REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 11-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #4151
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
Her face is permanently cross climate 2’d
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #4152
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
I dont post new baller timepieces so here's a tissot t-touch that I picked up a month ago in utter crap condition that I paid a tad too much for. Will never polish titanium again as it took far longer than a normal SS watch. Forgot to take before pics but its previously owner definitely went rock climbing with it or something. Cheaped out and threw it on an Aliexpress Tissot replica strap that fits poorly but it works

Only bought this for one reason and that was because I spotted Hamster sporting one on quite a few episodes of TG like the Burma and Italy special

rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:06 PM   #4153
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
So it's mechanical + quartz combo? So you hack the mechanical to sync it? But with no seconds hand I guess you don't have to be that close
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #4154
rb
Network Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So it's mechanical + quartz combo? So you hack the mechanical to sync it? But with no seconds hand I guess you don't have to be that close
Its an all quartz watch with all of the hand synchronizing done through a series of button presses and/or touches of the glass. The hands do move in a mechanical sense when you touch the glass on the outer ring. They move around and act like a compass when you touch the compass text and barometer but do not for chrono, temp and altimeter mode.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #4155

Ah, I never really considering getting a Swiss quartz watch.. Seems kind of not worth it? Any decent quartz is going to keep perfect time as long as it's not defective

Compass and barometer built in sounds really cool. I guess they are digital too? As in the compass uses the same kind of thing phones do rather than an old analog compass lol

My G-Shock has a barometer/altimeter (yes the one I posted in this thread like 10 years ago) and it's really cool to use on hikes or even getting an idea of the weather

That Tissot is right up my alley
Old 12-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #4156
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Heading to Japan in March, is there any good deals for Grand Seikos or any other watches due to the low Yen? Maybe there's a solid grey dealer market there as well?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:51 PM   #4157
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Visit the pawn shops. They have a great secondary market there and you may find really neat models unique to Japan. From my research, Japanese pawn shops are extremely professional and organized; They don't have the same reputation as North American pawn shops.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #4158

Do I need to get a third party to verify authenticity? Or just do my due diligence and look at papers, box, and watch. I don't think I've seen any of those $1K+ DH Gate reps in person yet, so idk how good fakes can be.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 12-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #4159
RS Veteran

In general, no, but if you must, I think they will allow you to get a third party to authenticate if you are genuinely interested. Most pre-owned watches at pawn shops will look like new but that is due to a cultural norm where people take good care of their watches. Trust your gut and go with it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-12-2022, 06:06 PM   #4160

i dont get fake watches. the whole concept doesn't make any sense to me. Its sort of like driving a 323i and putting a M badge on the back. Yeah you might get away with the "fake" one, but you know in your heart that its fake and you're just posing.

Why put yourself in such a strange predicament.. having to justify it to somebody else. oh no no its real! see, i got M wheels, and uhhh installed a quad tipped exhaust.

If its a money thing, then dont buy it. If i couldnt afford the watches i got, i would be just as proud with a Seiko 5, or a citizen, or hell even a Timex. We might see these are status items, but for majority of the world its just a wrist watch. nobody knows or cares.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #4161
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
i dont get fake watches. the whole concept doesn't make any sense to me. Its sort of like driving a 323i and putting a M badge on the back. Yeah you might get away with the "fake" one, but you know in your heart that its fake and you're just posing.

Why put yourself in such a strange predicament.. having to justify it to somebody else. oh no no its real! see, i got M wheels, and uhhh installed a quad tipped exhaust.
Your post reminded me of this thing I spotted years ago:

Quote:
If its a money thing, then dont buy it. If i couldnt afford the watches i got, i would be just as proud with a Seiko 5, or a citizen, or hell even a Timex. We might see these are status items, but for majority of the world its just a wrist watch. nobody knows or cares.
https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/repla...xury-bags.html

Funny enough there's also another whole group of people that buy fakes just for the thrill. I thought it was just a made up until I learned of a few rich aunties that are into it because it's 'more exciting'. smh.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #4162

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Funny enough there's also another whole group of people that buy fakes just for the thrill. I thought it was just a made up until I learned of a few rich aunties that are into it because it's 'more exciting'. smh.
They're lying lol
Old 12-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/repla...xury-bags.html

thats a strange world. women are more anal than men when it comes to authenticity... they are super self conscious about that sort of shit.

My wife has a few birkins and a few kellys and enough hermes shit to cover half the house in orange boxes, but her and her cunty friends would be the first to point out if another bitch had a fake bag. Especially if they know the person.

Im sure there is some really authentic looking replica bags, but unless you can recite some SA's names in vancouver (she knows all of them and works with a select 2) and what your "spend" was to acquire these pieces, she can probably poke holes in your story. Women are the worst! i doubt these aunties can fool anyone other than themselves. If you already have millions of dollars why even bother buying fake? for the thrill? that's such bullshit. Half the thrill for my wife is getting these pieces. She loves the backroom items experience, having it shown to her, waiting for it, having it customized, etc etc. the experience is fun for her.

Last time she was picking up her shoes, this arab woman was giving the sales manager shit about not being offered a birkin/kelly after spending 20k and waiting for years. The sales manager said bluntly its because you didnt spend enough and the list is too long to put your meager spend on it. LAWL.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 06:56 AM   #4164
RS Veteran

Funny story time: On the topic of replicas, a number of years ago, I was visiting my cousins in Los Angeles. My aunt and uncle are, let's say, quite well off from their restaurant and catering business and are known to delve into the world of watches.

One day in the living room, I see my uncle pull out an Omega Seamaster and I commented on how neat that was (I was at the very early stages of my watch collecting journey.) He says to me, "Oh, you like it? You can have it!" Here I am thinking, "Oh sweet!!!! Jackpot!" After a bunch of back and forth Asian bullshit banter, I give in and he "gifts" me the watch. I am smitten.

I head out later and in the evening take a closer look at the watch to adjust the time and everything. Something's off. The seconds hand doesn't stop (no hacking) and the pusher buttons don't do shit. I take a hard, close look at the watch. It's a fucking replica. Son of a bitch. I got fooled.

Fast forward a year later, my cousin gets married and his aunt gifts him a Speedmaster. I was like, Holy Shit! I was mad jelly. But he straight up tells me it's a replica and by God, it was a really good one. But unless you take a good, hard look at it and have seen a real one, it's hard to spot the difference. That's when I decided to spring for a cheap $25 loupe for shits and giggles and it helps a lot. I feel like a cunty Asian bitch spotting out fakes like in Badhobz story now.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 07:07 AM   #4165

Its just like cars, if you know, you know. That m3 looks off as shit simply from the single muffler. As a car guy we know from a glance. Same with watches, although most replicas are so high end now. But you know how you can easily find out? SHAKE IT! these cheapy eta rotors are so god damn noisy there's no way it would pass QC at a normal swiss factory. If it sounds like a cement mixer, buddy's rocking a fake.

My wife told me i should quit my job and just be a personal shopper for rich asian women. Since i know all the product lines and i know all the SA's at LV/Gucci/Hermes/Holt by their first names, she thinks i would make more money from being a person shopper than my dayjob. I told her id only do it if i can fuck them on the side too. she didnt like that answer.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 07:10 AM   #4166
RS Veteran

LOL!!!!!!!

But yes, shake the watch. The junk movement will be very obvious and it sounds like shit. The rotor wind sounds like a cement mixer as Badhobz said. Otherwise, physically, high end replicas will be hard to spot. The obvious part will be the movement.

Edit: This sounds weird but feel the watch with your hands. Feel the metals and get a sense of whether the metals feel awful and start smelling metallic. The replicas I've dealt with have an awful metallic smell and is very rough and not as smooth or refined as a real example.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-13-2022 at 09:46 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #4167
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I don't orbit close enough to that world to fully understand those aunties' rationale since they're out in HK, but they also have real bags and enjoy very comfortable lives inside gated villas. The article I linked encapsulates their mentality of chasing a deal for good fakes, though they will still go for every Hermes bag offered by their PAs. The way they talk about it feels more like a fun pastime activity than a serious hobby, so it makes for a fun conversation while we play MJ together.

Circling back to watches, their husbands are passionate watch collectors and probably wouldn't let anything fake get onto their wrists. They're the reason I started looking at watches beyond my trusty Apple Watch.

Quote:
But you know how you can easily find out? SHAKE IT! these cheapy eta rotors are so god damn noisy there's no way it would pass QC at a normal swiss factory. If it sounds like a cement mixer, buddy's rocking a fake.
I'm gonna try this next time I see those uncles
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #4168

also, when you have their watch in your hand. twist open the crown. usually its not smooth, the actions are jerky, rough and unrefined, compared to a properly made watch.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2022, 10:35 PM   #4169
rb
Network Admin Team

Serial numbers are often printed/stamped the same as the rest of the engraved text on fakes as the rep factories just stamp out one serial for all. It usually done after the fact with a laser etching on the genuine. Not always the case but that's usually helped me out when I'm picking up a used watch or helping friends authenticate

This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #4170

I'm going to go get waitlisted for a DJ41 or Submariner since I'll probably purchase it to commemorate some life achievements in like 2 to 5 years.

Does it matter which dealer I go to? Don't really care if it comes earlier or longer, how does it all work lol.

Reddit and online watch forums basically make it seem like I'm walking in trying to buy a GT3 or GT4. But if I can wait, does it matter?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 12-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #4171

i like the Rolex boutique downtown. I had good experience with the lady there (quite a few pages back on this same thread).

But that being said, i also bought my DJ/wife's DJ from monte cristo jewelers. This is when they were still in Oakridge and i had this old Italian dude who celebrated every purchase with a bottle of Champaign (his name was giovanni). I dont think he's around anymore. he was VERY VERY OLD but very classy dude.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/4496...-have-148.html

^found it, pg 148

Last edited by Badhobz; 12-15-2022 at 05:10 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #4172
RS Veteran

Just go to any AD. I don't think it matters.

I try to use ADs that carry other brands that interest me so I can build the relationship but Rolex has been out of touch for me. I had to go the grey market route to get what I wanted.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2022, 06:43 AM   #4173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I'm going to go get waitlisted for a DJ41 or Submariner since I'll probably purchase it to commemorate some life achievements in like 2 to 5 years.

Does it matter which dealer I go to? Don't really care if it comes earlier or longer, how does it all work lol.

Reddit and online watch forums basically make it seem like I'm walking in trying to buy a GT3 or GT4. But if I can wait, does it matter?
Gerbs if youre gonna wait somewhere, try it in calgary. Saving the tax is worth it on these big purchases. A flight to cow town is dirt cheap.. only like 150 bucks round trip sometimes.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #4174

Quote:
Gerbs if youre gonna wait somewhere, try it in calgary. Saving the tax is worth it on these big purchases. A flight to cow town is dirt cheap.. only like 150 bucks round trip sometimes.
Will fly in to check it out and some golf.

Have you tried Calling in? I presume always better to go in person.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 12-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #4175

i think in person you'll have a higher chance. if you call on the phone im sure it doesnt have the same impact.
This post thanked by: