REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #21326
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
Skip crossfit. It's a fucking joke.
I don't do cross fit either, but I would like to know why you would make such a bold statement like that.

In terms of strength and hypertrophy, the average body builder probably has an upper hand on cross fitters, in with regards to overall fitness, cross fitters would OWN body builders.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #21327
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I don't do cross fit either, but I would like to know why you would make such a bold statement like that.

In terms of strength and hypertrophy, the average body builder probably has an upper hand on cross fitters, in with regards to overall fitness, cross fitters would OWN body builders.
says who?

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #21328
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
There is a reason why middle age women and men do cross fit, it's easy and they can do it as a group, and they come up with the stupidest exercises so they can feel good.

You don't see these cross fitters in the gym doing what bb's do that's to hard for them so they created cross fit so they can do barrel rolls while dead lifting
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #21329
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,477 Times in 1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
Still waiting on 4 percent body fat pics instant
Posted via RS Mobile
Hahaha Instant you said you're 4 percent? Ill take pics of that at the gym, cause you're not

By the way, I haven't seen you around?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #21330
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
Oh shit the callouts begin!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #21331
RS Operative (G)

Just hit 260 boiiiii
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #21332
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
The worst thing about crossfit is that the idiots that do it actually think they're doing themselves any good.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #21333
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Hahaha Instant you said you're 4 percent? Ill take pics of that at the gym, cause you're not

Blackkidohsnap.gif
Posted via RS Mobile
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #21334
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
says who?
Because cross fitters tend to train for stamina and endurance
Posted via RS Mobile
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #21335
RS Operative (G)

Might need a cross fit thread

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #21336
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
says who?
says me.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #21337
RS Veteran

Quote:
There is a reason why middle age women and men do cross fit, it's easy and they can do it as a group, and they come up with the stupidest exercises so they can feel good.

You don't see these cross fitters in the gym doing what bb's do that's to hard for them so they created cross fit so they can do barrel rolls while dead lifting
those middle age women you speak of may not be able to lift as heavy as you, but their overall fitness would humiliate you.

Do cross fitters have terrible form? Some do , yes.. That's the results of cross fit caring more about money, and not being able to/wanting to supervise their clients in a group setting...

with that said, imo, cross fit is more functional than body building exercises.

Like I said, I have never done cross fit, nor will I ever, but it is amazing how body builders are probably the most narrow minded out of all fitness enthusiasts... a close second would be the cult they call yoga
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #21338
RS Operative (G)

I play squash at 260 and still fucking slay runners and cross fitters
Have u ever played a full game of squash before ?
Lol body builders narrow minded good one.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #21339
RS Veteran

Quote:
I play squash at 260 and still fucking slay runners and cross fitters
Have u ever played a full game of squash before ?
Lol body builders narrow minded good one.
Posted via RS Mobile
okay, you're good at squash. good on ya
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #21340
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts

Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #21341
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
okay, you're good at squash. good on ya
I'm not going to fight about cross fit not point
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #21342

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
those middle age women you speak of may not be able to lift as heavy as you, but their overall fitness would humiliate you.

Do cross fitters have terrible form? Some do , yes.. That's the results of cross fit caring more about money, and not being able to/wanting to supervise their clients in a group setting...

Like I said, I have never done cross fit, nor will I ever, but it is amazing how body builders are probably the most narrow minded out of all fitness enthusiasts... a close second would be the cult they call yoga
the only good thing about cross fit is that they emphasize olympic lifts like clean nd jerk etc

the rest of the stuff is just garbage....resistant band exercises?

you know whats more functional than both cross fit and body building...? powerlifting/olympic lifting
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #21343
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This is my 2 cents. I'm no expert in the field of training. Just going by I have learned over the past few years and I may not be right in all cases but I hope it somewhat makes sense. It's short and probably leaves out a bunch of stuff.

Every type of workout enthusiast has a different focus and perception on training. Bodybuilding, powerlifting, sport specific athletic training, this so called cross fit training and your average joe.

Bodybuilding focuses on aesthetics and technique along with diet to improve muscle size and minimize body fat (in the sense of competitive bodybuilding) and overall health. Of course bulk phase when gaining size. Using overall simple movements and some more difficult and intermediate lifts.

Powerlifters just lift heavy shit and put it back down. Of course they are concerned with technique but when the real heavy lifting starts technique will begin to break down slightly. Diet consists of eating and more eating.

Sport specific training focuses on the movements of your sport and how to maximize your ability in speed, strength and endurance. I train this way and my workout program is based on olympic movements, squats and deadlifts combined with accessory movements to utilize the smaller muscles involved.

I'd put cross fit in a category where it focuses on the people with no workout intelligence and it's there to make them think they are becoming "fit" although with the lack of technique and an IQ they are just fucking themselves by useless shit and overpaying for a trainer that doesn't know anything.

The average joe is just your average joe that goes to the gym not to so much improve his aesthetics and get jacked but to look healthy in a socially accepted way.
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #21344
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Sounds like you're comparing the average gym goer that lifts 4 months out of a year to Rich Froning. A real body builder imo is someone that has improved their physique signifcantly and would own average cross fitters in terms of strength and hypertrophy as much as the cross fitters would own in overall fitness. It's really comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
Functional is such a relative term. Cross fit is more functional... if you're function is cross fit! When it comes to functional for sports, who cares, in the end sport specific skill training is king. Don't expect you can pick up a new sport and dominate just because you do Cross fit.. nope, you will still suck like all the other noobs to the sport.

Last edited by red_sir; 10-05-2012 at 01:55 PM.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #21345
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

Stopped going to golds a few months ago haha.. It was a really nice gym though. Just working out at the ubc gym and the gym that I work at right now.

Never said I was at exactly 4 percent, halo just put me on the spot lol... But ill guarantee you Im pretty damn close..
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by instantneedles; 10-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #21346
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:

Im actually going to agree with redsir on this one. Bodybuilding is a sport so you cant really claim an athlete for being narrow minded in their sport. They are training to maximize results within their sport.

I think the main problem with crossfit is its cultlike mentality, lack of exercise progression, lack of careful and detailed modifications for those with injuries/conditions.

And this is coming from my own individual opinion, but the idea of timing people while they perform olympic style lifts, lifts that require good form and have a small margin for error when we speak of injuries, isnt all that appealing to me. Whether we like to think that way or not, we can cheat a bit when we do pushups for time, so that really wont be that big of a problem, but rushing through an olympic lift could mean a herniation. As soon as the time factor comes into play with competition, form inevitably crumbles.

But as with anything, a good and knowledgeable instructor could make a world of a difference in ANY exercise regime.
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #21347
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #21348
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I gotta agree that the form of cross training that crossfit was derived from in its 'pure' sense is probably a pretty solid way of developing overall fitness. A variety of compound lifts with a reasonable amount of intensity. unfortunately the crossfit we know, is more of a huge personal training business than it is athletic training. We all talk shit on crossfit because of the lolery we see in videos etc. But there ARE some very fit crossfitters.

As far as BBers being the most fit, I doubt it. Anytime I watch a video of a BBer showing exercises on youtube they are gassed after doing 1 set of rear delt flies and can hardly breath well enough to talk into the video after. There are some athletic BBers but Id say its an exception, not the norm.

Halo just because you play squash doesn't mean bodybuilders are in good shape.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #21349

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Bombed my midterm today, and took my rage out at the gym.

Set a new record of 185x14 (12 reps last time I tried), and one rep short from my goal of 185x15 on the flat bench.

feelsgoodman.jpg
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #21350
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone know how to reduce/ eliminate muscle cramps after a leg workout?. I drink plently of water before and during the workout.
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote