REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #8551
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,232 Posts
Most of the people going to the all-inclusives in Mexico/Caribbean are not going to suddenly change plans and try and navigate their way around Bogota or Santiago for a vacation (there's not many non-stop flights to SA from Canada anyways). Low effort vacation in Gringolandia is what they're after and shutting that down is low hanging fruit. Plus Hawaii requires a negative COVID test before going and they'll have to self-isolate when coming back here.

Plus Dr. Henry hinted there are talks between the Feds and the US to further restrict flights in the coming days.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #8552
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I think it speaks volumes to see so many people online giving Trudeau backlash for the $2000 cost for mandatory quarantine and testing.

The entire point is to make it expensive to deter people from doing non-essential travel!
i can see the argument from both sides

government already dishing out so much for vaccines and EI, why should they have another source of burden

then there's people that really need to travel: already have to take time off their meager paying jobs to go see family that's on their deathbed overseas then that $2000 will then really sting...also doesnt help to hear about other countries that have free quarantine hotels/care packages

instead of the recovery grant to tourism businesses, is directing it to quarantine hotels an option?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-30-2021 at 08:40 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #8553
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,728 Times in 895 Posts
Honestly if you can afford to travel at this time $2000 is peanuts. The flights and hotel at minimum will cost you that much anyways. At the end of the day you're risking your life and other people's lives for your benefit. I heard australia is min $3000 per person forced quarantine additional $1000 per adult and I think $500 per child. This is totally fair, you want the benefit of traveling, pay the price. Gotta pay to play. The whole point of this is we fucked up with the honor system. If we had hard tracking and more enforcement in place we wouldn't be where we are now.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #8554
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Honestly if you can afford to travel at this time $2000 is peanuts. The flights and hotel at minimum will cost you that much anyways. At the end of the day you're risking your life and other people's lives for your benefit. I heard australia is min $3000 per person forced quarantine additional $1000 per adult and I think $500 per child. This is totally fair, you want the benefit of traveling, pay the price. Gotta pay to play. The whole point of this is we fucked up with the honor system. If we had hard tracking and more enforcement in place we wouldn't be where we are now.
Australia's fees are for aussie returning home who didn't return by the deadline, I don't believe they're allowing international travellers in yet (aside from work competition exceptions) nor are they allowing their citizens to holiday
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #8555
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i can see the argument from both sides

government already dishing out so much for vaccines and EI, why should they have another source of burden

then there's people that really need to travel: already have to take time off their meager paying jobs to go see family that's on their deathbed overseas then that $2000 will then really sting...also doesnt help to hear about other countries that have free quarantine hotels/care packages

instead of the recovery grant to tourism businesses, is directing it to quarantine hotels an option?
Do these new rules apply to essential travel? (visiting dying/dead relatives is essential) I thought this was just for non essential
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #8556

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
That's bullshit if you support $2K for a 3-day quarantine.

You're literally now creating a caste system for traveling, which I totally disagree with. If you think an additional $2K per person is peanuts to the standard traveler, you're way out of touch.

Those who have the money can scoff at the $2K and go on their vacation, meanwhile the standard person gets fucked. How is that fair?

Ban all incoming international flights (unless approved via some type of process for essential travel), and make it fair for all citizens.

I fundamentally disagree with this approach, cost-wise.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #8557
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Anyone have a list of hotels participating in new travel order? It will be interesting to see how they can accommodate return of travellers after CNY.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #8558
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Ban all incoming international flights (unless approved via some type of process for essential travel), and make it fair for all citizens.

I fundamentally disagree with this approach, cost-wise.
no different than a speeding/red light ticket/15% foreign homeowner tax

they 'discourage' it but probably want a way so airlines (already on lifeline) wont all go bankrupt tomorrow
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #8559

Thanked 1,728 Times in 895 Posts
^^ yea how's it not fair, at the end of the day it's the person's choice to travel or not. If they don't want to quarantine or can't afford to quarantine, too bad don't travel then.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #8560
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Is it potentially to discourage traveling for a vacation while still allowing people to travel for business purposes? Since the company would take the expense.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #8561
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Went to a restaurant tonight (I won’t name it as I love this restaurant and I’ll cut it some slack) however, if 1 person dining tonight had covid pretty sure we’ve all got it...lol..

Like, 600 sq ft dining area with maybe 50 people dining? Felt basically full non-covid capacity almost. Also two groups of 6 who were obviously 1 group of 12 celebrating a birthday apart but together. (On top of that we sang happy birthday as a restaurant to them lol..Had an amazing meal and great date night but yea..that was kinda fucked lol..

c'est la vie
Old 01-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #8562
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
^now you got me thinking what restaurant.............

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 01-30-2021 at 09:07 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #8563
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Also curious. We have poopooed lots of people trying to "sneak" a group of people in as multiple tables. It's pretty frustrating hearing of restaurants risking an entire industry right now with their bullshit behaviour, and there's lots of them doing it.
Most of them though are trash restaurants, but there's a few quality places I've seen do it.
If you are willing to risk peoples health during this time however, I seriously question your food handling and cleaning practices, as clearly no fucks are given about the well being of guests and staff in these instances.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2021, 02:36 AM   #8564
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
you mean kitchen staff not wearing masks cause "its already hot back here".
Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #8565
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Lol! Buddy had another TWO parties this weekend in his makeshift club

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/01...ine-77-guests/
Old 01-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #8566
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Getting ever so slightly closer to stopping one guy with the “ton of bricks” approach. Lol
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #8567
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Ha just came to post the article and video from global. What an upstanding citizen.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7610670/v...telus-gardens/

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #8568
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
I've wondered aloud once before...

The city's finances are in the shitter, and these social distancing fines are golden eggs for them to claw some back from idiots, why aren't they taking advantage of it some more? I don't think that guy running the stupid illegal night club is hurting, he probably made more than that in half a night.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2021, 01:08 PM   #8569
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I've wondered aloud once before...

The city's finances are in the shitter, and these social distancing fines are golden eggs for them to claw some back from idiots, why aren't they taking advantage of it some more? I don't think that guy running the stupid illegal night club is hurting, he probably made more than that in half a night.
b/c soft?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #8570
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Getting ever so slightly closer to stopping one guy with the “ton of bricks” approach. Lol
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rest-1.5895453

I wonder if these penalties from potential criminal charges for the penthouse owner would be the "tonne of bricks".

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said he was pleased to see enforcement against “idiots who think they can flout the rules and the laws.”

“The fines levied by the police may just be the start of the problems they are facing,” he said.

“There could potentially be charges under the criminal code, for example, they may (face) additional fines (for violating) health orders, where the penalties can run up to $10,000 and one year in jail.”

Farnworth said the venue operators could also face penalties for operating a venue without a liquor licence.

Last edited by pastarocket; 01-31-2021 at 02:03 PM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:11 PM   #8571
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,278 Times in 1,634 Posts
First month of 2021 is in the books. Out of curiousity, I did the math and turns out I worked 43 hours of OT

Things are under control though, just a lot of sick calls from staff.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #8572
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
i don't recall from the article but i was talking about that couple that snuck off to get vaccines & got a slap on the wrist fine...since they got their 1st shot...is the gov't going to let them get their 2nd shot in order not to waste the 1st shot?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #8573
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Nope, I heard on news that they are not letting couple get 2nd dose. They are blacklisted.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #8574
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Nope, I heard on news that they are not letting couple get 2nd dose. They are blacklisted.
I don't believe they're blacklisted at least not locally. They will receive their 2nd dose in BC where they reside but will have to wait like everyone else for their turn. By the time they get it it'll be outside the recommended time after the 1st shot though. I wonder what their plan was originally to get the 2nd shot anyway?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #8575
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I don't believe they're blacklisted at least not locally. They will receive their 2nd dose in BC where they reside but will have to wait like everyone else for their turn. By the time they get it it'll be outside the recommended time after the 1st shot though. I wonder what their plan was originally to get the 2nd shot anyway?
Yukon stayed the fine I read. They're being summoned with a court date and appearance in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Ha just came to post the article and video from global. What an upstanding citizen.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7610670/v...telus-gardens/
He already was fined by the insurance association. His hearing with the mutual fund dealer association was just delayed to March.

https://mfda.ca/news-release/adjourn201925mm/
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote