REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #11201
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
I've been trying to read up on the issue with haste as my TFSA account has ballooned since GME. What's unfortunate is there is no clear cut line from the CRA, so I'm not sure if I'll be flagged or not. I have around 60 trades over the past 4 months, but am certainly not a sophisticated trader.
to be considered active trader for TD waterhouse, you need 150+ per quarter.

So not sure what threshold CRA uses.
Advertisement
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #11202
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
I'm so interested how things are going to progress, I feel like the actual foundations of stock trading are very much threatened and completely compromised at this point...

Ie: when most of us were growing up, it was insider trading to even mention a tip to a friend if you worked somewhere and you're going to jail!! Do not pass go!! Martha Stewart so famously went for just that.

Fast forward to today... Elon owns BTC... and tweets about it... and it goes up more than 20% literally in hours. Yes it's not stock, but how is that not market manipulation?

Likewise with ZOM... it all started with someone (who I can only imagine owned significant amounts of stock) paying Carole Baskins from the Joe Exotic show $300 to mention it through her media channels and boom the price is up like 800%... again it's clear stock manipulation? Seems to be the very definition of it.

But how do they stop it? I don't think they can... the current system has relied completely on the idea that everyone can't talk to each other all at once... and now social media and internet has caused that system to collapse. Combine that with the risk adverse YOLO mentality of younger people in North America and free trading / low fee platforms on everyone's phones making it click click simple to trade on a whim or emotions with zero understanding of economics and it's basically become unregulated.

I really wonder what's going to happen in the long run. I won't pretend to be a Finance major, I didn't go to school for anything remotely like it... but damn watching it unfold is something for the ages.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #11203
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseman View Post
I've been trying to read up on the issue with haste as my TFSA account has ballooned since GME. What's unfortunate is there is no clear cut line from the CRA, so I'm not sure if I'll be flagged or not. I have around 60 trades over the past 4 months, but am certainly not a sophisticated trader.
There's a reason why there's no clear cut line from the CRA because they make up the rules of the game as they go along. You have to be careful with your trades in your TFSA moving forward. The CRA is, after all, the tax man and they will recover what they believe is theirs.

The only way you'll know if you'll be flagged or not is when they send you a very friendly letter in the mail asking you to write a cheque to the Receiver General for Canada.

In the case of my said colleague, I can only assume his trade volumes were daily for close to a year or something, and he would never shut up about how much his stocks went up, and suddenly one day goes quiet and tells me the CRA is after him for his TFSA and that he needs to lawyer up (whatever that even means.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #11204
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
This thread seems to only be the gains and only after it's already taken off. I'm curious where you guys hear about some of these to begin with and how many have either gone nowhere or tanked.
I only started back on October but have really gotten into it since and of all the trading I've done since then I can probably break it up into a 90% success rate meaning in the green varying from 5% to 300% and with 10% of my trades being losses of 10% or less. Aside from a stock like APPL they were all stocks that initially "heard" through what I use as my main source.

With that said, I'm playing small, between being an adult, mortgage etc etc I don't have much disposable cash to play with so while my gains overall have been great it hasn't been life changing at all like to give you an idea when I opened my account in Oct I was only able to deposit like $500 cash lol. All good though, I'm more here to learn and make my cash work for me better than sitting in a savings or something and I'm not looking or expecting to make some life changing gains here although that would of course be nice. Who doesn't want to hold a bunch of shares at like nothing and then one day it becomes like TSLA or something.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #11205
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Looks like there's a bit of traction building on PSYK. Seems like an okay ETF to jump in on at its current price as psychedelic therapy gains a foothold.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #11206
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Looks like there's a bit of traction building on PSYK. Seems like an okay ETF to jump in on at its current price as psychedelic therapy gains a foothold.
Bought in to this a week or two ago in case it might become the next cannabis.

Portland has recently legalized psychadelics, canada likely not far behind.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #11207
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone understand what a partial fill with a limit buy means?

Say I wanted 10 shares, but it says only 6 filled at $10, but now the price is $11.

Do I still get those 6 shares? Or does my whole order cancel?

First time I've had this happen to me and if it matters, I am on TD DI
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #11208
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
MVIS wow
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #11209
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Is this shroomstocks LOL

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #11210
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Is this shroomstocks LOL

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
It's been available as of a couple of weeks ago, brought together a bunch of promising MDMA and shroomstocks. Entry point right now is ~$11 LOL
Old 02-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #11211
in the butt

Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
MVIS wow

April will be the real wow
800% gainz atm

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #11212
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOREVER View Post
Anyone understand what a partial fill with a limit buy means?

Say I wanted 10 shares, but it says only 6 filled at $10, but now the price is $11.

Do I still get those 6 shares? Or does my whole order cancel?

First time I've had this happen to me and if it matters, I am on TD DI
Means you just got 6 shares since there weren't enough shares available at your price.

FYI if your order is for an extended period of time and not just the day, they charge you a separate fee each day.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2021, 10:50 PM   #11213
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yeah, they showed up in my account at 9PM

TIL if it still a partial fill you won't be able to swing it during market hours
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #11214
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I only started back on October but have really gotten into it since and of all the trading I've done since then I can probably break it up into a 90% success rate meaning in the green varying from 5% to 300% and with 10% of my trades being losses of 10% or less. Aside from a stock like APPL they were all stocks that initially "heard" through what I use as my main source.

With that said, I'm playing small, between being an adult, mortgage etc etc I don't have much disposable cash to play with so while my gains overall have been great it hasn't been life changing at all like to give you an idea when I opened my account in Oct I was only able to deposit like $500 cash lol. All good though, I'm more here to learn and make my cash work for me better than sitting in a savings or something and I'm not looking or expecting to make some life changing gains here although that would of course be nice. Who doesn't want to hold a bunch of shares at like nothing and then one day it becomes like TSLA or something.
I started late spring of last year and since then I've been doing so much research understanding the market and looking at a variety of stocks and trends. I spent so much time understanding fundamentals and looking at company debt, PE ratio, RSI and whatnot, but realized that none of that mattered in today's market. At least down the road when there's a correction, I'll still have some fundamentals down.

At first I was thinking of blue-chip dividend stocks for my rrsp and tfsa, but as I gained more experience, I realized how lucky we are to be in a market like this and switched to growth stocks. I'd say I have a 25% portfolio of speculative stocks which is quite risky but I got 100% gains from them so far. So is it this crazy market or is there actual room for these companies to grow in the future? I change my trailing stop losses all the time in preparation for a crash in case it ever comes. I am quite tech and health heavy, so it's scary to think I could lose it all. I set my stop losses at 15% downtrend for non-volatile stocks and 25% downtrend for volatile stocks. I'm heavily invested in CCIV but I bought at $12 and set my stop losses at $20 which is near 40% but the reward is way too big vs risk.

Is there a bubble? Probably. But as long as covid is around and people aren't going out spending, money is going into the markets. Think of how much exposure investments have gotten from GME and AMC. I still consider myself a novice but I do my DD and one of the basic things I ask myself, how does this company benefit society and what problem does it solve? My TFSA is maxed out and I have more investments in my cash account than my TFSA all of which so far I gained 125% +. Unrealized so it's not actually mine yet. This is actually life changing money and I'm so glad I started investing. I'm in my mid 30's and I wish I started this earlier but better late than never.

The biggest mistake I learned when I started out and this is my advice to all of you new people, if it's your TFSA, find a long term stock which you can buy and hold. Expect red days and if you truly believe in the company and their vision, there will be more green days than not. I made mistakes of selling too early and when I first started, MMs definitely got me good on some...lesson learned. I made mistakes with tesla as some of you might remember, and in the end I sold it and never looked back. It was a lesson learned, but luckily I gained most of it back from NIO when I bought them in the mid 20s. Stocks that I sold when I first started such as maxr and ballard, if I had kept them I would've gained 200%+. 20/20 hindsight but I've only added to my position over the last 3 months in all my longterm stocks and havent sold a single share of my stocks....overall gained 125%. Beginners luck? Maybe. I still have lots to learn and looking at this thread, I can see a lot of new investors as well. GLTA

Last edited by yameen; 02-11-2021 at 01:41 AM.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #11215

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
I started late spring of last year and since then I've been doing so much research understanding the market and looking at a variety of stocks and trends. I spent so much time understanding fundamentals and looking at company debt, PE ratio, RSI and whatnot, but realized that none of that mattered in today's market. At least down the road when there's a correction, I'll still have some fundamentals down.

