REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 02-23-2023, 10:02 PM   #4401
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Dude, dont worry about posting too many pics of your watch. Its a beaut and is honestly making me browse for a similar watch too

I usually dont take wrist shots these days as I no longer have to wait on the ex for hours to get ready

Been on a selling spree so just down to the Oyster Date & Lemania now. Sold the bottom 1958 Oyster Precision 2 months ago. Had the same manual wind 1210 movement as the UFO that I also sold. Didn't think i'd regret it but now I kinda do

Advertisement
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2023, 10:11 PM   #4402
rb
Network Admin Team

PS: Hobz ain't wrong that you'll soon be obtaining quite a few straps. I bought a Plano tackle box just for straps but gave quite a few straps away recently

This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2023, 01:39 AM   #4403
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Been on a selling spree so just down to the Oyster Date & Lemania now.
Even the Sky Rocket?

I was posting about browsing at a local watch shop today (mostly Seiko and Citizen but they did have some Squale divers) and I started ranting about small watches lol.. They had these 39mm chronographs that were so tiny I could barely see the subdials. And 40mm divers like the Squale had such small dials.. I won't rant but learned that I am really not into small watches, maybe unless they are really simple.

Anyway, one of the Squales had this leather hybrid strap that was just like the Laco one I posted a while ago, and I think it convinced me to pull the trigger. Looked really good! Just wish it wasn't tapered.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 06:13 AM   #4404
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,683 Times in 3,121 Posts
Small diameter cases were the de facto size back in the days. 39 was actually considered big and sporty in the 70s and 80s.

It’s probably proportional to men’s height. As we grow taller on average, case sizes increased. I remember going to the civil war museum and seeing these small uniforms. Most of the dudes were around 5’3
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:43 AM   #4405
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
I really like that Lemania watch rb, perfect strap texture and colour for it too.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2023, 02:26 PM   #4406
rb
Network Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Even the Sky Rocket?

I was posting about browsing at a local watch shop today (mostly Seiko and Citizen but they did have some Squale divers) and I started ranting about small watches lol.. They had these 39mm chronographs that were so tiny I could barely see the subdials. And 40mm divers like the Squale had such small dials.. I won't rant but learned that I am really not into small watches, maybe unless they are really simple.

Anyway, one of the Squales had this leather hybrid strap that was just like the Laco one I posted a while ago, and I think it convinced me to pull the trigger. Looked really good! Just wish it wasn't tapered.
Yeah, the Sky Rocket was one of the first to go. I never wore it as it was just too small at 29mm. I paid $40 for it at a yard sale many yrs ago so got quite the return on it.

As for the size of chronos, the chrono sub dial size is usually limited to the off the shelf chrono movements and their hand positions. Even if its a 45-50mm case, the hand positions can only cover a 30mm area due to the movement size. Though they aren't cheap and most are usually vintage, you should take a look at "Big Eyes" 2 register chronographs for a more legible dial

Currently eyeing the Longines Big Eye chrono as a 40th bday watch if i can find one for the right price. https://www.longines.com/en-ca/watch...-l2-816-1-93-2
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2023, 02:51 PM   #4407
Performance Moderator

Holy sheeeet rb you have good taste my man that Longines gives me serious “everything I could ever want in a forever watch” vibes
Old 02-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #4408

Part of why I like the TwinDicator so much is because they are able to have the subdials at the very edge, out of the way. The center of the subdials perfectly replace the 3 and 9 indicators

There's a Hanhart AD near me so I might go try this thing on this week

Old 02-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #4409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Holy sheeeet rb you have good taste my man that Longines gives me serious “everything I could ever want in a forever watch” vibes
It seems like the 3 of us have very similar tastes - we love our pilot watches!

Here are some others that I constantly look at that you might like (mostly chronos):

Also I am not even looking at anything more than $3000 USD or so... So that leaves out all the Swiss watches like Longines and Zenith even though I really like them (though they are often too flashy for my tastes - even the pilots).

Tutima Grand Flieger Classic Chronograph

Damasko DC86 (both versions, can't decide which I like more)

Guinand Starfighter

Sinn 103 and 717

Archimede Pilot Chrono (in terms of value, this one is only €1400 MSRP and carries an Eta 7750 Elabore)

Junghans Meister Pilot

Edit: Aristo Aviator Chronograph. Just found out about this brand today, another value find. $1000 for a Selita powered chronograph!

And of course the Hamilton Murph. Not a chrono, but I really feel like I will own this one day. 42mm for me, there's a 38mm version too. That strap has to go though.

If someone said I could have any one of these for free right now, I'd take the DC86

Edit: Also if you like the Lemania, the closest I've come across is the Zeppelin Los Angeles (there are several styles). This is quartz though

Edit: Add this to the list

Muehle-Glashuette S.A.R. FLIEGER-CHRONOGRAPH

This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2023, 10:28 PM   #4410

After doing some shopping, man. I really have to come to terms with how small watches are, after all those years of wearing nothing but G-Shocks

The Hanharts looked so nice, but only the 45mm looked "big enough" on display. I didn't try any on though. Even the 44mm Sinn U1 looks smaller than I expected! The U50 looks practically tiny. I saw an Explorer and it was shockingly small.

I know this is all in my head, but also I definitely have preferences for a large, clear display. I actually appreciate my Type B more than ever after today. And I looked at literally all the famous brands, and more.

If I'm closer to buying I'll try some on, but it felt weird to ask, knowing I had 0 intent to buy something. Walking through the store with Patek and Audemars and all that was super awkward, being followed around.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:44 AM   #4411
rb
Network Admin Team

How big is your wrist? I went through a large watch phase 10yrs ago... you'll probably grow out of it lol. I owned a PAM 111 and looking back, it was a wallclock on my tiny 6.25" wrist. After running it into quite a few desk corners and people constantly asking me about my watch and if it was indeed real, I got rid of it as I wanted something more discrete and less large
Old 02-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #4412

I haven't taken a really accurate measurement of my wrist.. I think it's 7.1 or 7.2"

I was changing straps again today (silicone one came in) so I took this shot to give myself an idea of what my sizing is like using my own 'lug to lug' measurement.

So here's my watch with a pretty decently big 50mm lug to lug on my wrist... as you can see, plenty of room left over past the lugs. I blacked out the dial to take that out of the equation of perception. Also I'm over 200 lbs, another thing to take into consideration on top of just wrist size

I have noticed all the brands I follow are offering more and more smaller watches, so the trend is going smaller again (despite, as mentioned before, people are bigger than they were even in the 70's and much bigger than in the 40's and earlier). I think it's great that smaller sizes are coming out for people of all sizes, but I think I just like big watches, at least for now. The Hanhart was so nice man. 54mm lug to lug...

I guess I have to try more on to get a full idea of what works for me... Before I bought this I tried on some Seikos that were 39mm and they felt ridiculously small to me, but again maybe it's all in my head
Old 02-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #4413
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
39mm felt small on me as well, I'm 228lbs and 7.5" wrist.

I tried on the cartier tanks yesterday and they look funny on me haha

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #4414

really!? they have a huge tank.. the uhhh Santos de Cartier TANK

https://www.cartier.com/en-ca/watche...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #4415
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts

about to purchase this, I hope its as heavy duty as I think it will be
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2023, 10:20 AM   #4416
rb
Network Admin Team

^ Owned a few in the past (Core All Black & Core Steel Steel). A glass protector is highly recommended if you intend to do physical activities with it as the glass scratches easy. It also goes through batteries rather fast if you're using any of the ABC functions frequently.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Casio Tough Solar Pathfinder / Pro Trek line if you're in the market for that type of watch as I find those are more rugged

PS: if you're buying it because you saw Denzel wearing one in the Equilizer to time his ass kicking's with a large stop watch counter, its does not function like that on the actual watch
Old 02-27-2023, 11:45 AM   #4417
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Some what haha. It was seal team season 2, saw them wearing it on to the field. Next thing you know, I was on google search.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2023, 03:19 PM   #4418
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It seems like the 3 of us have very similar tastes - we love our pilot watches!

Here are some others that I constantly look at that you might like (mostly chronos):

Also I am not even looking at anything more than $3000 USD or so... So that leaves out all the Swiss watches like Longines and Zenith even though I really like them (though they are often too flashy for my tastes - even the pilots).

Tutima Grand Flieger Classic Chronograph
I'm not a big fan of the all blacked out look, I don't like it on cars either... monochrome... but any of the ones you posted with some silver elements or whatnot are super dope... I am adding them all to my list to look into.

I especially like that last one, the Zeppelin... and the Hamilton above it... * chef's kiss
Old 02-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #4419

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the all blacked out look, I don't like it on cars either... monochrome... but any of the ones you posted with some silver elements or whatnot are super dope... I am adding them all to my list to look into.

I especially like that last one, the Zeppelin... and the Hamilton above it... * chef's kiss
Yeah as you can see earlier in this thread, I was looking at blacked out watches when I first started getting interested in buying. But yeah they suck as actual "watches". I still like black though! so I mostly (but not exclusively) look at PVD black coated stainless steel cases with highly legible dials.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #4420

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
^ Owned a few in the past (Core All Black & Core Steel Steel). A glass protector is highly recommended if you intend to do physical activities with it as the glass scratches easy. It also goes through batteries rather fast if you're using any of the ABC functions frequently.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Casio Tough Solar Pathfinder / Pro Trek line if you're in the market for that type of watch as I find those are more rugged

PS: if you're buying it because you saw Denzel wearing one in the Equilizer to time his ass kicking's with a large stop watch counter, its does not function like that on the actual watch
i love the watch.
1) easy to replace battery, don't try to use a quarter, it'll skratch easily.
2) I have the casio pathfinder.. i liked the casio a lot cause of the auto light function.
3) I have taken both watch scuba diving, both held up.

the Core does have one down side, the rubber will rip / tear but it's highly unlikely if you don't wear it as a beater. Just swap out the strap if youw ant.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:30 PM   #4421
rb
Network Admin Team

Yeah, forgot to mention about the straps. You can buy a lug kit to fit normal straps on them for around $20. It's good watch but just wasn't for me

Never took mine diving because my ass can't swim but if I wanted to take a Suunto diving, i'd take a Suunto dive computer watch... which I have as well and only I bought because I couldn't say no for the price lol

Old 02-27-2023, 11:36 PM   #4422
G
Banned (BBM)

Has anyone gone vintage watch shopping in Tokyo before? Any recommended shops?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:09 AM   #4423

i recall there was a few neat shops in Roppongi & Ginza in Tokyo but i dont know the names.

https://goo.gl/maps/VFmYtNRsf5qP9HVD9

this building had all the swiss watch brands contained in one. have fun!
This post thanked by:
G
Old 03-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #4424
Performance Moderator

Saw this little news release and thought of you skinnypupp:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...W8cQ%3D.UHTEkW
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2023, 02:39 PM   #4425

Quote:
Saw this little news release and thought of you skinnypupp:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...W8cQ%3D.UHTEkW
I should try on a Seiko to get an idea of the fit, but I can't see myself paying like $1000 for one. Not because of the brand, but because of the unregulated movement that is commonly found in $100 watches that sounds like it can be really hit or miss.

A black Cpt. Willard seems really cool though. Just not sure about the blue-green... Orange would be nice

This post thanked by: