REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #2226
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
Dustin Anderson is going to turn himself in, but not without taking a few jabs at the Fire Department:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...prochazka.html
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2227
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Think about it, say 5% of the 100,000 were rowdy and trouble markers that's basically 5,000 thugs and criminals that the cops have to deal with. No way in hell would even 1000 cops make a difference. Like someone already said, trouble was brewing well before the game started. Biggest mistake was allowing that many people in a such a small area. Multiple sites might have worked better.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #2228
I am grateful grapefruit

I think having a location further away from businesses would be better. I understand that it'd be harder for the general public to get to, but being in the middle of nowhere means that the crowd would disperse a bit better. and like Jah Dean said, multiple sites is the key.

And honestly, I'm hoping that the GVRD as a whole pays for the costs - not just City of Vancouver.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #2229
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
^Stanley Park?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #2230
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
^Stanley Park?
I could see that working - or maybe PNE as well? like a big outdoor screen there?

but there isn't mass transit at that area. Problem is we only have 2 lines (2.5 lines) of mass transit....
Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #2231
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Dustin Anderson is going to turn himself in, but not without taking a few jabs at the Fire Department:

Wouldn't anyone agree that punching someone is worse then breaking some windows? Who does he think he is.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #2232
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I could see that working - or maybe PNE as well? like a big outdoor screen there?

but there isn't mass transit at that area. Problem is we only have 2 lines (2.5 lines) of mass transit....
Did you see the trash left behind on the nights where there was no trouble? The park would get trashed and if it did I can see people having a fit and looking for blood. I know I would.
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #2233
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

wow. yet another rioter who a) surrenders only out of fear and b) uses the
"at least i wasnt as bad as that othee guy" excuse.

so fuckig pathetic. grow somw fucking balls and own up to your actions.
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #2234
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
I was re-reading the thread where the guy wrecked his BMW by driving it into a lamp pole and then asked revscene to help him get away with it and avoid all responsibility for the damages and the danger he left behind. In that case he was only trying to get out of paying an insurance premium surcharge, which isn't a huge price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/total....html?t=645309

A number of the outraged people in this thread were supporting the OP's criminal behavior in the other thread. Or, they were criticizing and/or failing the poster(s) who were in favor of reporting him to authorities.

Talk about double standards.
totally missed that thread what the fuck....

lol @ all the fails on SoulCrusher because he forwarded it to the rcmp wtf?? lol
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #2235

Quote:

they need to build a super state of the art screen in surrey and a humble one in vancouver. then send 75% of police to the surrey one lol
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #2236

Quote:

What a joker.

The firefighters came into fight the car fire and get the fuck out and as cruel as it sounds they weren't obligated to help anyone that was injured because not only were they in direct danger but also the fire truck was a nice big shiny target for the rioters.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #2237
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Lets just say from a budgeting standpoint Robertson would much rather have insurance pay out than to have to pull money out of his ass to staff that many cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGusta View Post
You know what I'd think would prevent another riot from happening again next year if we make the finals? A sh*load of riot police on the streets BEFORE the game. I'm quit disappointed in the VPD in general in how passive they were during the last game. I remember seeing on CTV one of the chief VPD officers was getting interviewed right after the game, and he was asked if there was going to be a riot or anything similar to the one that happened a while ago. He said "No, this is just another day and it can't get any worse." Meanwhile, people are burning cars everywhere, beating each other up, and looting from stores all over Downtown.

VPD needs to do whatever they can to step it up. If we can't stop the stupidity, we might as well try our best to prevent these idiots from giving our city a horrible name.

And when I say step it up, this means G20ing every fucking intersection like this:

Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #2238

Quote:
Reports say there was an estimated 400-500 officers downtown. But experts have said, even if there were 1000 officers downtown - with a crowd size of 100'000 - if things suddenly go sout (like it did that night), 1000 officers would not have been enough to quiet it down quickly. They would still have had to redeploy (like they did) in riot gear. Having 1000 officers already in riot gear within a giant crowd like that would just be asking for trouble.

People don't understand what it's like for the police to try to handle a massive riot. Going up against the few who are causing the most amount of damage is useless. All you will do is just rile up the crowd, causing more violence and more agitated rioters. lets say you have 100 cops deployed together, but you're going against 1000 rioters - you will definitely be overwhelmed very, very quickly.

It's almost like a battle - they disperse the crowd, so they get put into smaller crowds, where hopefully, people disperse. You can't just right away say, "they lit that car on fire, we need to stop that right now", but there are thousands of people surrounding it, watching it.
i agree: the police are not at fault and from what i hear did a good job of surrounding thr douchebags into one small area. thr problem wws that everyone knew there would be a riot and nothing was done to plan appropriately in terms of limitig the crowds downtown. the "well game 6 and 5 were ok" excuse doesnt fly because nobody riots in game 6 or 5. as shitty as it is, for events of this size there needs to be some sort of filter. either have several big enclosed and policed venues within which to watch (like durin the olympics) and charge up the ass to get rid of the trash or dont have anything public at all, at least not downtown. i think the latter is more realistic. hate to say it, but we dont deserve a public space anymore...2/2 times idiots rioted. there are obviously too many assholes in this city that the choice for the rest of us is either to give up on some of these priviledges or pay money to clean up the dipshits' mess each time
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #2239
SardaukarMod

IIRC, both the City and the Province were asked for funds/more staffing by the VPD. Both Gregor and Christy Clark said no. In fact, Christy Clark said the Province would pay for the parade. Pffft, way to put your cart before the horse.

The VPD only has a finite number of officers as well (around 1300). Not all of them are frontline officers. The VPD won't state how many were at the Live Site but keep in mind that you can't have all 1300 officers there. There still is the rest of Vancouver to patrol. There are still robberies to solve, murderers to track, rapists to catch. Also, there'll be officers that'll be going off shift and trust me, although overtime money is good, you can only keep going for so long.

So really, the VPD were up shit creek without a paddle. They were left high and dry by the City and the Province and they did the best with what they had. Only when the riot started did the necessity of more officers to protect life and property become so important that cost stopped being a factor. Then Abby PD and Surrey RCMP and other detachments sent in some officers to back up the VPD. Don't recall seeing any RCMP officers dealing directly with rioters though. I think they were there mostly for containment.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)

Last edited by seakrait; 06-20-2011 at 10:00 PM.
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #2240

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
that Zac Chan dude looks like Patrick Chan lmaooo. I bet you that Camille chick is a hardcore bandwagoner..she joined in on the riot to fit in, like how she started watching hockey to fit in.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #2241
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Geez, I sure hope people don't completely forget the poor public image the VPD had before this riot.

Munny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #2242
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
250,000 people were downtown for the olympics on that saturday and sunday. not only was there no riot, but there werent even any incidents or fights or anything. i dont think there woulda even if we lost the gold. the reason? the idiots got shunned in the first week of the olympics, and everyone downtown in the 2nd week, and last weekend, was there to have a good time. people went downtown for game 7 planning on rioting regardless of the outcome of the game. shit, even my friends in kelowna here were joking around game 5 saying "we should head to vancouver for the riots, win or lose, for game 7". EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #2243
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
250,000 people were downtown for the olympics on that saturday and sunday. not only was there no riot, but there werent even any incidents or fights or anything. i dont think there woulda even if we lost the gold. the reason? the idiots got shunned in the first week of the olympics, and everyone downtown in the 2nd week, and last weekend, was there to have a good time. people went downtown for game 7 planning on rioting regardless of the outcome of the game. shit, even my friends in kelowna here were joking around game 5 saying "we should head to vancouver for the riots, win or lose, for game 7". EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
Like Jim Chu said, the demographics was very different as well. the people out on the street had a much larger range in backgrounds and ages, while for Game 7, it was mostly a younger crowd. I knew tons of families who didn't want to deal with the crowds so they stayed home to watch.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #2244
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This one wins for youngest at the riot. Where are there parents.

GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #2245
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^^ He obviously never got the belt from his parents yet.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2246

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
parents are probably surrey jack/jacktress
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Belt is weak, Indiana Jones' whip would work better.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #2248
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
It's not too late,he's still at the young tender age where he can still recieve a good ass whooping with a belt.

Shit,if his parents won't do it,I will gladly whip his ass for them.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #2249
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZilla View Post
This one wins for youngest at the riot. Where are there parents.
cooking curry back in surrey and blaming Canadians for being racists while their son trash the city with a bunch of other kids
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #2250
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum since the beginning of the riots as its been a great source of info. I thought I'd share a video of the supporters of the Whitecaps who displayed their love for Vancouver this last Saturday. Great job everyone.

Smapti is offline   Reply With Quote