REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #876
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
Who else has more military bases around the world than US? Imagine if China built a military base in Vancouver what do you think US would do. Like I said earlier I think this is the ploy to try to keep US influence dominance. Why else are they poking Taiwan. They are trying to cause instability in Asia.
Advertisement
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #877
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Who else has more military bases around the world than US? Imagine if China built a military base in Vancouver what do you think US would do. Like I said earlier I think this is the ploy to try to keep US influence dominance. Why else are they poking Taiwan. They are trying to cause instability in Asia.
Shut the fuck up, Jesus. We're not discussing the US here, and contrary to what you're trying to project, the world doesn't revolve around the US.

This is what happens when you get your world history from YouTube.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #878
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Baltic countries: "Can we join NATO? we're really scared of Russia"
Russia: "If you try to join NATO we will invade you"

Fears confirmed!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #879
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,291 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
For the record, it isn't the US poking Taiwan or trying to stir up instability in Asia. It is Pooh Bear that has this delusional grand dream of unifying China, through military means if necessary, and the US is just responding to that.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #880
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
This is likely unpopular, but i think NATO and to a large extent, the US, pushed Russia into this wacko ass position.
Couldn't disagree with this more. Read up on the history of NATO, the fall of the USSR, and the rise of Putin and their concurrent timelines.

NATO was formed post WWII as a result of the fuckwit Soviet Communists not relinquishing the territory it 'liberated' from the Nazi's. When the USSR and Warsaw Pact fell in '91 NATO drew down forces in Europe dramatically closing many many bases and sending hundreds of thousands of foreign troops home, Canadians included. I was born on a Cold War Canadian posting in Germany.

A LCol with the KGB in East Germany, Putin went on to head the FSB under Yeltzin and was then appointed PM when he stepped down. Putin has effectively been the head of state of Russia since '99 and in that time he has crushed and murdered political dissenters and rivals, prevented free elections, prevented free press, and prevented an open society and economy. His reign has been rife with corruption and human rights abuses so that he can enrich himself, he doesn't care about the Russian people. His continued build up of arms and bullshit rhetoric is what started bringing NATO forces back up, the organization exists solely to counter his aggression. His illegal annexation of Crimea in 2014 is what prompted NATO to start training and supplying the Ukrainian military.

Putin is a senile egomaniac of failing health that's living in the past and he's taking his whole country down with him in the name of that ego. Russia has an ageing population and a negative birthrate, and Putin has already gotten almost 50,000 young Russian men killed in a matter of months. Now he's calling up reserves and more conscripts to throw in to the meat grinder. Many of the Russian training battalions were already sent to the front and destroyed. This has the potential to be another Stalingrad where untrained, barely equipped, and barely supplied men are ordered forward or face prison and/or execution by their own country. Except the Russian role is reversed this time and tens of thousands more young men will be killed for a politicians ego.

Honestly this could end Russia as we know it. The social consequences are one thing but the economic are another. If full blown war is declared Europe will suffer greatly with energy issues but it will survive, Russia however will lose it's primary economic driver and crash entirely. '91 all over again. Fuck Vladimir Putin, this is 100% on him.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #881
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For the record, it isn't the US poking Taiwan or trying to stir up instability in Asia. It is Pooh Bear that has this delusional grand dream of unifying China, through military means if necessary, and the US is just responding to that.
Americans are pretty much throwing everything including the kitchen sink to deny China access to advanced chips in order to keep its lead in tech. This is why they're banning Nvidia and AMD flagship AI chips to China. You think they're there to prevent China's dominance in the pineapple cake market? As long as TSMC exists, there's always a reason for them to stick around.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #882
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
We had our friend over last month who had been living in Russia the last 10 years. He lived in Moscow, I asked him generally speaking what was the opinion of the people there about the war. He said everyone he knows does not support it, that said when confronted with punishment for not abiding with conscripts I'm not sure people in general would stand up.

He's been trying to get his wife into Canada for the last 6 months, a Visa process that normally takes 2-3 weeks is obviously slowed, he's frustrated. He's an English teacher and he's still working remotely but all his money is stuck in Russia, he can't get it out. We joked how his wife is living high with all his money that he had saved, continues to earn but can't get out of the Country due to the military action in Ukraine.
She'll probably need to cross a land border and fly from another country now, since there's a mass exodus and airlines are all booked. He's lucky he's not with her now, because he wouldn't be allowed to leave as of yesterday, and wouldn't be able to buy a flight if there was one available

Good luck to them and every normal person in Russia
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:11 PM   #883

Quote:
This is likely unpopular, but i think NATO and to a large extent, the US, pushed Russia into this wacko ass position.

Remember cuban missile crisis? they were only attempting to put ICBMS in Cuba and the US flipped their shit. How many ICBMs are in turkey and directly pointed at Moscow? i get that everyone needs breathing room, but Putin's batshit crazy antics are the result of this western push thats constantly eating away russia's sphere of influence. Ukraine pivoting towards the west was probably the final straw that broke his ego.

If anyone puts ICBMs in latin america and pointed them towards the US you dont think there will be an outright war? i guarantee the US wont stand for it.

Putin doesnt really have a choice here. defend his outdated world views of the USSR resurgence, or let everything fall into western hands.

Although this Chinese/Indian/Pakistan/Russian alliance bs they are trying to make happen has all the markings of a Orwellian apocalypse. Good thing they all hate each other or else this might blow the fuck up even more.
NATO is not expansionist, they are defensive. Putin is literally justifying their existence with his actions. He's already taken a part of Ukraine and got away with it, and now he wants the whole thing. It's not like NATO was trying to take over Russia.

Now he's about to annex Ukraine in order to make that claim. Do you believe him?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #884
in the butt

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,180 Posts
As much as I don't like Putler

I would believe Putler over anything the USA has to say

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #885
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
NATO is not expansionist, they are defensive. Putin is literally justifying their existence with his actions. He's already taken a part of Ukraine and got away with it, and now he wants the whole thing. It's not like NATO was trying to take over Russia.

Now he's about to annex Ukraine in order to make that claim. Do you believe him?
it is and it isnt. there's always 2 sides to each conflict and I believe that if NATO didnt expand (not purposely, but ex soviet countries requesting to join and they in turn letting them in) then putin wouldnt have the rhetoric he needs to fuel this bullshit. Although im pretty sure he's just trying to restore the USSR and that starts with regaining Ukraine.

I agree this is 100% on him, hes the nutjob here. But in many respects the west wasnt exactly helping the situation by letting all the ex soviet bloc countries into NATO and moving the boundaries almost to his door step.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #886
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

Well, it kinda is...in the same way the UN was "expansionist". But rightly or wrongly, from Putin's point of view an organization that was created to contain the Soviet Union is something he must fight against.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #887

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Yeah but NATO is something countries voluntarily join, they aren't invading these countries being like HEY FUCKO JOIN NATO OR YOUR FUCKED.
There's no correlation between what skinny means by expansionist in the context of Putin and the context of NATO.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #888
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,396 Times in 5,090 Posts
This is true, but there’s a passive aggressive element to it… no question Putin needs to fuck off but if your perspective is Russian one might understand how they feel that the rest of Europe / the world is “ganging up on them” especially with all their controlled media.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #889

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
One person that should know thats not the case however, is the person in charge of the "special operation" since they are the one deciding on the media narrative, not being influenced by it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Well, it kinda is...in the same way the UN was "expansionist". But rightly or wrongly, from Putin's point of view an organization that was created to contain the Soviet Union is something he must fight against.

This chart tells you what you need to know about the former Soviet Union, and it's not saying that "NATO is expansionist" when these countries voluntarily join them. Especially now that Putin has proven them to be right in making that choice.

If they hadn't joined, this exact thing we're seeing today would have happened 20 years ago. In fact it did happen with Crimea
Old 09-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #891
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Kind of victim blaming though. These small nations, some recently free of communist rule in the 90's, are in no place to defend themselves against an aggressor the size of Russia. Putin creates the problems with policy, threats, and intimidation (military incursions in to ADIZ and maritime borders for example) so they ask for outside help. NATO says sure, Putin blames the West and says Europe is ganging up on Russia Then he goes and demonstrates exactly why NATO needed to exist when he annexes Crimea and fuels insurgency in Eastern Ukraine thus repeating Stalin type tactics from the 40's and 50's. Don't forget Stalin heavily supported the Chinese and North Koreans in their attempt to retake the Korean Peninsula.

Russia had the opportunity to be a wealthy modern nation with its oil industry and opening up its economy post Iron Curtain. Putin was at the helm and he's ruined that opportunity for all Russian people so he could enrich himself and feed his own ego. He never let go of the Cold War.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:26 PM   #892

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Yeah, I'm not really sure what's being implied here? That we should have told Poland, Latvia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania etc. "Sorry guys, Russia will be too upset if you join us, you're on your own".

One could argue that "warsaw pact" was imposed on countries against their will by the USSR, while their decision to join NATO was wholly democratic in nature. Katyn Massacre anyone?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 09-21-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #893
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
putin wouldnt have the rhetoric he needs to fuel this bullshit.
He'd just make up something else instead. He knows as well as we do that it's complete bs.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure what's being implied here? That we should have told Poland, Latvia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania etc. "Sorry guys, Russia will be too upset if you join us, you're on your own".

One could argue that "warsaw pact" was imposed on countries against their will by the USSR, while their decision to join NATO was wholly democratic in nature. Katyn Massacre anyone?
I guess that’s what I’m saying. Although I’m conflicted in saying that. Sounds easy in our western ivory tower. But letting these nations in to join the mutual defence treaty against their old boss is going to destabilize the region sooner or later. When has mutual defence alliances do anything but cause global issues (ie WW1)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #895
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,396 Times in 5,090 Posts
News comes on showing the top stories

Trump and his lies and NY charges against him blah blah blah....

Putin and his crazy...

Seriously why can't they both just die. I never ever wish that on anyone but... good lord I'd make an exception in these 2 cases... life would be so much better never having to hear about them again.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
News comes on showing the top stories

Trump and his lies and NY charges against him blah blah blah....

Putin and his crazy...

Seriously why can't they both just die. I never ever wish that on anyone but... good lord I'd make an exception in these 2 cases... life would be so much better never having to hear about them again.
They literally make the world a worse place, specifically (and very intentionally) the US. They can both kick rocks as far as I'm concerned
Old 09-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #897
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
When you hold ALT and press F4 on your keyboard, the world becomes a better place
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2022, 10:07 PM   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
When you hold ALT and press F4 on your keyboard, the world becomes a better place
That's suggesting that ignoring a problem means it no longer exists
Old 09-22-2022, 12:13 AM   #899
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,291 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Americans are pretty much throwing everything including the kitchen sink to deny China access to advanced chips in order to keep its lead in tech. This is why they're banning Nvidia and AMD flagship AI chips to China. You think they're there to prevent China's dominance in the pineapple cake market? As long as TSMC exists, there's always a reason for them to stick around.
You don't need to remind me the slow chokehold that the US is applying on China. I am quite familiar with them, all the way through from how Blinken started the "rule-based order" to the Trump days when the 45th started slapping tarrifs on China.

But lemme ask you this -- why would supporting Taiwan be equivalent to stirring up instability in Asia? If Pooh Bear has no ambition to do a hostile takeover of Taiwan, none of the US military support (for TW) nor the semiconductor bans would have taken place.

The US is providing a lot of technological and military support for Ukraine against Russia too. Would you also call that a US example of how it is trying to exercise / expand its influence or dominance in Europe?

The circumstances between Ukraine and Taiwan share quite a bit of similarities, and what the World is doing with China right now is -- they are applying their painfully learned lessons in Ukraine in the hopes that the same violent, bloody, and tragic stories that are happening in Ukraine wouldn't happen again to Taiwan in the future. It isn't a show for the US to demonstrate its reach, influence, or dominance.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:33 AM   #900

You can add Pooh bear and yray North Korean style to that list of idiots
Who need to go as well.

I don’t know why he sees it as his mission to reunify China. Fuck that shit. There are much much more important matters of state to deal with than bringing tawian to heel. Like How about lowering corruption, improving the faltering economy, environmental concerns and improving the public image of Chinese people globally.

Just as our people is stepping back onto the global Stage and we finally aren’t a poor back water nation , fuck bear here is trying to make us look like a petty bunch of warmongers
This post thanked by: