REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Best Roads to drive in BC (https://www.revscene.net/forums/462778-best-roads-drive-bc.html)

S13SRiding 02-16-2012 12:02 PM

+ another go east on lougheed (hiway 7) past mission city a bit before aggasiz turn left on sylvester road. Tons of fun! It ends up turning into gravel near cascade falls road (great watferfalls for swimming or hiking in the summer) and i cant remember which road but theres a left off of sylvester and its all hills and twisties and will take you all the way to maple ridge
Posted via RS Mobile

NLY 02-16-2012 12:24 PM

Awesome drive, elevation and nice corners

Sumas Mountain

CP.AR 05-06-2012 04:30 PM

just went on a weekend getaway on the island with the GF this weekend.
Did this little stretch at 1AM... though it wasn't in my car :(

Veterans Memorial Pkwy/BC-14 W to W Coast Rd/BC-14 W - Google Maps

dared3vil0 07-19-2012 08:24 PM

I can definetly reccomend Sumas mountain road, However you REALLY want to learn the layout in the day, Then actually drive it hard at night. I made the mistake of just going at night, Almost had a meeting with a tree, I thought i had a straight stretch, and it turns out 20 feet away we have a hairpin. Yeah.

BillMurray 08-02-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S13SRiding (Post 7798782)
+ another go east on lougheed (hiway 7) past mission city a bit before aggasiz turn left on sylvester road. Tons of fun! It ends up turning into gravel near cascade falls road (great watferfalls for swimming or hiking in the summer) and i cant remember which road but theres a left off of sylvester and its all hills and twisties and will take you all the way to maple ridge
Posted via RS Mobile

Yes I can agree with you on that awesome road. I even learned to drive standard there lol.

TopsyCrett 08-13-2012 05:48 PM

Anyone in the Coquitlam area:

Head to the top of Coast meridian, through David Hill. Towards Burke Mountain. Fun little place to hoon around on. But towards the Top of Burke Mountain (Harper Road) becomes a dirt road.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7...8bc13a94_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7...3d87ce18_b.jpg

Usually no traffic and no cops.

NLY 08-13-2012 05:54 PM

How far have you gone on Harper Rd lol ?

I'm not familiar with Coquitlam but I see Quarry rd to the right, and it looks like a trail as well that just goes on and on..

TopsyCrett 08-13-2012 05:59 PM

Just to the opening to the bike trails haha (Conifer Road.)

NLY 08-13-2012 06:04 PM

edit : I found the picture. There's a gate on Harper rd that leads to a provincial park trail.

TopsyCrett 08-13-2012 06:06 PM

Yeah it is vehicle accessible. It leads to a gun range, but the pavement ends pretty much after that turn in the second pic. Only about half of harper road is paved.

NLY 08-13-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Noran 08-13-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopsyCrett (Post 8002489)

Head to the top of Coast meridian, through David Hill. Towards Burke Mountain. Fun little place to hoon around on. But towards the Top of Burke Mountain (Harper Road) becomes a dirt road.

Drove up here a week back. Great road!

91civicZC 08-13-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopsyCrett (Post 8002489)

For anyone planning on doing the drive around the top of Coast Meriden, please keep the jackassery off Coast Meridian itself. We have enough problems with people driving like morons up this road, speeding like crazy. There are people that live here, and lots of kids around.

And as a warning, bikes head up this road all the time, regularly doing double the limit. The cops are starting to visit Coast Meridian more and more looking for people to bust.

TopsyCrett 08-13-2012 07:18 PM

Yeah a few of my friends have seen people drift around those corners at night. There are plenty of bikers coming in and out of the road because a few downhill trail's exit out to the road.

jtrinh 08-13-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizo (Post 7798812)
Awesome drive, elevation and nice corners

Lower Sumas Mountain Rd to Clayburn Rd - Google Maps

Update on this. Lower Sumas was closed last time we tried to drive through it.

dared3vil0 08-16-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrinh (Post 8002629)
Update on this. Lower Sumas was closed last time we tried to drive through it.

How long ago was this? I drove it about a week ago and it was open.

jtrinh 08-16-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8005307)
How long ago was this? I drove it about a week ago and it was open.

Two and a half - two weeks ago? They must have finished after I went to visit it. The lower portion was only opened to residential traffic and the north end was completely barricaded.

How was the road? Were they repaving?

dared3vil0 08-17-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrinh (Post 8005358)
Two and a half - two weeks ago? They must have finished after I went to visit it. The lower portion was only opened to residential traffic and the north end was completely barricaded.

I don't think they were repaving, However they may have been... I drove it at night and didn't notice any smooth pavement but perhaps they did. I will probably head up with a few people in the next few days so i'll let everyone know.

Daniel_K 09-30-2012 04:35 PM

On of the best drives is Chuckanut Drive south from bellingham.

dared3vil0 09-30-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_K (Post 8043249)
On of the best drives is Chuckanut Drive south from bellingham.

I think you must mean the best way to get a ticket... I can't count the number of cops on that road...

MindBomber 09-30-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrinh (Post 8005358)

Lower Sumas Mountain road collapsed in a landslide last winter, it has been closed since and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, it's just one 3-4 kilometer long stretch within an entire network of roads.

Sumas Mountain road, Upper Sumas Mountain road, Straiton road, and the rest of the extensive network all remain open.

Daniel_K 10-04-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8043362)
I think you must mean the best way to get a ticket... I can't count the number of cops on that road...

Hmm, I've never encountered any. There is a great straight stretch leading into (or out of, depending which direction you're going) it. I don't even necessarily go that fast on Chuckanut, I just like the drive. There are some pretty amazing views there as well.

slnna6 10-08-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 7910851)
just went on a weekend getaway on the island with the GF this weekend.
Did this little stretch at 1AM... though it wasn't in my car :(

Veterans Memorial Pkwy/BC-14 W to W Coast Rd/BC-14 W - Google Maps

The road that loops to Lake Cowichan is a good one if you're already out that far.

daproblem 12-23-2012 11:08 PM

bump

dared3vil0 02-17-2013 12:36 AM

First post of 2013? :troll:

Anyone ever been up to Eagle lake in west van? Looks promising if it's paved...