REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #376
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
This has been a pretty good thread so far.
The only thing I'm thinking about now is that when you get one bad report about one place, then people say they will never go here or there or purchase that food again, how do we know other places aren't doing the exact same thing to save money.

In the end, it's all business and everyone is trying to rake in as much money as possible. Drop some food, wash it a bit, as long as it still looks sellable and doesn't kill anyone (most cases, doesn't even make people sick), then why dump it and waste a sale. Of course I don't support this and find it disgusting, but I'm pretty sure many many places we have been to or eat at do this. It only takes one bad staff to do it.

And just because a place is higher quality or have higher paid starff doesn't necessarily mean they will behave any better. In the end, it could be the actual boss that's saying, "wtf, just pick it up and wash it and its good to go." And no staff is gonna go against the boss' decision unless he wants to potentially lose his job over some customer he doesn't even know of.

There are some pretty bad extremes where you might get a really fked up car from the lot because some dink slammed the transmission around and the car lasts two weeks after leaving the lot, but then if your sportscar was being filled with regular octane prior to purchase, you may not have caught it on the test drive, and then once you own it and use up all the regular octane, you will never notice and then the dealer got away with saving some money. A bunch of you guys may have already been a victim, but obviously too late if you didn't catch it prior to purchase. And hard to prove anyway.

So, back to my point, I'm not supporting any of this stuff. I've never been in these "serve the customer" type work before, so I don't have any personal experience of watching what kinda crap goes on behind doors. But I've already long suspected things, and after reading this interesting thread, it just confirms a lot of my suspicion. But it's not gonna stop me from shopping at places, like Superstore for example, because I'm pretty sure it's the same thing going on at Save-On-Foods, or Safeway, etc. Like I said, it only takes one retard in the staff to mess things up, it could happen anywhere. I've been shopping at those places for a decade and I haven't been sick from those places directly, so I think it's okay.

Anyway, this thread is interesting. Keep the stories coming.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #377
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee View Post
think twice about buying your food at superstore.
some of the employees don't give a fuck if they drop bread/meat/vegetables/food. they still put it out

i know this cause i used to work at the one on grandview and rupert.

I've seen rats running around in the store.
redrum781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #378
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

nasty

Last edited by Avery; 07-26-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #379
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1pkjai View Post
never take your cars to service at Morrey or purchase your car at Morrey.... they just fuck people over!!!
Good to know, I guess I wont be taking my SE-R there for regular maintenance
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #380
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Do you know petros?

He's my brother. LOL
LOL which department did he work in? cause his name sounds a bit familiar hah
emmvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #381
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post
used to work at thriftys , store i was at had a HUGE problem with rats , we used to just take hours chasing them and killing them , but they changed everything and spend some much money to make it 100% rat free now but at that time i wouldn't buy anything from the store
the whole warehouse had issues with them (they're in a new one nowii believe) the sidney store had issues with them when we expanded, they all came from the pantry and the fish and chip place next door that got torn down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Any proof of that? Better yet do you know what it takes to grow organically?
To grow "organic" produce, you need to start off with the field that is certified organic...
QFT I've heard of farms losing their certification just from replacing a fencepost or two with pressure treated lumber. (your soil gets tested before and to maintain certification)
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #382
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Organic food is a joke, nowadays you pretty much need those pesticides in order to keep all the other junk that's floating around out there away.
... you do realize that the main reason farmers use pesticides, growth hormones and other shit like that is to increase their profits?
dspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #383
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspot View Post
... you do realize that the main reason farmers use pesticides, growth hormones and other shit like that is to increase their profits?
I remember a TV series did a comparison on a few organic food vs non-organic food.

Test result was that, the organic food doesn't have much if any pesticides or chemical, but MILLIONS TIMES more bacterias on them.
The doctor and lab suggest the non-organic food is much safer for human consumption than its organic counterpart.

Farmer didn't use chemical or hormones just for profit, they use it to kill or repel insects and bacteria, and make the food taste better at a cheaper price.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #384
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
^ thats the same one I saw, and was trying to referance but was too tired to remember.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #385
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspot View Post
You do realize farmers are in a business to make money and not do things for free?
To say the main reason farmers use pesticides and growth hormones to increase profits is like saying fire is hot, or cows go moo.
But do you know why farmers do this? Whenever an insect eats some of the leaves of a veggy, guess what? They throw it away. No retail store will sell that lettuce that has been eaten by bugs. Same thing, no consumer will buy a lettuce that has been eaten by bugs.

When you look back from a consumer point of view, it makes plenty of sense. Farmers try cross-breeding different varieties of vegetables to get the best of everything. For example, veggy A is very tasty but looks like crap and has a poor yeild. Veggy B looks good and has a good yeild but taste like crap. By cross breeding and taking the good parts, they can produce a veggy that looks good, taste good, and has good yeilds.
One example of this is the peaches and cream corn. White corn is the sweetest while people think of corn as being yellow.

As for the bacteria on the produce, this is why everything needs to be washed before being consumed. Produce is grown in the outdoors in soil, regardless if it is grown locally or in the US.

