REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST in BC?
Yes: Bring Back GST + PST @ 12% 186 42.18%
No: HST to decrease to 10% over 3 years (10% in 2014) 255 57.82%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #101
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, but nobody has come out to say that the PST exemptions will be reinstated if GST/PST comes back. SO assuming that the exemptions will not come back, you are still paying 12% tax on everything you buy instead of 10% with HST (if it stays at 10%). If the previous PST exemptions are not promised, there is no benefit whatsoever in getting rid of the HST, NONE.

If we go back to GST/HST, we have to give back the $1.6B the feds gave BC for switching to HST and that will be raised through increased income taxes. It has already been stated and nobody will dispute that HST streamlines processing both for the government and for business operators, and is a draw for business and can help the economy grow.

Like others have expressed, I initially hated HST more because of how it was forced down our throats and the loss of previously PST exempt items. I have come around to realize the benefits it can provide, but understand at the end of the day that HST will not be saving me any money even if it stays at 10%. My fear is that the benefits of HST to the economy will be lost on those who have not done their own research but are still harbouring ill thoughts on how HST was rolled out and are going to vote to get rid of HST just because it is HST (ie. not using their own logic) to make a point to the Liberals, nobody wins with this scenario.

Let's face the facts, the gov. will get their money one way or another. The only thing you can do about that is to vote for the gov. you like. I do not like the Liberals, but the NDP?? uhm, yeah, no thanks been there done that. So at the end of the day, what choice do we really have. If the previous PST exemptions are not promised, there is no benefit whatsoever in getting rid of the HST.
That's exactly what one of my co-worker keep saying. He kept saying about it's a matter of principle so he'll vote yes to get rid of HST.
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #102
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Because of the following:

A brief history of the HST.

The north American ecomony goes to crap. I forget names here, but someone sits Campbell down after the election, and says the deficit is going to be way worse than we previously thought.

Campbell, a person who pounded the NDP on their spending, and bookkeeping can't come out and say, oops, we goofed. Then thinks back to the offer made to Ontario for their HST-a billion+ dollars as a reward.

Now, question one: Why would the federal gov't, running in their own deficit offer provinces a billion+ dollars to merge taxes? Shutting down the PST isn't going to cost anywhere near that amount.

So, the HST comes flying in. On top of that billion dollars, there is also the opportunity to slam tax on many things previously exempt. Even more money.

So, the whole thing comes down to politics. Campbell was trying to save his ass. End on a high note. The whole HST thing dies down, he spends a year dealing with that, then 2 fucking around, and retires. The new guy has a year in the chair to make a name for him/herself. By that time, we've been paying out the pooter for 4 years.

So...here is where they can stick the HST...straight up Campbell's ass. That man did wonderful things for this province for 8 years, and after that election, started screwing the pooch.

Whenever I hear HST, I think lies, and I think bullshit. It's straight up politics. And queen Clark and her families first shit can line up next.. I can't stand the woman. And I certainly don't need her trying to buy votes with the money that I've paid in on a tax that no one supported.

Why did no one support it? Because it was all so Campbell didn't have to tell the NDP that he was just as fucking stupid as they were.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #103
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,715 Posts
Voting Yes.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Voting No, Keep the HST.

I have my reasons, but it is interesting reading other members reasons.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #105
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
That's exactly what one of my co-worker keep saying. He kept saying about it's a matter of principle so he'll vote yes to get rid of HST.
My coworkers said the same yesterday at lunch, they just want to punish the Liberals for how they brought in the HST. Then I explained that we're upper middle class incomes (software developers) and if the HST does leave a hole in the budget (which no-one can confirm, yet everyone can agree there will probably be a huge hole) it will likely be filled with higher income taxes (which again, no-one can confirm, yet everyone agrees that a return of the PST/GST hurts business so corporate taxes will not be raised, thus income taxes are the next best bet).

After that explanation you could almost cut the tension in the room with a knife. Those who voted yes were rethinking it, cause at our salary levels if they do punish income tax, we're going to feel it much worse than HST.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #106

Is voting no to the HST really going to punish the Liberals though?

Gordan Campbell is gone and now has a plum government job as Canada's high commissioner to Britain which is one of Canada's highest diplomatic posts.

I wonder how reflective the RS poll is relative to the BC population.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #107
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Is voting no to the HST really going to punish the Liberals though?
Exactly. There are many people in the population who are too ignorant to do their own research, and will vote yes just to stick it back to the Liberals for imposing the HST. The only people they will be punishing is themselves, and the province of BC.

At first I though Bill Vanderzalm was the man, sticking up for the people against HST with nothing to gain himself. Now that I understand the situation more, I really don't know what he is fighting for. We are paying more due to HST only because of the lost PST exemptions. But if GST/PST comes back and the exemptions are not, we end up paying the same or more as HST anyways.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #108
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
voting yes
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #109
I bringith the lowerballerith

Voting No.
Beleive it or not.
Savings are being passed to the conusmers.

Coles Notes for the lazy

Actual Paper
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #110
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

voted yes...

i have a feeling with HST going down...they'll try to recuperate the money somehow...so something is bound to go up...promise you it won't be services going up...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #111
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Voted no and that's thinking they won't reduce the HST.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #112
My homepage has been set to RS

I voted no as well

Voting yes doesn't punish the liberals, only voting them out of office will.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #113

Poll has been up for a week now and the "No" side has held the lead the entire time.

Yet, the "Yes" side seems to be the most vocal. :IDL :noob:

Last edited by adambomb; 07-15-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: changed smilies. :D
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #114
My homepage has been set to RS

I voted no, for a lot of the same reasons that were described on this page, so I won't go through it all again.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #115
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Why can't they give us 12% HST , and have the previous PST exempt items, HST exempt?

What are the downsides of that?
Because the whole 'savings for business' is a front to introduced the new tax exemption laws. It's a attempt to distract you from the fact that they are increasing taxes on things that were exempt before. It's essentially a cash grab.
I agree with saving money with HST, but sneaking in a new tax exemptions rule with it is just dirty.

If I could make a ballot, I'd make it:

Keep HST, but revert any tax exemption changes back to it's original state.

But thats not gonna in this cash grabbing govt.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #116
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Because the whole 'savings for business' is a front to introduced the new tax exemption laws. It's a attempt to distract you from the fact that they are increasing taxes on things that were exempt before. It's essentially a cash grab.
I agree with saving money with HST, but sneaking in a new tax exemptions rule with it is just dirty.

If I could make a ballot, I'd make it:

Keep HST, but revert any tax exemption changes back to it's original state.

But thats not gonna in this cash grabbing govt.
but with HST - any items that were previously PST exempt but were charged GST, will get charged the full amount of HST. There isn't any way around it. That's how HST works.

People also forget there are things - like liquor which actually has a decreased tax rate with HST.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #117
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
but with HST - any items that were previously PST exempt but were charged GST, will get charged the full amount of HST. There isn't any way around it. That's how HST works.
Clearly there is a way around it, like the items below, it's just a matter of whether they want to provide a way for the exemptions to exist with HST (read, no cash grab). These were all PST exempt but charged GST before:

The following are exempt from the B.C. provincial portion of sales tax.

Books
Children’s-sized clothing and footwear (if your kid is big and needs adult size clothing, too bad for you now)
Children’s car seats and car booster seats
Diapers
Feminine hygiene products

More in depth: HST Exemptions and HST Rebates in BC | HST in Canada
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #118
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
My pay got nerfed but my employer is making more money than ever

Stupid humans.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #119
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post

People also forget there are things - like liquor which actually has a decreased tax rate with HST.
"The BC Liquor Distribution Branch has announced today that the "liquor board markup" on all products will be increased as of July 1, 2010 as part of the implementation of the HST. The introduction of the HST means that the provincial sales tax on alcohol will actually go down from its current 10% to the 7% provincial component of the HST (the 12% HST is made up of 7% provincial sales tax + 5% federal sales tax). In order to prevent consumers from actually receiving a break on the introduction of the HST (maybe that would have been a good idea?) ... the government had previously announced that they would increase liquor board markups to compensate. "

source: BC Increases Wine Markup From 117% to 123% - Wine Law in Canada and BC

it walks like a duck
it quacks like a duck
it looks like a duck
then it must be a duck!

Lets cut the bullshit and call the hst what it really is - a cash grab from the bc gov't to help fill a deficit.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #120
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
so has all of RS voted?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #121
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

no...the people who complains alot haven't...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #122
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
The president of my company just sent another company wide email urging all the employees to vote no. Jeez.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #123
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Lets cut the bullshit and call the hst what it really is - a cash grab from the bc gov't to help fill a deficit.
Since you put it that way, I'm all for filling a deficit! Keep the HST
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #124
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
I work in the film industry, and HST means more shows and movies coming here. I want it to stay.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #125
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Voting no. Other than some of must use items (food, cable, internet, gas.....) if I don't spend I don't have to pay HST.

However, if HST is gone and we go back to GST/PST. I am pretty sure the gov will raise other tax (gas taxe, income tax....) to make back the millions we loan from the federal gov and THOSE TAXES I HAVE TO PAY NO MATTER WHAT.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote