REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2476
Banned By Establishment

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Sha...280/story.html

Sorry if repost:

The more than 3,000 words posted online were called an apology and it seemed a remarkable display of contrition by a young woman caught on video looting a tuxedo rental outlet, wearing a Canucks shirt and a broad grin, during Vancouver's ignoble Stanley Cup riot. But the screed that followed dished as much justification and vitriol as self-flagellation and regret, leaving many readers cold to Camille Cacnio's reconciliation.

It is seen as the next stage in an emerging form of "electronic justice" that has accompanied the riot. The naming and shaming came first, a time-honoured way for a community to express dismay and disgust, as people posted photos of suspected perpetrators online. It was a modern version of the medieval stocks, when an offender was held in a square for public humiliation. It seemed a suitable response: a mob exposing participants in a mob; crowdsourcing v. herd mentality.

But the extent and viciousness of the online identifications and humiliation is causing discomfort as well. Self-appointed cyber sheriffs emailed the employers, family, schools of the suspects.

Now come the public apologies, as some take to the Internet to express regret, a sort of e-restorative justice.

Only this misses a crucial component, warned Rob Gordon, professor of criminology at Simon Fraser University.

"In restorative justice, you've got to face-up, 'fess-up, apologize and then move on, but this online stuff is going to last a long, long time. And it is being done anonymously," he said. The people aren't facing the owners of the store they victimized; they are facing an online mob. "This isn't restorative justice -this is no forgiveness."

Christopher Schneider, sociology professor at the University of British Columbia, calls it "vigilante justice in cyberspace.... It is a very dangerous path we're taking. It is quite unsettling. The role of social media in this is profound."

The sting of public exposure is on display in Ms. Cacnio's lengthy statement. Instead of keeping to a script of regret, more words were spent attacking her critics and justifying her action. She seems to have had second thoughts.

She has removed her original and replaced it with 400 words of contrition.

But as with most things online, words can be hard to retract.

ahumphreys@nationalpost.com
Advertisement
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #2477
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
Wow fuck the riot and everyone involved. TDF has been cancelled from the Pacific Colosseum and moved to Gossip.... and Shogun dropped out. And an official statement saying that the city didn't grant extended hours for TDF due to the cup riots.

Fuck. You.
Now tickets that were purchased for $80 are worth like 40-50.... what a fucking waste.

Keep helping vpd find these guys!!!
http://i.imgur.com/98sur.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/kL24e.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/bo5jk.jpg
Joreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #2478
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
You got name dropped in today's 24. Something about a guy getting his shins smashed in near Caprice and you driving him to the hospital.
ya i saw it. We carried him not drove him though,a nd i'm not a bouncer, but i'll take it lol.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #2479
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
Wow fuck the riot and everyone involved. TDF has been cancelled from the Pacific Colosseum and moved to Gossip.... and Shogun dropped out. And an official statement saying that the city didn't grant extended hours for TDF due to the cup riots.

Fuck. You.
According to FB page... Shogun didn't drop out, he agreed to stay to play between 9:30 to 11pm
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #2480
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
but honestly, business is just business. I'd like to think I'd take the high road and stay loyal to my employees - but if all she was to me was a receptionist, and I would receive TONS of bad press because everybody is calling to have her fired, I think I would just tell her, thanks, but maybe you should go find another job.
She can't do that job if everyone comes in and recognizes her as a looter, both for customer service and for handling payments. That should be enough justification legally, IIRC, to fire her without notice. The other way is to dismiss her with notice (ie two weeks or whatever) without giving a reason.

I believe that's how it works.... some HR pro correct me if i'm wrong.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #2481
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
She can't do that job if everyone comes in and recognizes her as a looter, both for customer service and for handling payments. That should be enough justification legally, IIRC, to fire her without notice. The other way is to dismiss her with notice (ie two weeks or whatever) without giving a reason.

I believe that's how it works.... some HR pro correct me if i'm wrong.
i can see people raiding her workplace just to give her a hardtime, i bet burrard acura nor any other employer of suspected looters wants to deal with that crap

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #2482
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Shouldn't any decent contract mention something about:

"the employee shal conduct him/herself with professionalism and maintain an image of upstanding citizenship and morality that is in-line with the organization both in an out of the workplace."

So pretty much as long as you screw up bad enough that it could look bad on your employer, you're turfed.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #2483
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Shouldn't any decent contract mention something about:

"the employee shal conduct him/herself with professionalism and maintain an image of upstanding citizenship and morality that is in-line with the organization both in an out of the workplace."

So pretty much as long as you screw up bad enough that it could look bad on your employer, you're turfed.

that mostly applys to when your on the job and not in your own free time but im sure an employer who wants to fire some one because they were in the riot could find and excuse to fire them pretty easily
no_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #2484
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
We are setting an example for the next would be rioters, thus preventing this from happening again. Next time people will know they will face more than just the repercussions of the court, they will be publicly shamed in a manner that affects their schooling, work, hobbies, family, ...

I am all for throwing a few dogs to the wolves to prevent this from ever happening again.
that`s why i wore a mask when i was rioting... derrp
Cheeseburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #2485
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
We are setting an example for the next would be rioters, thus preventing this from happening again. Next time people will know they will face more than just the repercussions of the court, they will be publicly shamed in a manner that affects their schooling, work, hobbies, family, ...

I am all for throwing a few dogs to the wolves to prevent this from ever happening again.
Now rioters face a different court room: civil.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...t.html?ref=rss

Blenz is suing all the rioters identified attacking their store. Good on Blenz, set an example of these idiots!
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #2486
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
that`s why i wore a mask when i was rioting... derrp
Hopefully a full face mask. The facial recognition systems still work with just the eyes exposed and some basic facial features identifiable. Thus those idiots wearing their shirts over the lower half of their face can still be identified.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #2487
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I imagine that civil litigation will be a huge headache (lawyers, time, cost) for those named in the Blenz example. Hopefully other businesses follow suit.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #2488

I was watching the news today before work and they had the BLENZ president on and he said that they don't care about money going to the company they only want to see their franchisee owners get money back. He also said that they want an apology first and then money as that is the only way people will learn.

He wants to get an apology for the three people locked in a storage room for one of the blenz as one of the girls is still in shock from what happened.

He also mentioned that they have so much video footage from inside the store that they would have to be idiots not turn themselves in before they come after them
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #2489
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

First I dont feel sorry for anyone that was in the riot and who has been named. I am just surprised Tim Kwong has escaped the wrath. He is the one that lit the turned over truck on fire by the post office.
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #2490
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'm going to make a shirt that says I'm a snitch or something. Tired of this stupid quasi-gangster attitude kids that listen to too much rap have these days that somehow helping law enforcement catch those who have wronged you is dishonorable.

This part makes me feel good though.

I hope more punks read this. Y'know what...I wasn't going to because I felt like the public shaming may have gone too far but I'm going to post all the rest of the pictures I mailed to VPD here tomorrow...y'know, just in case some punk ass kid wants to make himself known around here.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #2491

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Lots of people are complaining now how they are being unjustly sought after by the "social media mob."

I just find it funny how you do something so retarded.. (Waterpolo guy, Asian chick with big smile, Tim) and think that it's unfair that they're getting punished now. Sure it might be getting abit out of hand, but atleast this will teach them if they don't get prosecuted.

Think first. =]
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sol View Post
that mostly applys to when your on the job and not in your own free time but im sure an employer who wants to fire some one because they were in the riot could find and excuse to fire them pretty easily
nah usually that's not true...if you commit a crime outside of your job, the employer has every right to let your ass go. It's the law.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #2493
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
nah usually that's not true...if you commit a crime outside of your job, the employer has every right to let your ass go. It's the law.
Which is why I don't get why people (even lawyers) are trying to get off through the "rights" angle.

The rioters that were employees were actually committing crimes, therefore their employers have every right to let their staff go.

The real sticky situation is the employers who fired their staff over just posting their views on the riot rather than actively participating in it.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #2494
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,253 Times in 1,618 Posts
^ there are other precedents where employees have been fired for bad mouthing their bosses on facebook. i'm not sure if that has happened here in canada though. to answer your question, the lawyers are doing it because it's their job to spin shit in the opposite direction no matter how stupid or wrong it seems.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #2495
Need to Seek Professional Help

finally got my sound to work
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #2496
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

fuckin idiots

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #2497
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
lol doesn't even have to be a crime. remember the chick who flashed eager?
t8v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #2498
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
it's funny because these criminals will start to wine about their "human rights", and that they have no right to fire them.. honestly if you're a criminal you should just
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #2499
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted yet, following this thread has been a challenge

http://riot2011frontlines.tumblr.com...cers-letter-to

Quote:
Dear 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Rioters,
Please stop saying you’re sorry. Stop posting YouTube videos begging for forgiveness. Stop writing letters asking that society cut you some slack and leave you alone.
While you were drunk and flipping cars, I was driving with all of my emergency equipment on to get into Vancouver. While you were throwing anything you could get your hands on at the police, I was pressure testing my APR and standing in the middle of the tear gas. While you and thousands of others disgraced Vancouver and its surrounding population, I stood shoulder to shoulder with a couple hundred men and women, whom I trust my life with, ready to address your indiscretions.
You came up to me like you owned the streets in your drunken stupor, thrust your middle fingers in my face and shouted obscenities; I didn’t snap you in half.
Actions speak louder than words.
You started “harmless” fires. You torched other men and women’s cars whom you’d never met and never did you wrong. You assaulted firemen as they arrived to try and deal with your “mistakes”. You took limited, valuable emergency resources away from good people who needed them. You endangered more lives by tying up emergency services than you ever considered.
You started fights. You stabbed people you’d never met because they somehow made you angry. You gave men and women trying to protect property life altering concussions. You brought paramedics into the tear gas and exhausted them trying to save people they’d never met.
You showed up to hospital emergency rooms crying because you’d been exposed to tear gas. You got obnoxious and demanded to be treated like you were somehow dying. You knew it was a riot, you chose not to leave, you chose to stick around and breathe the tear gas in. You took nurses and doctors away from people who needed their care to live. People they’d never met but work tirelessly to save. You demanded to be treated as if you were better than the rest of society.
You’d tell me that the emergency services personnel I speak of are paid to do this job and chose to be there. You’re right. We give a damn about people we’ve never met and property that isn’t ours, that’s why we do what we do. You disgust us.
What brought a tear to my eye, after the gas had cleared, was standing in the middle of an intersection at about 3am the only people I’d seen for the last 30 minutes were other police officers, until a shop keeper brought us a case of water. Then I saw a random person with a broom clearing the sidewalk. I had a duty to respond, the citizens of Vancouver immediately afterward could have just left it up to those paid to deal with it. They didn’t just stand by, they came out in force and cleaned up after your indiscretions. Everyone I saw that early morning thanked me, I was only doing my job. I have the utmost respect for all of the people from Vancouver and the surrounding areas that came downtown and volunteered to clean up after you.
You owe Vancouver and the surrounding population more than mere words. Don’t you dare ask for our forgiveness without taking responsibility. You can’t fix life altering injuries with an “I’m Sorry”. You can’t repay someone’s car loan with a YouTube video. You ask that people leave you and your family alone but you offer no way to replace priceless losses.
You’ll sleep soundly in your bed tonight because men and women like me will always be there to deal with your poor choices. You have no idea how fortunate you are, even after we arrest and charge you. Even though you disgust me, if you call for me in the middle of the night I’ll respond. I’ll protect your life and property because it’s right and it’s what I do.
The evening of June 15, 2011 fellow emergency services personnel, my brothers and sisters, left our families at home and while grossly out numbered stood to fight. The morning of June 16, 2011 the true heroes emerged to volunteer their time and restored my faith in humanity.
Actions speak louder than words. What are you going to do about that?
— a police officer from the suburbs, who was called in to serve and protect on that night; a proud Vancouverite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #2500
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, following this thread has been a challenge

http://riot2011frontlines.tumblr.com...cers-letter-to
This is absoutely wonderful... Love it.. Damn it, can't share to facebook
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote