REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #10951
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,912 Posts
Looks like it may be correction day.
Advertisement
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #10952
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,414 Posts
Sucks for the inexperienced investor/trader who may be taking a hit. All they see on WSB are the gains shared but who's gonna own up to their losses to show the other side of the coin?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #10953
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
i'm sick to my stomach at the fact that a brokerage can manipulate the market in this way! even if i make it out just fine i may never trust brokerages fully again.

somehow GME is still up, but they were up over 500 overnight at one point. still higher than yday tho, lets see how the day plays out.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 05:57 AM   #10954
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

AMC/BB/NOK all doing not much while GME continues to power up

looks like everyone is just jumping on the GME train
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:01 AM   #10955
RS controls my life!

I think some of you guys are still conflating the very small minority of institutional investors (ie. hedge funds with small AUM) that were caught in this squeeze with the rest of the institutional investors that don't really care whether GME goes to the moon or these shorts get owned. Prior to GME's price increase, GME's market cap was less than two billion since 2018 which makes the company too small for most of the asset managers to build an active position on, let alone have a short position. Funds that focus on small caps like GME are a niche segment of the industry. I'll agree that there is a bit of hysteria in the media crying about how GME shouldn't be valued at X according to street analysts and this is all non-sense blah blah blah... but I think this is coming from the human instinct that you feel when the rules that you operated on for so long are disrupted. But trust me, the majority of the actual investors, not the media, are watching GME from the sidelines and enjoying how it is playing out. This type of stuff is really interesting and a learning opportunity not just for wsb-ers but for anyone who is into market dynamics.

But let's be clear... pump and dump schemes have always existed. Usually it happens with penny stocks and not at the scale of what's happening with GME, but the usual recipe goes: make a reasonable fundamental case for why the company should be valued higher -> small group builds a position with enough capital to get the stock price moving (easiest to do with penny stocks) -> start spreading the 'word' out there -> as momentum builds, more people join -> people start taking profits -> stock falls to where it was before. What makes this situation unique is the element of short squeeze and the rate at which wsb was able to promote and recruit fellow investors.

On celebs like mark cuban and chamath chiming in on this situation... I think the general public has been screwed and jaded by wall street for so long that they just want anything to stick it to them so bad. So some of this commentary is warranted but to say that this is all awesome and not in anyway harmful for the average retail investors is not true. Chamath brought up a story on cnbc yesterday mentioning how someone was able to pay off their student loans with the GME gains. That's all nice but what if that same person bought into the hype at the peak and lost the majority of their capital and now can't pay their mortgage? Of course, during an euphoric rise, its impossible for anyone to lose money but momentum based bubbles are nothing new and we know what happens on the way down. But neither chamath or cuban addressed this point and only focused on how the retail is winning a fight against ws right now. Chamath also raised a good point about how retail investor community like wsb has more edge now. But with increased power should come with more regulations. There are a lot of rules about what banks and institutional investors can or cannot say in their prospectus material to promote their investments. Likewise, wsb shouldn't be just promoting GME with "YOLO we ridin this rocket to the moon, HOLD" without any adequate disclaimer about the risks involved.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #10956
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Today's gonna be a long day. Been in a SPAC for the past two years, it went public today...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #10957
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Run is looking to be over. Be careful folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Today's gonna be a long day. Been in a SPAC for the past two years, it went public today...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Which SPAC? I'm looking into new plays since GME saga is over.

I'm currently in BTWN, BTNB, and SVFA.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #10958

All the students on CERB and frat boys running out of money to pump into GME. Some will get caught without a chair when the music stops. But probably their rich daddy's money to begin with anyhow.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #10959
Need to Seek Professional Help

They haven't run out of money to pump GME. They aren't allowed to buy, only sell. It's disgusting.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #10960

BB coming back down to earth now at $18.15 ... from like $30. But at least BB had some fundamentals and it is a good hold for the long run.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #10961
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
They haven't run out of money to pump GME. They aren't allowed to buy, only sell. It's disgusting.
well think about it from a retail broker's perspective... if GME comes crashing down, and a ton of people lose their savings and starts crying about how the brokerages just stood by and let it all happen... I can see why private enterprises don't want to take that risk. I'd agree that its bad if these platforms banned selling as well. You don't lose money from losing an opportunity to buy.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #10962

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
well think about it from a retail broker's perspective... if GME comes crashing down, and a ton of people lose their savings and starts crying about how they brokerages just stood by and let it all happen... I can see why private enterprises don't want to take that risk. I'd agree if these platforms banned selling as well. You don't lose money from losing an opportunity to buy.
Are you actually justifying brokerages NOT allowing people the freedom to buy a stock?
Old 01-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #10963
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
I jumped on the bandwagon this morning when the market opened on NOK, NAKD, AMC and GME and I'm taking a bit hit right now. I knew it was a lottery ticket and it was disposable. But still hurts a lot, I won't lie!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #10964
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Are you actually justifying brokerages NOT allowing people the freedom to buy a stock?
You do know these are private enterprises right? Does the charter of rights say you have a right to buy whatever stocks you want using their platform?

Its the same argument as I have right to say anything I want on Twitter. Nope, you dont.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #10965

Quote:
You do know these are private enterprises right? Does the charter of rights say you have a right to buy whatever stocks you want using their platform?

Its the same argument as I have right to say anything I want on Twitter. Nope, you dont.
Wow. Sorry dude. I'm speechless. How ironic.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #10966
RS controls my life!

Lol what is the irony? So I guess its also unethical for the exchanges to use circuit breakers denying the ability for people to profit infinitely? Not sure why you're so surprised that brokers are stepping in to promote market stability. That's always been the case.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #10967
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Can you still buy GME on questrade or did they restrict buying as well?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #10968
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Quote:
Lol what is the irony? So I guess its also unethical for the exchanges to use circuit breakers denying the ability for people to profit infinitely? Not sure why you're so surprised that brokers are stepping in to promote market stability. That's always been the case.
... uh... cuz they don't institute the same rules when it's in the favour of large capital corps? Robinhood for example is owned by Citadel, which was getting pounded to shit for their shorts on GME... the only irony here is that a trading platform named after someone who takes from the rich and gives to the poor changed the rules to make sure the rich don't lose any more money. How bout dat?

Also fitting that the GME rocket has exploded on the anniversary of the Challenger shuttle launch
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #10969
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
... uh... cuz they don't institute the same rules when it's in the favour of large capital corps? Robinhood for example is owned by Citadel, which was getting pounded to shit for their shorts on GME... the only irony here is that a trading platform named after someone who takes from the rich and gives to the poor changed the rules to make sure the rich don't lose any more money. How bout dat?

Also fitting that the GME rocket has exploded on the anniversary of the Challenger shuttle launch
First of all Robinhood has never been a gold standard for ethical behavior. You can look up their history prior to this. Second, Robinhood doesn't have large intuitional investors as their clients so you can't really say Robinhood is letting large intuitional traders buy GME while forbidding their retail clients. Third, the market exchanges themselves did not ban retail investors from buying GME, it was a private enterprise's decision to forbid their clients. Last time I checked, I can still buy GME on Questrade albeit I didn't actually send in an order so I don't know if the order would be filled.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #10970

Ironically, if GME has hit peak and price is going to fall off the cliff, isn't this a good time to short? When fund managers short, is there a specified time frame, like a day or a few days or a week?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:04 AM   #10971
RS controls my life!

@Alpine, Just to be clear... I don't have any qualms about you finding it disgusting that Robinhood is not letting their clients buy GME anymore. All I'm saying is, I understand why Robinhood, as a private enterprise, is implicitly saying they would rather lose you as a client than let you participate in GME bubble and risk being at the center of a future scandal if this ever leads into one. Retail investors can always vote with their money and move to another platform.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #10972
Performance Moderator

Quote:
@Alpine, Just to be clear... I don't have any qualms about you finding it disgusting that Robinhood is not letting their clients buy GME anymore. All I'm saying is, I understand why Robinhood, as a private enterprise, is implicitly saying they would rather lose you as a client than let you participate in GME bubble and risk being at the center of a future scandal if this ever leads into one. Retail investors can always vote with their money and move to another platform.
Come on, how long does it take to verify and open an account on another platform and then transfer funds in? This is a targeted attack at the largest retail trading platform to force a multi-day closure on a movement.

Stop being so obtuse.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #10973
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Come on, how long does it take to verify and open an account on another platform and then transfer funds in? This is a targeted attack at the largest retail trading platform to force a multi-day closure on a movement.

Stop being so obtuse.
So are you suggesting that the only ethical path forward for Robinhood is to allow people to keep participating in GME bubble until it solves itself out? If politicians or regulators start asking question about why they didn't take any action to prevent thousands of people losing their savings, can Robinhood just simply pass on the blame to their clients?
Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #10974
Performance Moderator

It's a free market economy isn't it? Except when it isn't, and the only time they restrict something is when it's happening in a way the 1% don't like? They didn't have any problems when the market crashed in 10 years ago letting everyone get fucked.

Who requires a trading platform to prevent people from losing money? It's never happened before, millions of people lose money every day... does Robinhood have to explain to a treasury board why?

Whatever man, you believe what you want... if you think the banking system is there to take care of people and help them you obviously work for one. Have at it.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #10975
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
So are you suggesting that the only ethical path forward for Robinhood is to allow people to keep participating in GME bubble until it solves itself out? If politicians or regulators start asking question about why they didn't take any action to prevent thousands of people losing their savings, can Robinhood just simply pass on the blame to their clients?
Yes. People who trade are adults, let them do what they want.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote