REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #26
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
went and did a couple trades when i was there haha

Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

^ nice.. how much was the hotel?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #28
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
^ nice.. how much was the hotel?
it was weird on Friday and Saturday it was 350 a night but on sun-thur it was 250, we did go when the Canadian dollar was par with us so we did not loose there
Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #29
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
it was weird on Friday and Saturday it was 350 a night but on sun-thur it was 250, we did go when the Canadian dollar was par with us so we did not loose there
Hotels price their rooms & ammenities depending on their target market and their spending behaviors. They will charge more when they have more people. IE. a hotel that caters to business goers will charge less on the weekends.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #30
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Hotels price their rooms & ammenities depending on their target market and their spending behaviors. They will charge more when they have more people. IE. a hotel that caters to business goers will charge less on the weekends.
ahhhhhhhh icicic
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #31
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
im supposed to go this spring, but b/c of the bad dollar i might hold out till fall. sux!
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Was just there recently this month. Beautiful city when you're looking up.... looking down however, you'd be surprised at the amount of garbage on the streets. Can't drive there without getting honked at. I'd go back but not a place I'd want to live in, I like Boston a lot more than NYC. Oh, if it's not raining and you get splashed by a car driving through a puddle, that ain't water... it's garbage juice...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #33
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
^my coworker who used to live in nyc said that he used to think traffic lights had a built in horn that honks as soon as it turns green. here in van, ppl dont honk unless you dont move for 2-3 seconds at a green, in nyc, as soon as it turns green you get the horn.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #34
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

yup... I rented a car to drive up to Boston from NYC... If you don't gun it on the green, you get honked... you stop for a pedestrian, you get honked... you change lanes, you get honked. There's signs everywhere that says no honking all over the city but nobody pays attention. It didn't get better until I got out of Manhattan..
Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #35
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
yup... I rented a car to drive up to Boston from NYC... If you don't gun it on the green, you get honked... you stop for a pedestrian, you get honked... you change lanes, you get honked. There's signs everywhere that says no honking all over the city but nobody pays attention. It didn't get better until I got out of Manhattan..
No kidding. And no being nice either while driving in Manhattan. You have to be aggressive. You let one guy in and no one is going to return the courtesy. You pretty much have to force your way into another lane if you want to switch lanes or make a turn.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #36
RS Operative (G)

ya it was crazy when i was there, taxis do not give a shit, its brutal when a cop car or a firetruck is in time square or Manhattan they can not move
Old 11-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #37
RS Operative (G)

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #38
HELP ME PLS!!!

I'm planning to go to NY sometime during spring of next year.

I'm not planning to do much shopping, but I do intend to see most attractions. How long should I plan my trip for? Is 1 week enough to see most attractions? If I do plan on visiting nearby cities like Boston, Washington, Philly, etc, How many more days should I extend my trip? I know NY is a very expensive city, so approximately, how much money should I bring to be on the "safe" side?

By the way, this is a budget trip!

Thanks!
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #39
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

One week is plenty to see the attractions in New York... can't comment on the rest of the cities never been there. In New York, a 7 day subway pass is like $25 and it can get you pretty much everywhere. Breakfast is usually around $6-8, Lunch $10-$25 on average, dinners $20-howevermuch you want to spend. Attractions vary in price. If you want to be safe i'd budget $100 per day for everything (not including hotel). That'd allow you go to so some nice shows, pay for $9 budweisers etc.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
RS Operative (G)

make sure to go up Rockefeller or empire state building on a clear night looks amazing, priceless ( well not really )
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #41
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
new york is one of the few places on earth i want to go to, but i haven't yet.

i guess all the hollywood crap since youth has really glamorized it, it's like a gotham city to me. im not even sure it fucking exists! i gotta see it for myself.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

and then go to london.. and you realize you'd rather go to london instead
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

the only two people i know that have gone to new york and NOT enjoyed themselves were cheap and afraid of big cities, respectively.

so, unless you're cheap and/or afraid of people, go. you'll enjoy it. i love it there.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #44
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I NYC.
I the millions of different people living in that city.
they are so friendly.
the only thing i dont like about the city is the smell. You'll know what I mean...when you get there.
AppleSugary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #45
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
and then go to london.. and you realize you'd rather go to london instead
i've been to london twice... it's not what i was looking for.

i like the concrete jungle, the huge mass towers and skyscrapers

it's like walking into an old growth forest. but man made.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #46
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

^ fuck ya.

NYC is definitely a city I want to check out soon.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #47
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSugary View Post
I NYC.
the only thing i dont like about the city is the smell. You'll know what I mean...when you get there.
yeah...smells like a Chinatown back alley on a bad day.

Believe it or not, it used to be worse about 10 years ago. NYC has definitely cleaned up a lot since then.

All the cities willystyle mentioned aren't cheap to live in. I'd suggest staying outside of Manhattan if possible, since you probably won't be able to find a dumpy hotel for less than $200/night. I stay in Rutherford for work (there's a Courtyard in Lyndhurst) that has a bus that takes you right into the Port Authority station in about 30 minutes. You could also stay in Weehawken and take the ferry across to Manhattan which is even shorter. You also have the option of having it take you downtown or midtown. Never been to Boston so can't help you with that.

Last edited by syee; 12-29-2008 at 08:01 AM.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #48
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
one thing i noticed was in the urban areas, a lot of the houses use red brick.

and sheet raining, never experienced that until i was in NY... looks like in the movies!!!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #49
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
NYC is great. I've been there a few times. The first time was back in the early 90s, when my family went on a monster road trip across Canada and the states. We mainly visited with friends and family the first time, and checked out the major tourist sites, like the Empire State Building, WTC, and Statue of Liberty. We stayed in a motel outside of the city.

The 2nd time we went, some friends recommended getting a place in the city. It's more expensive, but it's worth the time saved from having to travel from outside the city. We stayed at a Quality Inn that was 2 blocks from Time Square. We had a lot more fun the second time, since we were there specifically to see all of New York. We went a few more times, and we stayed in the city. It's totally worth it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #50
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
one thing i noticed was in the urban areas, a lot of the houses use red brick.

and sheet raining, never experienced that until i was in NY... looks like in the movies!!!

you have to remember that these red brick houses were made during late 1800's when NYC was the main city of European immigrants especially during World War I and II. In order to preserve the architecture history, most of the new houses are still made of red brick houses.

it also happens here in Vancouver. when you look around the strathcona, britannia, hastings or old neighborhoods...new houses' architecture features are still same with the old house.
AppleSugary is offline   Reply With Quote