REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Best Roads to drive in BC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/462778-best-roads-drive-bc.html)

1990TSI 04-02-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Raid3n
ya i hate that. if you take the ferry over, stop in gibsons for something to eat. by the time you're done, ferry traffic will have cleared up. (give it about 30 mins.)
The Waterfront in lower has the best breakfast evAr

stanton 04-02-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by congee
i got lost once heading back from abbotsford airport. ended up driving thru this twisty road. really fun to drive. but dont remember where it was tho. its sort of like the section between UBC and spanish banks, but only longer and twistier and more hills.
Sounds like Sumas mountain, some good road's up in there.

1- from Revelstoke to Kaslo in the kootneys

2- Island Highway north of Campbell River all the way up to Port Hardy is epic as long as you don't do it on a long weekend.

3- Hope/Princeton is a nice cruiser.

If you have the power, i always liked the long climb out of Kelowna on the conector.

Rikaro 04-02-2007 05:19 PM

anywhere close in vancouver that i can do it every weekend?

i've been trying to find places to drive lately, havn't have much luck

Raid3n 04-02-2007 05:37 PM

there isn't much NEAR vancouver cause it is either straightened out, or dense residential

Presto 04-02-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Presto
There's the road from Princeton to Tulameen. Very nice and curvy, and interesting stuff to see. Once you hit Tulameen keep going north and you'll come upon a gravel road, it should be freshly laid down again for some fun driving. That gravel road is about 40km. I think I'll be trying it out this weekend! :D
Quote:

Originally posted by Senna4ever
In the Prius??

This'll be the third time. First time was all stock, and the road was nice and even all the way. VSC was readily abused :). 2nd time was with new suspension, but the road was full of bumps and dips. Hopefully, it'll be fresh this time.

jmvdesign 04-02-2007 06:23 PM

The highway 4 to Tofino is a pretty nice run as well. Lots of uphills and curves. I had a Prelude then with Tein suspension and it was one of the most intense runs I've driven. More of a touge style compared to Whistler. It's such a treat to have the beach as the end destination after a nice cruise like that. Keep in mind, they've revamped most of the mountain roads (construction started last year).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../tofinomap.jpg

Sicnessk4 04-02-2007 08:24 PM

I love drivin up to my cabin in Pender Harbor...

Barnet highway from coquitlam to hastings, hastings to the #1 West, horseshoe bay ferry, then whatever that road is that goes straight to Pender harbor through Sechelt. No traffic, no cops, no residents, just open road.

Raid3n 04-02-2007 10:23 PM

sunshine coast highway.

runs through; gibsons, roberts creek, half moon bay, madeira park, ruby lake, egmont, to pender harbour i believe.

edit: forgot to mention garden bay

slammer111 04-02-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DA_TEG
highway 3A from creston to crawford bay
Crawford Bay to Creston is more fun. But yeah, it's DH1 for a reason.

You must ride then :D

Sicnessk4 04-03-2007 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Raid3n
sunshine coast highway.

runs through; gibsons, roberts creek, half moon bay, madeira park, ruby lake, egmont, to pender harbour i believe.

edit: forgot to mention garden bay

yup, thats the one. About 30 minutes or so outa Sechelt its just open road! love it

RRxtar 04-03-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by slammer111
You must ride then :D
did my avatar give it away? :D

DownLow 04-03-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sicnessk4
I love drivin up to my cabin in Pender Harbor...

Where abouts in Pender? My parents have a cabin on Nelson Island, just outside of Pender Harbour. You might have seen the boat my dad and I restored... it's unique. :D

slammer111 04-03-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DA_TEG
did my avatar give it away? :D
No, I thought that was just a pic of your favourite video game :D

linlaomu 04-03-2007 01:51 PM

On Vancouver Island from Duncan to Tofino, about 5 hour drive and most of the highway are mountainous very much like Alberta Rockies, except you don't see snow, you see gorgeous crystal clear lake views, waterfalls, forests with deers and bears along the way (July/Aug).

Road pavement is excellent, but many unpredictable bends and elevation, I think government and construction workers has done a great job to make the roads really drivable and beautiful.

Go to Tofino for whale watching or water related sports like surfing and Kayaking. By the way, the water body surrounding Tofino is Pacific Ocean so expect huge waves. This road trip works best with convertibles ;)

smoothie. 04-03-2007 05:48 PM

on cambie from the bridge up to 49th or so at 3am.

bunch of sharp quick turns, no traffic.

Senna4ever 04-04-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by smoothie.
on cambie from the bridge up to 49th or so at 3am.

bunch of sharp quick turns, no traffic.

Haha...never thought of that.

Presto 04-12-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

There's the road from Princeton to Tulameen. Very nice and curvy, and interesting stuff to see. Once you hit Tulameen keep going north and you'll come upon a gravel road, it should be freshly laid down again for some fun driving. That gravel road is about 40km. I think I'll be trying it out this weekend! :D

Update. Tried out the gravel road. Appraently, it's called Coalmont Road. Good news is that it's freshly raked and good for driving on. Lots of nice scenery. If you go there, there's a doorway built into the hill about 50 meters from the road at around 26KM or so. I dare you to go in and sit on the chair inside. :)

Raid3n 04-12-2007 10:43 PM

lol? i might have to check that out next time i'm up there.

slammer111 04-12-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

If you go there, there's a doorway built into the hill about 50 meters from the road at around 26KM or so. I dare you to go in and sit on the chair inside. :)
Got a pic of this chair? :p

Senna4ever 04-13-2007 12:58 AM

How long does it take to go to Princeton? I think I'll go there next month..

Black SC2 04-13-2007 07:53 AM

+1 for Campbell River and north on the island, as well as Parksville to Tofino/ Ucluelet.

Don't forget Victoria out to Jordan River/ Renfrew, wherever you feel like you've had enough. If any of you guys make it to the island, find a local and do this run. It's fantastic.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Vic...33459&z=9&om=1

Raid3n 04-13-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Senna4ever
How long does it take to go to Princeton? I think I'll go there next month..
~3hrs from burnaby

but it all depends on how fast you drive and if you stop anywhere.

keep in mind it is pretty much all up hill going to princeton, and some parts of crows nest pass you'll definitely want to slow down for lol.

but it's a fun drive, particularly if the weather is awesome.

Presto 04-15-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by slammer111
Got a pic of this chair? :p

From the road, at approx 21KM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...MG_0899_RJ.jpg

A closer view
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...MG_0900_RJ.jpg

Me having a seat. It's dark and there's lots of cobwebs in there. I didn't sit there too long:)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...MG_0904_RJ.jpg

The road from Princeton to Tulameen is awesome to rip through, as there is no traffic. Just make sure to look ahead for rocks on the road. On 97C, at the end of Coalmont Rd, there's Kentucky Alleyne park which has a super blue lake. It's worth a look too.

Raid3n 04-15-2007 09:32 AM

damnit i want to go now haha.... rs tulameen cruise?

Senna4ever 04-15-2007 09:37 AM

Is that an abandoned mine?