China and in general would never be welcomed when he went out. He might not return to Italy or Europe and instead look for work locally.
His co-workers don't know the people cutting them their cheques are Chinese? lol. Majority owners of Pirelli is a Chinese company,
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #2173
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
There was also an image circulating of a memo from Vancouver Coastal Health about not taking Ibuprofen (Advil); I think it turns out this image was fake so that's pretty ballsy. I would really double check every forwarded message before you forward to more people.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ibupr...irus-1.5501496
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #2174

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:

If this was true I would assume they would just shut metrotown down completely. However, no news yet. I did mention earlier in this thread I was at metrotown on Monday, it was pretty damn busy so I wouldn't be surprised.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #2175

UK "caught off guard" like everyone else

They plan to shut down London

Before I moved here, I didn't realize what a privilege it is for a country to be able to choose their own leader. I think nobody really realizes it, and that's why they keep electing clowns to run their countries
This post thanked by: