REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST in BC?
Yes: Bring Back GST + PST @ 12% 186 42.18%
No: HST to decrease to 10% over 3 years (10% in 2014) 255 57.82%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #251
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
ALRIGHT GUYS IT'S SUNNY! LET'S ENJOY THE SUN AND CHECK OUT CHICKS IN BIKINIS AND SHORT SHORTS CAUSE THAT SHIT WON'T LAST!!!!
I'm in Puerto Rico...taking a short break to wait for the torrential rains to stop but it looks like it's clearing up.

...you wouldn't believe some of the bikinis here...
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #252
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I feel trolled. I'm gonna get laughed at on Monday as all my co-workers are against the HST and I'm the only one for it.

On a side note, I'm not gonna change my tipping practice even though it's 5% once more. I'll still tip as tho HST is in effect.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #253
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'm in Puerto Rico...taking a short break to wait for the torrential rains to stop but it looks like it's clearing up.

RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #254
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

no pics no care

you of all people should know to host then post
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #255
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
ALRIGHT GUYS IT'S SUNNY! LET'S ENJOY THE SUN AND CHECK OUT CHICKS IN BIKINIS AND SHORT SHORTS CAUSE THAT SHIT WON'T LAST!!!!
Amen to that.

Broadway from Cambie to Burrard and beyond............ damn.

Too much eye candy - gonna go blind. And that's not from fapping, LOLOLOLOL.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #256
MG1

Quote:

or lack of...........
Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #257
Banned (ABWS)

Ontario is happy

"..HST rejection in B.C. actually good news for Ontario: finance minister
By Romina Maurino, The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 19 minutes ago....tweet4EmailPrint......TORONTO - Ontario will benefit from rejection of the HST in British Columbia because the move to scrap the tax in the west makes Ontario a better place to invest, Finance Minister Dwight Duncan said Friday.

"They will not have as competitive a tax system as us now, and they will now have a real dilemma about the $1.6 billion they have to return to Ottawa," said Duncan.

"B.C. has taken a giant step backwards."

Ontario moved to the HST at the same time as B.C., but the reaction in Ontario was much less visceral.

The governing Liberals attribute the more muted opposition to a rebate package that accompanied the change.

Unlike in B.C., Ontario also didn't introduce the HST after within months of an election campaign that promised not to raise taxes.

But the Ontario Liberals did bring the tax changes during a mandate won after promising not to repeat their 2003 ways, when Premier Dalton McGuinty imposed a "health premium" after promising no tax hikes.

Ontario is heading into its own election campaign in just over a week, however, and while the province wasn't required to hold a referendum, the Oct. 6 vote will be the first opportunity people get to express their feelings about the tax change.

The Progressive Conservatives have wasted no time in dubbing Premier Dalton McGuinty "the taxman" over the HST, and are urging voters to turn the election into their own referendum.

"I just find wherever I go, people want relief," said PC Leader Tim Hudak.

"They're saying that they're getting nickeled and dimed to death, and that hurts businesses, especially small business, when people have fewer dollars in their pockets."

Both the Tories and the New Democrats have promised to take the HST off hydro and home heating bills, with the NDP also promising to phase the provincial portion of the HST off gasoline.

"Liberals in BC and Ontario have proven that they're not listening to families struggling to pay the bills," said Paul Ferreira, NDP candidate for York South-Weston.

"BC voters made it loud and clear the HST is a bad deal. Voters in Ontario will have that opportunity in the upcoming election."

Duncan has said he's only heard about the HST from a couple of voters while he's been out knocking on doors, and he isn't worried about its impact on the upcoming election.

Neither the Tories nor the NDP, he pointed out, are planning to scrap it.

"They rail against it and keep it," Duncan said. "I don't think we want a leader who says one thing about a tax and then does another."

The B.C. tax was killed with 54.73 per cent of voters turning it down and forcing the government to revert to a provincial sales tax.
...:
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #258
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Ontario is happy

...:
This is true, a bunch of film and tv production will be setting up in ON instead of BC. Luckly for me, I travel on productions with the majority of my clients.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #259

I am so disappoint
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #260
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Yay, eating out will become cheaper again!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #261
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
as for the story of Ontario lets not miss what's being said in the article about an impending election and the person that's happy about it is the guy who rought the hst to Ont and he's looking to get reelected
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
time to hit up mcdonalds!
Posted via RS Mobile
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #262
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig View Post
Your reasons 1 and 2 are flawed. Since the HST has started all raw materials have sky rocketed, your costs have gone up not due to HST; but due to the cost of raw materials. You're bills from your suppliers now include HST, which you should not be passing on to your customer. That HST is given back to you as a credit when you file your business taxes.

You don't need multiple steps in a production chain, you just need multiple times the product has been flipped. Any of the products you purchase and put into a home are bought and sold in Canada multiple times. Taking out a compounding PST should in effect lower your costs.
My logic for number 1 is sound. No matter how you cut it, a 7 percent increase on service based industries is a huge jump, especially when my invoices are 5 digits.

Reason 2, I can see the confusion. It may be flawed, and it may not..the issue being the best the no side had to offer is "businesses SHOULD be able to lower prices". There was no guarantee that was going to happen.

On pst exemptions:

You can bet that each and every one of those exemptions will be back. At some point, they comme up for election, and if the pst isn't just the way they found it, they will be the ones left with 2 seats in legislature, and they know it.

Any talk before hand was fear mongering.

I think ultimately, that 1.6 billion will disappear. I can't picture one of our gov'ts fucking the other one over.

How many billions of dollars have we kissed quebecs ass with?
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #263
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
no pics no care

you of all people should know to host then post
AND NOT A SINGLE FUCK WAS GIVEN.

Yeah, that's not creepy at all.

"Hey, can I take your picture so that a bunch of assholes on the internet can fap to it?"
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #264
MG1

Quote:
AND NOT A SINGLE FUCK WAS GIVEN.

Yeah, that's not creepy at all.

"Hey, can I take your picture so that a bunch of assholes on the internet can fap to it?"
you could be a little more creative............ like RC truck with cam.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #265
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
you could be a little more creative............ like RC truck with cam.
...because that's LESS creepy?

What you just mentioned is exactly what the weird dude in shitty teen movies would do to get shots of girls in their swimwear.

You really are a creepy old man, aren't you?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #266

or you could pretend to be taking pictures of your vacation and these hotties just keep getting in the way of the scenery

scurd?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Beer will now be more expensive.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #268
MG1

Quote:
...because that's LESS creepy?

What you just mentioned is exactly what the weird dude in shitty teen movies would do to get shots of girls in their swimwear.

You really are a creepy old man, aren't you?
Being old, ok, I can't help that. My comment was a joke tying the two threads together. I never had to do shit like that, buddy.

At your age, you should be taking action, not posting shit on a forum. At your age, I wasn't talking shit, man. Didn't have time for that.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #269
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
One of the difficulties with treating a tax writeoff as though it were a discount is that the writeoff appears at the end of the year as a reduction of the further taxes you need to pay, whereas the hst you pay initially is an operating expense.

I don't want to generalize, but there are a lot of companies essentially working job-to-job, and they can't count on a tax rebate to lower their costs. How many people would lease a nicer car or spend more on going out knowing "my tax rebate in april will pay me back for this". Even if it does, you're still paying up front and have less money in your pocket for the rest of the year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #270
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Being old, ok, I can't help that. My comment was a joke tying the two threads together. I never had to do shit like that, buddy.

At your age, you should be taking action, not posting shit on a forum. At your age, I wasn't talking shit, man. Didn't have time for that.
I didn't say I don't have pictures. Just saying I'm not going to post them for you jerks to fap to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
or you could pretend to be taking pictures of your vacation and these hotties just keep getting in the way of the scenery

scurd?
There's easier...less creepy...ways. Y'know...like talking to them?

All hot girls want to model...whether they know it or not.

Anyways, enough about this. I gotta go out in 10 minutes. Back to how repealing HST is killing BC.

...I won't post bikini pictures because I think that's a violation of trust but...maybe when I get home, I'll show you guys some topless zombie hotties from last week.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #271

Quote:
There's easier...less creepy...ways. Y'know...like talking to them?

All hot girls want to model...whether they know it or not.

...I won't post bikini pictures because I think that's a violation of trust but...maybe when I get home, I'll show you guys some topless zombie hotties from last week.
you're the one that wanted other options other than talkin to em :P
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #272
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

you guys have steered this thread into a different direction...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #273
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
It's kind of turned into a thread about hoes, strippers and titties.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #274
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
If the HST didn't get voted down somehow I can't see the anti-HST people dissing the opposition for being uneducated.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #275
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
One of the difficulties with treating a tax writeoff as though it were a discount is that the writeoff appears at the end of the year as a reduction of the further taxes you need to pay, whereas the hst you pay initially is an operating expense.

I don't want to generalize, but there are a lot of companies essentially working job-to-job, and they can't count on a tax rebate to lower their costs. How many people would lease a nicer car or spend more on going out knowing "my tax rebate in april will pay me back for this". Even if it does, you're still paying up front and have less money in your pocket for the rest of the year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Most businesses report HST on a monthly or quarterly basis....

and you do realize if they report at the end of the year, they are also able to keep the HST they collected from the customer for the rest of the year as well (which is usually greater than the HST they paid out...thus giving them more money in the pocket for the rest of the year)

bottom line, for 90%+ of the businesses out there, HST is a good thing
(the only type of business that will be worst off are service based companies that face a lower demand & sales because of increased tax cost for the customer.)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote