REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #21576
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I have. If you heel drive hard and arch your back you can tweak it if you're not warmed up. I usually do seated cable rows before doing bench because it helps to tighten up and warm up your back to have a solid base
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #21577
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
when people mire your lifts at the gym

feelsrareman
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #21578
I am Hook'd on RS

Hey guys, just started doing SS about 4 weeks ago and I'm trying to perfect my form for the squats right now. Before I had a problem with not squatting with enough depth resulting in my quads doing most of the work, since then I had began remembering to push my knees out at the bottom so I can go below parallel.

Now when I squat below parallel my lower back seems to be doing all the work resulting in lower back pain and soreness. I had to lower the weight because it was stressing my lower back so much now. My question is, is this normal because I have a lower back or is it because something is wrong with my form? I looked in the mirror and noticed that my lower back is arched a lot normally. Should I be sticking my ass out or no? maybe the placement of the bar is not in the right place?
harrywang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #21579
Need to Seek Professional Help

Take a video and p[ost it next time. are you high bar or low bar squatting?
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #21580
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
how do you tweak your back doing bench?????
There is one and THE only reason why you could and would tweak your back. Lack of core stability.

And no core stability doesn't mean having great abs, it means you aren't able to stabilize your axial skeleton during your lift...

With bench press being the compound lift that it is, it's not surprising at all

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #21581
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
tour de france is sneaking up reall soooon... prob wont post, don't wanna demotivate you new guys

my 2 cents, you should only be having big back archs and legs way back on bench if your going for HEAVY weight im talking 3plates+, anything lower should be flat and use heal drive
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #21582
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
those aren't beastly stats
that's not actually that bad...

I know of a guy who has a 4 plate bench max and can only deadlift 2 plates, squat for 1 plate and that's if he decides to do them

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #21583

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post

I know of a guy who has a 4 plate bench max and can only deadlift 2 plates, squat for 1 plate and that's if he decides to do them
you should aware your guy there are a few muscle groups below the nipples.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #21584
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
That's pretty imbalanced.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #21585
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywang View Post
Hey guys, just started doing SS about 4 weeks ago and I'm trying to perfect my form for the squats right now. Before I had a problem with not squatting with enough depth resulting in my quads doing most of the work, since then I had began remembering to push my knees out at the bottom so I can go below parallel.

Now when I squat below parallel my lower back seems to be doing all the work resulting in lower back pain and soreness. I had to lower the weight because it was stressing my lower back so much now. My question is, is this normal because I have a lower back or is it because something is wrong with my form? I looked in the mirror and noticed that my lower back is arched a lot normally. Should I be sticking my ass out or no? maybe the placement of the bar is not in the right place?
it starts from the feet

if you find yourself not pushing through your heels and are unstable through your base thats pretty painful on your back
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #21586
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm low bar squatting, I can't take a video right now because I"m not working out till tomorrow, but I want to try to get this sorted out before my next workout.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #21587

maybe your legs are stronger than your lower back. have you only been lifting for 4 weeks total ever?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #21588
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Actually Scott told me to push my legs further back. Felt uncomfortable but did the lift anyways. Worst mistake of my life.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #21589
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

It can be a form thing or it can be just your mechanical leverages. If you have relatively long legs and a short torso you'll naturally end up bending over more at the bottom of the squat in order to keep the weight over your heels.

If you want to bend over less, and therefore put less stress on your lower back, you have to either work on your mobility so you can squat with a wider stance or switch to a high bar squat (assuming you are squatting low bar right now).

PS, having your back arched a lot normally is not good. Google anterior pelvic tilt and how to fix it!
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #21590
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
maybe your legs are stronger than your lower back. have you only been lifting for 4 weeks total ever?
I started the program 4 weeks ago so yes basically pretty much. I do shitty dumbbell squats at home before but those aren't really worth mentioning. I've only been going under parallel for maybe 2 weeks now so maybe my back is more weaker then my legs? I don't know. It's not much pain just the fact that I think i"m putting to much stress on my lower back. Could the rounding of the back cause this?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #21591
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Actually Scott told me to push my legs further back. Felt uncomfortable but did the lift anyways. Worst mistake of my life.
Posted via RS Mobile
Fine, no more tips for you!

PS. Maybe I should have mentioned I did a lot of foam rolling and stretching of my back and hip flexors before I bench.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #21592
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:

I had this issue when I first started lifting. My lower back would round so much that I'd start to get severe pain while playing hockey, or staying on my feet too long. The squat is hard to perfect, but lower the weight till you get the form totally down.

I found that once I started doing low bar squats, it was easier to avoid having my lower back round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post

It's not bad if you just started lifting, and it's definitely far from being "pretty beast." The guy you know sounds like a typical brolifter. That, or he has back issues.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #21593
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
I started the program 4 weeks ago so yes basically pretty much. I do shitty dumbbell squats at home before but those aren't really worth mentioning. I've only been going under parallel for maybe 2 weeks now so maybe my back is more weaker then my legs? I don't know. It's not much pain just the fact that I think i"m putting to much stress on my lower back. Could the rounding of the back cause this?
By rounding of the back do you mean your lower back rounding when you get to the bottom of the squat? If so then yes, rounding of the back is very hard on your back. Only squat as low as you can without your lower back rounding. Work on your mobility (especially hammies) and you'll eventually be able to squat lower with a neutral back.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #21594
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
tour de france is sneaking up reall soooon... prob wont post, don't wanna demotivate you new guys

my 2 cents, you should only be having big back archs and legs way back on bench if your going for HEAVY weight im talking 3plates+, anything lower should be flat and use heal drive
Don't worry about us... make sure you post progress pics!
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #21595
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
I had this issue when I first started lifting. My lower back would round so much that I'd start to get severe pain while playing hockey, or staying on my feet too long. The squat is hard to perfect, but lower the weight till you get the form totally down.

I found that once I started doing low bar squats, it was easier to avoid having my lower back round.

It's not bad if you just started lifting, and it's definitely far from being "pretty beast." The guy you know sounds like a typical brolifter. That, or he has back issues.
Oh, he's a brolifter for sure, there's no doubt about that

Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #21596
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
perhaps you should have tried it on a light weight first before going right into it

Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #21597
I am Hook'd on RS

Yes I mean by when I go down below parallel, I think my back round. My friend said I lean to forward at the bottom, could this be related to my lower back issues? Nevertheless I guess I'll have to lower the weight until I get the form down to perfection...and here I thought I was doing pretty good squatting a plate on my 4th week =(
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #21598
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I place my feet. On the bench to prevent myself to arch my back eh.
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #21599
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
I have. If you heel drive hard and arch your back you can tweak it if you're not warmed up. I usually do seated cable rows before doing bench because it helps to tighten up and warm up your back to have a solid base
I was being sarcastic in my post... as I am not a believer in arching my back during bench press, but let's not open that can of worms.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #21600
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beproud View Post
I place my feet. On the bench to prevent myself to arch my back eh.
Would not advise that, takes the stability of your core out of the picture for bench resulting in less power output.

For me personally, a back arch for bench is more natural than keeping a flat back. Obviously you don't need a ridiculous bridge like:

but enough that your traps are digging into the bench.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: