REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #11176
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Nah nothing like GME at all just a classic company that has a bright future scenario.
My friend has been talking about ZOM for months now since he got in when they were not even 50c.

I don't usually do pennies, so I didn't go in with him.

Now I'm thinking of throwing some into it since they just did an offering at $1.9

Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #11177
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
My friend has options for ZOM that went over 10x today.
Where did he buy options? I don't see any available for ZOM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #11178
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:

Now I'm thinking of throwing some into it since they just did an offering at $1.9

I'm sure you know this, but typically offerings have restriction like no trading till x date but it can also have warrants sooooo that's a good move if you're bullish on ZOM

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #11179
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
is it just me or does every stock seem like a penny stock now?
i remember the good ol days where we had these things called etfs.
now even with pandemic stocks that pretty much guarantee 50%+ over the next year, its not good enough for ppl here or on reddit.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #11180

50% gains not enough to catch up to the housing market. People are getting desperate and thus risky plays. I made 1133% in the last week on a penny stock. But I knew what I was getting into and worse comes to worse, I don't get to buy another M3.

But yes, almost every stock is a penny stock now. Recently, VERY was a very popular stock, before it got shorted to crap. Hit highs of $9.50 iirc. Everyone's trying to get in on that early (risky) buy in for those GAINS. I think VERY had an PP offering at $0.25. Still sad I didn't get in on that one LOL.

I feel like hype stocks gain traction during Cannabis stocks. You can also blame the increase of app-based trading platforms, where now everyone is a professional trader, and it's all about posting the biggest gains
Old 02-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #11181
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Where did he buy options? I don't see any available for ZOM.
He's with Scotia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
now even with pandemic stocks that pretty much guarantee 50%+ over the next year, its not good enough for ppl here or on reddit.
With how accessible it is now for people to invest through banking platforms/apps and how easy it is to obtain information, it's not surprising.

Why invest in an ETF when you can pick the individual "winners" instead? You expose yourself to more risk, but the newer generation is not as risk adverse.

I personally don't invest in an ETF unless it's in a sector that I'm unfamiliar with. For example, I might drop some money into the new space exploration ETF from ARK.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #11182
SFICC-03*

Its just interesting to see how quickly things have changed. Etfs are the new mutual funds and picking individual stocks is the new paradigm. Probably largely in part due to the unprecedented bull market we are experiencing.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #11183
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
You know they say you should never buy stocks a friend suggested or that you heard rumours on somewhere... you'll lose every time... but I have to say this message thread is pretty successful, I think if you bought what people have posted in here the past couple years you would have made a tonne of money...

RS should start its own hedge fund.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #11184
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I wish I got into ZOM around the 40 cent mark when I heard about it, I didn’t bother taking the risk because it was a penny stock and now it’s gone up
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:50 AM   #11185
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Just curious, but are you guys buying and selling on a non-registered account rather than your TFSA and RRSP? Worried about CRA as my TFSA account approaches 6 figures. I usually do swing trades or SPACs in the TFSA

Curious what everyone's trading habit/stock type is and the type of account they are doing it in.

I might consider moving a portion of my TFSA to a non-registered account to do SPACs and swings.

Appreciate it

Last edited by ButterFingers; 02-09-2021 at 01:12 AM.
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #11186
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
You know they say you should never buy stocks a friend suggested or that you heard rumours on somewhere... you'll lose every time... but I have to say this message thread is pretty successful, I think if you bought what people have posted in here the past couple years you would have made a tonne of money...

I think why this kinda works here is precisely the fact that we are not friends.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #11187
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:

Just like anyone who bought into GME when it hit the news. I know of a few people who bought in once it hit the news and everyone was talking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #11188
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
This thread seems to only be the gains and only after it's already taken off. I'm curious where you guys hear about some of these to begin with and how many have either gone nowhere or tanked.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #11189
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Quote:

With how accessible it is now for people to invest through banking platforms/apps and how easy it is to obtain information, it's not surprising.

Why invest in an ETF when you can pick the individual "winners" instead? You expose yourself to more risk, but the newer generation is not as risk adverse.

I personally don't invest in an ETF unless it's in a sector that I'm unfamiliar with. For example, I might drop some money into the new space exploration ETF from ARK.
Quote:
... but I have to say this message thread is pretty successful, I think if you bought what people have posted in here the past couple years you would have made a tonne of money...

Its easy to feel like you're a rockstar stock-picker in an extremely bullish markets like this but its important to keep everything in context. There's a famous saying: "Rising tide raises all boats" which is exactly what is happening with the financial markets right now. Central banks around the world have deployed what is now nicknamed as the wall-of-liquidity by pumping trillions of $ into the economy which has trickled its way into the markets. Take a look at this M3 growth below which represents the supply of money in the economy. That massive monetary stimulus combined with zero-interest-rate-policy (ZIRP) has created an environment where its virtually impossible to lose money on your investments. There's another famous saying from Buffet: "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

I wished I saved the link, but there was a research that showed a recent strong negative correlation between stock's share price and the stock's performance: The cheaper the price of each share, the stronger the performance. Best performing stocks on average were 'penny' stocks and then $1-2 /per share stocks, $2-$5/per share stocks etc... Why is that?
  1. Investors (particularly retail investors with smaller capital) have always had a psychological bias towards stocks with a lower share price. This is why companies choose to do stock splits to make their stock appear more accessible.
  2. It is much easier now for retail investors (particularly millennials) to access the stock market via Robinhood etc.
  3. There is euphoric sentiment in the market where investors feel like its safe to chase extreme returns through micro-cap stocks, bitcoin, GME etc.
A lot of you guys are also looking down on ETFs but the point of ETFs is not to generate the highest possible return, its to target a good risk-adjusted return through diversification. Again, in an environment like this, its easy to forget the importance of diversification, but proper risk management is what separates the novices from the experts. If you are into picking micro-cap stocks like a lot of the names mentioned in this thread, you should consider benchmarking your performance against a passive approach like IWC (iShares US Micro-cap ETF). It has over +60% return since November 2020 and over +150% return since COVID-bottom in March 2020. How does your portfolio compare against that on a risk-adjusted basis (portfolio return / portfolio volatility)? If you are not beating a passive investment alternative on a risk-adjusted basis, you are either taking more risk than you need to get the same amount of return, or you are generating less return for the same amount of risk in your portfolio.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #11190
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFingers View Post
Just curious, but are you guys buying and selling on a non-registered account rather than your TFSA and RRSP? Worried about CRA as my TFSA account approaches 6 figures. I usually do swing trades or SPACs in the TFSA

Curious what everyone's trading habit/stock type is and the type of account they are doing it in.

I might consider moving a portion of my TFSA to a non-registered account to do SPACs and swings.

Appreciate it
This "should" answer your question. https://www.fool.ca/2021/01/21/canad...ill-get-taxed/

Someone I work with got raped. Said colleague believed CRA wouldn't catch him but he is in more trouble than he's willing to tell me.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #11191
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Imagine if we're all here to shill each other
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #11192
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This "should" answer your question. https://www.fool.ca/2021/01/21/canad...ill-get-taxed/

Someone I work with got raped. Said colleague believed CRA wouldn't catch him but he is in more trouble than he's willing to tell me.
Any idea the volume of transactions and size of his TFSA?

Seems like people here make a large amount of transactions, are you guys using a non-registered account?
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #11193
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
No idea on the volumes of transactions my colleague pumped through his TFSA; My assumption was he was doing high volumes like crazy during the day (got written up for it due to lack of productivity.) He also talked a big game like his dick was over 12" long but for him to get busted by CRA and suddenly go quiet, I would assume they were frequent transactions. He landed on some money when a family member passed away so he was playing around with the money from what he told me. For all I know, he could be bullshitting, but so far the story lines up.

I can't speak for the others in the thread but I do my trading on a non-registered account. Long term stuff I do via my TFSA and only maybe once or twice a month. I'm a bit conservative at the moment as I'm doing renovations on my home so I have to keep an eye on my cash flow and liquidity to cover expenses over the next few months.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #11194
SFICC-03*

i think if you're just swing trading every few days or weeks then it should be fine. if you're day trading and making many transactions per day then i think that is what they are specifically trying to crack down on.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #11195

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFingers View Post
Any idea the volume of transactions and size of his TFSA?

Seems like people here make a large amount of transactions, are you guys using a non-registered account?
If an individual is making a trade every day that's likely will trigger CRA from what I interpret. A few moves a month shouldn't be of issue (no matter what amount you put through as long as its within threshold limits you are allowed). "Rebalancing the savings portfolio LOL"
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #11196
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Oh my ... that's good to know about excessive trading in TFSA! Thanks for the warning.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #11197

Rumors from friends of friends in Audits say that the algo triggers a flag when TFSA account balance exceeds 500K. I've only had one client get flagged for business income (activity) in TFSA, but he was trading in excess of $1M.

I personally don't day trade in my TFSA. I'm debating on putting part of my position of $HULK.V, up to my contribution limit in my TFSA. I know I'd take a capital gains hit on the transfer into the account, but better now than later. That said, if this goes south, which it can. GG contribution room. So maybe not. Max 25% tax hit isn't all too bad.

(If $2M gains -> Capital gains = $1M -> Tax = $250K -> 250K/$1M = 25% or 250K/$2M = 12.5%)

If you're ever curious about the tax you may incur, you can use this calculator: https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/tool/tax-calculator

Take your gains / 2 = capital gains -> input that # into the capital gains box
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #11198
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,049 Times in 551 Posts
welp the Hyundai and Apple deal ia now off... do you guys think it is still worth to hold on to GOEV CANOO?

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #11199

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts

i cant find these guys on the stock market, but looking at the product...what do you think?

is there any massive gains to be made???, or do you think this just a niche product with very little market..

the interesting thing is it takes 2 hours to set-up.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #11200
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

I've been trying to read up on the issue with haste as my TFSA account has ballooned since GME. What's unfortunate is there is no clear cut line from the CRA, so I'm not sure if I'll be flagged or not. I have around 60 trades over the past 4 months, but am certainly not a sophisticated trader.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote