REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #951
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
watch the local boy colin fraser not even get picked up
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #952
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I'm getting all excited for Chicago's mistake.

If the NHL tries to sweep it away or hide it without any penalties to Chicago, I can pretty much guarantee the NHLPA will file something against it. I would love for the NHL to just go hard on them and essentially make those players into UFA.

Again, if this happens, Gillis should be taking a MAJOR look into players like Barker and Versteeg. I would sign Barker to a LONG ASS MOTHER FUCKING CONTRACT.
What are you talking about?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #953
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
What are you talking about?
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283730

The captaincy should go Sakic --> Neidermayer --> Iginla --> Doan
Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #954
My homepage has been set to RS

Crosby is perfect to captain Team Canada.

He represents the new era. He is obviously the best Canadian player these past few years. This kid while young can obviously take on pressure since he's had the pressure of everyone since he was drafted. Even if he wasn't captain, wheres all the media attention going to be? On Crosby. He knows how to do interviews and he's perfect to represent Canada as team captain.

I'm sure a lot of people will say the downside is that he is young and the older players aren't going to follow his lead. But this kid while incredibly skilled puts out 110% every shift and I'm sure when those veterans see that I'm sure it will motivate their asses.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #955
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,777 Times in 916 Posts
For captain Id personally pick the following

1. Sakic
2. Iggy/Nied

Sorry that's it, if I had to pick a 4th option then Crosby but that's just me.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #956
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Iggy and then Sakic.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #957
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Captain of a team is not always the "best" player of the team, its the guy with the most experience and highest level of leadership, guys like Sakic or Iginla have proven themselves to be leaders, Crosby on the other hand, is still a few years away from being a true leader.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #958
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283730

The captaincy should go Sakic --> Neidermayer --> Iginla --> Doan
This is what I would pick as well.. Crosby can be captain but I personally think he is TOO young to captain the team in World competition. As someone said, it's not all about the skills but experience as well.. Crosby will get his chance to captain a team in the near future but for right now, he should do the right thing and have them give it to Sakic/Nieds.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #959

Crosby still has lots of time before he captains the Olympic team Canada. He still needs to learn the real leadership role from guys like Iginla and Sakic. Crosby will have his chance when he is in his prime.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #960
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Captain of a team is not always the "best" player of the team, its the guy with the most experience and highest level of leadership, guys like Sakic or Iginla have proven themselves to be leaders, Crosby on the other hand, is still a few years away from being a true leader.
It's also someone who has the respect of the other players. I don't know if that would be Crosby - true or not, he has a rep as a bit of a whiner, and while there are probably few players who don't admire his skill, I suspect there are several who don't hold a lot of respect for him. That's not someone you want as your team captain.

I think Iginla garnered himself a LOT of respect with the other players with that Linden thing... Linden was well-respected around the league, and Iggy showing him props like that must have made a good impression - he SHOWED the respect that it takes to EARN respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 07-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #961
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
Are you saying the players earnings are post-tax?
I don't believe any of the numbers you see listed in the media are post-tax.

As for Iginla I'm sure he's gained respect from many of the other players prior to Linden's final game. Team Canada should just make Luongo the captain, oh wait...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #962
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Being a captain doesn't mean you're the best player but the one that commands the most respect from all your peers. Guys like Sakic, Neidermayer + Iginla have that about them. It also works like a seniority thing as well.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Team Canada gives it to Crosby over players such as those 3.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #963
Fanboy

Why is there so much Shane Doan hate?

That guy is a complete player + leader
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #964
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Lightning deal conspicuously fast

Ohlund contract curious, to say the very least

By Tony Gallagher, The Province
July 5, 2009 10:01 AM

You don't have to look far to find head-shaking material following the July 1 free agent folly fest but the best of all might have happened 15 minutes after the opening bell.

We speak here of the curious contract signed by Mattias Ohlund, one of the classiest Canucks of all time both as a player and a person. Wishing him well in Tampa is a given, and if teams wish to throw large amounts of money around, they may as well throw it in his direction because he's been underpaid for much of his career.

Canuck management felt Ohlund's skills were slipping ever so slightly, even if he disagrees, telling the Tampa Tribune on the day of his signing that he feels at age 32 his best hockey is still ahead of him. Given all he's done for this franchise, without the cap system, they would have overpaid him on a three-year deal just to make sure he finished his career as a Canuck.

He'll be 33 by the time training camp finishes this fall and when his agent began with an opening salvo of $5 million per for five years, Vancouver quickly determined he was too rich for their blood. It wasn't fair to everyone else on his own team to pay that much.

But not Tampa. Not a team that sells $10 tickets and each year begs for NHL revenue sharing so that Vancouver fans, who so generously contribute to the fund, can shell out for such a team to take their better players. And take them at numbers which are so staggering, you're left wondering about this league and the fairness of the collective bargaining agreement.

Ohlund's deal begins with him making $4 million in the first two years, which is great, perhaps just about bang on where he should be, although the $2 million paid in signing bonus seems a bit over the top.

But then it turns into a pyramid, and Matty is mighty grateful to the Egyptians for conceiving of such a structure. At age 35, he'll begin the third year at a cool $5.5 million and follow that up at 36 with another $5 million. In fact, unless he's using a walker by then, there is every possibility Ohlund will play six of the seven seasons in the contract, the sixth paying him $2 million, something he'll not be able to replace going back to Sweden. Despite the extravagance, however, the cap number is just $3.75 million with the one or two walk-away years.

If you don't think the NHL is going to slam this loophole shut when next the CBA is opened, you probably think Bill Daly is Santa Claus.

But here's the kicker. How the hell do you agree to a contract structured so bizarrely 15 minutes into free agency without any tampering going on? How does that work?

Who proposed this deal? Did Ohlund's agent J.P. Barry have this all conceived going in and say to the first team that called: 'This is the asking price,' at which point Tampa simply said 'sold' without the slightest haggling?

Did Tampa get enough time between the hassles in their own ownership to formulate this generous payout and then present it to Barry, who was so bowled over he took it immediately?

Either scenario is about as likely as Darcy Hordichuk winning the Art Ross trophy next year, and Barry was not returning my calls to explain how this sudden meeting of the minds on such a complicated, unusual deal came to pass in nanoseconds.

To top it off, Ohlund responded with: "I was ecstatic when they first called," as if there was time for a telephone call to him. Hell, the ink was dry before you could dial enough numbers to make a call from Europe to North America or vice versa. And then the topper: "It felt from the beginning that this is the place I wanted to be."

How long had Ohlund been thinking about it? Who thinks of Tampa as the place you want to be unless you're planning on a working retirement or you're going spend a lot of time on the beach? They have good young players, but they won't be ready to win it all until Ohlund is done.

Everyone knows this type of behaviour goes on, but most agents and teams at least have the courtesy to cover their tracks a little better than this. After all, why the rush to announce it?
© Copyright (c) The Province
Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #965
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
He wants to play with Hedman!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #966
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,668 Times in 2,314 Posts
gooooooooooodbye ohlund
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #967
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Lol, more like he wants to sit on the beach in the middle of summer.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #968

damn. Wellwood elected to take the Canucks to salary arbitration. Looks like he wants more money.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283832
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #969
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
He deserves more imo.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #970
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,311 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
He deserves more imo.
I don't know man. He is so inconsistent.

Issues with the blackhawks offer sheets might be dead unless the NHLPA files for grievance.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283794

This is fucking bullshit. If the team was Canadian, bettman would be all over this shit.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #971
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

bettman is a fuckin clown
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
He deserves more imo.
How much did he get last year? Something near entry-level right? I think he deserves something like 1M+ if he can keep consistent.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #973
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

FUCK NO WELLWOOD IS MY FAVOURITE PLAYER!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #974

So what happens if the team doesn't give Wellwood a raise? Does he become a UFA?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #975
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,204 Times in 2,282 Posts
Eklund is a tool
but i like this...

Schenider for Kaberle and a 2nd rounder
Closed Thread