REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #2376
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post

Vandalism or art?
I've seen "i love you" graffiti all over town.
Wow. I hope someone finds that person and severely beats them with a can of paint. That shit was pretty unnecessary. Graffiti can look dope but that 'I Love You' shit looks toy as fuck and just stupid. Congrats to the douchebag
Advertisement
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #2377
RS controls my life!

It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like they sanded or washed off the original messages inside the the graffiti letters? That's classless if they did.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #2378
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

which side of the bay is this i love you crap?

past by today and looks like they got some of the windows on one side up (georgia side)
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #2379
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I wrote a comment on that project's blog.

I doubt we can do anything about this but we have to assume whoever did it reads that website...or else how would they know about this thing.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #2380
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Wow, let's make this really clear: I have zero association with the people who did this.

The project does not ask people to create graffiti.

Photographers send me photos of graffiti that fit the project.

With all respect: if a photographer photographs a crime scene, does she know the identity of the criminal? Is she glorifying the crime?

No idea who did the wall. It is understandable that you want someone to blame, but it ain't me.

Thanks for being so kind, Graeme S! I guess my point is: when people spontaneously write on property that isn't theirs (like the boards), it is technically graffiti (no matter how wonderful it is). It's illegal to begin with. Maybe there's some irony here?

I personally find the cleanup effort and the messages on the boards are very touching. I hope you all saw Andy Fang Photography's beautiful portraits of people who helped clean up:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...28084840582371

Best wishes,

Sharon
SharonHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #2381
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonHarris View Post
Thanks, krazynuck, for checking facts. And for noting the wrong date -- all changed up now.

I didn't wave a magic wand in Toronto that sent Vancouver graffiti artists to the wall. My response to the whole thing:

http://www.theiloveyoublog.com/2011/...ancouvers.html

Healing wishes and peace to Vancouver,

Sharon Harris
The I Love You World Graffiti Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I wrote a comment on that project's blog.

I doubt we can do anything about this but we have to assume whoever did it reads that website...or else how would they know about this thing.
Did you not read the last page?

Your comment doesn't do anything; the owner of the blog can't control who tags what walls.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #2382
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^^ the blog is a place for people to showcase graffiti tho
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #2383
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Man up and face the consequences: a police officer’s perspective

Dustin Anderson taunting and assaulting a fire fighter at the scene.

This message is specifically intended for Dustin Anderson, but I suppose it is also a general letter to other idiots like him.

I read in the news that you intent to turn yourself in for your stupidity, for taunting police officers on the line and for trying to assault a fire firefighter. I hope there are some people who are impressed by your decision to turn yourself in. I hope for your sake, there are people who accept your pitiful attempt to minimize your actions on the now infamous nite of the riots. You see, your attempts to minimize your actions are part of the problem.

“It’s not like I was lighting cars on fire or smashing in windows.” Perhaps you didn’t damage property or smash windows, but your decision to remain in the area as part of the collective mob makes you just as guilty as the rest of the idiots in the violent mob.

You see, Dustin… it is the mob mentality that causes the riot situation to escalate. Everyone in the riot plays a role. Some people are the instigators, some are the followers, others are the supporters, but each of the people in that violent mob of idiots work together to create a situation that puts the safety of others in jeopardy.

Dustin, you and the rest of your loser cohorts were given ample opportunity to leave the area when the riot started. The warning to leave was repeated many times to the people that remained when the riot continued. You made a decision to stay and keep the riot going. I don’t doubt that you were caught up in the “excitement” of the situation… mob mentality will do that.

As a police officer, I stood the line with men and women who were required to show restraint when attempting to get the situation under control. We had bricks, glass bottles (full and empty), cans, road barricades, etc thrown at us while we stood the line and tried to protect the city. Those objects were thrown by people like you, with the intent of causing physical harm to us.

I will admit that I would have loved to have had the opportunity to kick the shit out of you and many others, but as a professional police officer working in Canada, I don’t have that right. Ironically, people like you seem to think that you have the legal right to damage property, endanger lives and bring shame to a world-class city.

Dustin (and the other idiots like you), you make it seem like you are a victim in this because you got pepper sprayed. Perhaps you were also tear gassed in the riot. Boo hoo hoo. Your being pepper sprayed was a direct result of YOUR OWN behaviour. If you weren’t acting like a moron, you wouldn’t have been sprayed.

And then to justify your actions of assaulting a fire fighter because you didn’t get the attention that you think you deserved is ludicrious. You’re the idiot who participated in a riot. You’re the idiot who taunted police as they tried to restore order to a city under seige. You have to now live with the consequences to your idiotic behaviour.

What I often find myself asking in the aftermath of this shameful day is, if it weren’t for the media images and the amazing effects of social media, how many of you morons would truly be apologetic for your actions on June 15, 2011? How many of you stupid people would continue to brag and pat yourselves on the back because you actively participated in the riot?

You can apologize all you want, Dustin. You can minimize your actions all you want. You can try to claim you were a victim in this incident, Dustin, but you were in fact an active participant who now has to face the consequences to his actions.

I’m sure you are probably a nice guy in general. You would help your friends in a heartbeat if they asked. You probably are, in general, a person who is law abiding. Unfortunately, you are also a criminal now.

Time to man up and face the consequences. I, for one, hope those consequences are harsh… even more so than the effects of the social shaming that you are now subjected to.

— a police officer, and a proud Vancouverite.
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #2384
Ubereem Mod

Someone SEND THAT TO DUSTIN!
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #2385
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
Someone SEND THAT TO DUSTIN!
Hope he has someone who can read it to him

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #2386
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I dont think Dustin will understand, because he chose to stay while the riot act was read. An act, that clearly suggests that he does not comprehend English

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #2387
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
CTV has a piece on that young kid smashing the windows at The Bay
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #2388
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
riots since Daniel never won the Hart?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #2389

LOL spotted this at the Bay today
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #2390

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Camille Cacnio's unedited apology is in like every newspaper right now, theyre having a great time picking it apart

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...e-you-mean-it/

Quote:
When you apologize for looting, you should try to sound like you mean it

Kelly McParland Jun 22, 2011 – 11:52 AM ET

As a self-admitted doer of stupid things as a teenager — a doer of many really stupid things — I’m more than prepared to give a break to some of the participants in the Vancouver riot.

For example Nathan Kotylak, the water polo player who is seen in photos trying to set a police car on fire and has apologized for his actions. Yes he needs to suffer the legal consequences, but should he be kicked out of his sport? Usually you try to get kids into sports to curb their darker tendencies.

But there’s something about the apology by Camille Cacnio that rankles. Maybe because it doesn’t really sound like she’s apologizing. “What was going on in my head?” she asks rhetorically. We don’t know, but whatever it was, it doesn’t appear she feels it’s her fault.
Cacnio admits what she did, i.e. grab a couple of pair of men’s pants that she didn’t need from a looted store. But much of the rest of her statement consists of attempts to excuse herself of blame. As in:

* I apologized, so why is everyone giving me a hard time?

* I didn’t start the riot, I just joined in. And the store was already vandalized.

* Normally I would be against looting.

* I was seized by youthful rage. (This seems to be a recent phenomenon in the excuse department. You’re allowed to get away with stuff if you’re young and angry)

* I have a “go out and do it” personality.

* I’m a major in Conservation Biology and believe in sustainability. An environmentalist! Isn’t that like diplomatic immunity?

* People lose their individual accountability in a mob, so it’s not my fault. The mob did it.

I’m sure Cacnio means well, but the attitude that filters through is one of overwhelming entitlement, denial and aversion to responsibility. As in: Why should I be held accountable for anything I do when there are so many good excuses around?

It’s entirely that sense of mindless irresponsibility that so upset so many people in the wake of the violence. Getting caught up in the moment is one thing; excusing yourself of blame because it seemed like fun at the time is something else.

National Post

Last edited by vitaminG; 06-22-2011 at 06:39 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #2391
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
lol, she's going to be eating those words for years to come. congrats on your stupidity camille!
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #2392
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPD Officer
I’m sure you are probably a nice guy in general.
Yeah I doubt that

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #2393
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
hehe....hardcore posting with the cap gun's.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #2394
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Did you not read the last page?

Your comment doesn't do anything; the owner of the blog can't control who tags what walls.
The person who tagged the walls downtown has to have found out about the project from somewhere. I'm not blaming the owner of the blog...I say that rather clearly.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #2395
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yeah I doubt that

Have you ever seen anyone that fits the douchebag description more than this group of winners? It's like they did extensive research on how to maximize their douchery.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #2396
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

haha holy shit

game over for cacnio
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #2397
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
drinking from straws=baws?
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #2398
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Cacnio on TV. How will she ever get another job? LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ter-fired.html
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #2399
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

To paraphrase Patrick Almeida (sales manager Burrard Acura): "she was here, I talked to her. I asked her, you know, "what's this", and she looked at me kinda dumbfounded".

Nice one, camille.
zephyrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #2400
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrantes View Post
To paraphrase Patrick Almeida (sales manager Burrard Acura): "she was here, I talked to her. I asked her, you know, "what's this", and she looked at me kinda dumbfounded".

Nice one, camille.
haha, when I read that part in the article, I was like