At first I was thinking of blue-chip dividend stocks for my rrsp and tfsa, but as I gained more experience, I realized how lucky we are to be in a market like this and switched to growth stocks. I'd say I have a 25% portfolio of speculative stocks which is quite risky but I got 100% gains from them so far. So is it this crazy market or is there actual room for these companies to grow in the future? I change my trailing stop losses all the time in preparation for a crash in case it ever comes. I am quite tech and health heavy, so it's scary to think I could lose it all. I set my stop losses at 15% downtrend for non-volatile stocks and 25% downtrend for volatile stocks. I'm heavily invested in CCIV but I bought at $12 and set my stop losses at $20 which is near 40% but the reward is way too big vs risk.

Is there a bubble? Probably. But as long as covid is around and people aren't going out spending, money is going into the markets. Think of how much exposure investments have gotten from GME and AMC. I still consider myself a novice but I do my DD and one of the basic things I ask myself, how does this company benefit society and what problem does it solve? My TFSA is maxed out and I have more investments in my cash account than my TFSA all of which so far I gained 125% +. Unrealized so it's not actually mine yet. This is actually life changing money and I'm so glad I started investing. I'm in my mid 30's and I wish I started this earlier but better late than never.

The biggest mistake I learned when I started out and this is my advice to all of you new people, if it's your TFSA, find a long term stock which you can buy and hold. Expect red days and if you truly believe in the company and their vision, there will be more green days than not. I made mistakes of selling too early and when I first started, MMs definitely got me good on some...lesson learned. I made mistakes with tesla as some of you might remember, and in the end I sold it and never looked back. It was a lesson learned, but luckily I gained most of it back from NIO when I bought them in the mid 20s. Stocks that I sold when I first started such as maxr and ballard, if I had kept them I would've gained 200%+. 20/20 hindsight but I've only added to my position over the last 3 months in all my longterm stocks and havent sold a single share of my stocks....overall gained 125%. Beginners luck? Maybe. I still have lots to learn and looking at this thread, I can see a lot of new investors as well. GLTA
Definitely lots to learn and while I haven't gone as deep as you yet I'll get there one day. For sure I made some rookie mistakes such as but not limited to

- Chasing or FOMO
- Not utilizing the buying and selling tools available such as
- setting stop loss
- setting buy limits
- setting buy duration
- Being emotional
- Selling out of fear and understanding that red days actually means black Friday and you should buy more not sell
- Spreading too thin, I had little cash and so many plays I thought were good so I ended up buying lots of different stocks but the positions were so little it was just silly. I ended up selling some over time and now have really just zeroed in on a hand full and have decent positions based on the cash I have. A couple long term in APPL and NIO, and some short to medium and who knows maybe long term pending in ZOM, NNDM, and CRIS.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #11216
Performance Moderator

Buying on red days is NOT always a good strategy... sometimes a stock is just straight up cratering and that's all there is to it haha...
Old 02-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #11217
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
+1 that's exactly where the term "catching a falling knife" applies.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #11218
SiRVs up, dude

Its so funny, all these phrases that have developed over the years of trading..

“Don’t catch a falling knife”!
“Buy the dip”

These terms only work in hindsight, when a dip actually happens who the hell knows if it’s actually a dip that will recover or a knife in disguise?
Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #11219
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
April will be the real wow
800% gainz atm
What was the drop to $0.15 in March 2020? Warrants execution? Pretty crazy, penny stock a year ago to $15.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #11220

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Buying on red days is NOT always a good strategy... sometimes a stock is just straight up cratering and that's all there is to it haha...
Correct I'm just generalizing red days and making the point that when shit is in the red it isn't necessarily a bad thing and can be a good thing.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #11221
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Well my AMC is in the super red haha
My Tesla and Nio gains have more than covered it but still, shitty lesson learned.

Last edited by Obsideon; 02-11-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #11222
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Well my AMC is in the super red haha
Well, if any of the Reddit stocks have a chance to come back post-Covid it's that one
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #11223
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Well, if any of the Reddit stocks have a chance to come back post-Covid it's that one
What about blackberry. I'm averaging down.5 year hold horizon.

I'm dabbling in this penny stock play

HPQ.V, HPQ Silicon @ 1.24/share
Technology still has to be proven but looks like silicon is the next upgrade over graphite. And further applications like semi conductors and medical. Could be huge, or could be a dud. Seems promising with their partner.

PYR.TO, Pyrogenesis Canada at 8.64/Share

It's funny, I mentioned this stock in this thread back in 2014 they were 0.50 cents, but picked CCB.V instead...that went BUST, NIMBY community. If only I bought pyro...... anyways, never too late on potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I'm still kicking around
CCB-V (Graphite)
LXV-V (social media play)

Looking at PYR-V & LOY.V (they have English schools for internationals, and only recently started to acquire rental suites. Looks very promising)
A recent addition into Cathie Woods ARK PRNT 3D Fund. A rare canadian play that is in one of her funds. I think that speaks volumes.
It's gone up substantially. But when you dig deeper, they have the potential to become a leader in the 3D powder industry.

They invented Plasma atomisation that GE uses, and dominates 1/3 of the market of the titanium powder market. When they start producing and secure contracts and industry (medical, space, automotive) start adopting 3D printing, they could become a major player IMO.

They got other green industry tech that could be in their favour with Funds and Gov't investments.

@ a 1.2 billion market cap, and minimal revenue, you're really betting that they will secure these contracts. But hey, Cathie Woods and her advisors picked it, says it all. I'm in at ~5/share

Last edited by subordinate; 02-11-2021 at 02:42 PM.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #11224
My homepage has been set to RS

Rumour of a Canadian weed co buying and American weed co:

February 11, 2021 15:53 ET | Source: Grapefruit USA Inc.
LOS ANGELES and DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif., Feb. 11, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via InvestorWire – Grapefruit USA, Inc. (OTCQB: GPFT) (“Grapefruit” or the “Company”), a premiere, fully licensed California-based cannabis company, announces it has recently been approached by a Canadian cannabis company to enter into discussions concerning a potential acquisition transaction.

Bradley J. Yourist, Grapefruit CEO, commented, “Grapefruit is not surprised to be approached concerning a potential acquisition, in light of the Company’s recent disclosure concerning its 714% year-over-year revenue increase; the public reaction to the Company’s patented, disruptive Hourglass™ THC/cannabinoid delivery cream; and recent announcements by U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer concerning prioritization of the federal legalization of cannabis by de-scheduling THC. Grapefruit has always been fundamentally driven by compliance, so management decided it was incumbent upon the Company to make this announcement to prevent possible selective leaks of this material and heretofore nonpublic information and/or to prevent insider trading. That being said, we wish to emphasize that the discussions reported here are preliminary in nature and may be terminated at any time. Grapefruit will update the public as necessary on these discussions as events proceed.”

To learn more about Grapefruit, please visit InvestorBrandNetwork:
https://www.investorbrandnetwork.com...fruit-usa-inc/

To learn more about Grapefruit’s new sustained-release Hourglass™ THC + Cannabinoid Topical Delivery Cream, please watch this promotional video
and visit our website at:
https://grapefruitblvd.com/hourglass/

For investor information, please visit our website at:
https://grapefruitblvd.com/investor-relations/

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and T
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #11225
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I have a few cannabis stocks and it got hit hard today. Again I think cannabis wasnt like how it was a couple years ago, and I believe it will trend upwards but lucky I didnt have tilray. 50% wiped out just like that!
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote