REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #776
Fanboy

We should sign Rick Nash next year.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #777
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
We should sign Rick Nash next year.
Kovalchuk too at $2m a piece
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #778
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
last year was lets sign gaboirk and hossa
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #779
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

You guys also need to understand that a lot of shit goes on behind the scenes. Just because the Canucks didn't pick up any of the big name players yesterday doesn't mean tha Gillis didn't make a play at them.

For all we know - he could have made good offers to the likes of Hossa/Havlat/Neidermayer/Calamari but they ended up turning it down because somebody gave them a longer term or more money. Same shit applies to trades as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #780
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this really Havlat's twitter, but if it is he sounds really bitter over the Hossa signing! lol

http://twitter.com/martinhavlat
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #781
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,777 Times in 916 Posts
^^
Agreed. People need to calm down on the panic and stop saying shit like if they were the GM they would have done this and that. You can't tell me you know for a fact that MG just sat there and didn't make any attempts on any of the free agents thus far.

Also the fact that some teams made huge splashes doesn't mean they did a great job. Montreal went off on signing players but although I give them A for effort I'm confident their team isn't exactly considered elite by any stretch right now. Making huge splashes for the sake of it is not always a bright idea.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #782
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Time will tell, but I don't think the Habs got better. In my opinion Gomez and Cam are players who need to play with great players. These guys are going to be looked at to put up great numbers. Maybe they will have good chemistry - I don't see it though.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #783
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
Nash would be a dream signing for the nucks, too bad they already have a decent goalie
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #784
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
^^
Agreed. People need to calm down on the panic and stop saying shit like if they were the GM they would have done this and that. You can't tell me you know for a fact that MG just sat there and didn't make any attempts on any of the free agents thus far.

Also the fact that some teams made huge splashes doesn't mean they did a great job. Montreal went off on signing players but although I give them A for effort I'm confident their team isn't exactly considered elite by any stretch right now. Making huge splashes for the sake of it is not always a bright idea.
Give the fans more credit. They are neither panicking nor asking for a rebuild. They are just simply disappointed.

They were just looking into this year as an opportunity to improve; Primarily with the addition of key "impact" players to compliment the current team. But instead, even if Mike did make a play for anyone, it seems like he was more pre-occupied just trying to keep this team together.

Which makes me even more confused about Luongo and his "cup-first" attitude when now he's asking for $8 million just to stay. I thought he'd be the first to advocate adding another bonafide superstar to increase the team's chances instead of asking for a bigger piece of the pie in the cap.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #785

Disapointed in what? Not jumping on somthing on the first day? I don't know if you've checked your calendar recently but there is still plenty of time to make moves to sure up the team, sure it sucks too see the big names all snatched up but that doesn't mean the team is going to look exactly how it looks now in October.

As for the Lu thing, 8 mill is all speculation so well see when the deal finally drops
Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Disapointed in what?
I think Canuckdom wasn't interested in anything else other than a big-name addition that will compliment the team. ie. Niedermayer, Heatley, JBo, Gaborik, Cammalleri, etc. which pretty much all of them are already spoken for.

I don't think anybody's buying it anymore that all we need is a "minor" addition. I think everyone's wisened up that minor tweaks to the roster only does minor difference. For example, no one cares that we signed Nolan Baumgartner.

Last edited by Noir; 07-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #787
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I think Canuckdom wasn't interested in anything else other than a big-name acquisition that will compliment the team. ie. Niedermayer, Heatley, JBo, Gaborik, Cammalleri, etc. which pretty much all of them have been spoken for.

I think everyone's wisened up that minor tweaks to the roster only does minor results in the outcome. Nobody's buying it anymore that all we need is a "minor" addition. Like seriously, who cares that we signed Nolan Baumgartner.
If you were GM, in lieu of signing the Sedins, would you have signed Cammalleri and Gaborik for the money that they got - $13.5 million? Cammalleri is a proven scorer, but not much else. Gaborik can be a game-breaker, but based on the last few seasons, he's been injury-prone. Maybe he's been fixed up - who knows? Would you have risked $7.5 million over 5 years?

On the other hand, the Sedins are no-nonsense players that make other people better. Anson Carter had 30 goals, Taylor Pyatt had 23, and Burrows had 28 with them. They can kill penalities. They don't dish out hits, but they can take abuse in the corners and have been injured a total of 25 games between them. Moreover, they don't have huge egos like Dany Heatley or Alex Kovalev (arguably still one of the most-skilled players in the league, when he feels like playing.)

I'm sure Gillis pushed hard for Scott Nierdermayer, but he lost out in the end.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #788

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I keep telling you, if the Canucks just follow Bob Mckenzie everything will be fine.

That jerk off picked Hodgson, and Schroder this year. I'm not defending him, because I think his old scouting team screwed up too many times, but Gillis's new scouts along with him have been decent in the past few years...only time will tell if they pan out as well.
WOW!

He made a good selection with a TOP 10 pick?!

He made a good choice picking a guy that was suppose to go top 15 that dropped down? DAmn!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If you were GM, in lieu of signing the Sedins, would you have signed Cammalleri and Gaborik for the money that they got - $13.5 million? Cammalleri is a proven scorer, but not much else. Gaborik can be a game-breaker, but based on the last few seasons, he's been injury-prone. Maybe he's been fixed up - who knows? Would you have risked $7.5 million over 5 years?

On the other hand, the Sedins are no-nonsense players that make other people better. Anson Carter had 30 goals, Taylor Pyatt had 23, and Burrows had 28 with them. They can kill penalities. They don't dish out hits, but they can take abuse in the corners and have been injured a total of 25 games between them. Moreover, they don't have huge egos like Dany Heatley or Alex Kovalev (arguably still one of the most-skilled players in the league, when he feels like playing.)

I'm sure Gillis pushed hard for Scott Nierdermayer, but he lost out in the end.
TBH, I was actually that naive to think that our current team was that "cup-committed" that they were willing to spread the wealth to get some returns. Mid-season I certainly thought that that's the direction the team wanted to head.

I thought our players wanted it that bad; especially Lu which is why the revelation of his current asking price surprises me.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #790
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga View Post
WOW!

He made a good selection with a TOP 10 pick?!

He made a good choice picking a guy that was suppose to go top 15 that dropped down? DAmn!

Cool it little girl. I'm just stating that in the past Bourdon was picked over Kopitar who was projected to be top 5. Canucks have drafted worse before even with high picks, at least they didnt make the same mistake the past two years. I'm not not disagreeing with you...don't get your panties in a bunch mrs. internet warrior.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #791

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=2179

PS what do you think it will cost us to get Kaberle or Phil Kessel?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #792

Canucks GM Mike Gillis was interested in Gaborik but couldn't match NYR deal

By Botchford 07-02-2009 COMMENTS(2) The White Towel

The Canucks looked into a scenario which would have seen them sign the Sedins and Marian Gaborik.
Despite a report earlier this week which suggested the Canucks had no interest in Gaborik — "none" — they looked into the possibility of handing him keys to The Garage.
But it became impossible when the New York Rangers stepped in and signed him to a five-year deal which will pay Gaborik $7.5 million a year. It's a deal that trumped Gaborik's interest in Vancouver and his investment in real estate here.
Both the money and the term surprised Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
"Long-term commitment at big money just didn't seem to make sense to me with that kind of injury history," Gillis said on TEAM 1040 Thursday
"Notwithstanding the fact we looked at those possibilities when you get to levels where you're paying those guys more than what you're paying your top guys here who are playing all the time, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
"We weren't going to go there and we couldn't go there because we weren't in a position to pay guys $7.5 (million a year)."
What likely would have made sense to the Canucks is a Gaborik deal with a term in the 1-3 year range and a cap hit of less than $6 million.
That would seem fair given Gaborik's injury history and the fact he only played 17 games last year
Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #793

Quote:
Cool it little girl. I'm just stating that in the past Bourdon was picked over Kopitar who was projected to be top 5. Canucks have drafted worse before even with high picks, at least they didnt make the same mistake the past two years. I'm not not disagreeing with you...don't get your panties in a bunch mrs. internet warrior.
You're telling me to cool it yet you're the one going around calling me a little girl and mrs. internet warrior.

Oh the irony.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #794
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Maybe later next season we'll look back and be glad we never signed Gaborik.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #795

Quote:
Canucks GM Mike Gillis was interested in Gaborik but couldn't match NYR deal

By Botchford 07-02-2009 COMMENTS(2) The White Towel

The Canucks looked into a scenario which would have seen them sign the Sedins and Marian Gaborik.
Despite a report earlier this week which suggested the Canucks had no interest in Gaborik — "none" — they looked into the possibility of handing him keys to The Garage.
But it became impossible when the New York Rangers stepped in and signed him to a five-year deal which will pay Gaborik $7.5 million a year. It's a deal that trumped Gaborik's interest in Vancouver and his investment in real estate here.
Both the money and the term surprised Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
"Long-term commitment at big money just didn't seem to make sense to me with that kind of injury history," Gillis said on TEAM 1040 Thursday
"Notwithstanding the fact we looked at those possibilities when you get to levels where you're paying those guys more than what you're paying your top guys here who are playing all the time, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
"We weren't going to go there and we couldn't go there because we weren't in a position to pay guys $7.5 (million a year)."
What likely would have made sense to the Canucks is a Gaborik deal with a term in the 1-3 year range and a cap hit of less than $6 million.
That would seem fair given Gaborik's injury history and the fact he only played 17 games last year
Makes sense, but it doesn't make sense.

His reasons to decline Gaborik was very sensible. But it doesn't make sense that just last year, he offered a 38 yr old a 2 year $20 million contract who only played half the season.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #796
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,777 Times in 916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Give the fans more credit. They are neither panicking nor asking for a rebuild. They are just simply disappointed.

They were just looking into this year as an opportunity to improve; Primarily with the addition of key "impact" players to compliment the current team. But instead, even if Mike did make a play for anyone, it seems like he was more pre-occupied just trying to keep this team together.

Which makes me even more confused about Luongo and his "cup-first" attitude when now he's asking for $8 million just to stay. I thought he'd be the first to advocate adding another bonafide superstar to increase the team's chances instead of asking for a bigger piece of the pie in the cap.
I'll definitely give some fans credit as I wasn't singling out all fans. But there are quite a few really dumb ass ones out there. You know the fire Gillis! Sign Gabby for 8 million! type of fans. The same fans that keep saying don't resign the Sedins and when asked who will you replace them with they draw blank. Some fans just really need to think before they talk. They think being a GM from the outside looking in is as simple as calling a players agent, saying you want them, and BAM it's done in an instant.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #797

Sundin is a hall of famer whose intangibles are worth as much as his production

gaborik is neither.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #798
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

It's ok guys...we got Nycholat back so everything should be fine...

All jokes aside..I'm happy that we didn't overpay anyone..and I wouldn't mind seeing Kaberle here but what would it take to get him is the question.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #799

Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #800
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Sundin is a hall of famer whose intangibles are worth as much as his production

gaborik is neither.
Did you hear Gillis on 1040 this morning? Nothing but praise for Sundin and the "intangibles" he brought to the team, especially for the young guys. From what he was saying, sounds like Sundin would be very interested in playing here again next season, and MG would be happy to bring him back, if they can get the right deal done. Obviously $10M ain't gonna happen, and Sunny would have to actually be there from training camp onward, no more parachuting in the middle of the season... but damn, would be good to see him skating with us another year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Closed Thread