REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #251
My homepage has been set to RS

^ That's an interesting setup you got there. Sometimes when I start to power skate on the first stride (going after loose puck) I lose my balance like I'm about to fall back. I'm currently on the traditional 72/80.

What bearings do you use?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if you can REMOLD a boot after it's been heat molded to someone elses feet?
Advertisement

Last edited by Preemo; 05-25-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Question
Preemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #252
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

80mm all the way!!! was difficult on the first day but now its all gravy
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #253
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemo View Post
^ That's an interesting setup you got there. Sometimes when I start to power skate on the first stride (going after loose puck) I lose my balance like I'm about to fall back. I'm currently on the traditional 72/80.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if you can REMOLD a boot after it's been heat molded to someone elses feet?
i had a chat with a guy at Cyclone about this

it depends on your skates. and also how long you've been using them.
some skates aren't true heat moldable skates. and also after sometime, (2 years in the case of my ice skates) the glue and stitching sstart to wear in and heating it up would ruin them.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
You can start with 72/80. It will help you because new players tend to ride on their heels. As you get more into advance skating, you can start to change out your back wheels. I started out with 72/80. Just this yr, I started with 72/76, but in sharper turns, this combo allows you to carry your speed into your turns, I couldn't keep up, so I switched out my last wheel to a 80. So now I'm on 72/72/76/80. So far it's working good for me.

Yup, vt333 isn't good at all. I have the VT333, which is a cheaper alternative to the hotshot/hornets. How heavy you are will also play on which wheels to get. Lighter players won't really benefit on the dual compound hotshot/hornets as a heavier player would. Just because you simply don't have the weight to expand the outer compound to maximize the full dual compound technology. The VT333's are pretty good. I had my doubts, but after I broke them in during the 1st period, they've been sticking since then.
i'm not too new, just new to roller. i tend to ride on my toes cause of my ice skates.

anyhow, i'ma little confused because you said the VT333's aren't good. then you say they are.

but i'm a consistent 155lbs. or so. i'll going to try the Labeda Grippers
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #255

Haven't had a chance to whore out my gear yet so i'll go ahead, mind you some of my gear was handed down to me, others are just bought on how they felt if whether or not i could afford it

Helmet: Bauer 4500 with Itech Visor
Gloves: Bauer Vapor XXV much better than my old easton's
Pants: Some old Bauer ones (From Cousin)
Shins: Some random comfortable Koho ones (From Cousin)
Elbows: CCM Vector 04
Chest: Itech 655
Skates: Bauer Vapor VII
Sticks: Bauer Vapor XVI and XXXX both intermediate Naslund Curve.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #256
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemo View Post

I don't want to come off as an ass, but if your on 72/80 and have that "falling back" balance problem, then no wheels will help you. Your skating form probably isn't the best. I don't know exactly why your having that problem, but I'd say your upper body isn't centered properly. Possibly knee's not bent enough as well.

Bearings...I think its Abec5?

You can remold boots safely 2-3 times, but it can only be done when the boot is still new. How old are your skates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
i'm not too new, just new to roller. i tend to ride on my toes cause of my ice skates.

anyhow, i'ma little confused because you said the VT333's aren't good. then you say they are.

but i'm a consistent 155lbs. or so. i'll going to try the Labeda Grippers
Yes, I realized my mistake. VT333's are crap, I have VT733. haha..oops. For your skating, a hi - lo 72/80 is fine or you can try 72/76 or you can do what I'm doing. I find I can still carry speed into my turns, but having the 80mm at the back allows me to ride my heels a bit. I know I'm not supposed to, bad habit I'm trying to fix.

We weigh about the same. Dual compound wheels won't work for us.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #257
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
i had a chat with a guy at Cyclone about this

it depends on your skates. and also how long you've been using them.
some skates aren't true heat moldable skates. and also after sometime, (2 years in the case of my ice skates) the glue and stitching sstart to wear in and heating it up would ruin them.
you remember who you talked to ?
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerboi3 View Post
you remember who you talked to ?
White guy from the richmond Ice branch. don't know his name
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #259
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Any recommendations for skates for someone getting back into ice skating from rollerblades? Goal is to eventually get into hockey (never played), yet need some skates this winter for lessons. I sucked at ice skating and decided it is finally time to learn properly.

Comfort will be the ultimate factor for me to stick with lessons. Ice skating never stuck cause I hated my skates, yet I love my K2 rollerblades. The soft boot is sooooooo comfy, would love something similar for skates yet understand I need a hard boot for hockey.

The RBK pump skates sound good cause I usually have to readjust my rollerblades tighter, and a few quick pumps sounds better than re-tieing. Plus I see Sportchek has the 7Ks on sale.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #260
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Any recommendations for skates for someone getting back into ice skating from rollerblades? Goal is to eventually get into hockey (never played), yet need some skates this winter for lessons. I sucked at ice skating and decided it is finally time to learn properly.

Comfort will be the ultimate factor for me to stick with lessons. Ice skating never stuck cause I hated my skates, yet I love my K2 rollerblades. The soft boot is sooooooo comfy, would love something similar for skates yet understand I need a hard boot for hockey.

The RBK pump skates sound good cause I usually have to readjust my rollerblades tighter, and a few quick pumps sounds better than re-tieing. Plus I see Sportchek has the 7Ks on sale.
I have the 9K's but they are not the same as my old 852 supertacs.
Best bet would be to go in and try them on. Depending on how your foot is shaped, the 7K's or RBK's might or might not work for you.

I have very little arch on my foot, so Mission/Bauer skates are no good for me. I need a bit more padding on the ankle part so the lower end RBK skates don't work for me as good as my old 852's did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #261
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Although ice skates are generally cheaper at places like Sportchek, the problem is that the staff know very little about fitting hockey skates. I'm guilty of going to Sportchek and getting something cheap, but super uncomfortable.

Skates are the most important piece of equipment in hockey, so in the future, I will go to a dedicated hockey store (such as Cyclone Taylor) and get fitted properly for skates. Sure, you might pay a bit extra, but it'll be worth it.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #262
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Skates are the most important piece of equipment in hockey, so in the future, I will go to a dedicated hockey store (such as Cyclone Taylor) and get fitted properly for skates. Sure, you might pay a bit extra, but it'll be worth it.
That and they have the heating ovens to help mold the skates to your feet which will help the break in process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That and they have the heating ovens to help mold the skates to your feet which will help the break in process.
Sportchek has them too, just not sure if they have staff knowledgeable enough to know what temp. and how long to bake for.

Quote:

Which ice skates were you using last? Sounds like the rollerblades you were using had too much volume for your feet if you're always having to readjust it.

Don't buy into that Reebok marketing garbage though, try on as many skates in your price range as you can and pick the one that fits best. If you have a more narrow foot you might pick a Bauer line of skate, wider feet maybe CCM or Reebok.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #264
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If you have a more narrow foot you might pick a Bauer line of skate, wider feet maybe CCM or Reebok.

QFT

I couldn't buy the one90's when they came out because my feet were to wide
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
QFT

I couldn't buy the one90's when they came out because my feet were to wide
Luckily you didn't buy those, the ONE90 had so many problems with it.

I was in your boat too, I didn't fit the ONE90, even after baking, didn't fit the ONE95... but I fit the Total ONE.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #266
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Which ice skates were you using last? Sounds like the rollerblades you were using had too much volume for your feet if you're always having to readjust it.
I honestly couldn't tell you which skates I had last, it was over 15 years ago now.

I usually adjust my blades once after about 30-60 mins of blading, the laces seem to loosen up. I had the same issue with hockey skates, never able to get them as tight as I'd like.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #267
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
^ ccm/reebok have that lock system on one of the upper loops so they can't loosen... and buy wax laces too
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #268
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Anybody here use TOUR brand roller hockey skates?
Rated_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #269
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated_R View Post
Anybody here use TOUR brand roller hockey skates?
i had a pair of tour code 1 ex or whatever. tongue sucked and would always dig into my shins. the labeda chassis would always get bent whenever it took a puck, to the point where my wheels would rub like crazy. i've since replaced them with a pair of mission axiom T7. nice light skate but wish it came with stickier wheels
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #270
js
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

a combination of wax laces and lacing your skates outside in will stop your laces from getting loose. My laces used to get loose about half way through a game and iw ould need to re-tie them.

Quote:
I honestly couldn't tell you which skates I had last, it was over 15 years ago now.

I usually adjust my blades once after about 30-60 mins of blading, the laces seem to loosen up. I had the same issue with hockey skates, never able to get them as tight as I'd like.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #271

^^ Those are waxed? Looks like the stock Bauer ones?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #272
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Definitely stock.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #273
G
Banned (BBM)

Hey all,

I have a problem.

I recently got new skates (Mission) for 49.99$ (pretty good deal at SportChek). Anyways, When I tried it on (8E Size) it felt kind of tight all around, and more specifically, underneath and a little to the middle of my foot from my ankle. I told the rep this and he said that it should fit "snug" and that it might expand after they Bake it, and after you break it in. With this, I decided to get them and bake it on the spot (after you bake the skates you cannot return it). Since I just started playing ice hockey, why not get cheap skates? So, after baking them, they felt amazing (mainly cause it was hot and warm in the shoe and it felt really perfectly fit).

The next day I went to stick and puck and they definitely weren't as confortable as they were during baking. So I skated for around 2-2.5 hours and they felt like they were pinching the same spot (underneath ankle, a little to the mid of the foot). After I took them off, the spot was all red and there was also a blister (only the right foot though). I was recommended that I should buy something called Super Feet, which might help lessen this rubbing. So, two days after, I put in the Super Feet and went to a public skate for 1.5 hrs, felt a little pinching again in the same spot, and after the 1.5 hours, my left side was red, around the same magnitude as the first day, and my right foot had ripped the first layer of my skin off (circular shape), so that hurt like a bitch.

My question for all of you is, is there anyway to help attain to this? Should I sell the skates and get new ones? Is there a way to tape my feet so that they wont rip the skin or get blisters? I am around a size 9-9.5 in normal shoe size and these skates fit perfect length wise, and for width, it seems perfect except for that spot, which, is on the inside of the foot only....

Help!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #274

Were you actually sized up when you bought your skates or did the sales person just ask you what your shoe size was and gave you a skate based on that? Did you try on any other skates?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #275
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
def. stock i think he meant to show which way the laces were supposed to go in.
dim_sum is offline   Reply With Quote