REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:14 PM   #676
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
Movies would have you believe that soldiers/generals go into a situation control room here in NA with 20 different screens and point to an area and a missile would be sent to strike.
Advertisement
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #677
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,407 Times in 3,476 Posts
This looks like a video game. Look at the feet 18 sec in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...t_in_mariupol/
Old 03-14-2022, 03:39 PM   #678
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,847 Times in 8,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
This looks like a video game. Look at the feet 18 sec in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...t_in_mariupol/
Incredible! This is what that vehicle looks like with its 30mm gun

Usually not a huge fan of war footage, but when there is so clearly good and evil in a conflict - this is a straight up terrorist invasion - it's nice to see the bad guys getting destroyed.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #679
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Movies would have you believe that soldiers/generals go into a situation control room here in NA with 20 different screens and point to an area and a missile would be sent to strike.
That’s kind of how it works though.

My grandfather on my moms side was a high ranking officer in the UK armed forces, he got invited to a vip tour of the big military base in Vegas and took my dad along. There’s an area there with what are basically sea-cans filled with screens and control panels and this is where a lot of the drone operators dropping bombs abroad work from. Kinda fucked
Old 03-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #680
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
https://heavy.com/news/marina-ovsyannikova/
Marina Ovsyannikova is a Russian TV editor who interrupted a Channel One news broadcast with a sign protesting against the war in Ukraine, leading to her arrest. Ovsyannikova held up a sign reading, “No war,” and yelled, “stop the war,” and “no to war,” during the most-watched news broadcast in Russia, according to The Guardian.

Ovsyannikova’s sign also stated, “Don’t believe the propaganda. They’re lying to you here,” according to The Guardian. She also wrote in English, “Russians against the war.” According to The Guardian, the news anchor, Ekaterina Andreeva, read from a teleprompter in an effort to drown out Ovsyannikova, but her protest was on the air for several seconds before Channel One changed the broadcast to a pre-recorded segment. She was identified on Twitter by OVD-Info, a Russian human rights organization.

President Vladimir Putin and Russian officials passed a law with a potential 15-year prison sentence for going against the government’s official narrative on the country’s invasion of Ukraine. The law prohibits spreading what Putin has deemed “fake news” against Russia’s military. Ovsyannikova could face jail time or fines under that law and also could face punishment for encouraging civil unrest. Protesters across Russia have been arrested for speaking out against the war, according to OVD-Info.

Marina Ovsyannikova was arrested after the protest, TASS, a Russian state-run media organization, said, according to The Guardian. TASS reported Ovsyannikova was being held at the TV station by police and was being interviewed. The state-run news agency also reported she could face charges under the new “fake news” law.

According to an article in The Atlantic, Channel One (Perviy Kanal), is among the most popular and influential Russian state TV channels. Ovsyannikova has worked at the news station for several years, according to her social media profiles.

Cynthia Hooper, a Russia expert at the College of the Holy Cross in Massachusetts, told The Atlantic, “People seem nervous about going off script or even about what, exactly, their script is supposed to be. Whereas previously Channel One might have provided a decent, if unideal, job for a Russian journalist, “now those same positions involve really nothing more than very, very deep complicity in manufacturing stories designed to bolster the Putin regime, fuel popular hatred against purported outsider enemies, and convey support for criminal and destructive government policies.”

Before her protest, Ovsyannikova posted a video on social media explaining her decision to interrupt the news broadcast and encouraging others to speak out against the war in Ukraine. In the video, Ovsyannikova said her father is Ukrainian, while her mother is from Russia, according to translations posted on Twitter.

Ovsyannikova said in the video, “What is happening in Ukraine right now is a crime and Russia is the aggressor country. The responsibility for this aggression lies on the conscience of only one person. This person is Vladimir Putin. My father is Ukrainian, my mother is Russia. They have never been enemies. The necklace on my neck is like a symbol of the need for Russia to immediately stop this fratricidal war. Our brotherly people can still make peace.”

She added, “Unfortunately, for the past years I have worked at Channel One, involved in Kremlin propaganda. I am very ashamed of this. Ashamed because I allowed lies to be told from the TV screen. Ashamed because I allowed the Russian people to be turned into zombies.”

Ovsyannikova continued, “We stayed silent in 2014 when all of this was just starting. We did not go to protests when the Kremlin poisoned Navalny. We just silently observed this. anti-human regime. Right now the whole world has turned away from us. Ten generations of our descendants will not be able to wash the shame of this fratricidal war. We are Russian people. A thinking and smart people. Only we have the power to stop this madness. Go protest. Do not be afraid. They cannot put us all in jail.”

Ovsyannikova, 44, studied at Kuban State University and the Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, according to her Facebook page. She graduated from the Presidential Academy in 2005, she wrote on Facebook.

Ovsyannikova has worked for Russian state television for several years, according to her Instagram page. She previously appeared on-air with Kuban TV. Further information about her career, including her current role with Channel One, was not immediately available.

According to Pavel Chikov, a Russian lawyer and human rights activist, said on Twitter that his organization would be funding and handling Ovsyannikova’s legal defense. Chikov tweeted that lawyers were attempting to locate her after she was detained.

Ovsyannikova lives in Moscow and has two children, a son and daughter, according to her Facebook page. She was born Marina Tkachuk and Ovsyannikova is her married name, but it was not clear from her social media pages if she is still with her husband. According to

On Facebook and on Instagram, she wrote about how her love for Golden Retrievers. A photo shows she and her family raised several puppies and then gave them away for adoption in 2021.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders tweeted, “Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor at a TV channel in Russia, interrupted a live broadcast with a sign that read ‘NO WAR. Stop the war. Don’t believe the propaganda. They’re lying to you here.’ She has since been detained. This is an act of incredible courage.”

Ovsyannikova was a competitive swimmer while in university and in her youth, according to a 2002 interview with Yuga.ru.

She has continued to be an open-water swimmer during her TV career. She says on Facebook that she swam across the Volga and Bosphorus rivers. On Instagram she wrote, “Fitness and swimming on the open water������$♀️ Bosphorus, Volga, Swimstar and Oceanman

An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Mykhailo Podolyak, reposted a video of Ovsyannikova’s protest on Twitter and wrote, “Russia is totally not free. They don’t have free media, political competition, protest rallies. Any protest is a direct road to jail. The more valuable is the act of Marina Ovsyannikova who told a multi-million audience the truth about the devastating war of Russia against.”
Old 03-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #681
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,603 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I think what he more means is how much war has changed fundamentally.

These affordable payload carrying drones change the entire landscape of how war is fought, and how it will be fought in the future.

It really evens the battlefield for countries with smaller GDPs, and the lack of ability to invest in their military in a traditional sense. Some predict this will cause a lot of issues in the future once we start seeing them utilized more broadly in smaller country to country conflicts and civil wars.
The future of defending Canada's north is probably gonna be with drones/robots. Time to start investing. The soldier of the future is gonna look less like GI Joe and more like Team Liquid.

The sad thing is that we'll become desensitized without real humans on the ground seeing the true cost of war and the impact on human lives. People killed and families destroyed like it's a video game.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #682
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
That’s exactly what I mean…. I’m surprised to see tanks/people on the ground…. I’m expecting just drones/artillery. Sure it’s changed, but not nearly as much as I had thought it would.
You can have all the drones, drop as much artillery and bombs as you want, but at the end of the day you still need the boots on the ground to hold the territory.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #683
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,700 Posts
Elon is trolling Putin.

Elon Musk has challenged Russian President Vladimir Putin to single combat on Twitter. The prize: Ukraine.

The Tesla and SpaceX owner issued the challenge via tweet early Monday morning, in what was pretty clearly an effort to troll the Russian president.

It's just the latest in a mix of serious and absurd efforts that Musk has been making to help Ukraine, after Russia invaded the country in late February.

"I hereby challenge Vladimir Putin to single combat. Stakes are Ukraine," Musk tweeted, with Putin's name spelled out in Russian.

He later tweeted directly at the official Kremlin Twitter account asking: "Do you agree to this fight?"

He then told someone else on Twitter: "I am absolutely serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #684

What a dork
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
You can have all the drones, drop as much artillery and bombs as you want, but at the end of the day you still need the boots on the ground to hold the territory.
Yup and Russia is learning you can send in all the tanks in the world, but if there's no infantry to support them, they are pretty much sitting ducks.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:31 PM   #686
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,193 Posts
Putin seems like someone to accept the single combat challenge, cheat, lose, and still claim that he won. Come to think of it, sounds like another former world leader
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #687
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
Does Elon crave attention that bad? Go use some of that money and get a life.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-14-2022, 06:44 PM   #688
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
The first thing that I thought of is -- if Putin becomes really annoyed with Elon Musk, he is just gonna send in some secret agent and discretely feed Musk some sort of radioactive poison to get rid of him.

And he sort of has reason to -- all that Starlink service that he has sent over to Ukraine -- it's ruining his propaganda game and allowing Ukrainians to post up all those war videos.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:20 PM   #689

russian yachts scrambling.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #690

They should turn them all into housing for Ukrainian refugees

The idea is to sell them for funding for them, but I don't know if there's enough disgusting rich people to buy them all
Old 03-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #691
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
The future of defending Canada's north is probably gonna be with drones/robots. Time to start investing. The soldier of the future is gonna look less like GI Joe and more like Team Liquid.

The sad thing is that we'll become desensitized without real humans on the ground seeing the true cost of war and the impact on human lives. People killed and families destroyed like it's a video game.
Canada needs to invest in signal scrambling devices, so drones and whathaveyou will no longer respond to commands sent to them.

Better yet, intercept the command signals and have drones fly back to where they came from and destroy the bases.

Detonate or neutralize nuclear warheads within seconds of being launched.
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #692

Thanked 8,959 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

The idea is to sell them for funding for them, but I don't know if there's enough disgusting rich people to buy them all
There might be, but the kind of rich knobs who can afford to buy and maintain those things (supposedly they cost ~10% of their build price per year in maintenance) don't seem like the kind of people who would buy used.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

The running costs of those yatchs is crazy. You are looking at millions a year. Some 40 to 50 mill a year. I wonder who is paying for that right now. You also have a bunch that are in mid construction. They shipyards have to stop working on them if they are being built for a Russian but can't move them to start another project because they are so large there is no place to store them.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #694
My homepage has been set to RS

https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...someones_hand/

that's how the war starts
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by danned View Post
OMG what a loser! Even Kim Fucken Jong Un doesn't want to shake his hand!
Old 03-14-2022, 11:14 PM   #696
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Joker's Joy Buzzer.
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #697

drones and missiles cost a lot of money

old ass tanks and young bodies from mother russia, not so much
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #698
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,700 Posts
Zelensky pleads with MPs during a virtual meeting with Parliament for a NATO no fly zone.

I do not think that a NATO enforced no fly zone is gonna "fly".

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...iament-speech/

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made history on Tuesday addressing the Canadian Parliament and pleading for continued support amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In his virtual speech in the House of Commons, Zelenskyy asked Canadians to imagine if their country was under a similar attack.

“Can you imagine the famous CN Tower in Toronto if it was hit by Russian bombs?” asked Zelenskyy during his address. “Every night is a horrible night.”

The House of Commons was full for the first time in two years with most MPs there in person and dozens of invited guests in the public galleries.

The Ukrainian president acknowledged and thanked Canada for their assistance and aid in recent weeks. Zelenskyy continued to make his pitch to NATO allies to enforce a no-fly zone, asking Canadians to imagine if they were facing Russian missile attacks.

“We are not asking for much. We’re asking for justice, for real support,” he said.

Canada, along with other allies have denied the request for a no fly zone out of fears it will lead to an escalation of war in Europe.

“Volodymyr, in the years I’ve known you, I’ve always thought of you as a champion of democracy, and now democracies around the world are lucky to have you as our champion,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in a short introduction before the president spoke.

“Your courage and the courage of your people inspires us all.”

Trudeau also announced sanctions against 15 more Russian officials during his introductory speech for the Ukrainian President.

“Ukrainians are already paying incalculable human costs. This illegal and unnecessary war is a grave mistake. Putin must stop it now,” Trudeau said.

During his address, Zelenskky said the sanctions imposed so far have not been enough and to deter Russia and encouraged more measures to ensure it cannot continue to support its war effort.

Trudeau announced that Canada will send another $50 million of specialized equipment to help Ukraine while visiting Europe last week. He also imposed new sanctions on Russian oligarchs, government officials and supporters of the country’s leadership.

Canada has also committed $145 million in humanitarian assistance to Ukraine in 2022 and created new immigration measures to help people fleeing the war.

Shortly after Zelenskyy’s address, it was confirmed Trudeau, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly, and Defence Minister Anita Anand were placed on a list of Canadians banned from Russia. Their names were included in a list of banned foreigners on the Russian embassy’s website.

Last edited by pastarocket; 03-15-2022 at 11:11 AM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #699

Thanked 4,637 Times in 1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post

That's the primary thing people in the foreign policy community are worried about.

If you're Ethiopia and you're at war with Eritrea -- traditionally you would need to send physical troops and equipment to attack your enemy. If now you can simply fly a cheap drone and bomb a building or installation without any risk to your troops, you'll do it.

This can and will lead to more proxy wars between countries utilizing drones against one another, also putting more civilian lives in danger as a result (easy to attack towns and cities across borders without sending troops).

We're already seeing this happen in Africa in countries that don't carry a real air-force of any kind, but are able to acquire these drones to utilize on civilians and their enemies.

It's scary stuff.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #700

Thanked 4,637 Times in 1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Zelensky pleads with MPs during a virtual meeting with Parliament for a NATO no fly zone.

I do not think that a NATO enforced no fly zone is gonna "fly".

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...iament-speech/

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made history on Tuesday addressing the Canadian Parliament and pleading for continued support amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In his virtual speech in the House of Commons, Zelenskyy asked Canadians to imagine if their country was under a similar attack.

“Can you imagine the famous CN Tower in Toronto if it was hit by Russian bombs?” asked Zelenskyy during his address. “Every night is a horrible night.”

The House of Commons was full for the first time in two years with most MPs there in person and dozens of invited guests in the public galleries.

The Ukrainian president acknowledged and thanked Canada for their assistance and aid in recent weeks. Zelenskyy continued to make his pitch to NATO allies to enforce a no-fly zone, asking Canadians to imagine if they were facing Russian missile attacks.

“We are not asking for much. We’re asking for justice, for real support,” he said.

Canada, along with other allies have denied the request for a no fly zone out of fears it will lead to an escalation of war in Europe.

“Volodymyr, in the years I’ve known you, I’ve always thought of you as a champion of democracy, and now democracies around the world are lucky to have you as our champion,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in a short introduction before the president spoke.

“Your courage and the courage of your people inspires us all.”

Trudeau also announced sanctions against 15 more Russian officials during his introductory speech for the Ukrainian President.

“Ukrainians are already paying incalculable human costs. This illegal and unnecessary war is a grave mistake. Putin must stop it now,” Trudeau said.

During his address, Zelenskky said the sanctions imposed so far have not been enough and to deter Russia and encouraged more measures to ensure it cannot continue to support its war effort.

Trudeau announced that Canada will send another $50 million of specialized equipment to help Ukraine while visiting Europe last week. He also imposed new sanctions on Russian oligarchs, government officials and supporters of the country’s leadership.

Canada has also committed $145 million in humanitarian assistance to Ukraine in 2022 and created new immigration measures to help people fleeing the war.

Shortly after Zelenskyy’s address, it was confirmed Trudeau, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly, and Defence Minister Anita Anand were placed on a list of Canadians banned from Russia. Their names were included in a list of banned foreigners on the Russian embassy’s website.
We seem to have unlimited funds to send over there.

Every time I see a new headline of billions in aid money and weaponry being sent to Ukraine by NATO countries makes me wonder where it's all truly going.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: