REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST in BC?
Yes: Bring Back GST + PST @ 12% 186 42.18%
No: HST to decrease to 10% over 3 years (10% in 2014) 255 57.82%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Are you in favour of extingushing the HST?

Yes or No

Vote. Voting ends August 5th.

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/vanco...revisited.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/vanco...t-us-more.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/vanco...uly-1st-4.html

Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

is the decrease to 10% confirmed though as I thought it is just proposed??

The one thing that is sad to see is the vandalism to the signs....(pro and against)

I saw on the news about the signs on the island be changed as well as the signs on the way to UBC i see have black writing on them
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #3

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
fuck HST. and if it gets "extinguished" they better get rid of the SST as well. I am tired of paying 12% on used cars bought from Private Parties

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
is the decrease to 10% confirmed though as I thought it is just proposed??

The one thing that is sad to see is the vandalism to the signs....(pro and against)

I saw on the news about the signs on the island be changed as well as the signs on the way to UBC i see have black writing on them
It's official. The Feds "made it the law"

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
If you're a low income earner, you want the HST gone cause it is costing you more.

If you're a mid-high income earner, you want the HST to stay cause once its gone, income tax will have to rise to offset the $1.6B we'll have to give back to the feds.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

My mom has a business so HST benefits us. So yay for HST.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The issue that I have is that Falcon mentioned that if PST/GST is brought back, he is not going to guarantee that previously PST exempt products will remain that way. Thus if he removes those exemptions, we're just back at paying 12% again.....
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
doesnt the HST not go down to 10% until 2013 or something like that if voted in?
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
If you're a low income earner, you want the HST gone cause it is costing you more.

If you're a mid-high income earner, you want the HST to stay cause once its gone, income tax will have to rise to offset the $1.6B we'll have to give back to the feds.
That's only temporary though. I guess for a low income earner - you can only really look at the short term. But HST's benefits won't really show up until a few years down the road.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #10

I wouldn't mind the hst if all the companies that are benifitting from it will pass their savings along to the consumer. Dunno if that'll happen tho.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
If it is a free market and very competitive, then yes, eventually those savings will trickle down. But if it's a company where there are a lot of fat cats and benefits (ie. government, crown corporations), then probably not so much.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
JF.
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

So what's the pros/cons between the hst and the gst/pst? Beside the percentage.
Posted via RS Mobile
JF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

it's a class war

bourgeoisie wants all the burden on the proletariat.

wake up people.
SFUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #14

imo voting either option sucks. people still end up paying more tax compared to pre hst.

if hst does get extinguished and the gst and pst sytem is reinstated. like someone said earlier, the goverment pretty much made it clear that the exemptions under the old system will not come back if the gst and pst is brought back. so, what that means is that everything might still end up being tax gst and pst combined at 12%. This whole exercise ends up being a vote on what to name our 12% tax.

if hst stays, well obviously big businesses benefit. poor people pay more tax. no more exemptions. trickle down effect is a troll concept. the reduction to 10% is a few years away and there are no guarantees how long it will remain at 10%.

either way, the average citizen still loses because tax payer are going to get the bill for the goverment to do studies and research, implement the hst, the cost of making this referendum happen, all the logistics, manpower, and all other associated costs.

those sneaky bastards.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
If it is a free market and very competitive, then yes, eventually those savings will trickle down. But if it's a company where there are a lot of fat cats and benefits (ie. government, crown corporations), then probably not so much.
Actually, its more the big companies that prevent corporations.

Take, for example Loblaws, which owns:
Extra Foods, No Frills, Superstore, T & T. etc.

you're really shopping at the same store since it's not an actual competitor.

Or Best Buy and Futureshop. Same owners.

We need to prevent oligopolies or monopolistic behaviours.

Edit : Sorry - prevent competition , not corporations
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
if hst stays, well obviously big businesses benefit. poor people pay more tax. no more exemptions. trickle down effect is a troll concept.
the statement: "poor people pay more tax." is a bit misleading and short-sighted I think. Technically, EVERYONE is paying more tax. The HST doesn't "pick on" any income level because it's a consumer-tax. In fact, because it's a consumer tax, those who spend more will actually pay more tax. Certainly, those with tighter budgets will feel the increased tax more at the immediate change. But how much more? If a household lives off of $1000/mo (ie. for food, restaurants, entertainment, gas, etc) and now has to pay 5% more on that entire $1000, that is only $50 more a month.. It is unlikely that the entire amount will now be taxed 12% vs 7% before.

So if a higher-income household spends $5000 a month, they are paying 5x more tax in the form of HST than the household that spends $1000/mo.

As for trickle-down effect...
The HST does make business accounting a lot more efficient (and hence operations), and technically, that should bring better selection/better pricing fro the end-consumer. To what degree that ends up benefitting the end-user is to be determined.
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
Need to Seek Professional Help

In theory, HST would be better...but realistically it's unlikely the benefits businesses receive will trickle down to the average consumer.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #18

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
In theory, HST would be better...but realistically it's unlikely the benefits businesses receive will trickle down to the average consumer.
communism works in theory as well. HST is a cash grab plain and simple. now the government is making it seem like the people are the bad guys trying to get rid of the HST. saying things like it will cost us more in the end and so on... The only reason it will cost us more is because the government brought in the HST without ever getting a public opinion about it. if this was to happen in europe, entire cities would shut down in protest... but here in Canada, we just bend over and take it...

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk_stir View Post
the statement: "poor people pay more tax." is a bit misleading and short-sighted I think. Technically, EVERYONE is paying more tax. The HST doesn't "pick on" any income level because it's a consumer-tax. In fact, because it's a consumer tax, those who spend more will actually pay more tax. Certainly, those with tighter budgets will feel the increased tax more at the immediate change. But how much more? If a household lives off of $1000/mo (ie. for food, restaurants, entertainment, gas, etc) and now has to pay 5% more on that entire $1000, that is only $50 more a month.. It is unlikely that the entire amount will now be taxed 12% vs 7% before.

So if a higher-income household spends $5000 a month, they are paying 5x more tax in the form of HST than the household that spends $1000/mo.

As for trickle-down effect...
The HST does make business accounting a lot more efficient (and hence operations), and technically, that should bring better selection/better pricing fro the end-consumer. To what degree that ends up benefitting the end-user is to be determined.
sorry you are right. EVERYONE pays more tax. my original point is that they shouldn't messed with the old system that worked. the 10% reduction should have been alongside the hst when it was first introduced and not used as a trump card to get votes now. having the 10% right from the start would have made the transition smoother and less people would have been opposed of it. the extinguish hst movement wouldn't have the traction it does now. pov from a simpleton.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #20

Even if the HST was introduced at 10% you are still paying more for alot of things. People would have still been against it especially if they had a damn vote on it in the first place. I agree however that they should have left the old system in place.

Last edited by Prolowtone; 07-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
the province needs to bring in a certain amount of money. whether they do that jointly thru HST, soley thru PST, or thru income tax increases, they are going to get it.

going thru the hastle of overturning the HST is not going to save you a penny outside of the short term. infact, it may cost more even straight from the get go.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
It's official. The Feds "made it the law"
anti-hst ppl make it sound like there are lot of things that can happen from now to 2013 which would make 10% HST not happen
so i don't know what to belieave...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
I don't get it

Yes, because getting rid of the HST means that you'll pay less taxes... *cough cough*.

The government will ALWAYS find a way to raise more money. They can do this through a myriad of ways such as raising transit prices, environmental taxes, income taxes, etc.

Getting rid of the HST will creates more headaches than it solves, since the government will have to do tons of paperwork and backtracking.
darkfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

Seriously, why the fuck are they letting people vote NOW when they didn't let people do it when they brought in the HST?

We are in a lose-lose situation...we are the losers regardless if it's GST+PST or HST.

I don't know what they are trying to accomplish with this vote It seems like a total waste of money to me

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #25
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I sent in my ballot. Keep the HST.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote