REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #2151
Banned (ABWS)
 
MrGoodbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,268
Thanked 425 Times in 146 Posts
It's not even the fact that she stole; that's petty. It's her intent. This is the meat of what I responded to her dumb fucking post:

You, as a university student do not belong there as you’ve shown your inability to think critically of the situation. Your understanding of the gravity of the situation is at best a 5 year-old’s understanding of what you actually did. Did the police not make it clear that if you stayed you’ll get arrested? (they did cite the riot act) Was it not clear that you actively participated in a riot which is criminal? Were your actions not encouraging the continuation of an on-going riot? Trousers aren’t even the issue at hand anymore; it is your intent to promote anti-social behaviour. You are in no position to be making any demands to the public. How dare you justify your actions. You openly defied Canadian Law. I feel no sincerity in your piss-poor plea for mercy.

Fact is that she participated in A FUCKING RIOT. Trousers that she stole that she had no use really isn't even the issue anymore.
Advertisement
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #2152
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Zoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 1,095
Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
You know what I'd think would prevent another riot from happening again next year if we make the finals? A sh*load of riot police on the streets BEFORE the game. I'm quit disappointed in the VPD in general in how passive they were during the last game. I remember seeing on CTV one of the chief VPD officers was getting interviewed right after the game, and he was asked if there was going to be a riot or anything similar to the one that happened a while ago. He said "No, this is just another day and it can't get any worse." Meanwhile, people are burning cars everywhere, beating each other up, and looting from stores all over Downtown.

VPD needs to do whatever they can to step it up. If we can't stop the stupidity, we might as well try our best to prevent these idiots from giving our city a horrible name.

And when I say step it up, this means G20ing every fucking intersection like this:

Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #2153
#savethemanuals
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,755
Thanked 2,232 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that some of this public shaming is going too far. Especially when racist comments & death threats are being levied against the parties involved.

I would have preferred the police and judicial system take on the situation from there as opposed to the general public administering their own punishment. As we witnessed with the riot itself, the general public is full of idiots. And now, in some ways I think the social media groups have created their own mob in trying to imbue their beliefs of justice onto the parties involved in the riot.

Kev
I believe that public shaming is a good thing that will teach those who participated in the riot a lesson they will never forget.

When people say that those posting comments online have a mob mentality we should know that most of them/us just want justice as opposed to the those who wanted our city to burn.

I do agree with you that venting with hateful, racist, discriminatory messages and threats is uncalled for. In that regard public shaming has gone too far because we can vent without any of those but its the nature of the internet for idiots with anonymity to pop up here and there (we see the same on revscene sometimes).

Overall, I think that sites like http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/ should stay up.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #2154
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,223
Thanked 3,381 Times in 805 Posts
I'm blown away at how bitchy that "apology" was. It was essentially an excuse filled rant.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #2155
RS.net PIMP
 
7seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver/LA
Posts: 4,903
Thanked 3,067 Times in 828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGusta View Post
You know what I'd think would prevent another riot from happening again next year if we make the finals? A sh*load of riot police on the streets BEFORE the game. I'm quit disappointed in the VPD in general in how passive they were during the last game. I remember seeing on CTV one of the chief VPD officers was getting interviewed right after the game, and he was asked if there was going to be a riot or anything similar to the one that happened a while ago. He said "No, this is just another day and it can't get any worse." Meanwhile, people are burning cars everywhere, beating each other up, and looting from stores all over Downtown.

VPD needs to do whatever they can to step it up. If we can't stop the stupidity, we might as well try our best to prevent these idiots from giving our city a horrible name.

And when I say step it up, this means G20ing every fucking intersection like this:

While that would be ideal, the G20 is a little different as the security budget was handled on a Federal level and each country's heads of states also brought in their own security details as well. The VPD should've anticipated the situation better but even if they had, the VPD had no resources as City Hall and our Mayor wouldn't approve the extra budget and finances for the necessary resources.

On a daily basis, the VPD is already really short on budget to hire the necessary number of officers for our growing city. Someone early in this thread posted an article showing how under financed the VPD is not having enough vehicles for it's existing officers that they had to use taxis and their own personal vehicles to perform police work.


Update from VPD

Quote:
RIOT INVESTIGATION – FACT SHEET

June 20, 2011
Vancouver Police have received approximately 3500 emails, including tips, from the public at robbery@vpd.ca.

Some of these emails include:

53 with videos attached
676 with links to YouTube
708 with images attached
1011 with hyperlinks to other social media sites other than YouTube (mostly Facebook)
344 emails contain only text
280 Crime Stoppers tips received
900 additional emails have been received by the VPD Public Affairs Section. These will be reviewed for content and those with tips or information will be forwarded to robbery@vpd.ca
To date, 12 people have turned themselves in to Vancouver Police and three others to police in outside jurisdictions.

Charges

A total of 117 people have been arrested for a variety of offences, including breach of the peace, public intoxication, breach of probation, assault, mischief, theft, possession of stolen property and obstructing a peace officer.

Many charges are pending, however, formal charges have been recommended in the following cases:

Twenty year-old Edgar Ricardo Garcia of Burnaby is charged with aggravated assault stemming from an incident where two men were stabbed in the 700 block of Hornby Street on June 15.
Twenty-seven year-old Joshua Lyle Evans of Calgary is charged with possessing a weapon dangerous to the public peace. This stems from the same incident in the 700 block of Hornby Street.
A 21 year old man from Ladner with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participation in a riot. He is alleged to have broken a rear tail light and rear window of a green pick-up truck parked in the 300 block of West Georgia Street.
A 19 year old man from Surrey, with no previous criminal convictions, is facing charges of break and enter, theft and participation in a riot, stemming from an incident in the 700 block of West Georgia Street. It is alleged that he entered the Hudson’s Bay Company and stole a Coach purse.
A 17 year old youth from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of participation in a riot and of arson for allegedly lighting a police car on fire in the 100 block of West Georgia.
An 18 year old man from Delta with no previous criminal convictions is facing a charge of mischief and participating in a riot for allegedly kicking a hole through the window of the Budget Rental Car office located in the 400 block of West Georgia.
A 20 year old man from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participating in a riot after allegedly breaking a window of the Bank of Montreal located at Homer and West Georgia.
A 22 year old man from Burnaby, with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of assaulting a peace officer, break and enter, mischief and participation in a riot stemming from an incident at Library Square where he allegedly threw a water bottle at the police, broke a window and then entered a building.
http://vpdreleases.icontext.com/2011...on-fact-sheet/
__________________

13 Range Rover SC
11 Yukon Hybrid
13 Accord V6 Coupe
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #2156
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond BC
Posts: 608
Thanked 126 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
It's not even the fact that she stole; that's petty. It's her intent. This is the meat of what I responded to her dumb fucking post:

I feel no sincerity in your piss-poor plea for mercy.

Fact is that she participated in A FUCKING RIOT. Trousers that she stole that she had no use really isn't even the issue anymore.
Don't worry I'm not giving in. I will not help her!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #2157
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Anyone using alcohol and getting caught up in "mob mentality" is an idiot and just using it as a cop out.
Actually, now that I think about it...I had quite a few beers before I went downtown. I remember I started drinking when it was 2-0...
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #2158
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
Theft under $5000 is not indictable.

While I might reconsider putting her in jail (because I get the feeling a lot of people are making rash judgments, on top of the obvious reasons to point a finger at her), a permanent record and some real community service are unavoidable.
Theft under $5000 with no previous criminal record will probably end up being something like 100 hours of community service and you have to attend a counseling session or a seminar.

I have no problem with that if someone that steals a pair of pants or something. A decent punishment.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #2159
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 275
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Some pages back, there was a post about how he/she no longer feels safe knowing how many crazy people are out there after these riots. Many of them are normal regular people, but under the right condition, they become the monsters we have seen. If you felt that it was safer before, may be you should get out more or check out the news. Did you miss the gang wars, robberies, mugging, assaults that were going on? Those would make me feel less safe because they occurred anywhere and there were innocent bystanders that were caught in the miđdle which some did die. No one died in this riot fortunately. The biggest loss from this riot is civic pride, not so much monetary value. Taxes aren't going to be raised from this as we are paying a lot of taxes on everything as it is. ICBC rates aren't going to go up as the claims resulting from this riot in total will still be small compared to the overall claims for 2011. And doesn't ICBC still have a large surplus for a non-profit corporation? At worse, I could see home and business insurance going up since that has to be bought from for Insurance companies such as Dominion.
The police presence was good from what scarce resources available to them. Thumbs up to the RCMP and municipal forces for coming to help out VPD. A friend of mine who volunteers with Abbotsford PD told me many were off duty who volunteered to go even as APD had extra officers on shift. They sent 1/3 of the entire force and it still takes an hour to get there even on code 3. Consider that the last riot was in '94 and there are more people during the Celebration of Lights, I think there will be more outdoor city events in the future. Some ask why there wasn't the same police presence such as the olympics, each day of the olympics costs over $50 million and involved CSIS, the Armed Forces, RCMP and many officers from across Canada. That is nearly 1/4 of VPD annual budget. It would be like Homer Simpson becoming the Sanitation Commissioner. Of course some of those agencies would not need to be involved but the budget is still not available.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #2160
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
The couple seen here have already been identified. Go check out Captain Vancouver.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #2161
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
To be fair to the VPD for their lack of presence during the game, they had stated previously that other outdoor viewings have been very peaceful with few incidents. I was down there after game 2 and 5 and the worst thing that happened was a guy climbing up a lamp post and getting a stern finger wagging from the police and a big ass traffic jam.

They thought that we had matured enough that we could just enjoy this for what it was but some people were intent on rioting regardless and they weren't prepared for that. I'm slightly disappointed that they weren't ready but I'm not going to blame the VPD for this one because for weeks, Canucks fans showed NONE of what happened on Wednesday.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #2162
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Greenstoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,647
Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemc View Post
Camille was let go from Burrard Acura on Saturday. Needa look for a new receptionist for Saturdays now!
good luck, i hope you guys find a better looking one
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #2163
Banned (ABWS)
 
MrGoodbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,268
Thanked 425 Times in 146 Posts
Lol Camille, just erased 90% of her post leaving just her apology....I won't be an ass and post her fail blog on here
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #2164
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
That's what she should've just posted in the first place. If she did, we might all sympathize but she made a huge load of excuses.

It's like a speeding ticket. Your best chance for just a warning is just to admit that you might have been speeding and don't make excuses.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #2165
SardaukarMod
 
seakrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Salusa Secundus
Posts: 11,306
Thanked 485 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
Not sure what's up but her current blog apology got cut short. Not sure if she deleted some of the more idiotic things she said or why i can see the longer post on my iphone but not on my desktop but here's the full version:

Quote:
http://camillecacnioapology.wordpres...er-i-am-sorry/

Dear City of Vancouver and all its residents,

Yes, this is me in the picture above.
Yes, this is me in the 1:30-1:33 mark of this youtube video.

I am not proud of my actions and have made a visit to the Vancouver Police Department, over the weekend to turn myself in. This blog will serve as a public apology to those that I have offended with my actions, to clarify certain issues, and to address a few peripheral issues that I take as a concern.

My Apologies

I apologize to the City of Vancouver for participating in this riot.
I apologize to the residents of Vancouver for having to deal with the consequences of the event.
I apologize to my friends and family that have been affected by my actions.
I apologize to the Canucks for reacting in a way that is unsportsmanlike.

I apologize to Black & Lee, its employees, and all the customers who have been affected by my actions.

I apologize to Burrard Acura, my managers, my coworkers and its customers.$ In no way, shape or form does Burrard Acura condone this type of violence or misconduct. It is not necessary to associate my actions with the good reputation of Burrard Acura.

I apologize to Enspire Foundation, its’ volunteers, sponsors and supporters. Enspire Foundation is a reputable non-profit organization that does not condone violence or misconduct behaviour in any way, shape or form. To additionally make things clear, I have not been active with Enspire for quite some time now, so there is no need to associate my actions with the integrity of Enspire Foundation.

I apologize to UBC Athletics and Recreation and to the UBC Rowing Team, the coaches, the athletes, my coworkers and manager, its other employees, its participants and its clients. In no way, shape or form does UBC Athletics or the UBC Rowing team condone violence or misconduct, and should thus not be associated with my actions. To additionally clarify, I have not been a part of the UBC Rowing Team at all during the last term.

Lastly, I apologize to the Faculty of Science. The faculty of science in no way, shape or form condones violence or misconduct. My actions should not be reflective of the good research and work that they have performed.

My Story

I know a lot of you don’t believe me, but the truth is that I take full responsibility for my actions and am sincerely apologetic for what I did.$ What I did was completely out of character for me, but I did it because I was influenced by mob mentality. I want to shed light onto the thought process that was in my head so that maybe you can all get a little bit of an understanding and sympathize for people like me, who made wrong decisions but have now become victims of this social media form of mob mentality.

Why don’t I think I deserve all this treatment?

Because for one, I’ve admitted to my mistakes, two, I am ready to deal with the consequences in a judicial manner, and three, because (may I remind you that) I am responsible for theft – a fairly minor action compared to vandalism and arson. Please remember and understand that I am not responsible for the riot.

I did not vandalize any buildings.
I did not set fire on anything.
I did not break any glass.
I did not instigate the riot.
I did not physically harm anybody.
I did not jump on any cop cars.
I did not even plan on being in the riot.

On any regular day I would not condone looting.

However, at the time of the riot everything just seemed so right.

At the time, being a part of the riot was simply to fulfill the adrenaline rush I was looking and hoping for – an adrenaline rush that I previously got from post-winning games: hugging randoms, dancing on the streets, honking car horns non-stop, and high-fiving just about everybody.$ In the same way that everybody enjoyed collectively showing pride in our team, it was enjoyable to express my disappointment in a collective manor.

I had no intentions of defiling the city.$ I love Vancouver as much as you do – I’ve lived here since I was 7 months old.$ But in my immature, intoxicated perspective all I saw was that the riot was happening, and would continue happening with or without me, so I might as well get my adrenaline fix.

And what was going on my head about the stealing?

As bad as it sounds, the stealing was purely fun for me.$ I had no intentions with the product. I just wanted to get a souvenir at the time. I took two sized 42 mens dress pants. I’m a woman’s size 6-8.$ I don’t have any brothers, cousins, boyfriends, fathers, grandfathers or anything else of the like that are size 42 in mens. I did not plan on selling them either.

*FYI: The pants will be returned, but are not yet returned because the cops want to schedule an appropriate time and date to do so.

I’m a UBC student, and an adult. Shouldn’t I know the difference between wrong and right?

Well yes, I should…but in certain circumstances our perspectives get seriously skewed. It was extremely hard to see the consequences in taking a couple pants, when around me people were lighting up cars, smashing windows and inflicting physical pain on one another. My train of thought at this point was that “the place is already broken into, most of the contents of the store have already been stolen, so what difference does it make if I take a couple things?” Not convinced? Maybe Christopher Schneider, assistant professor of sociology at UBC, can convince you. In his recent quote in the Vancouver Sun he states:

“When the riot started unfolding …you have a lot of law-abiding citizens hanging around downtown who otherwise would’ve got out of Dodge…When you have a mob or riot-like activity, individual accountability tends to go out the window. People see other people setting fires and they think, ‘I’m going to set a fire too, and I won’t get caught.’ These types of people typically wouldn’t set a fire on their own.”

But still, a lot of you don’t find credibility in the theory of mob mentality

I’ve heard people discredit the theory of mob mentality in the case of the 2011 Vancouver Riot. People say that it is clearly possible not to be influenced by others, because for one, majority of people left downtown right away and didn’t participate. And further, that many people who stayed didn’t do anything but watch/take pictures/film. Therefore anybody who tries to reason out by citing the theory of mob mentality is just finding a scape goat. Not true. I would know. John Tauer, physiology professor of the University of St. Thomas would probably also know. In a Minnesota newspaper he states that “many factors…create a mob mentality — though emotion and alcohol do top the list.”

And that’s really what it was for me. I was immature, intoxicated, full of adrenaline, disappointed in the loss, filled with young rage, and have a “go-out-and-do-it” kind of personality. It had nothing to do with anarchy because I am definitely not an anarchist.$ I am a law-abiding citizen that has had a clean slate criminal record before this night.$ I had no intentions on harming the law, the city, any businesses or any people. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing and I just got caught up in the chaos.

As soon as I left the riot I knew that what I did was wrong.

As soon as I left the riot I knew that what I did was wrong. My levels of alcohol and adrenaline in my blood had seriously died down, and I was no longer surrounded by the mob. It’s a little funny to me that that was so, because this is exactly what Schneider was explaining earlier: that people lose their individual accountability when in a mob.

If I knew that I was wrong, then why didn’t I do something about it sooner?

I knew that I was going to return the pants and tell the cops that I made a mistake, but why did I wait 2.5 days instead of .5-1 day? Well, that would be out of pure nervousness…nervous to tell my parents and my sister. I was raised in a good family and I was more nervous to tell them than the cops. I had to be okay with admitting it to them before I could go out to the cops.

The infamous smile

And still, a lot of people will never find remorse for me because I had a huge smile on my face. But like I said earlier, it was fun at the time. I thought it was pretty funny because this is the only time that I would ever do something like this.$ The smile on my face was an “I’m such a badass I can’t believe I’m doing this!” kind of look.

If you still don’t believe I’m a good person, here’s a little side story for you:

As many of you already know, I am majoring in Conservation Biology at UBC. I strongly belirve in ecological conservation and sustainability. That night, I saw a few$ people that were trying to knock trees down. So what did I do? I yelled at them, saying “Pleaaseee, not the treees!!!!” And what did they do? They stopped. And I felt like a hero.

The “21st Century Witch Hunt?”

In social media sites such as facebook and twitter, we have seen the following actions regarding the riot:

mass amounts of people acting in ways that they would not normally act
people thinking its okay to harm others because everybody else is doing it as well
ensuring that peoples’ lives are destroyed, by making sure everybody collectively e-mails, phones and spams their families, their jobs, their schools, and all others that they are associated with (do it for your country! no wrath! vengeance is ours! the lives of others are miniscule the actions that they have mistakenly done!)
trying to ruin the reputation of all organizations that they are associated with
threatening associations to ruin their reputation if they do not disassociate themselves with that person
exaggerating what that person did in order to make their actions seem completely unforgivable
Does this sound a little bit familiar?$ I don’t know about you, but to me this sounds like people are trying to retaliate by yet another form of mobbing – the thing about this form of mob mentality that astounds me is that this time they’re doing it sober.$ As Beer writes in a recent blog that I ran into, “Let’s hope the guilty are found and punished, but also try to make sure the online search for them doesn’t devolve into a 21st century witch hunt.”

Furthermore, the VPD does not support the negative behaviour that has been so prevalent online.$ In fact, many of you should even be careful of what you say online, because everything that you say online is basically written in stone.$ And anything that you say can and will likely be used against you in court.$ If not in the judicial court, then in this new-aged social media court that everybody seems so happy and willing to partake in.

The judicial court is designed to give accused individuals the punishment that they deserve based on the actions that they have made, and protect them from punishments that they do not deserve.$ It is made up of people that have received years of education and training.$ This new social-media court that we see is made up of people who likely know very little about rightful punishments.$ They make decisions based on emotions and try to incriminate individuals in harsh ways that are extremely unnecessary.$ We need to leave the decision making to the experts, who can separate themselves from emotional decisions provide just punishments.

The VPD defined harassment for me the other day: that it is multiple attempts of unwanted communication.$ They further advised me to file harassment on anybody who did not leave me alone.

A Peripheral Aside: Notes on Feminism & Racism

There are a few things that I have seen on social media sites that have come across to me as a major concern.$ First off, a little bit about racism:

Since I am a Canadian citizen, I am aware of my rights.$ Let me show you a little insert from the Canadian Charter of Rights:

Equality Rights

EQUALITY BEFORE AND UNDER LAW AND EQUAL PROTECTION AND BENEFIT OF LAW / Affirmative action programs.

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Racism is not accepted in my country, so to the following people, and all others of the like, if you are going to make racist remarks, then maybe you should leave our country.


@Mo Hill, I’m glad you own a colour TV.$ I suggest also owning a time machine.$ That way you can go back to the 1960′s, when colour TVs first started selling in large numbers…and when racist remarks like yours were much more appreciated. Also, Mr. I’m-so-Canadian, learn how to spell colour right.$ In Canada we spell colour with a ‘u‘.$ It’s because we are part of the British Commonwealth.$ Were you aware of that?$ If not, try reading up on it on Wikipedia.$ (PS, that is what people in the kom-pyu-ter-world call a hy-per-link – sound it out, it’s not too hard!)$ You can click on it and it will direct you to the Wikipedia page I was talking about.$ You can also find other important information on there, such as, articles on stupidity, imbeciles and mental retardation. $ Hope that helps, xox!!!).

Here’s another thing that bothers me: why is everybody so surprised that a female partook in the riot?$ What is with this attitude that females are incapable of doing what men can do?$ Maybe it takes an event like this to show you misogynists that woman are fully capable of anything you can do.$ And if my actions lead to that revelation in your obscure little heads, then maybe it’s a good thing that I partook in this event.

My Theory & Thoughts on the situation

What do I think of this whole situation?
I think it has been completely blown out of control.
I think that people are all over my case for several reasons:

1) I’ve lived here all my life so I am bound to have made a few enemies along the way.$
It seems abnormal how passionate some people are at trying to ruin my life.$ Well you know what?$ I think it’s sad how much you all want to ruin my life and how I have become the centre of your worlds.

2) I’m a UBC student that works two jobs, volunteers and am athletic.
Well guess what folks?$ People who work hard make mistakes too.$ And to the guy who called me a “disrespectful spoiled little bitch,” you are completely wrong.$ I was raised by hardworking parents and was taught to work hard for myself.$ I work hard to pay for my own rent, my own groceries, my own bills, and my hobbies.$ I have additionally also been fully responsible for financing my own education.$ I have been working since I was 14 years old – as soon as I was legally able to do so.$ I have been responsible for obtaining my volunteer opportunities and my work opportunities.$ So please people, find it in your humane hearts to let the cops deal with the rest of this.

3) I have been dehumanized.
Nobody has sympathy for a picture.$ I have been painted out as a criminal, and not the person that I really am.$ Everybody associates me with all the bad things that have happened in the riot.$ I do not agree at all with how far the riot went.$ If you must know, I wasn’t even at the riot when it was at its peak.$ And to the girl that messaged my sister on Facebook, I sincerely apologize that your boyfriend got stabbed, but I had nothing to do with that.$ I wish him the best and I hope he gets better.$ But please separate me, and especially my family from these horrible things that have been done.$ Remember, the only thing that I did was take a couple things from a store.$ It’s fairly minor compared to the rest of the acts that were done.

4) People don’t know how else to vent their anger
I honestly think that the reason why people are so strongly targeting people like me is because people are upset.$ They are drunk off of emotions, and want to do everything they can to fix their city.$ I completely understand that and like I said, am not proud of myself!$ Collaborating to clean up the city?$ Excellent way to remediate the mess.$ IDing people?$ Very helpful for the VPD – saves time and money for the cops and in the end for our city.$ Harassing people, ruining their lives, and finding unlawful punishments?$ Not at all helpful.$ It gives the cops more things to deal with, and is in a way a form of anarchy.$ The laws were made for everybody to follow: criminals and spectators alike.$ So for you to disregard the laws makes it seem like you are an anarchist…starting a mob…based on social media…starting to get the picture yet?

Anyways, long story short, venting your anger on people does not make the situation better, so feel free to ID people and help in ways that you can, but don’t ruin our lives!

My Requests:

In the Canadian society that we all know and love, we are taught to be righteous individuals, to stand up for our rights, and to be loyal to society.$ Well great, props to everybody for being loyal to society by IDing people.$ They (we) will get what they (we) deserve.$ But you guys are completely forgetting that we have rights as well.$$ It is completely unrighteous to be spending your entire day(s) contacting us, re-posting our pictures, and having everybody collaborate to ruin our lives.$ Not even the VPD spend that much time on us, so please simmer down a tad bit.

Not only that, but Canada prides itself in being a peaceful country.$ We Canadians are loved around the world because we know how to handle ourselves and we avoid war as much as possible.$ The actions that I have seen on social media sites are embarrassing to our country and our reputation.$ These actions do not reflect the kindness that us Canadians are all known and loved for.

So please, give me, my family, my friends, my school, my employers, and everybody else or everything that I am or was associated with a break.$ It’s called mistakes.$ I learned from my mistake, I am not proud of my mistake, and I will make sure not to be influenced by people as easily as I was.$ I will make sure to make proper judgements on all my decisions in life.$ I am prepared to do community work, pay fines, and if worst comes to worst, even a criminal record.$ The same goes for Nathan Kotylak, Sienna St. Laurent, Jason Li and all the others who deserve a break.

As angry as this blog is (a natural response after seeing people repeatedly trying to – successfully – ruin your life), I am again very sorry for my actions. I have reported to the VPD, will return the pants when they want me to, and am currently waiting to see what I will be punished with.

I want to save this last paragraph to my friends and family who have supported me through this difficult time.$ Without your help I may have lost my mind already.$ To those who know me and have turned their backs on me, please delete me from Facebook and disassociate yourself from me as much as possible because I don’t want to have anything to do with you.

Thank you ever so kindly for your time.

Sincerely,

Camille Cacnio
AKA: “Looter”, “Flip”, “Anarchist”, “Criminal”, “disrespectful spoiled little bitch”, “skank”, “lowlife”, “disgrace”, “POS”, “troglodyte”, “scum of the earth”, and much much more.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by seakrait; 06-20-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: you can't hide from the internet.
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #2166
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Abbotsford
Posts: 275
Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
While that would be ideal, the G20 is a little different as the security budget was handled on a Federal level and each country's heads of states also brought in their own security details as well. The VPD should've anticipated the situation better but even if they had, the VPD had no resources as City Hall and our Mayor wouldn't approve the extra budget and finances for the necessary resources.

On a daily basis, the VPD is already really short on budget to hire the necessary number of officers for our growing city. Someone early in this thread posted an article showing how under financed the VPD is not having enough vehicles for it's existing officers that they had to use taxis and their own personal vehicles to perform police work.


Update from VPD



http://vpdreleases.icontext.com/2011...on-fact-sheet/

I agree with you on this, no money for extra people. At G20, they knew that a riot was inevitable and had the budget/manpower to deal with it. Looks like there are more riot cops in that pic that VPD had at the beginning of the game. The VPD fact sheet shows that so far all those whom have formal charges against them are males.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #2167
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,680
Thanked 1,927 Times in 612 Posts
went to hs with her hahah

whata garbage, self serving apology.

looks to immediately deflect blame by showing all the people who said "racist" things to her

it wasn't my fault, it was the mob mentality!!!!!!!!!

some people just need to shut the fuck up and take whats coming to them
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #2168
Banned (ABWS)
 
MrGoodbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,268
Thanked 425 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
Not sure what's up but her blog apology got cut short. Not sure if she deleted some of the more idiotic things she said but:


Posted via RS Mobile

you know she's not fucking sorry if she's taking shit back when people lash back at her.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #2169
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
The racist and homophobic comments in this case are not necessary. We want to get these people behind bars or some other sort of punishment. By calling people chinks or fags or whatever, we're just giving the public reason to sympathize with them and perhaps holes in the case against them.

I know we joke about this stuff on RS all the time but I've kept my chatter mostly clean during this incident for exactly this purpose. Give them nothing to doubt our purposes.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #2170
I Wanna Go Fast!
 
JDął's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 5,616
Thanked 1,643 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGusta View Post
I say step it up, this means G20ing every fucking intersection
I have to disagree with that statement. That many police causes issues like we saw at the G20 with excessive force and wrongful imprisonment.

The VPD could have handled the rioters we had with greater show of force. As soon as the first car was lit up they should have been in there with their shields boxing in the trouble and hauling them all away. Guys throwing Molotov Cocktails and other items at Police: nail them with rubber bullets, box them in, and haul them away.

I guarantee had the Police treated the first rioters like they should have, as criminals instead of just trying to intimidate them out of downtown, the chaos would not have spread. Most of the people who partook in the riots would have checked out at first sight of the Police actually taking control of the situation. Instead the Police literally let them do whatever they wanted and just told them to go home until they finally did.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #2171
I don't get it
 
Toeknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: richmond
Posts: 429
Thanked 262 Times in 50 Posts
edit...
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #2172
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Internet
Posts: 1,448
Thanked 506 Times in 105 Posts
im gonna get failed for this but am i the only one that thinks VPD handled it perfectly fine?

I mean sure they could've used more force and tazed or shot rubber bullets at people but the VPD already has such a bad rep that it would probably only create lawsuits against the VPD. I say good job VPD, only property was damaged and no one was killed or seriously injured (that i know of).

I can guarantee, if they used even a bit more force, it would probably turn into "vancouver police assault people all the time" bullshit
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #2173
#savethemanuals
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,755
Thanked 2,232 Times in 860 Posts
^ Nope, I agree with you. The police were very professional that night.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2174
SB7
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
SB7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,095
Thanked 4,462 Times in 438 Posts
"Here’s another thing that bothers me: why is everybody so surprised that a female partook in the riot?$ What is with this attitude that females are incapable of doing what men can do?$ Maybe it takes an event like this to show you misogynists that woman are fully capable of anything you can do.$ And if my actions lead to that revelation in your obscure little heads, then maybe it’s a good thing that I partook in this event."

LOL defensive bitch with flawed logic doesn't get the point at all.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #2175
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
lgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 973
Thanked 767 Times in 188 Posts

My response.

__________________
My feedback
lgman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net