REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #10976
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Citadel is an investor in Melvin Capital. Citadel is also Robinhood's biggest customer. But yeah it's definitely the little guy they're trying to protect.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #10977
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
If people just buy and hold. Stock price xouldngonfrom 1k to 5k to 10k!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #10978
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
When you deposit your money into a platform such as Robin Hood, no one goes in thinking they are going to be FORCED to move positions in a way that the company sees fit..pretty fucking gross tbh
Old 01-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #10979
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
@Alpine, Just to be clear... I don't have any qualms about you finding it disgusting that Robinhood is not letting their clients buy GME anymore. All I'm saying is, I understand why Robinhood, as a private enterprise, is implicitly saying they would rather lose you as a client than let you participate in GME bubble and risk being at the center of a future scandal if this ever leads into one. Retail investors can always vote with their money and move to another platform.
It's an extremely slippery slope and society continues to give up one inch at a time and the establishment keeps taking a mile. I understand how this whole GME thing could be seen as stock manipulation, but why is the establishment only addressing it from one perspective? (Rhetorical question, the answer is obvious). To your point about moving to another platform. Isn't that what they said about Parler? But that got blocked from all app stores.
I understand how you can rationalize this, given that it's a private app or service (just like the other brokerages that are preventing people from buying). But this is something much larger than a restaurant restricting someone from seating someone without shoes or a shirt.
The more we rationalize moments like this, the more normalized it becomes.

This isn't restricted to Robinhood. There are many other platforms that have restricted users from buying these WSB stocks.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #10980
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It's a free market economy isn't it? Except when it isn't, and the only time they restrict something is when it's happening in a way the 1% don't like? They didn't have any problems when the market crashed in 10 years ago letting everyone get fucked.

Who requires a trading platform to prevent people from losing money? It's never happened before, millions of people lose money every day... does Robinhood have to explain to a treasury board why?

Whatever man, you believe what you want... if you think the banking system is there to take care of people and help them you obviously work for one. Have at it.
I always believed that our economy is rules-based free market and not a complete free market. I think you and I can both agree that smaller guys would have zero chance of survival in a true free market. Rules also have to adapt to the changes in our market. I would rather support more regulations against the institutional players to make the playing field more level as opposed to the stance of: hey you let the big guys do a,b,c so let us retail investors do x,y,z.

And I get where you're coming from about the market crash and the bailout during 08-09. I also agree that the banks didn't pay a full price for screwing over the taxpayers. But the business of subprime lending and commercialization of mortgage-backed securities back then really has nothing to do with the business of retail brokerage which we are talking about right now. There was nothing that Robinhood could have done to prevent those activities from occurring even if they existed back then. Maybe you are using the term banking system loosely, and some like to think of the finance industry as a giant homogenous blob of establishment. But in reality there is a full spectrum and factions to the capital markets and its not just establishment looking out for another establishment. In fact, it would be practically hard to define which market participant is an establishment and who is not.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #10981
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts

Last edited by finbar; 01-28-2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: pics won't load, operator error probs
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #10982
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i'll try to write this so it makes sense:

now that the price on these stock has been manipulated so much, would these funds that were shorting them have used this lowered price opportunity to cover their shorts therefore reducing the whole "fuck the shorts" game?

hopefully someone understands what i'm trying to say
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #10983
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Last edited by zyzzjr; 06-12-2021 at 06:06 PM.
zyzzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #10984
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i'll try to write this so it makes sense:

now that the price on these stock has been manipulated so much, would these funds that were shorting them have used this lowered price opportunity to cover their shorts therefore reducing the whole "fuck the shorts" game?

hopefully someone understands what i'm trying to say
I get what you're saying... and yes it would be quite mastermindish for them to lose billions on their shorts, then create a buying limitation to induce another short to profit off a new set of shorts and cover their losses while making everyone who caused their pain lose all their money... and then to claim that they did it in the interest of protecting the public from losses.

It would be beautiful if it wasn't so corrupt.

Does anyone think it's going to lose like crazy today and tomorrow... but as people spend today and the weekend opening up accounts on new platforms that aren't currently corrupted it will resume on Monday?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #10985
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
i think its just gonna barely hold on today and tomorrow we might see some activity. if it survives till monday then things will get very interesting!
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #10986
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassAction...r_information/

i know it's not proven but:

"I work for Robinhood. Don't kill me.

Low-level, technical shit, comp sciences major, not finance side.

Guess what we overhead today?

Vladimir, yes founder Vladimir, and the C-Suite, received calls from Sequoia Capital and the White House that pressured into closing trading on GME etc. I guarantee you the same took place at E-Trade and the others who closed trading.

File reports on the SEC page. If I wasn't scared to be out of work in a pandemic I'd quit. I'm disgusted. We all need to rise up, this is as bad as it gets when we talk about how the rich get one set of rules, and the rest of us get screwed �� over, and over, and over again left to bail them out and pick up the tab for their trillion dollar tax breaks. We need to pile pressure on every government and financial institution involved in this travesty of justice.

I'm taking a massive career risk even posting here but fuck these motherfuckers."
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #10987
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassAction...r_information/

i know it's not proven but:

"I work for Robinhood. Don't kill me.

Low-level, technical shit, comp sciences major, not finance side.

Guess what we overhead today?

Vladimir, yes founder Vladimir, and the C-Suite, received calls from Sequoia Capital and the White House that pressured into closing trading on GME etc. I guarantee you the same took place at E-Trade and the others who closed trading.

File reports on the SEC page. If I wasn't scared to be out of work in a pandemic I'd quit. I'm disgusted. We all need to rise up, this is as bad as it gets when we talk about how the rich get one set of rules, and the rest of us get screwed �� over, and over, and over again left to bail them out and pick up the tab for their trillion dollar tax breaks. We need to pile pressure on every government and financial institution involved in this travesty of justice.

I'm taking a massive career risk even posting here but fuck these motherfuckers."
If that is real, it will be wild but its way too hard to believe... For a company that has over 1000 employees, the founder takes important phone calls from the White House in such a way that the "low level tech staff" can overhear the dialogue? The founder can't even close the door so that a low level tech can't overhear? and by White House, is he implying Biden is now involved?
Not saying it can't happen but lol...
Old 01-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #10988
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
https://twitter.com/justinkan/status...3920762253315?

Quote:
Just got a tip that Citadel reloaded their shorts before they told Robinhood to stop trading $GME.

If this is true, Ken Griffin and the Robinhood founders should be in jail.

This is class warfare.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #10989
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
If that is real, it will be wild but its way too hard to believe... For a company that has over 1000 employees, the founder takes important phone calls from the White House in such a way that the "low level tech staff" can overhear the dialogue? The founder can't even close the door so that a low level tech can't overhear? and by White House, is he implying Biden is now involved?
Not saying it can't happen but lol...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassAction...ation/gl4f1p7/
Old 01-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #10990

Latest explanation from Chamath:

https://twitter.com/chamath/status/1...523997697?s=20
Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #10991
RS controls my life!

I agree that there is a conflict of interest since Citadel is a client of Robinhood for their data but the presence of that conflict of interest alone isn't an evidence that Robinhood colluded with Citadel. I'd be interested to see if there are any tangible evidence. Perhaps an investigation from SEC or congress is the only way to get to the bottom of it.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #10992
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,912 Posts
GME down to $230 ... a loss of $117. if you shorted from yesterday to today, you could also be a millionaire. Either way, people win.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #10993
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
GME $260 after hours
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #10994
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Congress might be looking into this

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #10995

Robinhood is going to be turned into a scapegoat while the people behind the scenes will likely get away again. I hope this doesn't happen but I don't like the narrative that Robinhood is the primary culprit in all of this. They need to be punished since they're the intermediary, but the ones pulling the strings behind the scenes are the ones that truly need to be brought to justice.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #10996
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
GME $260 after hours
The corruption is going to backfire on them now that people can buy again

They just incentivized people to go all in on this. Like ACTUALLY all in
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #10997
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
I got caught up in the hype and bought a bunch at market opening, when it was high, then watched my portfolio crumble all day. I'm down about 30% at market close. Here's hoping for tomorrow to recover some of it. TO THE MOON LOL
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #10998

https://twitter.com/vladtenev/status...979530241?s=20

Be cautious. Robinhood (and others, i'm sure) will only allow "limited" trading. It's just a PR stunt but we all know what that means after today.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #10999
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
My GME play already went 400% and I pull out yesterday. After the fuckery they did today.

I'm going back in tomorrow. Don't care about the gains, what they are doing is bullshit.

This is the real occupy wall street movement.

Honestly all it takes is for everyone of us to pitch in and buy one share and disable lending.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #11000
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I got caught up in the hype and bought a bunch at market opening, when it was high, then watched my portfolio crumble all day. I'm down about 30% at market close. Here's hoping for tomorrow to recover some of it. TO THE MOON LOL
You're not alone. Took my profits from one of my other stocks and boarded the hype train bright and early. Profits are gone. I went in eyes open though, knowing that risk was there so I'm not too upset about it. No risk no reward.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: