REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #726
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
whats so bad about looking at the current situtation as a postive aspect?
The difference of "actually" being good, and having to tell yourself that you are good.

Hondaracer is kind of like the guy who hits on a hot chick he really wants and when he doesn't get it, tells everyone he never really wanted it in the first place.
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
umm ok? signing the sedins wasn't a splash?
No its not. You're just retaining roster. I guess in your books, a splash = "OH MY GOD THE SEDINS ARE STILL CANUCKS!!!" Nice backtrack though but you missed by a mile.

Quote:
if we signed gaborik for 7 million i would say that would have handcuffed the team, if we signed him for 4 million i'd say thats a good signing

see how that works?
Okay there hockey guru

Good luck signing a guy like Gabby for 70% of what you just gave the Sedins when you're already having a hard time signing your goalie at $8 mill. $7 mill if our luck pulls through.

And besides, how the hell are you going to beat the 29 other NHL teams with $4 million for Gabby.

Love how you think you've got hockey all figured out.

Last edited by Noir; 07-01-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #728
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
its about convincing players to take REASONABLE deals to come to a franchise that shows it has a winning culture and to play in a city which is desirable to live in

no shit gaborik isnt coming for 4 million, that doesnt mean you react in a hasty fashion and overpay for another player

We are in a fine position to move forward and there is the rest of the summer to make additional deals to fill spots on our team
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #729

Quote:
its about convincing players to take REASONABLE deals to come to a franchise that shows it has a winning culture and to play in a city which is desirable to live in
Canucks are the frontrunners of neither.

Quote:
no shit gaborik isnt coming for 4 million, that doesnt mean you react in a hasty fashion and overpay for another player
So the people you favour: Luongo's asking price of $8 million, Jbo's $6.5, Sedins' $6 is not an overpayment? But all the other Big Name signings are?

Why don't you just concede and acknowledge that players of such calibre will always cost in the same area.

Quote:
We are in a fine position to move forward and there is the rest of the summer to make additional deals to fill spots on our team
Yeah, just like we always do. Minor tweaks here and there so the team stays relatively the same and so are the results. It's not like the fans were asking for a major overhaul and a complete firesale. But they DID need a big change, a big difference.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #730
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

+1

Signing the twins ultimately means we wont get that big name FA, but MG negotiated a reasonable contract...lets hope our prospects can give us that extra edge we missed last year. Go Cody fucking Hodgson

Now we're faced with whether or not we sign Sundin and/or Wellwood. Taking them in may handcuff our prospects

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #731
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Tell me one bad move Gillis has made so far?
Letting go of Matty Oh that would have in all likelihood re-signed with us at the same/lower contract.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #732
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,600 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Letting go of Matty Oh that would have in all likelihood re-signed with us at the same/lower contract.
the blue line needs to get younger and stronger, he let him go to get the so called puck moving D which we have been needing you can't have both.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Canucks are the frontrunners of neither.

So the people you favour: Luongo's asking price of $8 million, Jbo's $6.5, Sedins' $6 is not an overpayment? But all the other Big Name signings are?

Why don't you just concede and acknowledge that players of such calibre will always cost in the same area.

Yeah, just like we always do. Minor tweaks here and there so the team stays relatively the same and so are the results. It's not like the fans were asking for a major overhaul and a complete firesale. But they DID need a big change, a big difference.

yea your right, Vancouver fuckin sucks as a city and the team is pretty much run the same as when Griffiths owned it right? with the new ownership and with Gillis taking over the helm there is a culture shift in process trying to get to the levels of the model franchises in the league, and with the resources that Vancouver has, they have a very real possibility of achieving that goal.

And yes, point a game players getting 6 million a year IS a deal regardless of how you feel about them as players, Gaborik, Hossa, etc. dont produce the numbers the sedins do, they are not as durable as they are yet they are getting paied substantially more, for what? the "intangibles" they bring? lol

it sounds like you have more of a personal vendetta to the team than an overall view on the entire situation

sure lets have a "big change" as you would say and not be able to afford to resign the players we've put long term effort and commitment towards like Kesler, and other players coming up to the end of their deals while signing players to fill temporary spots and do less then the players weve developed could have.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #734
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Ohlie is getting old and even he himself said he needed a change.
If MG was to put an offer for him he probably would have not taken it anyways.

If you have saw some of the plays down the stretch last year... Ohlund was very vulnerable against the speed of oppositional players (Gagner and Kane for example).

I find it hard to see Ohlie as a fit in the Eastern Conference with a lot of speedy and skilled players. He's not a player that he once was. I still like him as a player (and all that he's done for the Canucks) but his skills have diminished rapidly for the past few years.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #735
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

My opinion and somethign I think Noir is getting at is well is that are team is relatively the exact same as last year, minus Ohlund, plus Hodgkins, and in this position do we look like a team that will win the Stanley Cup. And while I agree their are years that are meant for rebuilding, I believe Canucks are not in this phase but rather the run for the cup phase. But do we see the team we have now, the same as last year, making it 4 rounds into the finals and wining it against a team like the Penguins? If everyone supporting Gillis feel that we can win the Stanely Cup, then fine their is no need to bash him, but to all those who don't see us in this position, then it reasonable for us to be a little upset with the situation as our team remains relatively the same.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #736

^ stereotypical nucks fan you and Noir..

the "cup phase" is the phase in which Luongo and the Sedins are signed for, that is the window you have to go for a cup

adding peices to the phase is what MG is working on, not a total rebuild roll the dice and hope things work, making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs with the core we had obviously showed MG enough potential to keep them as the core and build around them

FOR THE FUTURE

Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #737
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Based on who we have now, this is how the lines look.

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows
Demitra, Kesler, Raymond or Bernier
Raymond or Bernier, X , X
Rypien, Johnson, Hordichuk
I can see Grabner and Hodgeson getting some games in on the third/second line. It would be nice if the Nucks can hammer out a deal with Wellwood and Hansen.

Bieska, Salo
Mitchel, Edler
X , X

Do we even have NHL ready D men on the Moose?
I am going to guess Rome will be playing in Manitoba.

Luongo with Sanford as backup if they resign him. Can't see Lu playing 70+ games and only playing Schnider in 12 or so games a season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #738
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:

the "cup phase" is the phase in which Luongo and the Sedins are signed for, that is the window you have to go for a cup

adding peices to the phase is what MG is working on, not a total rebuild roll the dice and hope things work, making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs with the core we had obviously showed MG enough potential to keep them as the core and build around them

FOR THE FUTURE

Hondaracer has a good point. The team is really close to what it was last season, minus Ohlund and more than likely Sundin. But to give away the farm and sign a Gabby type player would be a really bad move for a bunch of reasons.
For one, what will happen next year when players like Kesler and Lu will be seeking new contracts. I can guarentee you that Kesler will be getting at least $2M a year, and maybe more. Lu is projected to get $8M a year. Even if he get's $7M, how much money will that leave the Gillis assuming the cap remains the same. If they are at $46m right now, the additional 2/3 M will reduce the cap space available to under $8M. If they signed Gabby for $7M, that only leaves $1M. Better hope they get 2 rookie contracts to fill any void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #739
i like gifs

Quote:
the blue line needs to get younger and stronger, he let him go to get the so called puck moving D which we have been needing you can't have both.
True...I love the new puck moving D that Gillis signed tod...oh...wait a minute.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #740

Quote:

FOR THE FUTURE

LOL, that Noir fool.. I remember him.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #741

The panic this year from RS members is not bad at all.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #742

Quote:
yea your right, Vancouver fuckin sucks as a city and the team is pretty much run the same as when Griffiths owned it right? with the new ownership and with Gillis taking over the helm there is a culture shift in process trying to get to the levels of the model franchises in the league, and with the resources that Vancouver has, they have a very real possibility of achieving that goal.

And yes, point a game players getting 6 million a year IS a deal regardless of how you feel about them as players, Gaborik, Hossa, etc. dont produce the numbers the sedins do, they are not as durable as they are yet they are getting paied substantially more, for what? the "intangibles" they bring? lol

it sounds like you have more of a personal vendetta to the team than an overall view on the entire situation

sure lets have a "big change" as you would say and not be able to afford to resign the players we've put long term effort and commitment towards like Kesler, and other players coming up to the end of their deals while signing players to fill temporary spots and do less then the players weve developed could have.
What the fuck are you talking about???

You're the one who called for the big "Splash." Little did I know that you're "splash" meant: retaining our current players, who the Franchise already had first dibs on (and didn't have to compete with the 29 other teams), and the players themselves have already expressed interest in staying longterm.

Yes, as a fan, there's a difference between you and me. You call it devotion, I call it homerism.

Quote:

FOR THE FUTURE

Unless you're putting words in people's mouths, nobody was asking for a rebuild. They were asking for an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
LOL, that Noir fool.. I remember him.
Aren't you that fool that got all cocky when the Canucks swept the Blues; Thought we were the shit and we were going deep.

I wonder where your cockiness suddenly went after that.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #743
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Holy shit, relax people....this is only off season talk lol.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #744
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

What do you think Vancouver has to give up for Phil Kessel?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #745
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
to this day, the best canucks team EVER was when it was owned by arthur griffiths. they had the best winning 'culture' so far. which is quite sad to say, because we have still not won a cup.

so yes, vancouver is NOT a city with winning culture, nor is it a city that people are flockign to come to. constant media pressure? you want to have fans, but you don't want to have the papers slaggingy your every move.

i agree with noir. hondaracer is the type of guy who thinks every canuck move/non move is smart.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
Old 07-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #746
i like gifs

Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #747
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,915 Times in 5,296 Posts
What do you guys expect though? Barring the Sundin saga last season, I cannot remember once ever in the history of the Canucks a time when they made headlines going after a big free agent or goal scoring threat.......... Bure was a draft choice that developed... who else have we ever had that was a natural goal scorer? Mogilny? That's it!

If you want big splashy deals and sexy contracts and snipers being brought in to right the ship... go to New York and become a Rangers fan... they do it every single season... however they are also horrible, horrible disappointments every single season too.

You know what other team never, ever makes big free agent splashes (save for Hossa)??? The Red Wings... I'd rather follow their model than the Rangers.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #748
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

MESSIER
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #749
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,704 Posts
Quote:
the future?
The only problem with this is that we're always saying the future.
When are Canucks going to make a real push for the cup by loading up?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #750
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
to this day, the best canucks team EVER was when it was owned by arthur griffiths. they had the best winning 'culture' so far. which is quite sad to say, because we have still not won a cup.

so yes, vancouver is NOT a city with winning culture, nor is it a city that people are flockign to come to. constant media pressure? you want to have fans, but you don't want to have the papers slaggingy your every move.

i agree with noir. hondaracer is the type of guy who thinks every canuck move/non move is smart.
LOL, you're telling me players refuse to come to Vancouver because of the media? EVERY Canadian hockey team has media pressure. Vancouver is nowhere near the media BS in cities like Toronto and Montreal. Any player who’s too afraid to be criticized by the media doesn’t belong here or in Canada and should go play down in Miami.

And please stop living in the past; Arthur and his family were amazing owners and it was amazing times for the Canucks but times have changed. NHL teams are no longer owned by mom and pop; owners that own the teams now don't give a shit about culture, they care about making a profit. In this day in age the players create the winning culture by winning games; owners come into the boardroom at year’s end and want to see how much the team made.
Closed Thread