REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Where's the last place you ate at and rate it ... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/530956-wheres-last-place-you-ate-rate.html)

LemonH2O 08-22-2008 10:56 AM

TSIM CHAI NOODLE in Richmond on Westminster hwy

wonton and sui gao soup with lai fan OH and yao choi

no complaints, quick service, food was still hot by the time i got it back to the office

9/10

mako 08-22-2008 04:39 PM

Timmy Ho's

no complaints about my order

8/10

punkwax 08-23-2008 08:00 PM

Bedford House in Ft. Langley
8.5/10

Dinner was great. Creme Brulee was just okay.

KingDeeCee 08-23-2008 09:35 PM

Pearl Castle = 7/10

Appetizers are above average. Fried rice taste weird and bubble tea is, meh. Other than the occasional hot chicks, I gotta give it a 7.

mako 09-01-2008 11:20 AM

Mini Dounts @ PNE
10/10!

Whale's Tails @ PNE
not as good as the donuts, possibly because i was already bloated from eating everything else
8/10

hal0g0dv2 09-01-2008 02:36 PM

cactus club on robsons, 8/10
service was really good but food was s0-s0

MG1 09-01-2008 04:35 PM

I've been living in North Langley for 16 or so years. I drive by this Japanese restaurant on the way home from Vancouver whenever I decide to take the 176th Street exit off Hwy 1 instead of the usual 200th exit. It's a little place called Midori on 96th Avenue. They are never open when I drive by 'cause they close at like 2 pm or something like that and they are not open on weekends. I swore that before I move from Langley, I'll go to that restaurant. Well two weeks ago, I went there with my wife and two of my kids. All I can say is, I never thought Japanese food can be that butchered. I mean, I've been to all kinds of so called Japanese restaurants run by people other than Japanese and most of them are OK. This one was by far, the worst one I've ever been to. I thought Grand Buffet sushi was blech, but this place took the cake. It was all you can eat, so I was prepared for bad. When you prepare for bad and you get worse, it's tragic. I don't think any of you would find this place if you wanted to, but if you ever come across it, keep driving. One good thing is, I did not get food poisoning. The people there were OK and seemed very decent, but holy wasabi, the food was sub par. 2/10 rating.

Lesson I learned long ago, but forgot that day: No go to Asian restaurant where no Asian customer is in sight.

murd0c 09-01-2008 04:51 PM

Zen Japanese in Whistler 9/10

unit 09-05-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 6011327)
I've been living in North Langley for 16 or so years. I drive by this Japanese restaurant on the way home from Vancouver whenever I decide to take the 176th Street exit off Hwy 1 instead of the usual 200th exit. It's a little place called Midori on 96th Avenue. They are never open when I drive by 'cause they close at like 2 pm or something like that and they are not open on weekends. I swore that before I move from Langley, I'll go to that restaurant. Well two weeks ago, I went there with my wife and two of my kids. All I can say is, I never thought Japanese food can be that butchered. I mean, I've been to all kinds of so called Japanese restaurants run by people other than Japanese and most of them are OK. This one was by far, the worst one I've ever been to. I thought Grand Buffet sushi was blech, but this place took the cake. It was all you can eat, so I was prepared for bad. When you prepare for bad and you get worse, it's tragic. I don't think any of you would find this place if you wanted to, but if you ever come across it, keep driving. One good thing is, I did not get food poisoning. The people there were OK and seemed very decent, but holy wasabi, the food was sub par. 2/10 rating.

Lesson I learned long ago, but forgot that day: No go to Asian restaurant where no Asian customer is in sight.

what ethnicity was the chef? hopefully at least the staff was asian or you should have expected the worst and not just bad. i'd do a 180 if the sushi chef was white

cookies 09-05-2008 02:58 PM

Oishi

9/10

MG1 09-06-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6017222)
what ethnicity was the chef? hopefully at least the staff was asian or you should have expected the worst and not just bad. i'd do a 180 if the sushi chef was white

He was Asian, so there goes that theory. I think if the chef were a Jamaican it would have tasted better. It's a joke in my family now. "Let's go to Midori!" BTW, there is a Midori in Abbotsford. They have all you can eat sushi and it's not bad. Average to just above average. There is a sushi place by Joyce Street Skytrain Station that is run by a Japanese sushi chef. Cannot remember the name, but it was pretty darn good. It's on the east side of Joyce about a third of a block south of the station. I almost got thrown out when I asked if they used Atlantic farm salmon. They were insulted. Gotta love that. I hate farm salmon. Only Pacific wild sockeye or red spring for me. The guy must have been Japanese, 'cause he had some official looking certificate on the wall.

