REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #101
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
They aren’t giving out onions and peppers since covid
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #102
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I think you need to ask for the condiments, no? They have been pre-packaged in little clear containers for individual consumption for a while now.
They give out ketchup (catsup), mustard, and relish in packets. And, you have to ask for it. I asked for onions and that's what I got.

So, when I got home, I opened up a can of baked beans, warmed it up and put it on the hot dog. I even sprinkled on some crumbled bacon bits (also from Costco).

Didn't have room for the Saputo Sliced Provolone I had on hand (also on sale at Costco). If only the buns opened up wider, gulolol.

Addendum:

I used to buy canned baked beans at Costco, but when they go on sale at Superstore/Walmart and sometimes Save-On Foods (case lot sale) they're cheaper than Costco. In fact, sometimes lower than Costco's sale price. Ever notice Superstore matching Costco prices a lot these days? I get Optimum points, especially with the PC World Elite Mastercard, so it's a bonus. Wait for Points Redemption events at Shoppers (another topic in itself). Shop like a mother....... pfft.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #103
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Costco is definately not always the cheapest on the single items. Lots of times things on sale at other grocery stores will be cheaper, however for the amount cheaper it's not my time and driving around between all those other stores for what those savings are worth.
I hate driving around for shopping more than I need to. Right now I do about 98% of my shopping between Costco (once a month), Country Grocer and Save On Foods which are the closest two grocery stores to m my house(about once a week)

Also, since I'm a gold member at costco the cash rebate is nice. At the very least I've always managed to get enough back to fully cover next year's membership renewal.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #104
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I just got home from Costco.......... having the hot dog as I type...........

Frick, it's good.

I have diced onions, but they're frozen.

BTW, No Frills/Superstore has frozen diced onions for $2.00 bag. I get the onions and the mirepoix, which is also $2.00 a bag, together.
They got onions too dog, you just gotta ask for a portion.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #105

Does anyone notice how quickly Costco meat turns in the fridge though?

That's one thing I've noticed when buying steaks or pork from there, if you don't freeze it within the first day or so, it'll start turning brown/grey on you extremely fast.

Way quicker than meat I purchase from other markets, and I've never been able to figure out why?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #106

You guys sure their still giving out onions? Pretty sure not

With the meat, steaks at least, maybe because of the fat content? Generally their prime or AAA cuts have a lot more fat than comparable rib eyes etc. From Safeway and the like
Old 09-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Does anyone notice how quickly Costco meat turns in the fridge though?

That's one thing I've noticed when buying steaks or pork from there, if you don't freeze it within the first day or so, it'll start turning brown/grey on you extremely fast.

Way quicker than meat I purchase from other markets, and I've never been able to figure out why?
Meat oxidization is normal with any meat from anywhere. I don't notice any difference in time duration from Costco meat vs meat from anywhere else. Maybe it's just because it's a bigger package = more air can get at it?

I vacuum seal mine as soon as I bring it home.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #108
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,441 Times in 5,113 Posts
^ you said bigger package
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #109
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I rarely get the hot food from the Costco, mostly because my ideal time to go is after dinner on a thursday night which is about 7:00pm when it's not too busy.

Also going on a full stomach really helps with keeping the impulse food buys down.
I've tried going after a meal but I still end up with a dog in my hand for some reason haha
But impulse food buys are the best! I've found some random gems grabbing food I normally wouldn't think of just walking around the aisles ... seaweed chips, popcorners, TGIF potato skins, etc ...

Comparing Costco, Mcdonald's and Fresh Slice pizza is a taste test I would rather avoid lol ... it's like do you prefer cardboard, styrofoam or plastic?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #110
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i'm all about the polish, dat garlic..

i was digging around in my phone looking for a pic i took regarding the dogs, so before they used to have a pic on the wall with the hot dogs dressed with the old condiments, onions, peppers, etc.

Now, it seems like they've already updated those pics of the hot dogs in the caffeteria area to show only kethcup and mustard on the pic.. so thats disapointing if those old condiments are never gonna return
They still have onions, you have to ask for it in a little sauce container cause some POS ppl goes with a bag and scoops all the onions and takes them away.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #111
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
I’ve never noticed Costco meat turns quicker than others myself.. that said, if you intend to portion and aren’t in the first day or two, seems you’re doing it wrong anyway.

My only questionable Costco return was for a BBQ I had purchased. IIRC it was around $1200 originally and went on sale for $900 a few weeks later. I asked customer service if I could get the better price and they said no. It was already built and used so I retrieved the original receipt from home, went back, bought another one and took it straight from the till to the returns counter. I handed them my old receipt, returned the new BBQ and got credit for the original amount.

Quote:
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #112
MG1

No onions. Not at Willingdon or Brighton. Maybe other locations? Locations on the Island has propane and self serve registers? .......... damn.

Gotta get some perks for living in a place that requires a boat to come and go from the rest of the world.

Last edited by MG1; 09-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #113
MG1

Oxidation is a bitch. That's why I use ceramic knives when I cut my sashimi (especially maguro).

You cannot sharpen ceramic knives which is a huge drawback. That's why I got the ones that the North Van company sells - at the PNE. Free replacement for life. No questions asked. If it gets dull, just take it to their headquarters just across the Second Narrows and they just give you a razor sharp one - did I mention no questions asked?

https://keramikoskitchen.com

supporting local whenever, wherever I can.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #114
MG1

Went to Costco again, because I miss spying on Euterus........... Actually, I ran out of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce. Can't cook without it. Like Mirin and Oyster Sauce (which they sell at Costco, as well) is a must for Asian cooking. Anyway, I purchased other stuff like the Provolone cheese on sale........ the Lea & Perrin's is cheaper than even No Frills, which has a sale on them.

On the way out, I was about to get the hot dogs, but remembered I had to go to IKEA. 2 Veggie Dogs and a drink (hot or cold) for $2.50. Not bad. Today, the ladies there piled on the deep fried onions, red cabbage, and sweet mustard. I resisted eating them till I got home. Watching Blue Jays baseball with hot dogs, ftmfw!

https://www.businessinsider.com/ikea...u-item-2018-10

This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #115
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Oxidation is a bitch. That's why I use ceramic knives when I cut my sashimi (especially maguro).

You cannot sharpen ceramic knives which is a huge drawback. That's why I got the ones that the North Van company sells - at the PNE. Free replacement for life. No questions asked. If it gets dull, just take it to their headquarters just across the Second Narrows and they just give you a razor sharp one - did I mention no questions asked?

https://keramikoskitchen.com

supporting local whenever, wherever I can.
I have those knives, I've broke the peeler and one of the smaller knives. A little bummed about the quality. Bit of a FWP, but I find that when I get the handles oily, it's really hard to clean off.

Going to get them exchange was also a little tough because they open at regular business hours which I have work.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
IMO the only ceramic knife worth the money are the Kyocera ones.

I have had like 3 Kyocera peelers and 2 smaller knifes I used to fruits, the youngest around 2yrs and the oldest over 10, and I still find them just fine. One of the peelers broke when I accidentally dropped on the floor and chipped, other than that... zero complains.

Have had some cheapo ceramic ones from Homesense or sth... supposedly original MSRP at over Kyoceras... none lasted as long.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #117
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Going to get them exchange was also a little tough because they open at regular business hours which I have work.
Just ask someone else to get the replacement. They don't ask for any ID or anything. You have one in your hand, you're good to go. They never asked me for anything. I thought they have/had equipment to sharpen the knife, but they don't bother. They just gave me a new one.

In fact, the one I got replaced was my son's. I have yet to need any of mine replaced.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #118
MG1

Wow, my son made roast beef today. Started yesterday using the sous vide. I let him use the Miyabi 800 DP Kiritsuke to slice it with. Damn, that blade cut through like there was nothing there. He was finished in no time flat. Hot knife through butter still takes effort. This was like way easier. The Kiritsuke is a little on the long side, but I purchased it to cut through maguro (tuna). I have to find out how they achieve that starburst, damascus finish.

The Miyabi is not close to being the best knife out there. There are knives that are in the 2000.00+ range. You just collect those. The Miyabi is still on a whole new level compared to a Cuisinart or Master Chef.

Last edited by MG1; 09-25-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #119

Speaking of knives, Willingdon Costco had a bunch of knife sets when I went last a week ago or so, including a Japanese clever set, all of it looked very nice and the one set, I believe it was $249 or 279 for 8 pieces and the butcher block looked like amazing value
Old 09-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #120
MG1

Japanese set, but made in china?

Gulolol........

I rarely go into the kitchenware aisles. I assumed they had like KitchenAid or Zwilling International at best.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #121
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Has anyone seen le creuset mug sets around? Yes, not pots... but mugs.

Saw on some feeds and supposedly from Costco. But I don't recall seeing them in Richmond/Surrey (the 2 I frequent)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #122
MG1

I've seen them at the Willingdon location, but I don't think it was the Le Creuset brand. I was thinking of trying out them ceramic mugs. Corning at McArthur Glen had the Corning ones on sale a while back. Didn't know what they were all about. So many meal mug recipes out there.

https://www.corningware.com/products...ort_order=DESC

Last edited by MG1; 09-26-2020 at 12:31 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #123

Quote:
Wow, my son made roast beef today. Started yesterday using the sous vide. I let him use the Miyabi 800 DP Kiritsuke to slice it with. Damn, that blade cut through like there was nothing there. He was finished in no time flat. Hot knife through butter still takes effort. This was like way easier. The Kiritsuke is a little on the long side, but I purchased it to cut through maguro (tuna). I have to find out how they achieve that starburst, damascus finish.

The Miyabi is not close to being the best knife out there. There are knives that are in the 2000.00+ range. You just collect those. The Miyabi is still on a whole new level compared to a Cuisinart or Master Chef.
$2000 knives? I swear RS is such an odd microcosm of the real world

I have chef buddies that don't own $2k knives, lol. Global at best.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #124
MG1

Quote:

That’s just the starting price. They’re more for collecting. One of a kind, hand made pieces of art. Just check out the thread about watches here on RS. My budget for a good knife was $150.00. So close to it, I just decided to eat Mr. Noodles for awhile.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #125
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:

You forget that people on Revscene make $250,000 in annual household income at minimum. (If need be, read Real Estate thread as proof.)

I don't even want to begin to think of what MG1 receives from his multiple fat pensions and whatnot. He's a thrifty fellow on RS, but his bank accounts (not including offshore accounts,) spending habits, and hobbies are the opposite of that. I think he slipped up today.

Spoiler!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: