REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #15826
I STILL don't get it

...wat.
Advertisement
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #15827
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
Just had kind of a shitty workout after 6 hours sleep and 3 the previous night. AK
though I did hit a new pr for deadlifts (320 x 2) everything else ducked. That inflammation in my forearms is getting worse. I'll increase my fish oil and pop ibuprofen before my next workout
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #15828
I STILL don't get it

don't know if you guys have voltaren emugel over there, but if you do give that a try. anti inflammatory just like ibuprofen
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #15829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
Can you please explain why you go fasted, and eat your full meal a whole after after your workout?

For me, I stopped taking protein shakes and get enough of it through my diet.

--------------------------------

Update:
PR's this week
Squats 315*3 =[
DL 445*2
DB benchpress 100*12

6ft tall (OR 5 ft 11.5 inches [someone outed me on today])
9-11% BF
178lbs
Sure I'll find the interview with Ori from the warrior diet. He's kind of a dork, but has said some interesting things about insulin sensitivity right after a workout. It's just something I am trul
I am trying for a bit to see if it cuts fat a bit faster and improves my insulin sensitivity, which sucks after 20 years of eating garbage.

Actually he says to not even have whey for 20 to 40 mins, so I am doing that right now. Gives me time to get my tan on

It's the diet Ronda Rousey used for her cut btw
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #15830
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
So I'm reading some of these posts, and a few of you have plateaued on DLs. I noticed that most (all?) of you guys do a lot of reps per set, and sometimes a lot of sets too. I used to subscribe to that mentality too, albeit, to a lesser extent. I think I remember reading that some of you guys do like almost a 5x5 for DLs, once or twice a week. DLs being tremendously traumatizing to the body, I stopped doing them more than once a week. In fact, I went from DLing once a week, 3x5 or 4x5, down to maybe DL'ing once every week or once every 2 weeks, with 1x5, 1x2, and finally 1x1.

So for me it would go:
-first set, warm up, five reps at 255 lbs
-second set, 1 set of 2 reps at 285 lbs
-final set, 1 rep 305 lbs; sometimes 1 more rep after resting a min or so.

DLs have always been a struggle for me. I've been doing it for probably 2 years and I've reworked my form over and over. At the beginning of this year, I probably maxed out at 285x2 tops on my absolute very best days. Having switched to less frequent DL, with fewer sets and fewer reps, I've pushed pass my plateau. I now subscribe to Christian Thibaudeau's perspective, explained in this video starting at 3:30 to the 5:40 mark.
Deadlift - YouTube

Essentially, Thibaudeau says that there's really no point in cranking out 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, to failure etc reps per set for DL, because every rep after the first rep is not the same in form or execution as that very first rep. It makes sense to me because I believe I lagged behind so much in DLs in the past partly because I was wearing myself out during my way up towards my last, heaviest set. With a lower back like mine, made out of jello and toothpicks, it's more efficient and sensible to do lower the reps and sets. Also, on the heaviest set, that 1 rep I do I know with almost certainty that I'm executing it with precision. But I don't think this solely applies to people like me. I think some of you guys could benefit from it as well.
If you guys want to talk about training smart, if you know you can do 225x10 easily, 245x10 easily, and 255x10 easily for your first 3 of 1,000 sets, why not just cut it down? Instead of going 225x10, 245x10, 265x10, 285x5, etc then finally reaching your last and heaviest set. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you have no problem with 225-285lbs...
Noobs benefit from high volume. That's why 5x5 programs are such great beginner programs. After a while the gains will stop and people move onto programs with lower volume, e.g. 1-2 working sets per exercise (assuming they're training for strength) .
As for only doing 1 rep... that's a bit too extreme for most. I've heard best strength gains are in the 3-5 rep range. If you're worried about form deteriorating on deadlifts, reset completely between reps.

1 rep training is necessary for powerlifters however. But I think it's more for "skills" training, so that they won't miss a lift because their technique went to shit when the weight got heavy. But please correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to justify doing 1 rep sets all day and get strong lol.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #15831
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
So I'm reading some of these posts, and a few of you have plateaued on DLs. I noticed that most (all?) of you guys do a lot of reps per set, and sometimes a lot of sets too. I used to subscribe to that mentality too, albeit, to a lesser extent. I think I remember reading that some of you guys do like almost a 5x5 for DLs, once or twice a week. DLs being tremendously traumatizing to the body, I stopped doing them more than once a week. In fact, I went from DLing once a week, 3x5 or 4x5, down to maybe DL'ing once every week or once every 2 weeks, with 1x5, 1x2, and finally 1x1.

So for me it would go:
-first set, warm up, five reps at 255 lbs
-second set, 1 set of 2 reps at 285 lbs
-final set, 1 rep 305 lbs; sometimes 1 more rep after resting a min or so.

DLs have always been a struggle for me. I've been doing it for probably 2 years and I've reworked my form over and over. At the beginning of this year, I probably maxed out at 285x2 tops on my absolute very best days. Having switched to less frequent DL, with fewer sets and fewer reps, I've pushed pass my plateau. I now subscribe to Christian Thibaudeau's perspective, explained in this video starting at 3:30 to the 5:40 mark.
Deadlift - YouTube

Essentially, Thibaudeau says that there's really no point in cranking out 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, to failure etc reps per set for DL, because every rep after the first rep is not the same in form or execution as that very first rep. It makes sense to me because I believe I lagged behind so much in DLs in the past partly because I was wearing myself out during my way up towards my last, heaviest set. With a lower back like mine, made out of jello and toothpicks, it's more efficient and sensible to do lower the reps and sets. Also, on the heaviest set, that 1 rep I do I know with almost certainty that I'm executing it with precision. But I don't think this solely applies to people like me. I think some of you guys could benefit from it as well.
If you guys want to talk about training smart, if you know you can do 225x10 easily, 245x10 easily, and 255x10 easily for your first 3 of 1,000 sets, why not just cut it down? Instead of going 225x10, 245x10, 265x10, 285x5, etc then finally reaching your last and heaviest set. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you have no problem with 225-285lbs...
I lift for sports and general reasons. Not to post up big weights for my one rep maxes. That's my justification for usually doing 5-6 sets of DLs.

Usual working sets
315 lbs * 10
355 lbs * 8
405 lbs * 5
315 lbs * 8
225 lbs * FAIL

For my weight, I feel that dealifting 4 plates is way more than enough. I don't plan on going any heavier even know I can. My 1RM before was 465 lbs. It's my personal opinion that doing more reps is healthier for me. Then again, my numbers aren't too shabby either. =)

Last edited by Splmash; 04-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Splmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #15832
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Sure I'll find the interview with Ori from the warrior diet. He's kind of a dork, but has said some interesting things about insulin sensitivity right after a workout. It's just something I am trul
I am trying for a bit to see if it cuts fat a bit faster and improves my insulin sensitivity, which sucks after 20 years of eating garbage.

Actually he says to not even have whey for 20 to 40 mins, so I am doing that right now. Gives me time to get my tan on

It's the diet Ronda Rousey used for her cut btw
I always thought you should eat right afterwards because your body starts burning away if you don't replenish (your body needs glucose or something like that).

And is cutting weight your main goal right now? And wouldn't Rousey's or any MMA fighter's cut be unhealthy to sustain?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #15833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
I always thought you should eat right afterwards because your body starts burning away if you don't replenish (your body needs glucose or something like that).

And is cutting weight your main goal right now? And wouldn't Rousey's or any MMA fighter's cut be unhealthy to sustain?
Muscle loss due to diet is not an immediate thing. You'd have to work out fasted and not eat AT ALL for several weeks, to start seeing problems with muscle loss.

Rousey's diet was specifically to go down a weight class while not only maintaining mass and strength but BUILDING it. So it's the perfect diet to be on for "body recomposition". It's not an old school "get really big and strong, then cut like crazy for a week" and imo we'll be seeing more and more athletes doing it this way. Especially if they eventually fix the weigh in method.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #15834

Here is some info on why I am trying continuing my fast about 30 mins post workout:

About high carb right after workout:

Quote:
after training your muscle becomes temporarily insulin resistant. Putting a high glycemic fuel in your muscle right after exercise will jeopardize energy utilization and disrupt your insulin sensitivity.

One of the biggest misconceptions is the idea that an insulin spike is necessary for boosting protein synthesis in the muscle. The truth is quite different. The real factor is not insulin spike but rather insulin sensitivity.

It has been proven that as long as insulin sensitivity is high, even low (fasting) insulin levels along with amino acids will be sufficient to trigger mTOR/AKT – the cellular pathway that deposits protein in the muscle towards repair and growth.

Overly spiking insulin with simple carbs immediately after exercise impairs insulin sensitivity
About releasing fatty acids with a workout, and keeping them from being re-added to fat cells:
Quote:
exercise only initiates the first phase of fat breakdown; it does not grant the completion of the fat-burning process.

After exercise there’s a substantial increase in the level of circulating free fatting acids coming from adipose tissue, and unless these are mobilized to the liver and muscle for final utilization, most of them will be re-esterfied into triglycerides and re-deposited back in the fat tissues.

In order to grant an effective completion of the fat-burning process you must manipulate your muscle to suck in the circulating free fatty acids that were released by exercise. And the way to do that is to wait for 30-60 minutes after exercise before having your recovery meal.
Where does the fat go then? Glycogen in the muscles:

Quote:
your body regards glycogen replenishment as a top survival priority. And that’s what happens after intense training: your body is forced to swiftly convert fatty acids into glucose, via gluconeogenesis, which are then used for glycogen replenishment in your muscle.

What this means is that fat breakdown and utilization reaches a peak, not during exercise, but right after exercise. Importantly, this process can only reach its peak in a fasting state. It will be utterly inhibited by carbohydrate feeding.
So when DO we eat carbs?

Quote:
The right time for eating carbohydrates is at night when the muscle is no longer insulin resistant like it is directly after training. For effective glycogen loading, eat slow-releasing complex carbs from whole plants the night before training or competition.
So it is broken down like this... For people wanting to lose fat and gain strength:

Quote:
If your goal is to burn fat and build muscle, you must take advantage of the post-exercise window of opportunity. Avoid feeding for 30-60 minutes after training, and then have 40-60 grams of whey protein with no sugar added for recovery. To further enhance muscle build up, have a second recovery meal – same amount of whey protein – about 60 minutes later.
So it breaks down like this

Quote:
30-60 minutes after exercise: 60g whey in water.
60 minutes later (for maximize muscle growth): 60g whey in water.
Then you eat for the rest of the day... If fasting, you would have about 100g of protein to have by the end of the day. Pretty easy, but for me it just works better to do the 60g 30 minutes after, then go have a meal, and maybe have another shake later, and then dinner.

I dunno it might all be bullshit, but it makes sense to me. Easy enough to do, so I'll give it a shot.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #15835
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
^ By that guideline, when should you have carbs then if you trained in the evenings after work and dinner after training?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #15836

I don't see how you could train in the evenings on an IF diet
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #15837
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
From leangains:

Quote:
Two pre-workout meals

This is the usual protocol for people with normal working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #15838

I see, so you don't work out fasted
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #15839
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
From leangains:
no breakfast?

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #15840
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
2 much to handle
Get shredded the normal way
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #15841
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Do you guys take creatine with your protein shakes?
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #15842
RS Operative (G)

^^^^ take it with green tea
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #15843

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
^^^^ take it with green tea
Says the white guy. JOKES bro!

Is it more effective with green tea?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #15844
RS Operative (G)

Yeah
Dissolves better
And it's healthy so why not
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #15845

HALo how old are you btw?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #15846
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
Yup
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #15847
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Halo and strykn and others have been preaching about creatine with green tea...so im just going to listen to that when i get back on it :P
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #15848
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Doing the "gauntlet" today, 5 reps 1 set in a cycle, 2plates Bench --> 2plates Squat --> 2plate deadlift... how many rounds i can do until i collapse.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #15849
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
I take it with weight gainer

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #15850
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Doing the "gauntlet" today, 5 reps 1 set in a cycle, 2plates Bench --> 2plates Squat --> 2plate deadlift... how many rounds i can do until i collapse.
how did you feel about it? You feel like it gave you a better pump than your normal routine? Think ur gonna get more shredded from it?