MG1 09-06-2008 03:19 AM

Isami Sushi is another excellent place for sushi. It falls into the weird and wonderful category. Run by Japanese. Slightly expensive. It's kind of hidden away. Across from Staples in Metrotown area. Not on Kingsway, but on the side street. It's on par with places like Kura.

apharmdb 09-14-2008 09:39 AM

Blackberry Cafe (8/10) at the end of No. 2 road in Steveston. Malaysian / Singapore with a slight blending of other asian influences. Everything I've tried thus far has been good to awesome.

mako 09-14-2008 03:15 PM

Grub

7/10

punkwax 09-19-2008 08:15 AM

Rugby Club
7/10 (normally an 8.5-9.5 experience for me)

Food was really good. Happy hour prices are insane.

Server sucked. He'd go missing for 10-15mins at a time. Had my friend's food order wrong, forgot the scotch list etc. Only tipped 10% as a result.

mako 09-21-2008 08:24 AM

The Boathouse in Richmond

8/10

Whiskey Crab Soup was mmm mmm good

RacePace 09-26-2008 11:17 AM

Kingyo Izakaya - 9/10

The Tuna Tanaki and Salmon Carpaccio are excellent, mainly for the ponzu sauce that they were on. The tuna tanaki has a ponzu jelly that gives it even more of a sour/salty kick, and the double texture that the tuna has is really nice because it is grilled slightly. The chicken kaarage is also very good, light and non-greasy, though they could've added more of the 3 kinds of salt, it's difficult to really taste the difference with only a dash of it.
If you want something a little bit different, the 4 kinds of cheese grated and baked on french bread definately gave us that, very nice aroma and taste to it, and wasn't as filling as I expected. Then we had the grilled saba, very tender and juicy and the taste from the onions and tomatos definately infused into the fish. We ate the hot pot last, it was just cabbage, beef and tofu, but it's all about the broth and it was incredible. Took a while for it to come though.

Service was excellent, checked up on us fairly frequently, and when dishes arrived they took the time to explain to us what they were, and for the hotpot, how to prepare it properly (lol). When our cocktails were empty, they noticed and offered us the finest of green teas. The hotpot took a while to get to us as I mentioned, but they apologized for that, I'm a laid back guy so I didn't really care about it being late.

mako 09-26-2008 03:12 PM

Ichiro

9/10

gonna go back and try the shark

rouentahl 09-26-2008 11:31 PM

L'Artista

Prawn Bisque - 8/10
Calamari alla Napolitane 7/10
Fettucine di Mare - 7.5/10

way2quik 10-07-2008 12:14 PM

Zephyr.
6.5/10

The place is all right, but two days ago me and a few friends were there and ordered some drinks and some food.

One of my friend's drink had no pearls, and this is the worst part, the waitress had a plate of fried something on our table. Not knowing which of us ordered it, they ate 2-3 pieces. The waitress comes back to apologize that it was not our order and gives it to the table NEXT to us. ?!?!?!

unit 10-07-2008 12:37 PM

shiro sushi - 9/10
very fresh and well priced

Armind 10-07-2008 12:43 PM

Moxies in Surrey/Guildford - 2/10
My food tasted like shit, service wasn't too bad.

unidentified 10-13-2008 09:48 PM

Savory Coast - 8/10

I had the Fresh Fish and Shellfish Fettucini. The pasta and sauce itself was meh, but the mussells were really good. Considering it was a big party (~ 40 people), service was great and food came really quickly.

mako 10-13-2008 09:49 PM

Pings

7/10

nothing too special considering the price

mako 10-15-2008 06:20 PM

Boston Pizza for Pasta Tueday's

8/10