I just refuse to eat any veggies from China, but that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #386
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
That might be true for most places, but I know at Starbucks they clean out the ice machine at least once every two weeks and run sanitizer through it.
not all stores did that. i worked at 2 different stores (transfer) and only once did i ever see the ice machine being cleaned out, and that was because we had a super neat freak who worked there (and i only ever saw her do it once).

ask for the pastries in the front of the case, they are usually the freshest. some pastries are said to be good for 3 days, they will be put at the back of the case to be sold first.

decaf drip coffee.. coffee is good for an hour since it's attached to a warmer, but some of the people who are lazy would let the decaf sit for 2 hours, rather than brewing another pot. the worst thing i saw was a girl who pour the 'expired' coffee into a metal pitcher and reheated the coffee using the steaming wands from the espresso bar.

oh yea, and be nice when it's 6am, not everyone is a morning person. i knew people who would give people decaf instead of caffeinated coffee and vice versa.

other than that, starbucks had some pretty strict rules with sanitation and food safety, the store i worked for anyway.
NiceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #387
I don't get it

i also worked at a cell phn company call centre. customers seem to think that by yelling at us over they phone, they could get whatever they wanted. just remember, the nicer you are, the more willing csr's are to get the job done right and fast.

i know a few people who had some pretty irate customers. they would write down customer's personal info and do stuff to get back at those customers. one of my coworkers used to prank call the customer with those soundboards over and over again until the customer broke down and started begging for them to stop. the customer just about cried.

i also know a few people who had some nice customers and without the customer's knowledge, they gave them LOTS of discounts and a freebies on their account.
NiceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #388
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Do NOT, DO not, eat at Pink Pearl.

i need not give any reasons other than the fact that my buddy works for Orkin and has to visit that place twice a month.
77endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #389
VLS Barista Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulan604 View Post
decaf drip coffee.. coffee is good for an hour since it's attached to a warmer, but some of the people who are lazy would let the decaf sit for 2 hours, rather than brewing another pot. the worst thing i saw was a girl who pour the 'expired' coffee into a metal pitcher and reheated the coffee using the steaming wands from the espresso bar.
EW EW EW EW EW. WTF. EW.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #390
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77endless View Post

i need not give any reasons other than the fact that my buddy works for Orkin and has to visit that place twice a month.

I thought he was there to eat some Har Gao's and Siu Mai's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #391
Banned (ABWS)

I worked at whitespot. triple o sauce was just mayo and some prepackaged relish, which they usually put wayyyy to much on, were talking 3 shots of mayo on the bottom with 2 scoops of relish and 2 shots on top....way too much. Everything there was basically pre made, and i never felt like it was anywhere near the quality of say cactus club or earls. Most of the employees where older east indian ladies some didnt know much english, and i wasent aloud a 2 week holiday after working there for 2 years. I hated working there, and if your thinking of applying dont bother. Oh ya and i only got paid 8.50, and trust me with all the stress and annyoing co- workers its not nearly work it.
dmc_civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #392
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
- city workers do more work then you actually think
- garbage men will take bribes from anyone
- saying "i work for the city of [enter city name here], can you cut me a deal" in the city you say you work in,usually gets you 10-20% discount...small individual owned shops usually...ex..paint shops, hardware stores, deli's...
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #393
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
You do realize farmers are in a business to make money and not do things for free?
To say the main reason farmers use pesticides and growth hormones to increase profits is like saying fire is hot, or cows go moo.
But do you know why farmers do this? Whenever an insect eats some of the leaves of a veggy, guess what? They throw it away. No retail store will sell that lettuce that has been eaten by bugs. Same thing, no consumer will buy a lettuce that has been eaten by bugs.
Yeah I know that and I know it's pretty obvious, but I was just pointing that out to the guy who made it sound like he thought that pesticides/etc. are used only to make the food healthier. The main benefit to consumers is that the food is going be cheaper and sometimes not spoil as quickly. I'm no organic food freak or anything, but if given the choice between beef that has or hasn't been injected with growth hormones, I'll choose the latter.
dspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #394
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc_civic View Post
I worked at whitespot. triple o sauce was just mayo and some prepackaged relish, which they usually put wayyyy to much on, were talking 3 shots of mayo on the bottom with 2 scoops of relish and 2 shots on top....way too much. Everything there was basically pre made, and i never felt like it was anywhere near the quality of say cactus club or earls. Most of the employees where older east indian ladies some didnt know much english, and i wasent aloud a 2 week holiday after working there for 2 years. I hated working there, and if your thinking of applying dont bother. Oh ya and i only got paid 8.50, and trust me with all the stress and annyoing co- workers its not nearly work it.
hey which one did you work at? the one I worked at had lots of old east indian ladies in the kitchen too lol
wc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #395
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
I thought he was there to eat some Har Gao's and Siu Mai's.
yumm crystal shrip dumplings

so I need toknow why not to eat at the pink pearl I've been really wanting to go there for some dim sum
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #396
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
EW EW EW EW EW. WTF. EW.
After reading all the other crap in this thread, 2 hour old coffee bothers you? wtf?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #397
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77endless View Post

Does he actually catch any vermin in their traps though? Not saying PP's the cleanest, but just because someone hires Orkin regularly, doesn't mean the place has a problem. For example, I know for a fact that Holt Renfrew downtown also has an Orkin guy come over regularly and set rat/insect traps everywhere in the back rooms, but the employee I talked to said it's more of a preventative thing.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #398
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Does he actually catch any vermin in their traps though? Not saying PP's the cleanest, but just because someone hires Orkin regularly, doesn't mean the place has a problem. For example, I know for a fact that Holt Renfrew downtown also has an Orkin guy come over regularly and set rat/insect traps everywhere in the back rooms, but the employee I talked to said it's more of a preventative thing.
do u even know the employee? if not he will obviously say that
jeem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #399
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
- garbage men will take bribes from anyone
is there a particular reason someone would bribe a garbage man to begin with...?
i mean it makes sense to bribe cops and other government officials, but what can you possibly need from a garbage man that warrants bribery?
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #400
Need to Seek Professional Help

^LOL i was wondering the same thing
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote